NATION

PASSWORD

Right-Wing Discussion Thread XVII: The Snark Enlightenment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Has Shinzo Abe's leadership been good for Japan?

Yes
31%
No
26%
Unsure
44%

Total votes : 121

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:29 am

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
In the Netherlands, it common to refer to someone doing something half-assed or shoddily as doing it "the French way".

I always thought doing it the French way meant taking pieces of Germany and then claiming that they were yours the entire time.

More like the "Turkish Way"...They did that with us in Greece.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:29 am

Nakena wrote:
Duvniask wrote:Which part?

Rainforest destruction in Brazil.

You seem quite knowledgeable on the matter and have deeply researched it.

I don't feel like I have, though. I learned about the rainforest ecosystem (its nutrient-cycle, water-cycle, biodiversity, etc.) back in high school along with the factors driving deforestation, such as soybean and beef production (in the case of South America) and why deforestation leads to drought, soil hardening and so on. I had a basic understanding of it before that. Don't really feel it's unique among any of the things I happen to know something about.

I suck at taking compliments, I know.
Last edited by Duvniask on Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:29 am

Napkizemlja wrote:
The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
Wait, I vaguely remember a user with a similar screen-name to Napkizemlja back in the day, and for a brief while in 2016 (maybe?) they had a spooky-looking inverted pentagram for a flag. However, I could be mis-remembering things. I dunno.

I never had a pentagram for a flag. When I was an edgy atheist, I considered joining the Church of Satan but never used a pentagram as my flag as even then I thought that was too edgy.

Huh, I must be misremembering then... was your previous nation Napkiraly, btw?
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:29 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:Yep.

England used to have some pretty sweet monasteries, back before it fell to Papism under William the Bastard.

Monasteries were still around after the Norman Conquest and the Anglo-Saxons were Latin Christians.
Don't cry because it's coming to an end, smile because it happened.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:30 am

Napkizemlja wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:
England used to have some pretty sweet monasteries, back before it fell to Papism under William the Bastard.

Monasteries were still around after the Norman Conquest and the Anglo-Saxons were Latin Christians.

And then came Henry VIII...

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:31 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
In the Netherlands, it common to refer to someone doing something half-assed or shoddily as doing it "the French way".

And in Russia if you leave too fast and impolitely, you're "saying goodbye the English way".

And leaving quietly without saying goodbye is an "Irish goodbye".
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:31 am

Napkizemlja wrote:I never had a pentagram for a flag. When I was an edgy atheist, I considered joining the Church of Satan but never used a pentagram as my flag as even then I thought that was too edgy.

That Napkiraly guy sounds like a real jerk.

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:31 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:And in Russia if you leave too fast and impolitely, you're "saying goodbye the English way".

I thought that was saying goodbye on an empty stomach.

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:32 am

Napkizemlja wrote:

That Napkiraly guy sounds like a real jerk.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic; I'm leaning towards "likely sarcastic", but I'm still rather uncertain.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:32 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:I always thought doing it the French way meant taking pieces of Germany and then claiming that they were yours the entire time.

More like the "Turkish Way"...They did that with us in Greece.

*cries in Constantinople*
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:33 am

Napkizemlja wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:

Christianity in the Anglo-Saxon period was pretty different to what they were doing in Rome. It would be pretty unrecognizable to modern Christians.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:33 am

Napkizemlja wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

I thought that was saying goodbye on an empty stomach.

Same difference. The Irish were both quiet and starved for much of their time under Anglo rule.

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:33 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:And in Russia if you leave too fast and impolitely, you're "saying goodbye the English way".

I remember reading the Russians called syphilis or some other STD the "Polish disease". In Germany it was the "French disease".
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:33 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:Monasteries were still around after the Norman Conquest and the Anglo-Saxons were Latin Christians.

Christianity in the Anglo-Saxon period was pretty different to what they were doing in Rome. It would be pretty unrecognizable to modern Christians.

So is Eastern Orthodoxy...

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:33 am

Salus Maior wrote:

You know what Irish sunglasses are?
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:34 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Nope. What are those?

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:35 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Nope. What are those?

I'll let you google it.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:36 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:I thought that was saying goodbye on an empty stomach.

Same difference. The Irish were both quiet and starved for much of their time under Anglo rule.

Not really, famines occurred roughly at the same rate as elsewhere.

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:36 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Nope. What are those?

I'll let you google it.

oh God wtf
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:37 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:I thought that was saying goodbye on an empty stomach.

They were at war with each other more than against the English.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:39 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Same difference. The Irish were both quiet and starved for much of their time under Anglo rule.

I love how both the Anglos on this Thread immediately shit on the Irish and deny any involvement with the Potato Famine...

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:42 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

I love how both the Anglos on this Thread immediately shit on the Irish and deny any involvement with the Potato Famine...

It would be inaccurate to say I'm involved in the famine. I'm an American.

Also, I do not deny the British governments culpability.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:42 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:I love how both the Anglos on this Thread immediately shit on the Irish and deny any involvement with the Potato Famine...

It would be inaccurate to say I'm involved in the famine. I'm an American.

Also, I do not deny the British governments culpability.

Fair point. I'm just messing around.

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:43 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

I said that they didn't occur more famines than most other places. They weren't even the only place to be hit by the potato blight, just the hardest hit. And I'm pretty critical of how the British government handled the Great Famine, at least in the beginning. I just disagree when people treat it like it was a genocide.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:45 am

Napkizemlja wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:I love how both the Anglos on this Thread immediately shit on the Irish and deny any involvement with the Potato Famine...

I said that they didn't occur more famines than most other places. They weren't even the only place to be hit by the potato blight, just the hardest hit. And I'm pretty critical of how the British government handled the Great Famine, at least in the beginning. I just disagree when people treat it like it was a genocide.

I'd say the Anglos definitely used it as an opportunity to take the Irish population down a peg or two - at best, they just let people die. Arguably, on purpose.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General