NATION

PASSWORD

Mandatory paternity testing

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:07 pm

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I think people are against it because it perhaps assumes by default that all women are thots.

"Potentially" thots, not necessarily actually thots. You know, like how all men are "potential rapists?"

Let's find out which ones are and which ones aren't. What have they to hide?

Free Arabian Nation wrote:Aye

Yeah, not every girl is your Ex OP

First NSG makes me out to be a loner who can't get laid. Now it makes be out to be bitter about a relationship in which I supposedly did get laid. The former is marginally closer to the truth, (reality's more along the lines of "find out what I'll be dealing with before I have to deal with it") but the contradiction speaks volumes.

If you consider all women potential whores, then you have a problem.
Purgatio wrote:This wouldn't be a problem if we created a national DNA database, with a person's DNA entered into the database from a drawn blood sample from the moment of birth. Not only would issues like paternity and child support obligations be determined automatically, but it would allow us to solve many violent crimes through a simpler and streamlined process.

And have people denied medical insurance wholesale as well. No thanks.
Last edited by Katganistan on Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Katganistan wrote:
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:"Potentially" thots, not necessarily actually thots. You know, like how all men are "potential rapists?"

Let's find out which ones are and which ones aren't. What have they to hide?

First NSG makes me out to be a loner who can't get laid. Now it makes be out to be bitter about a relationship in which I supposedly did get laid. The former is marginally closer to the truth, (reality's more along the lines of "find out what I'll be dealing with before I have to deal with it") but the contradiction speaks volumes.

If you consider all women potential whores, then you have a problem.

Nothing says misogyny more than #1 assuming all women are promiscuous and #2 shaming a woman for being promiscuous to begin with. It's like claiming all men are big and ripped. No, not all men are and even if they were, does that matter?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:11 pm

Galloism wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Having a kid is too damm expensive as it is, why do things to raise the cost for no good reason.

Compared to the cost of having a child, a paternity test is damn near free. It's somewhere around $150.

150 bucks here, 150 bucks there, soon we are talking real money.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:11 pm

The Sherpa Empire wrote:
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:Not really. Rape, by its original definition, requires a penis,

Expect a lecture if Gallo ever reads this.

Women can absolutely be rapists.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Galloism wrote:Compared to the cost of having a child, a paternity test is damn near free. It's somewhere around $150.

I’d honestly recommend keeping it in your pants if the $150 start becoming a monthly expense. :p
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:13 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The Sherpa Empire wrote:
Expect a lecture if Gallo ever reads this.

Women can absolutely be rapists.

I think society cares even less about females raping men than the other way around. Unfortunately when a man is raped by a woman, the common response when he tells someone is "wait, you didn't like it?" Men get raped all the time and don't report it because they'll be named and shamed for being a victim of a crime against them. It's disgraceful
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:14 pm

Page wrote:There should certainly be a paternity test before a man is legally listed as the father of the child if he does not think he is the father, and paternity should always be proven before anyone is compelled to pay child support, but I see no reason why everyone should be tested if there is no paternity dispute.

To protect men in abusive situations. My compromise position would be to offer it for free, and for it to be mandatory to offer it to the man in private away from the woman in strict confidence, so that men who suspect paternity fraud but cannot say so have the opportunity to say so.

But this does not protect men who are the most controlled or the most trusting.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:14 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:What about doing it for equality purposes?

What equality purposes?

Just because the woman knows 100% sure it is hers man should too?

Yes? It's been a factor in gender inequality for a long time and played a huge role in why women were often so cloistered. Having it as a norm would give men equal knowledge as to parenthood and also erase the biggest reasons for male control over women.
Last edited by Napkizemlja on Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't cry because it's coming to an end, smile because it happened.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:The only time I’d be for paternity tests is when there is a strong reason to have one: finding if a child belongs to one of the parents, to find a lost parent or when a parent is refusing to take responsibility for a child. Other than that, nope.

I'm inclined to agree, although I do have concerns about medical history. It seems a little off, to me, that such important information can essentially be withheld from an adult child by refusal to take a paternity test. I'm not saying adult children should have a right to demand a paternity test but I'm not convinced it shouldn't be so, either. In general I'm against making people do thing but this one is a chin stroker.
Insert trite farewell here

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Look man, let's keep it 100. Everybody's gangster till the baby has red hair and only the mom has red hair.

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Caracasus wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:What about doing it for equality purposes?

What? Well I guess if both parties are paranoid insecure people who equally distrust each other I guess it'd make for good reality TV?

This is assuming the request is done out of paranoia and distrust as opposed to wishing for equal levels of knowledge in regards to parenthood. You don't support sexism, do you?
Don't cry because it's coming to an end, smile because it happened.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:The only time I’d be for paternity tests is when there is a strong reason to have one: finding if a child belongs to one of the parents, to find a lost parent or when a parent is refusing to take responsibility for a child. Other than that, nope.

I'm inclined to agree, although I do have concerns about medical history. It seems a little off, to me, that such important information can essentially be withheld from an adult child by refusal to take a paternity test. I'm not saying adult children should have a right to demand a paternity test but I'm not convinced it shouldn't be so, either. In general I'm against making people do thing but this one is a chin stroker.

I think the issue is the mandatory aspect of it. These are certainly scenarios to consider, though.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:19 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I'm inclined to agree, although I do have concerns about medical history. It seems a little off, to me, that such important information can essentially be withheld from an adult child by refusal to take a paternity test. I'm not saying adult children should have a right to demand a paternity test but I'm not convinced it shouldn't be so, either. In general I'm against making people do thing but this one is a chin stroker.

I think the issue is the mandatory aspect of it. These are certainly scenarios to consider, though.

By making it mandatory we ensure the protection of vulnerable men. It is a form of herd immunity. It sidesteps the issue of women being offended by men requesting a paternity test by enforcing a collective action of solidarity.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

I’d honestly recommend keeping it in your pants if the $150 start becoming a monthly expense. :p

Dating isn't cheap.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

By making it mandatory we ensure the protection of vulnerable men. It is a form of herd immunity. It sidesteps the issue of women being offended by men requesting a paternity test by enforcing a collective action of solidarity.

Wouldn’t it be better to just use these tests when there’s a compelling reason to instead of forcing them? I understand where you’re coming from but I still think mandating them is too much.
Slava Ukraini

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:24 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Assuming the man in question already has access to the kid he really doesn't need to care if she's offended. She doesn't actually need to know. Her consent is not needed if the man is already considered the father.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:24 pm

Napkizemlja wrote:
Caracasus wrote:
What? Well I guess if both parties are paranoid insecure people who equally distrust each other I guess it'd make for good reality TV?

This is assuming the request is done out of paranoia and distrust as opposed to wishing for equal levels of knowledge in regards to parenthood. You don't support sexism, do you?

I'll be honest I'm not entirely following you here. It looks like you are trying to do some kind of gotcha but I'm not exactly seeing the dots here.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
Galloism wrote:I mean, it's a little bit like the current paradigm where we mandate by law that insurance must cover basically every kind of birth control for women, but no birth control of any sort for men. This was argued in favor of due to women's unique biology, where a pregnancy harms her more than a man.

This is viewed by said proponents as equality - correcting for a biological inequality.

If that's the version of equality you subscribe to, then yes - free paternity tests would be a form of correcting a biological inequality, as a woman can be certain of her parentage, but a man cannot.

As far as I know, pessarium or womens condoms are not payed for by health insurance.

But I would applaud condoms in the health insurance. They are actually preventing some illnesses and pregnancies.
Most birth control methods that are being payed for by health insurance don't. But they do change hormonal levels in her body, can damage her ability to reproduce and can increase the risk of cancer, thrombosis and cardiac arrest.

And from personal experience, decrease the libido.

So we choose to use condoms.

Before we got pregnant, we talked about it. We actually got married because of the parental rights of the father.
We knew that we wanted kids and from each other. If we would feel the need to have children with another person, we will talk about it first. Same as when we feel the need to go out with some one else.

I think that open communication and trust are better than free paternity tests

Women's condoms aren't paid for, but a lot of other things are - even other barrier methods.

Covered contraceptive methods
FDA-approved contraceptive methods prescribed by a woman’s doctor are covered, including:

Barrier methods, like diaphragms and sponges
Hormonal methods, like birth control pills and vaginal rings
Implanted devices, like intrauterine devices (IUDs)
Emergency contraception, like Plan B® and ella®
Sterilization procedures
Patient education and counseling

Plans aren’t required to cover drugs to induce abortions and services for male reproductive capacity, like vasectomies.

https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/bir ... -benefits/

Even though tubal ligation is covered by health insurance (mandated by law, remember), vasectomies are not. This was argued on the notion that only women get pregnant, a medical condition, and therefore only women need contraception paid for. Men can (literally and figuratively) go screw themselves.

If that's the type of equality you subscribe to, where government policy can correct biological equality, free or mandated paternity tests make sense - as due to man's unique biology, he can't be certain of parentage, unlike women.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I'm inclined to agree, although I do have concerns about medical history. It seems a little off, to me, that such important information can essentially be withheld from an adult child by refusal to take a paternity test. I'm not saying adult children should have a right to demand a paternity test but I'm not convinced it shouldn't be so, either. In general I'm against making people do thing but this one is a chin stroker.

Do you think it would it be reasonable to mandate in the situation I described?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Purgatio wrote:This wouldn't be a problem if we created a national DNA database, with a person's DNA entered into the database from a drawn blood sample from the moment of birth. Not only would issues like paternity and child support obligations be determined automatically, but it would allow us to solve many violent crimes through a simpler and streamlined process.

And have people denied medical insurance wholesale as well. No thanks.

Actually, that would be against the law. We specified what factors can be used for price setting, and DNA makeup is not one of them. And flat denial is illegal.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Do you think it would it be reasonable to mandate in the situation I described?

For adult sons or daughters? I think it would depend on the reason for them wanting one.
Slava Ukraini

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Galloism wrote:
Caracasus wrote:
Ah different countries. Over here you can get rubbers for free and vasectomies via sexual health clinics and a buncha other places and/or the NHS.

Yeah. Ours doesn't do that.

Explicitly.

Covered contraceptive methods
FDA-approved contraceptive methods prescribed by a woman’s doctor are covered, including:

Barrier methods, like diaphragms and sponges
Hormonal methods, like birth control pills and vaginal rings
Implanted devices, like intrauterine devices (IUDs)
Emergency contraception, like Plan B® and ella®
Sterilization procedures
Patient education and counseling

Plans aren’t required to cover drugs to induce abortions and services for male reproductive capacity, like vasectomies.

That's a government website, btw.

Except if her employer is religious.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Galloism wrote:Yeah. Ours doesn't do that.

Explicitly.

That's a government website, btw.

Except if her employer is religious.

Yes, if her employer is religious and files for an exemption with the government and it's a closely held company and meets certain other tests, yes, women may be treated just like men in some circumstances instead of being privileged by law on the basis of sex.
Last edited by Galloism on Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serrus
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Serrus » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:30 pm

That's a blood test isn't it?
If it is, f**k that noise, this ain't Newsflesh bub.
If it isn't, f**k that noise, this ain't Unwind bub.
Katganistan wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:maybe japan wanted the zombie attack.

Possible. Zombies are cool now.

Eastern Raarothorgren wrote:News websites are good and reasonable soruces of information or they would not be on the internet if they were saying things that were incorrect.

This is why rules exist, kids!
Keshiland wrote:I am yes arguing that the 1st 4 are not binding to the states and yes I know that in most Republican states they would ban the freedom of religion and the freedom of essembally but I don't live there and I hate guns!

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Women can absolutely be rapists.

I think society cares even less about females raping men than the other way around. Unfortunately when a man is raped by a woman, the common response when he tells someone is "wait, you didn't like it?" Men get raped all the time and don't report it because they'll be named and shamed for being a victim of a crime against them. It's disgraceful

No argument here.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General