NATION

PASSWORD

Right-Wing Discussion Thread XVII: The Snark Enlightenment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Has Shinzo Abe's leadership been good for Japan?

Yes
31%
No
26%
Unsure
44%

Total votes : 121

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:59 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:
you seem to take it personally.

You act like you wouldn'tve.

what exactly were you accused of?
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:00 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Novus America wrote:
I explained how. Or we could have just intervened in 75. There were ways it could be won.
Again it was tanks, not rebels that toppled the government, and we were plenty capable of killing tanks.

We could easily have invaded north Vietnam and destroyed their conventional military utterly. But we didn't.

Hell the latter was very nearly accomplished from their own failure of the Tet offensive.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Founded: Nov 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:00 pm

Diopolis wrote:We could easily have invaded north Vietnam and destroyed their conventional military utterly. But we didn't.
If it was easy you would have done it.

Just like it would have been easy for the USSR to squash Pakistan in 1982 and close the supply routes to the taliban. But they didn't. Not because it would have been easy, but because it was impossible.

'We could have invaded them in 1965' is an apologist wet dream. The US got fucked in Vietnam. You lost. Get over it.
REST IN PEACE RWDT & LWDT
I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger, traveling through this world below
There is no sickness, no toil, nor danger, in that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my Father, and all my loved ones who've gone on
I'm only going over Jordan, I'm only going over home

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me, I know my way is hard and steep
But beauteous fields arise before me, where God's redeemed, their vigils keep

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:01 pm

Highever wrote:
Diopolis wrote:We could easily have invaded north Vietnam and destroyed their conventional military utterly. But we didn't.

Hell the latter was very nearly accomplished from their own failure of the Tet offensive.
They made up their losses very very quickly.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:01 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Well, my point is more that the problems he is complaining about aren't caused by social progress, and, in fact, are solved by it (clean environments being a socially-progressive value).

I don't know about that. There was obviously something that happened rapidly in the latter part of the sixties/early seventies that was too sudden to be totally attributable to lead. Although you're right that cleaning it up is probably responsible for the greater part of the 90's-today drop in crime rates.

I'm absolutely confident that social progress is not the unaccounted for factor.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:02 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Novus America wrote:
I explained how. Or we could have just intervened in 75. There were ways it could be won.
Again it was tanks, not rebels that toppled the government, and we were plenty capable of killing tanks.

We could easily have invaded north Vietnam and destroyed their conventional military utterly. But we didn't.

Essentially though again only invading as far as the Mu Gia Pass would be necessary or advisable.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:02 pm

Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:

Just like it would have been easy for the USSR to squash Pakistan in 1982 and close the supply routes to the taliban. But they didn't. Not because it would have been easy, but because it was impossible.

'We could have invaded them in 1965' is an apologist wet dream. The US got fucked in Vietnam. You lost. Get over it.

Questarian New Yorkshire now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJvgESR920

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:02 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I don't know about that. There was obviously something that happened rapidly in the latter part of the sixties/early seventies that was too sudden to be totally attributable to lead. Although you're right that cleaning it up is probably responsible for the greater part of the 90's-today drop in crime rates.

I'm absolutely confident that social progress is not the unaccounted for factor.

The unaccounted for factors are probably divorce and desegregation. Not abortion, as he's likely to claim.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm

Jolthig wrote:They should stop bombing school children. I dont want to give arms to a nation that violates the Geneva Conventions
LOL

You are the school child bombers, jesus fucking christ, if you could measure the density of hypocrisy you would be iridium

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm

The Tet offensive was an absolute failure and much of the VIet Cong's and even the NVA's military capacity was devastated. Hell most battles against the NVA and Viet Cong ended in military victories for the US. So, no the US did not at all get fucked militarily. To refute this and point this out is not some sort of apologist wet dream.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:04 pm

Highever wrote:
Questarian New Yorkshire wrote: If it was easy you would have done it.

The Tet offensive was an absolute failure and much of the VIet Cong's and even the NVA's military capacity was devastated. Hell most battles against the NVA and Viet Cong ended in military victories for the US. So, no the US did not at all get fucked militarily. To refute this and point this out is not some sort of apologist wet dream.

To point out that the US lost because of a lack of political will due to bolsheviks, cowards, and other traitors in our own ranks is also not an apologist wet dream.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Highever wrote:

If you won every battle why did your troops retreat with their tails behind their legs from Vietnam?

The Tet Offensive was a giant success for Vietnam. Not by what they intended to achieve, but by what actually happened. If you think otherwise you have a bizarre and ahistoric view of the Vietnam war.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Novus America wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Well, my point is more that the problems he is complaining about aren't caused by social progress, and, in fact, are solved by it (clean environments being a socially-progressive value).

Although by the 50s they already imagined nuclear power would soon offer us a clean future.
Sadly anti-nuclear “environmentalists” in the 70s ruined the environment.

When the environmental movement when anti nuclear it killed the environment sadly.

Oh, I definitely agree. And by that point, execs at places like Exxon already knew that climate change was inevitable. Its probable that big oil funneled money discreetly into anti-nuclear activist orgs (probably without their knowing precisely who or where the money ultimately came from) to kill nuclear. After all, without nuclear, where does the public get their power demands fulfilled when renewables simply won't cut it? Fossil fuels, of course.

Which isn't to say that nuclear power isn't without fault, especially in the 50s. Most designs of that era weren't about "clean energy" as much as they were about providing fissionables for nuclear weapons.
Last edited by Grenartia on Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Highever wrote:The Tet offensive was an absolute failure and much of the VIet Cong's and even the NVA's military capacity was devastated. Hell most battles against the NVA and Viet Cong ended in military victories for the US. So, no the US did not at all get fucked militarily. To refute this and point this out is not some sort of apologist wet dream.

To point out that the US lost because of a lack of political will due to bolsheviks, cowards, and other traitors in our own ranks is also not an apologist wet dream.
The US was involved in Vietnam because of a lack of political will.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 pm

Not really. An invasion of North Vietnam up to the Mu Gia Pass in 1965 would have been politically viable. The war started out popular. Tet would have never happened.

Yes we lost. But why we lost matters. We need to learn from our mistakes.

Just oh we lost forget about it is not a good route to take.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 pm

Solarist VZ wrote:The RWDT is dead, all Hail the RWDT!.

Touching to Poll's topic, i don't know much what's going on Brazil and Bolsonaro. Despite it seems he has went on the offensive on crime. I heard Brazilian right-wingers dislike him (i would admit this reminds me to Trump). The only reason i remember is in his policy on Gun Laws, the Brazilian people still has it bad at getting a gun, and they can only arm themselves with those strange and expensive calibers that only some specific pistols or rifles use (not 9mm, .45 or 7,62mm) and it seems they cannot get guns for self-defense because of corrupt bureaucracy. I say again i don't know what's going on despite bordering them.

Are you a libertarian?

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:07 pm

Diopolis wrote:To point out that the US lost because of a lack of political will due to bolsheviks, cowards, and other traitors in our own ranks is also not an apologist wet dream.
The US was involved in Vietnam because of a lack of political will.

If we'd had a spine, we would've put regular army troops on the ground in Cuba after the revolution. If we'd had a spine, we would've kept the judeo-bolshevik asiatic hordes out of Hungary in '56. If we'd had a spine, we'd have let McArthur win the war against China and Korea.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:07 pm

The US had very few experts on Vietnam, because it was unable to execute effective foreign policy, and what experts did exist were totally sidelined. Its political will was so weak it did automatically what the French asked them to do, and its political initiative so powerless it allowed itself to be directed by events, rather than directing events. 'If our country hadn't tonnes of commies we would have nuked the Vietnamese' was never going to happen, not in any universe, which is why it's a retarded wet dream - if the US had been serious about Vietnam its policy would have been different in 1950, not in 1965.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:07 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Questarian New Yorkshire wrote: The US was involved in Vietnam because of a lack of political will.

If we'd had a spine, we would've put regular army troops on the ground in Cuba after the revolution. If we'd had a spine, we would've kept the judeo-bolshevik asiatic hordes out of Hungary in '56. If we'd had a spine, we'd have let McArthur win the war against China and Korea.
That's really not how it works dude lol

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:08 pm

Novus America wrote:

Not really. An invasion of North Vietnam up to the Mu Gia Pass in 1965 would have been politically viable. The war started out popular. Tet would have never happened.

Yes we lost. But why we lost matters. We need to learn from our mistakes.

Just oh we lost forget about it is not a good route to take.
You lost because you tried to occupy a country which did not want to be occupied. That's what you should learn from.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:08 pm

Highever wrote:The Tet offensive was an absolute failure and much of the VIet Cong's and even the NVA's military capacity was devastated. Hell most battles against the NVA and Viet Cong ended in military victories for the US. So, no the US did not at all get fucked militarily. To refute this and point this out is not some sort of apologist wet dream.
If you won every battle why did your troops retreat with their tails behind their legs from Vietnam?

The Tet Offensive was a giant success for Vietnam. Not by what they intended to achieve, but by what actually happened. If you think otherwise you have a bizarre and ahistoric view of the Vietnam war.

They were pulled out due to the massive public opinion being against involvement in the first place, and the way the attack was reported made the sentiment even worse. Morale was low and the will to commit was completely gone, thus the pulling out of the war.

The Offensive was considered a total disaster even by the NVA and Viet Cong. The only bizarre and ahistoric view here is your own in trying to portray the Tet offensive as a military success.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:08 pm

Because our politicians pulled them out.
It was not the military that decided to retreat.

Yes the Tet Offensive was a political victory for North Vietnam but a military defeat for them. Politicians, not the military lost the war.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:The US had very few experts on Vietnam, because it was unable to execute effective foreign policy, and what experts did exist were totally sidelined. Its political will was so weak it did automatically what the French asked them to do, and its political initiative so powerless it allowed itself to be directed by events, rather than directing events. 'If our country hadn't tonnes of commies we would have nuked the Vietnamese' was never going to happen, not in any universe, which is why it's a retarded wet dream - if the US had been serious about Vietnam its policy would have been different in 1950, not in 1965.

Thats what I said earlier in this thread. By the 60s it was already too late. US should have helped France in early 1950s as they were also in Korea.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Highever wrote:The Offensive was considered a total disaster even by the NVA and Viet Cong. The only bizarre and ahistoric view here is your own in trying to portray the Tet offensive as a military success.
as if you think anyone in vietnam thought in 1969 that 1968 offensive was a disaster LOOOOOOOOL

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:10 pm

If the US had ever been willing to take responsibility for its own mistakes, it would've dropped the bomb on Moscow in 1945.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General