NATION

PASSWORD

A Whitish Guy's Take On White Privlidge

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:27 am

Ayytaly wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
I don't really even like those terms although they're more accurate. There's a big cultural difference between Europeans and people in America of European descent, and Americans of African heritage are also very culturally different from africans. Black American culture is a very American heritage and has been separate from Africa for hundreds of years.

Really, anyone in america is just american. We do culturally differ somewhat but we have more in common with each other than with the people in places we came from

US Black "culture" and ebonics are ultimately offshoots of southern US white "culture" and parlances. Their vocabulary is roughly 90% the same.

Also, shouldn't "American" be exclusively applied to the indigenous people? After all, the term was originally of a continental context, and chiefly to it's pre-colonial inhabitants. Still is in the Romance languages regarding the former.

Old southern English actually sounded extremely similar to Black American english. If you listen to old recordings of someone speaking it or watch a tv show about some dude from the south in the 1800s like Andrew jackson, you'll notice the similarities. Black American english in the northeast has changed someone due to influence from other dialects of English but in the south, especially among older folks, it sounds exactly like the dialect of English that white southerners used to speak up until the 20th century.

Here's an example from a recent film of old southern english: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aQM4ebFILv4
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:40 am

Ayytaly wrote:
Kowani wrote:I’m from Granada, on the Southern coast, right? Down here, the words Estadounidense (United Statesian) and Americano (American) are used interchangeably. The higher up you go on the social scale and the more educated people are, you hear the Estadounidense more. Indigenous Americans are called the same thing they were in the time of Columbus, that is to say, Indians.

Odd how the actual Indians and their civilizations were well-known around Europe, particularly in racial profiling. But thanks to Columbus, the term "dot or feather" was coined. Illiteracy and lack of education must've been frequent amongst sailors.

As for the demonyms, it's technically correct to refer to US people as "americans", but in a pars pro totum manner, not the inverse.
as a matter of course, if you had a modicum of learning you stayed the hell away from boats, unless of course one got an officer's commission.
Sailing weren't fun.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:51 am

Pacomia wrote:
Ayytaly wrote:
US Black "culture" and ebonics are ultimately offshoots of southern US white "culture" and parlances. Their vocabulary is roughly 90% the same.

Also, shouldn't "American" be exclusively applied to the indigenous people? After all, the term was originally of a continental context, and chiefly to it's pre-colonial inhabitants. Still is in the Romance languages regarding the former.

“United Statesese” just doesn’t sound as good, you know?

And can also refer to Mexicans.
Then again, it is a bit silly that people from other countries on the American continents can not call themselves Americans without getting funny looks.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Kowani wrote:
Ayytaly wrote:
Odd how the actual Indians and their civilizations were well-known around Europe, particularly in racial profiling. But thanks to Columbus, the term "dot or feather" was coined. Illiteracy and lack of education must've been frequent amongst sailors.
Well, he thought he’d found India. India being so diverse, he probably thought he’d just run into another part of it.

It's less he thought he found India, and more he thought he found an undiscovered island off of Japan. Think where Micronesia or Melanesia are, and you get the idea of where he thought he was.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Previous

Return to General