NATION

PASSWORD

Right-Wing Discussion Thread XVII: The Snark Enlightenment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Has Shinzo Abe's leadership been good for Japan?

Yes
31%
No
26%
Unsure
44%

Total votes : 121

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
The bloodshed in the Old Testament dwarfs just about every other violent episode in mythology, with the exception of the Aztecs and Quran.

Oh, come on. The Old Testament is not nearly that bloody.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Salus Maior wrote:Is it Pagan/Abrahamic rumble again?

Buddhist/Pagan/Abrahamic rumble. :p
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Nakena wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:Is it Pagan/Abrahamic rumble again?

It really started with Christian Fascism(sic!) from The Cringe Confederacy yours truly.

Yeah, I'm just thrilled that Christian Amin is here.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:46 pm

Novus America wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:If I were to cut it in half (the biggest amount of cutting I'd support), We'd still have a larger budget then those two countries combined. I don't expect everyone to play nice, I'm talking about curbing wasteful spending on pointless warfare. Also, our military wouldn't be what is preventing outright invasion of our allies. I'm sure our nukes are better at doing that, as ground wars have winners, while nuclear wars probably won't.

https://www.pgpf.org/chart-archive/0053 ... comparison

(Image)

Total spending is a horrible point of comparison. You think it costs the same to pay for and America soldier as a Russian one?
Human Resource costs in the US are many times higher.

The cost of 1 US troop is far higher than a Russian one (where wages are very low).

https://www.helgilibrary.com/charts/wha ... y-in-2015/
Actually in terms of military spending per GDP the US is not that high.

And nuclear deterrence has severe limitations. Would you really sacrifice New York to save Kiev?
Of course not. So with nuclear weapons you have nothing to stop a limited conventional ground attack that you are not willing to start nuclear war to stop.

I will keep at least 50% of our military budget, so we will have something to stop a limited ground attack (assuming of one comes). Also, I wouldn't have to sacrifice New York, because any reasonable leader would remember MAD, which is a doctrine where everyone gets destroyed if nuclear war comes. Regardless if our military is cut or not, there is a good chance that any direct war with those other two nuclear powers would lead to nukes coming out, so hopefully that would deter war altogether.

As for our GDP, if it is large enough where we don't need to spend 15% or so of it on our military, that simply shows that our economy is large, not that we need to bloat it up, or keep it the same because some third world shitholes with a smaller GDP than ours, spend a higher percentage of it on military. We have the highest GDP.

Finally, while cost of living can effect the results, you might have a bit of a point there. However, Britain only spends a fraction of the amount of money we do on its military, and it is not a country with a low cost of living.

Oh, on a bit of a side note, We do buy equipment we do not need.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:
The bloodshed in the Old Testament dwarfs just about every other violent episode in mythology, with the exception of the Aztecs and Quran.

It is extremely brutal. I don't think you can argue that stoning and mass murder aren't bloody.
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Nakena wrote:
It really started with Christian Fascism(sic!) from The Cringe Confederacy yours truly.

Check out his region. Theres a whole region FULL of those. And they even have a forum thread!

LiberNovusAmericae knows them already...
Last edited by Nakena on Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

It is pretty dark in parts though most Christians do not regard it has literal history.
Although Hindu epics are quite metal.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Nakena wrote:

In fairness, that's not really an accurate description. Amin at least tried to downplay the worst excesses of islamic atrocity-of-the-week and didn't seem that interested in fascistic militarism.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Hindu epics do not receive nearly enough love.

The Iliad and Beowulf are good, but I don't think they can compare to mystical mantras to summon weapons which can destroy all of creation, or sages creating whole new universes through penances.
Theravada Buddhist

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:55 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

In fairness, that's not really an accurate description. Amin at least tried to downplay the worst excesses of islamic atrocity-of-the-week and didn't seem that interested in fascistic militarism.

Temple State reminds me more of that "Traditionalism" fellow who used to post here. You know, the one who used to go on about Evola and the "spiritual caste system." That guy was some kind of dissenting Protestant, however, whereas Temple State claims to be one of yours.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:56 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Diopolis wrote:In fairness, that's not really an accurate description. Amin at least tried to downplay the worst excesses of islamic atrocity-of-the-week and didn't seem that interested in fascistic militarism.

Temple State reminds me more of that "Traditionalism" fellow who used to post here. You know, the one who used to go on about Evola and the "spiritual caste system." That guy was some kind of dissenting Protestant, however, whereas Temple State claims to be one of yours.

We get those kinds wandering through every now and again. Most of the time they just wander, though.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:59 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

It is extremely brutal. I don't think you can argue that stoning and mass murder aren't bloody.

Stoning is bloody, sure, but it's not as if it weren't a common means of capital punishment at the time. And considering there are a couple books that line up the laws and criminal punishment of this ancient bronze age civilization, I don't think we can blame it for being a bit on the bloody side.

That being said though, I wouldn't say it's as grimdark as it seems. It's actually believed that historically speaking there weren't very many people that actually received capital punishment in ancient Israel, because the requirements for someone to receive capital punishment were pretty complicated. For one, iirc, there always had to be at least two witnesses, and they couldn't be related to each other. I think there were more than that but I haven't eaten much today and my head's kinda foggy.

There were also provisions for people who accidentally committed serious crimes to keep them safe from reprisals in designated Cities of Refuge.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:01 pm

It does amuse me that a lot of esoteric traditionalist (i.e fascist larper) types try to claim Tolkien as one of their own when he was a distributist who thought anarchism was kind of alright, made his contempt for apartheid clear, hated war and industrialism, and told Nazi publishers that he “unfortunately” did not have any Jewish blood in his veins.
Theravada Buddhist

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:01 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Well, I call him Christian Amin because he inadvertently is trying to destroy Christianity's reputation on this site.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:It does amuse me that a lot of esoteric traditionalist (i.e fascist larper) types try to claim Tolkien as one of their own when he was a distributist who thought anarchism was kind of alright, made his contempt for apartheid clear, hated war and industrialism, and told Nazi publishers that he “unfortunately” did not have any Jewish blood in his veins.

Yeah, Tolkien really wasn't one for politics.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Diopolis wrote:In fairness, that's not really an accurate description. Amin at least tried to downplay the worst excesses of islamic atrocity-of-the-week and didn't seem that interested in fascistic militarism.

Well, I call him Christian Amin because he inadvertently is trying to destroy Christianity's reputation on this site.

I doubt temple will have as much effect as amin did.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:04 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

These excerpts are from Chapter 10 of the Book of Joshua alone:

10:10
    "And the Lord discomfited them before Israel, and slew them with a great slaughter at Gibeon, and chased them along the way that goeth up to Bethhoron, and smote them to Azekah, and unto Makkedah."

10:19-10:20
    "And stay ye not, but pursue after your enemies, and smite the hindmost of them; suffer them not to enter into their cities: for the Lord your God hath delivered them into your hand. And it came to pass, when Joshua and the children of Israel had made an end of slaying them with a very great slaughter, till they were consumed, that the rest which remained of them entered into fenced cities."

10:28
    "And that day Joshua took Makkedah, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and the king thereof he utterly destroyed, them, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain: and he did to the king of Makkedah as he did unto the king of Jericho."

In fact, the phrase "smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain" get repeated several times from hereon out, describing the fall of several cities in the same manner: massacre.

In summary:

10:40
    "So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord God of Israel commanded."

But the Old Testament is not that bloody, ok.

Temple State
Envoy

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:13 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Temple State wrote:
The point is: No real value is added by their "work". They are just swindling people. Why? Because all Big Finance and Banking today hinges on usury, which is essentially immoral.

You obviously don't understand what bankers do. Who are they swindling? The internal finance teams of Fortune 500 companies?

As I said, everybody. Private central banking is the main source of current inflationary rates, even when they are at their lowest. Then you have crazed dictators like Maduro of course, but they are rare.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:14 pm

Imperium Romanum Sanctis wrote:
Nakena wrote:
It's depicted as a being that has certainly no good intentions for Mankind but to enslave it in submission and fear for all eternity.

As opposed to the overwhelming majority of pagan gods; who were capricious, vindictive and generally went out of their way to harm their own people?

God is pretty benevolent by comparison, and considering how he sacrificed himself on a cross to redeem humanity, I'd say that our enslavement is the last thing on his mind.

Ssshh, don't tell them the pagan gods of the Romans and the Greeks ordered them to throw "defect" babies in big pits. I and my ilk are the "Social Darwinists" here.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:18 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Imperium Romanum Sanctis wrote:As opposed to the overwhelming majority of pagan gods; who were capricious, vindictive and generally went out of their way to harm their own people?

Xenophanes wrote:Homer and Hesiod have attributed to the gods all sorts of things which are matters of reproach and censure among men: theft, adultery and mutual deceit.

How much ancient Greeks and Romans interpreted myths literally is debatable. Lots of classical philosophers criticized Homer and Hesiod for attributing immoral actions to the gods, probably mostly famously Plato who thought that Homer ought to be banished from his ideal republic. There's not much in common between the Iliad's Zeus and the Stoic's.
Imperium Romanum Sanctis wrote:God is pretty benevolent by comparison, and considering how he sacrificed himself on a cross to redeem humanity, I'd say that our enslavement is the last thing on his mind.

I thought all agnostics and the ones who don't see God conforming to their feeble morals as somebody who should fix the world and eradicate evil? Then He goes and orders evil to be eradicated and still you complain? There is no satisfying the treacherous human heart.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:25 pm

Nakena wrote:
Imperium Romanum Sanctis wrote:As opposed to the overwhelming majority of pagan gods; who were capricious, vindictive and generally went out of their way to harm their own people?

You describing the ascausal interdimensional alien entity called Jawh who evidently didn do jackshit but whom managed to scare off a lot of people to do to his bidding? Yeah sure sounds familiar.

Imperium Romanum Sanctis wrote:God is pretty benevolent by comparison, and considering how he sacrificed himself on a cross to redeem humanity, I'd say that our enslavement is the last thing on his mind.

If christianity would ditch the OT then we might have a different discussion here.

But given the circumstances I'd rather side with Satan in question of doubt.

Read Romans 1.

Also, some other NT goodies:

Phil. 3:2-14
1 Thess 2:14-16
John 8:44
Romans 2:28-29
Titus 1:14
Acts 7
1 John 2:22-23

This one is also nice:

Matt. 10:34
Do not think that I came to send peace upon earth: I came not to send peace, but the sword.

Back to OT, Ecclesiastes 3 is also a good reminder of the double nature of being human and living in this world. There are always going to be necessary evils.
Galatians 3:16
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Temple State wrote:This one is also nice:

Do not think that I came to send peace upon earth: I came not to send peace, but the sword.

Literally everyone loves to take that verse out of context.

Read it in it's original chapter. The sword isn't a real sword, but rather a sword of division between people as some come to accept Christ and others don't.

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Nakena wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Check out his region. Theres a whole region FULL of those. And they even have a forum thread!

LiberNovusAmericae knows them already...

Browned your pants now?
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:30 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Temple State wrote:This one is also nice:

Literally everyone loves to take that verse out of context.

Read it in it's original chapter. The sword isn't a real sword, but rather a sword of division between people as some come to accept Christ and others don't.

It is both and has been interpreted as both. The Sword is symbolically His Holy Spirit.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:30 pm

The crime of rape should be punished with forced sterilization at the very least, or possibly castration.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General