NATION

PASSWORD

A Whitish Guy's Take On White Privlidge

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20948
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

A Whitish Guy's Take On White Privlidge

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:04 am

So, as a whitish person, I've been told that I am a benefitiary of white privlidge . My family has also been called black. So I don't know how that's supposed to work. Allow me to elaborate:

In 1970's Australia, Greeks (that's my race) were pretty much as dark as people were (barring Aboriginals). My mum, who grew up in the 70's has told me that she was called "brown", and my late grandmother told me that people used to grab her hand, compare her skin colour to their skin colour and called her "black". Granted, is more racially diverse now than she was in the 1970's, and we're very white compared to many other Australians, but still, we're not white-white. "Okay" you might be thinking, but that's still just your grandmother and mother, not you". Well, no, because my entire ansestry in living memory is Greek, from all sides of the family, and skin colour is not something that changes within so few generatio kns. Further, I look like an Arab. I also look Latino. I know that I look like an Arab, because I visit a lot of Arabic businesses, and the business owners speak to me in Arabic, thinking I'm an Arab. Indeed, I look more like an Arab than a Western European. Further, I used to work at a place with lots of Latinos, where many Latinos would come up to me and speak to me in Spanish, thinking I was Latino. So, therefore, to suggest that I am a benefitiary of white privlodge is to also suggest that Arabs and Latinos are benefitiaries of white privlodge, and doing so is just f$$king stupid. Further, I've also been called a "Wog" before, with the word used by white people in a racist manner, so therefore, I'm pretty sure I'm excluded from benefiting from white privlidge. With that in mind, the whole concept of white privlidge is bullshit. There is no such thing as white privlidge.

So, basically one of the claims about white privlidge is that white people have better chances of getting higher paying jibs than non-white people. That's bullshit. My grandparents were successful business owners, despite coming to Australia with very few possessions. In favmct, my grandparents were quite poor. My parents work upper middle class jobs, and my sister, who's in her early 20's also earns quite a bit. I'm unemployed, but that's for reasons unrelated to my race. Mostly a combination of my disability(ies) and sheer bad luck unassociated with my race
I may look a healthy young man in my mid-20's, but looks are decieving and I do have (at least one) disability, but that's a whole other matter. Back to white privlidge
A different argument in favour of white privlidge is racism. Sure, racism was a thing in Australia in the 1970's, but it's not the 1970's anymore. Remember earlier when I said I was unironically called a "Wog". Yea, that happened once, ever, in an isolated incident. Racist people will always exist, racism will never go away completely. However, beyond a few individual nut jobs, there pretty much is no racism in Australia. Not even in remote country towns where my family and I were the least white group there (once again, baring Aboriginals), and I've never experienced racism, and there is no systematic racism either. And let's not pretend that white people aren't subject to racial slurs either. But just because there's a fringe minority group of racist lunatics, it doesn't mean that the entire population is racist
Okay, so what about the next point about white privlidge- harrasment by police- nope, never been harassed by police, never. Not even when I when I look like a full-on bearded Arab because I forgot to shave. The only form of "harrasment" I recieve is that I am slightly more likely to get frisked at airport security by that metal detector thing, if I forget to shave. This adds a few mere seconds to the whole experience. Watch me go and cry in the corner. TBH, I'm not even if the metal detector thing is true. It might just be conformation bias. I don't know. And once again, I look like an Arab. I also act more like an Arab than a white person, as Greek culture is far closer to Arab culture than what it is to Western European culture.
So what about racial profiling? Please read what I said about police harassment. I've never been the victim of racial profilling.
So this is my take on white privlidge. What do you think, NSG
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
17 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
This account is fictious. Any In-Character posts made by this account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:14 am

Australia seems to be having the same race issue as here. Yeah for some reason in my country, a Greek American is white but an Albanian American (people from a country next door to greece) isn't white cause "they're brown people and Muslims and according to Richard Spencer they're turks!" You can have an Italian American man with brown skin and black hair and he's white but a Lebanese man with ginger colored hair and light skin isnt. And for me it's even worse because my skin changes from a pale color in winter to dark brown in summer and I get mistaken for everything from Italian to Albanian to Lebanese ( which I actually am part so it isn't really a mistake) to Mexican to central American to portugese. Whether I'm white or not varies between people I know since some would say I am because I look like a southern European and others would say I'm not because I'm Hispanic and also because I'm part arab. The only time I was accused of having privilege was when I was arguing with some black girl about the BLM movement. I personally cannot stand that organization and think they're full of extremists but this girl in response was like "well you have privilege so you don't know what it's like to be a black man."

This girl's mom drove a Cadillac, and they lived in a suburban part of town in a clearly middle class section. This girl was lecturing a Hispanic dude who lived in an apartment and who couldn't even afford wifi about how he had white privilege even though he wasn't a white man. And before you say "but you've never had any bad run ins with the police," I indeed have, including the time a cop almost shot me after I accidentally reached a little to close to my pocket while his partner was checking my ID after they stopped me while I was walking outside around 11. It's the Detroit area. Come on now. People's definitions of white have changed so much and there was a time when Greek folks were brown people and while social definitions have changed over time, greek people do look a lot like middle eastern people so even I feel uncomfortable calling them white. I personally use the term white to refer to people of northern European descent so when I talk about white people, I don't tend to mean Italians or Spaniards
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Mettaton-EX
Diplomat
 
Posts: 615
Founded: Sep 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mettaton-EX » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:15 am

Australian rePublic wrote:However, beyond a few individual nut jobs, there pretty much is no racism in Australia. Not even in remote country towns where my family and I were the least white group there (once again, baring Aboriginals), and I've never experienced racism, and there is no systematic racism either. And let's not pretend that white people aren't subject to racial slurs either. But just because there's a fringe minority group of racist lunatics, it doesn't mean that the entire population is racist

your country has refugee concentration camps where people are setting themselves on fire and even children are actively suicidal. shut the absolute fuck up.
THIS ROBOT IS TRANS | AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT | هٰذه الآلة تقتل الفاشيين
(prefer it/its but any pronouns are acceptable)

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:16 am

Mettaton-EX wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:However, beyond a few individual nut jobs, there pretty much is no racism in Australia. Not even in remote country towns where my family and I were the least white group there (once again, baring Aboriginals), and I've never experienced racism, and there is no systematic racism either. And let's not pretend that white people aren't subject to racial slurs either. But just because there's a fringe minority group of racist lunatics, it doesn't mean that the entire population is racist

your country has refugee concentration camps where people are setting themselves on fire and even children are actively suicidal. shut the absolute fuck up.


Why is Australia turning into america?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54477
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:18 am

Mettaton-EX wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:However, beyond a few individual nut jobs, there pretty much is no racism in Australia. Not even in remote country towns where my family and I were the least white group there (once again, baring Aboriginals), and I've never experienced racism, and there is no systematic racism either. And let's not pretend that white people aren't subject to racial slurs either. But just because there's a fringe minority group of racist lunatics, it doesn't mean that the entire population is racist

your country has refugee concentration camps where people are setting themselves on fire and even children are actively suicidal. shut the absolute fuck up.


Not being a far-left open borders advocate doesn't make someone a racist.

All people detained by the state are mistreated because of punitive conceptions of the justice system. It's not a race thing for crimes to be committed against detained populations.

If far-left types spent their energies demanding better conditions instead of open borders the problem could be resolved, instead they polarize society and leave those of us who want better conditions in detention centres being shouted over by people who hate the concept of national borders, and people who rightly see that as a dangerous and destructive idea fighting back.

It's like if the left wing up and decided we had to abolish the concept of crime and prisons entirely because conditions are bad and just shouted abuse at the right wing who are like "That's anarchy and a terrible idea", meanwhile i'm here like;

"Maybe we keep prisons but sack guards who beat prisoners? Idk, crazy I know.".
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
The plague has been worse for women.
It's true that more men are dying from COVID, but that's not exactly a cause for celebration.
https://i.redd.it/oqy5p3p1ayv41.png

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:24 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Mettaton-EX wrote:your country has refugee concentration camps where people are setting themselves on fire and even children are actively suicidal. shut the absolute fuck up.


Not being a far-left open borders advocate doesn't make someone a racist.

All people detained by the state are mistreated because of punitive conceptions of the justice system. It's not a race thing for crimes to be committed against detained populations.

If far-left types spent their energies demanding better conditions instead of open borders the problem could be resolved, instead they polarize society and leave those of us who want better conditions in detention centres being shouted over by people who hate the concept of national borders, and people who rightly see that as a dangerous and destructive idea fighting back.

It's like if the left wing up and decided we had to abolish the concept of crime and prisons entirely because conditions are bad and just shouted abuse at the right wing who are like "That's anarchy and a terrible idea", meanwhile i'm here like;

"Maybe we keep prisons but sack guards who beat prisoners? Idk, crazy I know.".


We need control of immigration between countries, otherwise countries don't exist anymore. That being said, we can still treat migrants like people and not treat them like absolute shit for the simple crime of crossing a line on a map.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54477
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:26 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Not being a far-left open borders advocate doesn't make someone a racist.

All people detained by the state are mistreated because of punitive conceptions of the justice system. It's not a race thing for crimes to be committed against detained populations.

If far-left types spent their energies demanding better conditions instead of open borders the problem could be resolved, instead they polarize society and leave those of us who want better conditions in detention centres being shouted over by people who hate the concept of national borders, and people who rightly see that as a dangerous and destructive idea fighting back.

It's like if the left wing up and decided we had to abolish the concept of crime and prisons entirely because conditions are bad and just shouted abuse at the right wing who are like "That's anarchy and a terrible idea", meanwhile i'm here like;

"Maybe we keep prisons but sack guards who beat prisoners? Idk, crazy I know.".


We need control of immigration between countries, otherwise countries don't exist anymore. That being said, we can still treat migrants like people and not treat them like absolute shit for the simple crime of crossing a line on a map.


I agree. The solution therefore is more funding to border security, alongside part of this funding being earmarked to improve conditions and speed of processing. The backlog is a major reason for the decline in conditions. It's easier to have conditions a person is expected to stay in for a week before acceptance or deportation be acceptable quality than a place people might stay for years.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The plague has been worse for women.
It's true that more men are dying from COVID, but that's not exactly a cause for celebration.
https://i.redd.it/oqy5p3p1ayv41.png

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45081
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:32 am

Northern Ireland doesnt have white privilege, what we did have was ethnic privilege towards Protestant British people over Catholic Irish people for much of my homes existence, and this applied to basically every aspect of life in Northern Ireland. Catholic Irish were discriminated against in jobs, housing, political representation (suppression of rallies, organised meetings and gerry mandering of electoral boundaries) and rampant discrimination and ill treatment at the hands of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC, our police, now known as the Police Service of Northern Ireland, PSNI).

Thankfully this is gone (for the most part) and i didnt have to grow up through what my family went through, who had to deal with this shit on a daily basis, and some even had to fight to end it. For me and my circumstances of where i have grown up ive had to deal with some people who have bandied around white privilege at me for being white despite the fact they know nothing about my home and what my home was like for my people, so no i dont have white privilege, i have equality that was denied to my family for fucking decades in their own home, an equality that was denied to them because of their race, nationality and also religion.

50 years ago it would have been a nightmare for me to try and get into Uni, or to get a good high paying job, or to even enter into a relationship with someone who was a protestant brit. Fuck i can still get dogs abuse off of people for being irish from people who live in the same place as me and there are some people here in NI chomping at the thought of going back to what it was like.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Im Irish and live in Belfast Im a Leftwinger and im an Atheist

‘I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume

I like: The Red Agenda, video games, Not being a Wanker, Art, History, Blondes, Redheads, English Brunettes, Fortifications, Old Gregg, Tanks
I Dislike: The Blue Agenda, Being a Wanker, Gatekeeping, Likes and Dislikes lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Zealots, People who dont like Tanks

User avatar
Mettaton-EX
Diplomat
 
Posts: 615
Founded: Sep 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mettaton-EX » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:35 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:If far-left types spent their energies demanding better conditions instead of open borders the problem could be resolved,

you mean like when labor passed a bill to allow the refugees in the concentration camps to receive outside medical treatment and the lib/nats immediately turned around and started trying to repeal it?
THIS ROBOT IS TRANS | AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT | هٰذه الآلة تقتل الفاشيين
(prefer it/its but any pronouns are acceptable)

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 192801
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:40 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Northern Ireland doesnt have white privilege, what we did have was ethnic privilege towards Protestant British people over Catholic Irish people for much of my homes existence, and this applied to basically every aspect of life in Northern Ireland. Catholic Irish were discriminated against in jobs, housing, political representation (suppression of rallies, organised meetings and gerry mandering of electoral boundaries) and rampant discrimination and ill treatment at the hands of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC, our police, now known as the Police Service of Northern Ireland, PSNI).

Thankfully this is gone (for the most part) and i didnt have to grow up through what my family went through, who had to deal with this shit on a daily basis, and some even had to fight to end it. For me and my circumstances of where i have grown up ive had to deal with some people who have bandied around white privilege at me for being white despite the fact they know nothing about my home and what my home was like for my people, so no i dont have white privilege, i have equality that was denied to my family for fucking decades in their own home, an equality that was denied to them because of their race, nationality and also religion.

50 years ago it would have been a nightmare for me to try and get into Uni, or to get a good high paying job, or to even enter into a relationship with someone who was a protestant brit. Fuck i can still get dogs abuse off of people for being irish from people who live in the same place as me and there are some people here in NI chomping at the thought of going back to what it was like.


You guys have put in the effort to change things. Or did, for what I remember. That has to be said. I particularly liked the movement of establishing mixed schools, where you had Catholic students and Protestant students together coexisting.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:40 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Northern Ireland doesnt have white privilege, what we did have was ethnic privilege towards Protestant British people over Catholic Irish people for much of my homes existence, and this applied to basically every aspect of life in Northern Ireland. Catholic Irish were discriminated against in jobs, housing, political representation (suppression of rallies, organised meetings and gerry mandering of electoral boundaries) and rampant discrimination and ill treatment at the hands of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC, our police, now known as the Police Service of Northern Ireland, PSNI).

Thankfully this is gone (for the most part) and i didnt have to grow up through what my family went through, who had to deal with this shit on a daily basis, and some even had to fight to end it. For me and my circumstances of where i have grown up ive had to deal with some people who have bandied around white privilege at me for being white despite the fact they know nothing about my home and what my home was like for my people, so no i dont have white privilege, i have equality that was denied to my family for fucking decades in their own home, an equality that was denied to them because of their race, nationality and also religion.

50 years ago it would have been a nightmare for me to try and get into Uni, or to get a good high paying job, or to even enter into a relationship with someone who was a protestant brit. Fuck i can still get dogs abuse off of people for being irish from people who live in the same place as me and there are some people here in NI chomping at the thought of going back to what it was like.


The Irish were the first country to be colonized by Britain in the long history of Britain colonizing foreign ethnicities. As a result they suffered the longest (800 years) and the only thing that can truly finally fix the issue in my opinion is to reunite Northern Ireland with the Republic. One island is Ireland. One island is the UK. It just makes sense
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:41 am

Mettaton-EX wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:If far-left types spent their energies demanding better conditions instead of open borders the problem could be resolved,

you mean like when labor passed a bill to allow the refugees in the concentration camps to receive outside medical treatment and the lib/nats immediately turned around and started trying to repeal it?


Australia's right wing has recently been moving pretty far right, like when that one guy (I forget his name) basically blamed the victims for the Christchurch mosque attack
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45081
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:42 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Northern Ireland doesnt have white privilege, what we did have was ethnic privilege towards Protestant British people over Catholic Irish people for much of my homes existence, and this applied to basically every aspect of life in Northern Ireland. Catholic Irish were discriminated against in jobs, housing, political representation (suppression of rallies, organised meetings and gerry mandering of electoral boundaries) and rampant discrimination and ill treatment at the hands of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC, our police, now known as the Police Service of Northern Ireland, PSNI).

Thankfully this is gone (for the most part) and i didnt have to grow up through what my family went through, who had to deal with this shit on a daily basis, and some even had to fight to end it. For me and my circumstances of where i have grown up ive had to deal with some people who have bandied around white privilege at me for being white despite the fact they know nothing about my home and what my home was like for my people, so no i dont have white privilege, i have equality that was denied to my family for fucking decades in their own home, an equality that was denied to them because of their race, nationality and also religion.

50 years ago it would have been a nightmare for me to try and get into Uni, or to get a good high paying job, or to even enter into a relationship with someone who was a protestant brit. Fuck i can still get dogs abuse off of people for being irish from people who live in the same place as me and there are some people here in NI chomping at the thought of going back to what it was like.


You guys have put in the effort to change things. Or did, for what I remember. That has to be said. I particularly liked the movement of establishing mixed schools, where you had Catholic students and Protestant students together coexisting.
We do have some mixed schools, but still many what i would call segregated schools which are predominantly either catholic or protestant with small minorities of the other with some muslim kids or kids of other religions here and there. Defeating sectarianism in future generations needs to be tackled first in schools by getting more kids of the two communities together, alongside kids of the smaller immigrant communities (be they muslim, polish, chinese whatever)
Im Irish and live in Belfast Im a Leftwinger and im an Atheist

‘I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume

I like: The Red Agenda, video games, Not being a Wanker, Art, History, Blondes, Redheads, English Brunettes, Fortifications, Old Gregg, Tanks
I Dislike: The Blue Agenda, Being a Wanker, Gatekeeping, Likes and Dislikes lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Zealots, People who dont like Tanks

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 192801
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:44 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
You guys have put in the effort to change things. Or did, for what I remember. That has to be said. I particularly liked the movement of establishing mixed schools, where you had Catholic students and Protestant students together coexisting.
We do have some mixed schools, but still many what i would call segregated schools which are predominantly either catholic or protestant with small minorities of the other with some muslim kids or kids of other religions here and there. Defeating sectarianism in future generations needs to be tackled first in schools by getting more kids of the two communities together, alongside kids of the smaller immigrant communities (be they muslim, polish, chinese whatever)


I see. I thought the practice was more widespread instead of just causing segregation. Here’s to hoping that what you stated comes to pass.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45081
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:44 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Northern Ireland doesnt have white privilege, what we did have was ethnic privilege towards Protestant British people over Catholic Irish people for much of my homes existence, and this applied to basically every aspect of life in Northern Ireland. Catholic Irish were discriminated against in jobs, housing, political representation (suppression of rallies, organised meetings and gerry mandering of electoral boundaries) and rampant discrimination and ill treatment at the hands of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC, our police, now known as the Police Service of Northern Ireland, PSNI).

Thankfully this is gone (for the most part) and i didnt have to grow up through what my family went through, who had to deal with this shit on a daily basis, and some even had to fight to end it. For me and my circumstances of where i have grown up ive had to deal with some people who have bandied around white privilege at me for being white despite the fact they know nothing about my home and what my home was like for my people, so no i dont have white privilege, i have equality that was denied to my family for fucking decades in their own home, an equality that was denied to them because of their race, nationality and also religion.

50 years ago it would have been a nightmare for me to try and get into Uni, or to get a good high paying job, or to even enter into a relationship with someone who was a protestant brit. Fuck i can still get dogs abuse off of people for being irish from people who live in the same place as me and there are some people here in NI chomping at the thought of going back to what it was like.


The Irish were the first country to be colonized by Britain in the long history of Britain colonizing foreign ethnicities. As a result they suffered the longest (800 years) and the only thing that can truly finally fix the issue in my opinion is to reunite Northern Ireland with the Republic. One island is Ireland. One island is the UK. It just makes sense
Unfortunately its not as simple as that, many people here in NI are proudly british and want to be part of the UK, and many also just see it as more beneficial to be in the UK than Ireland. However with Brexit on the horizon and attitudes towards NI by the rest of the UK that may change in time, polls have shown a narrower margin between unification and staying in the UK but they should always be taken with a pinch of salt. And joining the ROI would still leave some lasting issues and cause a few more but i dont think it would ever be as bad as what happened before.
Im Irish and live in Belfast Im a Leftwinger and im an Atheist

‘I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume

I like: The Red Agenda, video games, Not being a Wanker, Art, History, Blondes, Redheads, English Brunettes, Fortifications, Old Gregg, Tanks
I Dislike: The Blue Agenda, Being a Wanker, Gatekeeping, Likes and Dislikes lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Zealots, People who dont like Tanks

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45081
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:46 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:We do have some mixed schools, but still many what i would call segregated schools which are predominantly either catholic or protestant with small minorities of the other with some muslim kids or kids of other religions here and there. Defeating sectarianism in future generations needs to be tackled first in schools by getting more kids of the two communities together, alongside kids of the smaller immigrant communities (be they muslim, polish, chinese whatever)


I see. I thought the practice was more widespread instead of just causing segregation. Here’s to hoping that what you stated comes to pass.

It depends on the communities too, some schools are situated between communities meaning they mix more as a result, or there have been campaigns to mix the two together at schools near by. Other areas with tensions can lead to their being separate schools or Catholics and protestants though not as much as there used to be.
Im Irish and live in Belfast Im a Leftwinger and im an Atheist

‘I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume

I like: The Red Agenda, video games, Not being a Wanker, Art, History, Blondes, Redheads, English Brunettes, Fortifications, Old Gregg, Tanks
I Dislike: The Blue Agenda, Being a Wanker, Gatekeeping, Likes and Dislikes lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Zealots, People who dont like Tanks

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:46 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I see. I thought the practice was more widespread instead of just causing segregation. Here’s to hoping that what you stated comes to pass.

It depends on the communities too, some schools are situated between communities meaning they mix more as a result, or there have been campaigns to mix the two together at schools near by. Other areas with tensions can lead to their being separate schools or Catholics and protestants though not as much as there used to be.


And of the course the peace walls are still a thing, so that causes major segregation between communities
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Heloin
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14626
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Heloin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:47 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Sure, racism was a thing in Australia in the 1970's, but it's not the 1970's anymore.

The Cronulla riots happened just 14 years ago.
I hope you meet the rabbit with the feather in her hat, the penny whistle girl with the orange colored cap.
Bells on her coat and a raggle taggle kind of grin, she'll teach you how to love if you believe in her


Free All Of Africa From Hate
Proudly Zimbabwean | Art Thread | Stand With Hong Kong | One Big Union | Zurk 2020 | Nobel Prize Winner

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45081
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:48 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:It depends on the communities too, some schools are situated between communities meaning they mix more as a result, or there have been campaigns to mix the two together at schools near by. Other areas with tensions can lead to their being separate schools or Catholics and protestants though not as much as there used to be.


And of the course the peace walls are still a thing, so that causes major segregation between communities

Walk past one on the way to work most days. They are open during the day but at night the gates are locked down. Ideally those gates wouldnt need to be there, though i wouldnt mind if some of the walls were preserved for history (minus the gates and with more access) and also because many of them have artwork and murals on display which should also be kept.
Im Irish and live in Belfast Im a Leftwinger and im an Atheist

‘I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume

I like: The Red Agenda, video games, Not being a Wanker, Art, History, Blondes, Redheads, English Brunettes, Fortifications, Old Gregg, Tanks
I Dislike: The Blue Agenda, Being a Wanker, Gatekeeping, Likes and Dislikes lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Zealots, People who dont like Tanks

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:49 am

Heloin wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Sure, racism was a thing in Australia in the 1970's, but it's not the 1970's anymore.

The Cronulla riots happened just 14 years ago.


And I doubt things have significantly changed enough since then to prevent another cronulla riots incident. It very well could happen again with the amount of racism in Australian society
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 192801
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:49 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I see. I thought the practice was more widespread instead of just causing segregation. Here’s to hoping that what you stated comes to pass.

It depends on the communities too, some schools are situated between communities meaning they mix more as a result, or there have been campaigns to mix the two together at schools near by. Other areas with tensions can lead to their being separate schools or Catholics and protestants though not as much as there used to be.


Has your family seen changes, all things considered, from their generation to yours and what do they think of the future regarding this schism between Catholic and Protestant? Do you think attitudes would change if the view of Protestant elites regarding native Irish were better?
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45081
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:00 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:It depends on the communities too, some schools are situated between communities meaning they mix more as a result, or there have been campaigns to mix the two together at schools near by. Other areas with tensions can lead to their being separate schools or Catholics and protestants though not as much as there used to be.


Has your family seen changes, all things considered, from their generation to yours and what do they think of the future regarding this schism between Catholic and Protestant? Do you think attitudes would change if the view of Protestant elites regarding native Irish were better?

They agree that things now a days are far better than what they went through, though my parents still harbour some hostility towards protestants and Britain in general because of what they grew up dealing with but they treat most protestants fine and never raised me or my siblings to harbour those feelings either. They think over time it will get even better, at least they hope it will.

There really isnt a "protestant elite" that much any more either bar the likes of the DUP's upper echelons, its more just entrenched bigotry from the two hardline aspects of NI's communities and trying to deal with that. If these two groups wised up and stopped being utter fucking cunts and stonewalling attempts at compromise i do feel things would be a lot better tho.

I dont want to turn this into a NI based thread tho because that is not what its about, so ill only respond briefly to comments at my original post from now on, the topic is about white privilege from the view of a white person and things that tie into that.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Im Irish and live in Belfast Im a Leftwinger and im an Atheist

‘I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume

I like: The Red Agenda, video games, Not being a Wanker, Art, History, Blondes, Redheads, English Brunettes, Fortifications, Old Gregg, Tanks
I Dislike: The Blue Agenda, Being a Wanker, Gatekeeping, Likes and Dislikes lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Zealots, People who dont like Tanks

User avatar
Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1763
Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:01 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Northern Ireland doesnt have white privilege, what we did have was ethnic privilege towards Protestant British people over Catholic Irish people for much of my homes existence, and this applied to basically every aspect of life in Northern Ireland. Catholic Irish were discriminated against in jobs, housing, political representation (suppression of rallies, organised meetings and gerry mandering of electoral boundaries) and rampant discrimination and ill treatment at the hands of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC, our police, now known as the Police Service of Northern Ireland, PSNI).

Thankfully this is gone (for the most part) and i didnt have to grow up through what my family went through, who had to deal with this shit on a daily basis, and some even had to fight to end it. For me and my circumstances of where i have grown up ive had to deal with some people who have bandied around white privilege at me for being white despite the fact they know nothing about my home and what my home was like for my people, so no i dont have white privilege, i have equality that was denied to my family for fucking decades in their own home, an equality that was denied to them because of their race, nationality and also religion.

50 years ago it would have been a nightmare for me to try and get into Uni, or to get a good high paying job, or to even enter into a relationship with someone who was a protestant brit. Fuck i can still get dogs abuse off of people for being irish from people who live in the same place as me and there are some people here in NI chomping at the thought of going back to what it was like.

Can't benefit from your skin colour if you're part of another marginalised demographic.

TIL I don't have white privilege.

Or maybe Huskar's just posting drunk again.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45081
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:02 am

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Northern Ireland doesnt have white privilege, what we did have was ethnic privilege towards Protestant British people over Catholic Irish people for much of my homes existence, and this applied to basically every aspect of life in Northern Ireland. Catholic Irish were discriminated against in jobs, housing, political representation (suppression of rallies, organised meetings and gerry mandering of electoral boundaries) and rampant discrimination and ill treatment at the hands of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC, our police, now known as the Police Service of Northern Ireland, PSNI).

Thankfully this is gone (for the most part) and i didnt have to grow up through what my family went through, who had to deal with this shit on a daily basis, and some even had to fight to end it. For me and my circumstances of where i have grown up ive had to deal with some people who have bandied around white privilege at me for being white despite the fact they know nothing about my home and what my home was like for my people, so no i dont have white privilege, i have equality that was denied to my family for fucking decades in their own home, an equality that was denied to them because of their race, nationality and also religion.

50 years ago it would have been a nightmare for me to try and get into Uni, or to get a good high paying job, or to even enter into a relationship with someone who was a protestant brit. Fuck i can still get dogs abuse off of people for being irish from people who live in the same place as me and there are some people here in NI chomping at the thought of going back to what it was like.

Can't benefit from your skin colour if you're part of another marginalised demographic.

TIL I don't have white privilege.

Or maybe Huskar's just posting drunk again.

No im not drunk, im talking about the circumstances of my home.
Im Irish and live in Belfast Im a Leftwinger and im an Atheist

‘I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume

I like: The Red Agenda, video games, Not being a Wanker, Art, History, Blondes, Redheads, English Brunettes, Fortifications, Old Gregg, Tanks
I Dislike: The Blue Agenda, Being a Wanker, Gatekeeping, Likes and Dislikes lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Zealots, People who dont like Tanks

User avatar
Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1763
Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:14 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:Can't benefit from your skin colour if you're part of another marginalised demographic.

TIL I don't have white privilege.

Or maybe Huskar's just posting drunk again.

No im not drunk, im talking about the circumstances of my home.

And the circumstances are that, all other things being equal (same religion, gender, equally well-off etc) a white person in Northern Ireland faces no advantages that a person of colour does not? And the PoC faces no challenges that the white person does not?

We should probably start encouraging PoC living in GB to move to the racially enlightened utopia that is Northern Ireland, then.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Alan Smithee Nation, Dumb Ideologies, Fartsniffage, Glorious Hong Kong, Kowani, Lillorainen, Nanatsu no Tsuki, Nobel Hobos 2, Nuroblav

Advertisement

Remove ads