NATION

PASSWORD

Right-Wing Discussion Thread XVII: The Snark Enlightenment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Has Shinzo Abe's leadership been good for Japan?

Yes
31%
No
26%
Unsure
44%

Total votes : 121

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:36 pm

Temple State wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
They don't need a military to do that. What would a bank do with a military?

Hahaha. Read about Venice.

Venice wasn't a huge bank. It was a merchant republic.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Duvniask wrote:Some of which comes from secularization and religion playing less and less of a role in daily life, not because Christianity is somehow better, really. A while back, these things were more or less just as common in the Christian World.

It's almost as if Christianity modernized and Islam didn't.

And it doesn't address the issue at hand, which is that Christians adhere to a book that condones genocide. The question I was responding to was asking why Christians should abandon the Old Testament; my response being that it is explicitly genocidal.

If they're not committing genocide then I don't see what the issue is. The OT is an important part of Christianity, so unless you expect them to erase half the Bible they're not going to abandon it completely.

This is rich coming from someone who says communists must be suppressed for their views.

Salus Maior wrote:
Duvniask wrote:I was referring to the Bible as a whole in that sentence.

And regardless, you're gonna come out in favor of genocidal scripture. That's all anyone needs to know.

So your statement is even less accurate.

It's not even something we practice, obviously. It's in the Bible because the foundation of ancient Israel and it's myths and history is an important part of understanding what is meant in the New Testament when it is said there is a "New Israel" (the Church). The Biblical canon is the way it is because it's important to understanding doctrine and dogma and the themes of the New Testament.

I can hold it in single book-form in my hand, the form I assume it most often occurs in. It is a book. I get that the Bible is composed of multiple "books" or divisions; as you can see, I referred to the Book of Joshua when I replied to you earlier.

It's not something you practice, but this is your scripture. If this is the correct telling of events, it means your God is genocidal. In any case, whether is accurate or not, it means the Bible contains multiple instances of God being explicitly portrayed as calling for genocide. If you don't understand why this sets a dangerous precedent for your faith, then there's no reason to take you seriously.

And either you condone this, or you don't. If you come out against it, I must question your commitment to the word of the holy scripture. If you come out for it, then aw shit here we go again.
Last edited by Duvniask on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Temple State wrote:
Diopolis wrote:The ban on sterilization predates the sixties, and in fact dates back to the fathers.

Too bad. At least I am not Nancy Pelosi or similar vehement scum.

You are exactly like Nancy Pelosi, just in a different direction.
Let me cry because we avoided children being born to addicts and also avoided having to take them and put them up for adoption... Oh wait...

Since I am completely against abortion but I live in a country where I see people living in the streets with children, you don't leave realpolitik with much options. Are we going to pay endless welfare checks?

No. We are going to reform society such that single motherhood is much rarer.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Ancapto
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancapto » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Ancapto wrote:Go after people that are in debt to them or use it for other reasons.

That's what courts are for, because we lived in a civilized country where the settlement of debts is done through contractual agreements and disputes.

Not in an Anarcho-Capitalist society.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Nakena wrote:
Ancapto wrote:Go after people that are in debt to them or use it for other reasons.

Debt collecting is a legit business though. Even if usually on smaller scale. ^^

Also, the biggest debtors to banks are large corporations. Is JPMorgan Chase going to show up at the headquarters of Microsoft with tanks and troops demanding repayment on its bonds?
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:Huge fan of credit unions (I'm actually a member of one). Great way to lock money away and profit off of high margin microlending. Very secure too.

Online banks? That will be all banks in about 15 years.

That's good to hear. Might do a mix of both, keep most of my money in a credit union, plonk a sum of money in a high-interest bank account and let it grow. Put some money into an index fund and hopefully, that'll make for a financially secure combination.

Temple State
Envoy

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Temple State wrote:

Point in fact: The banking cartel(s) had private armies.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:39 pm

Jack Thomas Lang wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:Huge fan of credit unions (I'm actually a member of one). Great way to lock money away and profit off of high margin microlending. Very secure too.

Online banks? That will be all banks in about 15 years.

That's good to hear. Might do a mix of both, keep most of my money in a credit union, plonk a sum of money in a high-interest bank account and let it grow. Put some money into an index fund and hopefully, that'll make for a financially secure combination.

Start putting money away as early as possible and live within your means - those are the two simplest rules to securing financial freedom, and arguably the most difficult to master.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:39 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Temple State wrote:
Too bad. At least I am not Nancy Pelosi or similar vehement scum.

You are exactly like Nancy Pelosi, just in a different direction.
Let me cry because we avoided children being born to addicts and also avoided having to take them and put them up for adoption... Oh wait...

Since I am completely against abortion but I live in a country where I see people living in the streets with children, you don't leave realpolitik with much options. Are we going to pay endless welfare checks?

Tell me how. Even when mothers are not single there will still be people who will have kids just to collect welfare. Or you won't have welfare, like here, and they will be living in the streets, the entire happy family united.

Sterilizing people and kiling kids are not even remotely the same thing in moral terms.
Last edited by Temple State on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Gagium
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gagium » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Ancapto wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
That's what courts are for, because we lived in a civilized country where the settlement of debts is done through contractual agreements and disputes.

Could a theoretical Ancap ‘society’ even be classified as a society at that point though?
Last edited by Gagium on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Ancapto wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Well we do not live in an anarcho-capitalist society.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Temple State wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Apples to oranges.

Aristocratic clans that controlling pre-industrial cities is not remotely comparable to our modern financial system.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Temple State wrote:

I am reading currently The Medici: A Tale of Fifteen Generations by James Cleugh, really makes you appriciate italian renaissance. Florentine history is very interesting.

Bear Stearns wrote:Start putting money away as early as possible and live within your means - those are the two simplest rules to securing financial freedom, and arguably the most difficult to master.

Thats unironically what I have always been done to begin with.
Last edited by Nakena on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:42 pm

A better example of corporate militaries would be the Dutch West India Company and the British East India Company.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Temple State wrote:
Diopolis wrote:You are exactly like Nancy Pelosi, just in a different direction.

Tell me how. Even when mothers are not single there will still be people who will have kids just to collect welfare. Or you won't have welfare, like here, and they will be living in the streets, the entire happy family united.

Sterilizing people and kiling kids are not even remotely the same thing in moral terms.

The solution to that is to change the welfare system so that it encourages stable two-parent nuclear families, which are overwhelmingly likely to transition into financial independence, as opposed to single motherhood, which is overwhelmingly unlikely. It's not to start sterilizing blue collar workers- anyone who tries to sterilize me's gettin' a proper Texas response.
Sterilizations are still mortal sins. You are advocating for mortal sin as a deliberate government policy.
Last edited by Diopolis on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Temple State wrote:

Apples to oranges.

Aristocratic clans that controlling pre-industrial cities is not remotely comparable to our modern financial system.

Unless Neo-Liberalism is actually like the stereotype of bad feudalism. Which it is.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Ancapto
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancapto » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Ancapto wrote:Not in an Anarcho-Capitalist society.

Ik but we should. Imagine a world with no regulations on the market and no government. It would be great! True freedom, no taxes, no government.

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Ancapto wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Ik but we should. Imagine a world with no regulations on the market and no government. It would be great! True freedom, no taxes, no government.

I see. Now provide an answer that isn't pure ideology.
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Temple State wrote:

The solution to that is to change the welfare system so that it encourages stable two-parent nuclear families, which are overwhelmingly likely to transition into financial independence, as opposed to single motherhood, which is overwhelmingly unlikely. It's not to start sterilizing blue collar workers- anyone who tries to sterilize me's gettin' a proper Texas response.

So parents who can't cope with your tax/welfare-policy will have to be without government aid even if their kids are starving? Humane...
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Ancapto wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Not necessarily. I do agree that things are overregulated and that the government is too large, but I wouldn't go that far. There are also some industries that I believe should be nationalized.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:45 pm

Temple State wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
Apples to oranges.

Unless Neo-Liberalism is actually like the stereotype of bad feudalism. Which it is.

Our financial system can exist mostly intact and not serve neoliberal purposes.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:45 pm

Ancapto wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

This. The definition of a Crapsack World.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:46 pm

Duvniask wrote:
It's not something you practice, but this is your scripture. If this is the correct telling of events, it means your God is genocidal. In any case, whether is accurate or not, it means the Bible contains multiple instances of God being explicitly portrayed as calling for genocide. If you don't understand why this sets a dangerous precedent for your faith, then there's no reason to take you seriously.

Oh, I haven't been taking you very seriously for a while so feel free to do whatever you want.

You clearly know very little about our religion aside from what /r/Atheism posts, and now you're telling us what we're going to become in the future? Oh come off it.

The nature of the Old Covenant was different than the New Covenant that has been established by Christ which is defined by the Gospels, the rest of the New Testament, and the tradition of the Church. We're defined by the teachings of Christ, and live according to the morality He taught. And there's not really room for genocide in that so don't worry your little head.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:46 pm

Nakena wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

I am reading currently The Medici: A Tale of Fifteen Generations by James Cleugh, really makes you appriciate italian renaissance. Florentine history is very interesting.

Bear Stearns wrote:Start putting money away as early as possible and live within your means - those are the two simplest rules to securing financial freedom, and arguably the most difficult to master.

Thats unironically what I have always been done to begin with.

As you should, but for some people, it is incredibly difficult to live within their means and to have the discipline to put away x.x% of your money away each month.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Ancapto
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancapto » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Crysuko wrote:
Ancapto wrote:Ik but we should. Imagine a world with no regulations on the market and no government. It would be great! True freedom, no taxes, no government.

I see. Now provide an answer that isn't pure ideology.

A answer to what though?
Ancapto wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Not necessarily. I do agree that things are overregulated and that the government is too large, but I wouldn't go that far. There are also some industries that I believe should be nationalized.

What is the point in having a small government? Also what industries should be nationalized?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General