NATION

PASSWORD

Amazon deforestation nearly beyond recovery

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:59 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:I guess it's time to build my ark.

If you need to listen to music while building the ark, I would suggest the following from Ven. golden band age. Turn it up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBJN8BVytSM :lol:
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:53 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Its more than wood, its soybeans, corn, cattle. These are sustainable industries.

Not in rainforest soil they aren't. Rainforests have crappy soil that only remains fertile because of rotting leaves and trees and such. If you take away the trees and then try to farm something on it that you take away (like soybeans or corn), you'll deplete the soil nutrients in a couple of years in a way that will be very difficult/impossible to replenish with artificial fertilizers. You'll also lose the frequent rains. Cattle require grasses to grow in the area, and it's going to be difficult to transition from forest to grasses on poor soil, especially since as long as the frequent rains happen, once the trees are gone, the soil's going to wash away.

Yes, it will rain less. What this means for parts of Brazil is that less rain means plants that rely on bountiful rains will dry up. Less rain means less water dripping down to the sub-pools where people get water from drilling wells. It takes centuries to replenish these sun-pools. Less rain means small rivers dry up while larger ones get much smaller. This will affect river navigation in some parts. Then fresh water resources for some cities and large populated regions in Brazil will be in danger of drying up. But before this happens there will be rationing of water. No water no farming or industrialization. Solution would be to build de-salination plants but these cost plenty. There could be many that cannot afford to pay the for this expensive de-salinated water. The economy will be impacted big time. Chaos could erupt.

I did not even include the geopolitical problems. Western Peru is dry. Eastern Peru is not dry since the Andes cause it to rain. With droughts in Western Peru at times being severe, Peru in one project has built a dam to hold back water for use in the arid lands of Western Peru. This means Brazil gets much less water since water tends to flow from the Peruvian Andes down to Brazil and out to the South Atlantic. Read this on that - https://www.freshfruitportal.com/news/2 ... rrigation/
Last edited by Rio Cana on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:I guess it's time to build my ark.

If you need to listen to music while building the ark, I would suggest the following from Ven. golden band age. Turn it up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBJN8BVytSM :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zMqWHxUbbhQ

Play this on my boat
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:55 pm

"The director of the Brazilian agency that monitors deforestation was sacked Friday, following a public face-off with Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro. Physicist Ricardo Galvão announced his own ousting as director of National Institute for Space Research (INPE) to reporters in the capital Brasília, saying his altercation with the president had made the situation “unsustainable.” No replacement has been announced."

"Known for his stout personality, Galvão challenged Bolsonaro on 20 July, rebutting remarks about deforestation the president had made the day before. Questioned by journalists about the rise of deforestation in the Amazon—as indicated by satellite data from INPE’s Real-Time Deforestation Detection System (DETER)—Bolsonaro called the institute’s data “a lie,” and said Galvão appeared to be “at the service of some nongovernmental organization.” Galvão replied by calling Bolsonaro a “coward,” defended INPE science, and dared Bolsonaro to repeat the accusation to his face."

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/08 ... orestation?
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Playing In The Water
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Playing In The Water » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:13 pm

It's a remarkable day when someone - a head of state, no less - can openly decry photographic evidence as false and not be tossed out of office for having lost his mind. Satellites have no political bias; the mathematic formulas used to calculate the rapidity of the disappearing rainforest are not affiliated with a political platform or party. Yet somehow, Bolsonaro adamantly blathers that they are, and nobody bats an eyelash anymore. The Brazilian administration continues to rumble on with nary a hiccup of protest.

Of course I'm just being a bit silly, as he is not at all the first one to declare reality to be false simply because he doesn't like it. He's just using the same playbook as that other person who adamantly declared that an open, near-empty pavilion was full of 'the largest crowds ever.'

How many more of these lunatics are we going to elect, guys? Seriously. We can't keep doing this; the damning science looming over our heads is proof enough that we cannot afford to anymore.
Terraliberty wrote:What do you call an abortion in Prague? A cancelled Czech!

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:17 pm

Playing In The Water wrote:It's a remarkable day when someone - a head of state, no less - can openly decry photographic evidence as false and not be tossed out of office for having lost his mind. Satellites have no political bias; the mathematic formulas used to calculate the rapidity of the disappearing rainforest are not affiliated with a political platform or party. Yet somehow, Bolsonaro adamantly blathers that they are, and nobody bats an eyelash anymore. The Brazilian administration continues to rumble on with nary a hiccup of protest.

Of course I'm just being a bit silly, as he is not at all the first one to declare reality to be false simply because he doesn't like it. He's just using the same playbook as that other person who adamantly declared that an open, near-empty pavilion was full of 'the largest crowds ever.'

How many more of these lunatics are we going to elect, guys? Seriously. We can't keep doing this; the damning science looming over our heads is proof enough that we cannot afford to anymore.

To be frank, the ones that elect them, or at the very least their dedicated supporters, are no different.
Last edited by Duvniask on Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Duvniask wrote:
Playing In The Water wrote:It's a remarkable day when someone - a head of state, no less - can openly decry photographic evidence as false and not be tossed out of office for having lost his mind. Satellites have no political bias; the mathematic formulas used to calculate the rapidity of the disappearing rainforest are not affiliated with a political platform or party. Yet somehow, Bolsonaro adamantly blathers that they are, and nobody bats an eyelash anymore. The Brazilian administration continues to rumble on with nary a hiccup of protest.

To be frank, the ones that elect them, or at the very least their dedicated supporters, are no different.

And the symphony of destruction plays on. It's too bad we all have to face the consequences of the actions of an ignorant few
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Playing In The Water
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Playing In The Water » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Duvniask wrote:To be frank, the ones that elect them, or at the very least their dedicated supporters, are no different.

Then they are legitimately threatening the country to a ridiculous degree, and should be called out/treated as such. Nobody would be nearly so passive if these dedicated supporters were actively propping up, say, a domestic extremist cell that had made a quantifiable promise to decimate entire cities, destroy infrastructure, and indiscriminately kill tens of thousands - if not millions - of people. Yet the changing climate and the liars and lunatics that enable our continual descent into an uncontrollable future are doing precisely that, right now.

This 'frog in the pot' business has gone on more than long enough to start scaring me. I never would have realized just how thick the blinders are that some sections of society wear.

5 Kingdoms of Britannia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2019

Postby 5 Kingdoms of Britannia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Guys this is a matter for Brazil if you want go a head violent Brazilian sovereignty, send the message to Russia and China that they can invade any nation as long as the claim they are protecting the environment. Go a head I cant wait for us upper middle class idiots realise that there bigger issues going on then rainforest or climate change that will kill us sooner if we dont fix them. But you know what this thread will dissolve into an echo chamber any way so why do I bother?
Sorry for acting quite rude it's just all these threads end up putting g forward same insane ideas that dont work and I just want conversation too move on! Sorry for your time and have a nice day :)

Playing In The Water
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Playing In The Water » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:56 pm

5 kingdoms of Britannia wrote:Guys this is a matter for Brazil

Already false; this is a global matter. That is literally the entire premise - and complication - of planet-wide climate change.

if you want go a head violent Brazilian sovereignty, send the message to Russia and China that they can invade any nation as long as the claim they are protecting the environment. Go a head I cant wait for us upper middle class idiots realise that there bigger issues going on then rainforest or climate change that will kill us sooner if we dont fix them.

Violence and warfare are terrible, but have not yet threatened the extinction of mankind (beyond nuclear conflict, which we seem to have a handle on at the moment? Fingers crossed). Climate change does. It threatens to undermine virtually every aspect of society - to say nothing of planetary climactic stability - as we know it. There is literally no larger issue that exists. At least not until astronomers spy an approaching meteor with us in its crosshairs or something.

But you know what this thread will dissolve into an echo chamber any way so why do I bother?

If by 'echo chamber' you mean 'people rightfully fearing the collapse of the biosphere,' then yes, we are echoing somewhat. I literally just mentioned this, though; climate change is not a political issue, or at least it sure as hell shouldn't be. The scientific consensus is not biased. It is not 'left-leaning' simply because leftward-oriented political parties generally are the first to have picked up on supporting trying to find a solution to the issue (even if some parties' support is nothing more than lip service to garner votes). Climate science does not care about our stance on guns or sovereignty or bodily/identity/gender rights; it will veer and topple and crash despite virtually everything else we say we hold dear as tenets of civilization.

Sorry for acting quite rude it's just all these threads end up putting g forward same insane ideas that dont work and I just want conversation too move on! Sorry for your time and have a nice day :)

I don't think you were rude at all to be honest, and I am seriously right there with you; I want nothing more than the conversation to move forward, past the point of mere conversation, to the point of physically implementing and enacting actual solutions with results we can see and measure in turn, without being stymied by those seemingly married to the concepts of ignorance, denial, and greed.

I hope you have a nice day too, wherever in this funny, teetering world you are.

Karevka
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:12 pm

We should all get together and plant as many trees as possible, build our own carbon sinks. Lobby for climate change protection, convince your friends and family to vote for pro-climate candidates the deniers are losing ground. Get loud and raise awareness. There's so much we can do:

https://www.drawdown.org/solutions
https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/top-10-ways-can-stop-climate-change/

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Karevka wrote:We should all get together and plant as many trees as possible, build our own carbon sinks. Lobby for climate change protection, convince your friends and family to vote for pro-climate candidates the deniers are losing ground. Get loud and raise awareness. There's so much we can do:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It's all tears in the rain by now.
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

Playing In The Water
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Playing In The Water » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:30 pm

Crysuko wrote:
Karevka wrote:We should all get together and plant as many trees as possible, build our own carbon sinks. Lobby for climate change protection, convince your friends and family to vote for pro-climate candidates the deniers are losing ground. Get loud and raise awareness. There's so much we can do:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It's all tears in the rain by now.

You very probably are right, but I much prefer to believe Karevka anyway. If there's one aspect of humanity that matches our ability to fuck things up, it's our propensity to never give up, either.

In the end, what's the harm in trying?

Anyway, I need to go find some baby trees...and some empty space to put them, too. I live in just about the woodiest place in the world. Pretty thankful for that tbh, but it might make planting new ones a bit tricky.

Fasma
Attaché

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fasma » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 pm

We owe it to future generations to put an end to this catastrophe and protect the environment for their children's children and beyond.

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:45 pm

Trollgaard wrote:I would support, and join, military conservationist interventions.

Who's going to intervene? Bolsonaro's government is ideologically similar to the governments of the US, Australia, the UK, Russia etc. The west has elected right-wing governments all over the place and is now paying the price. If anything, the west would cheer Bolsonaro for opening the gates for more intensive deforestation of the rainforest.

But this is nothing new. The west willingly elected people whose ideology says Jesus will come down from the sky at some point in the future to take us all to sky land. Why should a politician who follows this dogma care about Earth's sustainability?

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:47 pm

-Ocelot- wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:I would support, and join, military conservationist interventions.

Who's going to intervene? Bolsonaro's government is ideologically similar to the governments of the US, Australia, the UK, Russia etc. The west has elected right-wing governments all over the place and is now paying the price. If anything, the west would cheer Bolsonaro for opening the gates for more intensive deforestation of the rainforest.

But this is nothing new. The west willingly elected people whose ideology says Jesus will come down from the sky at some point in the future to take us all to sky land. Why should a politician who follows this dogma care about Earth's sustainability?

Pretty much. Nobody is going to do anything about it.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:10 am

The Lone Alliance wrote:You know if you're so in tune about saving the rainforest, then someone should just buy up as much of the rainforest as possible and station armed guards there to shoot the illegal loggers.

It's not like the Brazilian military can do much to stop them.

And how would it be "Beyond recovery" does that mean the rest of the rainforest is somehow going to die in sympathy?

How does that even work?

If you remove a vital part of an ecosystem or introduce a new unknown then it's very common for the entire ecosystem to be thrown into chaos.

Take Yellowstone for example. All of the wolves were killed or relocated, allowing deer to multiply by a kajillion and graze in areas they traditionally didn't because of wolves (Like river and lank fronts), leading to quicker erosion and destruction around those areas, leading to bison dying off due to the lack of food because of deer, which ruined the landscape and started leading to a die off in the area (Luckily it was noticed in time and wolves got reintroduced).
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:26 am

Nakena wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:

Pretty much. Nobody is going to do anything about it.

Nobody with power, anyway.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:19 am

It is pretty much evidence that Bolsonaro is corrupt.
Everything is intertwinkled

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Founded: May 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:25 am

this is worst tragedy, and pollution of soil

ImperialRussia
Ambassador

Founded: May 16, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby ImperialRussia » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:06 pm

It has already recovered thanks to Mr.Beast

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:11 pm

*BLAM!* BACK INTO YOUR GRAVE ZOMBIE THREAD! *BLAM!*
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General