NATION

PASSWORD

Mandatory paternity testing

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Andsed
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10043
Founded: Aug 24, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Andsed » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:07 am

Don´t see any real reason that we need to make it mandatory and I suspect the reasoning behind making it mandatory is iffy but okay I guess it is a pretty harmless suggestion.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

User avatar
Nova Cyberia
Senator
 
Posts: 4456
Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:07 am

Purgatio wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Considering the inherent biases of our courts against men that's a bit iffy.


Paternity fraud is literally an open and shut case. The tort of deceit means you can claim compensation for any deception, whether deliberate or in reckless disregard for the truth, which results in consequential economic loss. Paternity fraud fits the bill. Just show the kid isn't yours and you raised him all these years and you'll win damages, simple.

I mean, there are literally cases in this country where men are forced to pay for children who they know are not theirs.

So I doubt it's as open and shut as you believe.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
Lower Nubia
Minister
 
Posts: 2228
Founded: Dec 22, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lower Nubia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:08 am

Necroghastia wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:Current studies suggest 10% of children are raised unknowingly, by mother and “dad”, by the wrong father.

So, yes.


Studies like...?


I know it’s Wikipedia, but the 10% was told to me by a lecturer who did genetic analysis for work in hereditary genetic conditions, obviously paternity is important here - including faux paternity.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Economically Centre-left
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 19th March, 2020

User avatar
Estanglia
Senator
 
Posts: 3618
Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Estanglia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:08 am

If the man requests a paternity test, it should be allowed. Other than that, no, paternity tests shouldn't be mandatory.

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:
Heloin wrote:Both of those sentiments are sexist.

Not really. Rape, by its original definition, requires a penis, hence the notion that women can only be potential sexual assaulters, at most.


Rape committed against men involves penises, though.
Yeah: Egalitarianism, equality
Meh: Labour, the EU
Nah: pointless discrimination, authoritarianism, Brexit, Trump, both American parties, the Conservatives
I flop between "optimistic about the future" and "pessimistic about the future" every time I go on NSG.

(Taken 29/08/2020)
Political compass test:
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

8values thinks I'm a Libertarian Socialist.

Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11203
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:08 am

Purgatio wrote:This wouldn't be a problem if we created a national DNA database, with a person's DNA entered into the database from a drawn blood sample from the moment of birth. Not only would issues like paternity and child support obligations be determined automatically, but it would allow us to solve many violent crimes through a simpler and streamlined process.

While Im not opposed to a DNA database, this would heavily increase the chances of random sex with individual during party leads to surprise child support payments, and other such cases similar to it. Furthermore, it also does risk hurting relationships, which is another major problem of this. Especially early age children who's parents havent formed a strong enough bond to overcome the feelings of betrayal.
Name: Ted
Ideology: Capitalism
Political Compass: Social Libertarian for some reason
Race: Vampire
Political Side: Right
Favorite Senator: Ted Cruz (Ted's have to help out Ted's)
Status: Healthy and as strong as a starved ox
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

User avatar
Nova Cyberia
Senator
 
Posts: 4456
Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:10 am

Attempted Socialism wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Or perhaps the father just can't write as big of a check as the last one.
Yeah, because naturally women decide who to claim child support from based on the ability to pay. You really don't have any issues coming off as a massive misogynist, do you?

Are we supposed to just pretend that raising children doesn't require a boatload of money?

No one's being shamed. Men just don't really feel like being financially and legally on the hook for the rest of their lives for a baby that's not even theirs. Or are we expected to by default assume that all women are virtuous angels who would never sleep with anyone else?

And tbqh, if you slept around and end up with a baby who's not your SO's offspring then you absolutely deserve to be shamed.
You say that you're not shaming anyone... and in the sentence right after, you're shaming literally all women, building in the premise that they're all automatically and entirely untrustworthy, to the point where even if a man trusts a woman, he has to be forced to have a paternity test.
You also started out referring to single women, now it's women with SO's sleeping around. At least get your misogynist stories straight.

Not really. In fact, my philosophy on this is pretty simple.

Trust, but verify.

Do you have any actual arguments beyond shrieking "misogynist"?
Last edited by Nova Cyberia on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
The South Falls
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13354
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The South Falls » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:11 am

It should be optional, with both parent's consent required. Often, people are so apprehensive of their reputation being sullied (if it is placed on the line), that they will blunder their way into under taking one.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.


Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

User avatar
Attempted Socialism
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1059
Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Attempted Socialism » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:13 am

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Attempted Socialism wrote:Yeah, because naturally women decide who to claim child support from based on the ability to pay. You really don't have any issues coming off as a massive misogynist, do you?

Are we supposed to just pretend that raising children doesn't require a boatload of money?
Getting child support from who you thought was the father, getting child support from who was actually the father... the cost of raising kids on your own doesn't change.

You say that you're not shaming anyone... and in the sentence right after, you're shaming literally all women, building in the premise that they're all automatically and entirely untrustworthy, to the point where even if a man trusts a woman, he has to be forced to have a paternity test.
You also started out referring to single women, now it's women with SO's sleeping around. At least get your misogynist stories straight.

Not really. In fact, my philosophy on this is pretty simple.

Trust, but verify.

Do you have any actual arguments beyond shrieking "misogynist"?
You conveniently didn't read the conversation we've had?


Represented in the World Assembly by
Ambassador and Chairperson of the Executive International Relations Committee
Marcie Elizabeth 'MacBeth' Illum
Cui Bono, quod seipsos custodes custodiunt?
Ivory Tower Critical-Realistic Sardonic Marxist Curmudgeon
Danish Political Scientist Seeks True Love Tenure
Specialities: State development; corruption; IR theory; Vodka
Experiences: Office-running; political campaigns; navigating byzantine academia politics

User avatar
Nova Cyberia
Senator
 
Posts: 4456
Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:19 am

Attempted Socialism wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Are we supposed to just pretend that raising children doesn't require a boatload of money?
Getting child support from who you thought was the father, getting child support from who was actually the father... the cost of raising kids on your own doesn't change.

No... it doesn't.

I'm not talking about the cost changing. I'm talking about having less money to spend.

Do I need to start using crayons to get you to understand the fairly simple words I'm saying?

Not really. In fact, my philosophy on this is pretty simple.

Trust, but verify.

Do you have any actual arguments beyond shrieking "misogynist"?
You conveniently didn't read the conversation we've had?

Yes, I did. You're whining about me apparently assuming all women are untrustworthy.

So I'll reiterate again my fairly simple philosophy of "Trust, but verify."
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
Thepeopl
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1561
Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Thepeopl » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:20 am

If you want a paternity test, that is a sign something is wrong in your relationship. Why would your girlfriend/ wife sleep with others if she is happy with you?

I am for open honest curiosity and good communication. If you do that in your relationship, you can tell each other your fantasy, your dreams and your wishes to bed other people. (If that wish existed)

If you want kinky stuff or just rpg, talk about it, pay attention to your SO. And your SO will feel safe to do the same and feel no urge to sleep around behind your back.

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 192817
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:23 am

The only time I’d be for paternity tests is when there is a strong reason to have one: finding if a child belongs to one of the parents, to find a lost parent or when a parent is refusing to take responsibility for a child. Other than that, nope.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Attempted Socialism
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1059
Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Attempted Socialism » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:31 am

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Attempted Socialism wrote:Getting child support from who you thought was the father, getting child support from who was actually the father... the cost of raising kids on your own doesn't change.

No... it doesn't.

I'm not talking about the cost changing. I'm talking about having less money to spend.
You're talking like women decide who to claim is the father because they think they can get some men to... what? Pay extra? Bribe them to remain silent? Originally you were talking about child support. Is US child support based on income?

Do I need to start using crayons to get you to understand the fairly simple words I'm saying?
Making a coherent and valid argument would be a nice help, but I'm not holding my breath.

You conveniently didn't read the conversation we've had?

Yes, I did. You're whining about me apparently assuming all women are untrustworthy.

So I'll reiterate again my fairly simple philosophy of "Trust, but verify."
And here you're presuming that all women are inherently untrustworthy and should automatically be suspected of infidelity or fraud (And sloppy of me to forget that option before). It's libellous based solely on gender, and inherently demean their reputation, which is discriminatory towards women. I.e. it's a transgression against the rights of women. That was your original question. Your oft-repeated misogynistic "arguments" aside (Whether you wish to phrase it as just an outcome of your philosophy or not), discrimination normally not legal.


Represented in the World Assembly by
Ambassador and Chairperson of the Executive International Relations Committee
Marcie Elizabeth 'MacBeth' Illum
Cui Bono, quod seipsos custodes custodiunt?
Ivory Tower Critical-Realistic Sardonic Marxist Curmudgeon
Danish Political Scientist Seeks True Love Tenure
Specialities: State development; corruption; IR theory; Vodka
Experiences: Office-running; political campaigns; navigating byzantine academia politics

User avatar
The South Falls
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13354
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The South Falls » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:34 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:The only time I’d be for paternity tests is when there is a strong reason to have one: finding if a child belongs to one of the parents, to find a lost parent or when a parent is refusing to take responsibility for a child. Other than that, nope.

May I add, contested inheritances seem to be grounds enough, as many people "know" their kids were from a prior relationship and affair, and subsequently deny them their due.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.


Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

User avatar
Stellar Colonies
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1544
Founded: Mar 27, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 am

Maybe it shouldn't be a automatic thing, but it should absolutely happen if either partner wants it.

Always best to know.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Day 188 of 'Stay-At-Home Order'

Native of The East Pacific and Northern California


Stellar Colonies / the Confederation of Human Systems is a confederation which loosely unites a third of the Milky Way galaxy.

The WA embassy within the Confederacy is at Ida Station (243 Ida in the Sol System), a Confederate member state which joined the WA to represent Confederate interests.

An Incomplete List of Ida's Interpretations of WA Resolutions

Add 3000 years for the date I use.

If you want a mental image of me: Straight, white male.

I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

Also, I'm diagnosed as a high-functioning autistic.

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11203
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:39 am

Attempted Socialism wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:No... it doesn't.

I'm not talking about the cost changing. I'm talking about having less money to spend.
You're talking like women decide who to claim is the father because they think they can get some men to... what? Pay extra? Bribe them to remain silent? Originally you were talking about child support. Is US child support based on income?

I think his arguement is that if women can afford providing for the child vary the payment based off that. If the individual can make plenty of money on her own, the male shouldnt have to pay as much, but if the individual has difficulty the pay for the male should be more.

Do I need to start using crayons to get you to understand the fairly simple words I'm saying?
Making a coherent and valid argument would be a nice help, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think you probably out to calm down and take a nice slow read before posting. Things get heated and misread all the time.

Yes, I did. You're whining about me apparently assuming all women are untrustworthy.

So I'll reiterate again my fairly simple philosophy of "Trust, but verify."
And here you're presuming that all women are inherently untrustworthy and should automatically be suspected of infidelity or fraud (And sloppy of me to forget that option before). It's libellous based solely on gender, and inherently demean their reputation, which is discriminatory towards women. I.e. it's a transgression against the rights of women. That was your original question. Your oft-repeated misogynistic "arguments" aside (Whether you wish to phrase it as just an outcome of your philosophy or not), discrimination normally not legal.

His argument has been firmly, "lets play it safe and find out," nothings distrusting in a attitude like that.
Name: Ted
Ideology: Capitalism
Political Compass: Social Libertarian for some reason
Race: Vampire
Political Side: Right
Favorite Senator: Ted Cruz (Ted's have to help out Ted's)
Status: Healthy and as strong as a starved ox
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator
 
Posts: 4364
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:39 am

Attempted Socialism wrote:You mean the mandatory slut-shaming and distrust based on her gender for no viable reason at all?

Firstly, no one is owed anyone's trust. It's a privilege, not a right.

Secondly, there is no real male equivalent of feeling the baby emerge from one's womb, so the phrase "based on her gender" would more accurately be described as "based on the real-world implications of the very definition of biological sex."

Thirdly... wouldn't mandatory paternity testing, if anything, yield the comparative advantage to sluts who are honest about being sluts, over the ones who aren't? Wouldn't that be the opposite of slut-shaming?


Attempted Socialism wrote:You're proposing a policy change on the basis that all women are automatically suspected of infidelity, and you can't see how that's a transgression?

Is having locks on your doors an automatic accusation against everyone else of attempted burglary, or a reasonable precaution?


Attempted Socialism wrote:In my country, that insinuation would be libellous (And the discrimination based on gender makes it a rights violation).

But there is no male equivalent ANYWAY. How does the word "discrimination" even apply to something that by definition cannot be gender-neutral?
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:1. The PRC is not a Communist State, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
2. The CCP is not a Communist Party, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
3. Xi Jinping and his cronies are not Communists, as they have shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.

How do we know this? Because the first step toward Communism is Socialism, and none of the aforementioned are even remotely Socialist in any way, shape, or form.

User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator
 
Posts: 4364
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:43 am

Attempted Socialism wrote:Yeah, because naturally women decide who to claim child support from based on the ability to pay.

Well, does she have any reason not to?

Being that it's physically impossible by the very definition of male and female for males to do any "opposite-sex equivalent" of the issue being described here, the word misogynist, by definition, cannot apply.

Sometimes it lookst like the best case for mandatory paternity testing is the irrationality of its opponents.
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:1. The PRC is not a Communist State, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
2. The CCP is not a Communist Party, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
3. Xi Jinping and his cronies are not Communists, as they have shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.

How do we know this? Because the first step toward Communism is Socialism, and none of the aforementioned are even remotely Socialist in any way, shape, or form.

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 106812
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:45 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:Not really. Rape, by its original definition, requires a penis,


Expect a lecture if Gallo ever reads this.

:lol:
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 66139
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:45 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
The South Falls wrote:What about female maternity tests? thonk about that


Indeed. I have a story.

After 10 years, the wife starts to think their kid looks kinda strange so she decides to do a DNA test.

She finds out that the kid is actually from completely different parents.

Wife: Honey, I have something very serious to tell you

Husband: What’s up?

Wife: According to DNA test results, this is not our kid

Husband: Well you dont’t remember, do you?? When we were leaving the hospital, we noticed that our baby had pooped. Then you said: - Please go change the baby, I’ll wait for you here. So I went inside, got a clean one and left the dirty one there

I'll admit it, I laughed.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 66139
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:47 am

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:
Heloin wrote:Both of those sentiments are sexist.

Not really. Rape, by its original definition, requires a penis, hence the notion that women can only be potential sexual assaulters, at most. Likewise, women know the baby's hers, because they felt the baby emerge from their own womb. Men have no way of knowing this.

<insert lecture here>
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator
 
Posts: 4364
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:49 am

Thepeopl wrote:If you want a paternity test, that is a sign something is wrong in your relationship. Why would your girlfriend/ wife sleep with others if she is happy with you?

Who knows? Certainly not males, who've failed to predict infidelity time and time again. It's almost as if testosterone doesn't help you predict the effects of estrogen and progesterone or something.


Thepeopl wrote:I am for open honest curiosity and good communication. If you do that in your relationship, you can tell each other your fantasy, your dreams and your wishes to bed other people. (If that wish existed)

And what better way to incentivize honesty than to tell the dishonest that they'll eventually get caught?


Thepeopl wrote:If you want kinky stuff or just rpg, talk about it, pay attention to your SO. And your SO will feel safe to do the same and feel no urge to sleep around behind your back.

Once again, the phrase "that's what they all say" applies. People keep pretending others' motives are predictable, and they're wrong all the time.

So why not use something more real, like DNA tests, to figure out WHO is cheating (and with whom, I might add; I'm surprised the thread got to page 3 without anyone pointing out it catches men who sleep with other men's girlfriends too) before we can speculate about why?
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:1. The PRC is not a Communist State, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
2. The CCP is not a Communist Party, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
3. Xi Jinping and his cronies are not Communists, as they have shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.

How do we know this? Because the first step toward Communism is Socialism, and none of the aforementioned are even remotely Socialist in any way, shape, or form.

User avatar
Napkizemlja
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1837
Founded: Apr 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:52 am

I'm not sold on mandatory testing, but women shouldn't feel offended if a man asks for one. For equality purposes I'd say it should become a norm.
Don't cry because it's coming to an end, smile because it happened.

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 106812
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:52 am

Galloism wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
Indeed. I have a story.

After 10 years, the wife starts to think their kid looks kinda strange so she decides to do a DNA test.

She finds out that the kid is actually from completely different parents.

Wife: Honey, I have something very serious to tell you

Husband: What’s up?

Wife: According to DNA test results, this is not our kid

Husband: Well you dont’t remember, do you?? When we were leaving the hospital, we noticed that our baby had pooped. Then you said: - Please go change the baby, I’ll wait for you here. So I went inside, got a clean one and left the dirty one there

I'll admit it, I laughed.

I wish I had shown that much forethought.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Fedele
Attaché
 
Posts: 70
Founded: Apr 23, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Fedele » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:52 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I think people are against it because it perhaps assumes by default that all women are thots.

Having a kid is too damm expensive as it is, why do things to raise the cost for no good reason.


As a father of four, I second this.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 66139
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:52 am

Attempted Socialism wrote:The only argumentin I can see for why a woman would not pursue the actual father (If she even knows herself) would be power disparity; namely, a father with the power to contest parentage in court. I'd guess their financial situation is either unchanged or better. Your argument is even worse than I thought.


Actually, it's likely because that man already thinks (or suspects) he's the father, and she wants to pursue a relationship with him. She then uses the child as a bargaining chip to further that end. Keep in mind, a number of fathers who are not fathers were actually married to the mother at the time - her lying about parentage is necessary to preserve the relationship she has. If she admits the child is not his, the relationship is likely very much over, and she doesn't want it to be over, so she has extremely strong reasons to lie.

And we know that this happens. We also know there's mistaken paternity - where women think that a man is the father, and he isn't. Frequency of these we're not certain.

The consensus figure is 4% - about one in 25.

https://www.livescience.com/375-surpris ... ather.html

Notably however, there's a hugely wide variance in literature:

Researchers pawed through a host of scientific articles published around the world from 1950 through last year. The perceived "paternal discrepancy rate," as it is called, ranges from less than 1 percent to as high as 30 percent in the various studies. Most researchers believe the rate is less than 10 percent.


Okay, I gotta ask.

How is performing a mandatory paternity test a baby in any way a violation of the rights of women?
You mean the mandatory slut-shaming and distrust based on her gender for no viable reason at all? You're proposing a policy change on the basis that all women are automatically suspected of infidelity, and you can't see how that's a transgression? In my country, that insinuation would be libellous (And the discrimination based on gender makes it a rights violation).

There's actually a really solid argument due to what we've learned about DNA that there's valid medical reasons to be sure of paternity, as a child's medical risks are to a large extent determined by ancestry.

No real reason to bring gender into it at all.
Last edited by Galloism on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aclion, Albionist Great Britain, Amzos, Fartsniffage, Grinning Dragon, Heloin, Hurdergaryp, Ifreann, Nanatsu no Tsuki, Nuroblav, Omnum, Preuen, Spirit of Hope, The New California Republic

Advertisement

Remove ads