NATION

PASSWORD

Classes on Islam should be mandatory, UK teachers say

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:40 am

Gormwood wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:Why should they change when the West bends over backwards to appease and apologize for Islam's problems because not doing so leads to terrorism?

Calling all Muslims terrorists. Fresh concept.

Muslims aren't terrorists inherently. The problem that DOES lead to Islamic terrorism is the lack of reform for the modern time.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Al Mumtahanah
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Al Mumtahanah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:40 am

Ors Might wrote:
Al Mumtahanah wrote:I'm just trying to make a point, and then we'll end it: adulthood is a mutable concept. It started very young in that time in place. In America it started at 21 (although women could marry as children until recently). It was lowered to 18. In some western countries it is 16. In that time and place, puberty marked adulthood.

And they were wrong, because one’s brain is pretty far behind the necessary development to make those kinds of decisions when you’ve just hit puberty.

Brain still isn't full developed at 18. But brain development is not really used for these things, cultural definition of adulthood is.
Ifreann wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:How about if I don't wanna learn about Islam I shouldn't have to?

Makes about as much sense as letting kids decide that if they don't wanna eat then they shouldn't have to.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:40 am

The Lone Alliance wrote:
N7eternia wrote:In my little experience so far with Muslims in general, right now for me, I realize that they have a very different way of thinking and communication which is extremely frustrating for me. They never really say what they mean and because I'm not Muslim---unless I'm trusted by them---I will always sense the barrier of 'keep this non-Muslim at arms length.'

If I was a kid again, with a fresh slate from all religions, maybe this wouldn't bother me because I simply just don't know. Right now? I still don't know. Islam seems to be stuck at a place in time where everything is set in stone and nothing can change.

Why should they change when the West bends over backwards to appease and apologize for Islam's problems because not doing so leads to terrorism?

It's time to stop bending and start telling people "this is the way we do things around here. If you don't like it then leave." In my hometown we have bars, night clubs and enough Jamaican rum to take down an elephant. If that triggers you, don't move here. it makes ZERO sense why people who find the ways of life in the West to be degenerate are moving here.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017

Postby Greater Cesnica » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:41 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Splendid. I don't want to see any imams, mullahs, and any Muslim parent for that matter complain in that case.

In the Netherlands muslim kids do tend to simply not show up for history lessons about the holocaust; or even disrupt them outright through yelling about the "vileness of jews". It has gotten so bad that some schools simply stopped teaching it.

Tell those Muslim kids they can leave any time. Considering they live in a country that suffered through the horrors of Nazi occupation.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Playing In The Water
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Playing In The Water » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:41 am

I have to say that I am not in favour of parents being able to opt their children out of selective sections of a mandatory course. If it is a collection of religions that are studied in Religious Education (I am not at all familiar with UK schooling, but many previous posters here have been adamant that RE contains lessons on a wide variety of faiths) then all those faiths need to be equally covered. Being permitted to remove one's child from one segment of it is ludicrous.

Just how blockheaded an idea it is becomes more evident if one tries to imagine being able to do it in other classes: taking maths, but your parents don't feel you need to learn fractions; taking english, but your parents remove you at times because they have a special dislike for adverbs and simply hate the literary style of Shakespeare; taking biology, but your parents don't want you to learn about radial symmetry (or perhaps more controversially and to-the-point, they remove you from sections on evolution). Ditto for a course teaching about race conflict and/or LGBT issues.

So yes, the long and short of it is that I wholly believe that a student must equally attend and take part in every one of the religions being introduced to them in RE. As prior posters have mentioned that it is not a proselytizing sales pitch and instead is simply explaining the differing aspects between them - history, some modern viewpoints and moral positions and the like - I don't feel that being allowed to opt out of sections of the course is acceptable. Either teach them all or none at all.
Terraliberty wrote:What do you call an abortion in Prague? A cancelled Czech!

Al Mumtahanah
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Al Mumtahanah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:41 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Calling all Muslims terrorists. Fresh concept.

Muslims aren't terrorists inherently. The problem that DOES lead to Islamic terrorism is the lack of reform for the modern time.

You advocate bid'ah?
Ifreann wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:How about if I don't wanna learn about Islam I shouldn't have to?

Makes about as much sense as letting kids decide that if they don't wanna eat then they shouldn't have to.

West Phoenicia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2017

Postby West Phoenicia » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:41 am

Al Mumtahanah wrote:
Parents should not be allowed to selectively remove their children from religious education (RE) lessons, headteachers say, as study reveals many withdrawal requests are over the teaching of Islam.

More than two in five school leaders and RE teachers have received requests for students to be withdrawn from teaching about one religion, research from Liverpool Hope University has revealed.

I have to agree with the teachers, if LGBT classes are mandatory, why not classes on Islam?

Iman Atta, director of Tell Mama, an activist group which records and measures anti-Muslim incidents in Britain, told The Independent: “We have been hearing about cases where parents are pulling their children out of mosque visits as part of religious education since they do not want them to be near a mosque.

“This has been taking place over the last five years and shows that there are parents who have fears or dislike Islam. This is also concerning, since what kinds of views are their children being exposed to? It does not bode well for the future of people and communities living together”.

The right of parents to withdraw their children from RE and from collective worship has been in enshrined in law by both the 1944 and 1988 education acts. Parents can withdraw their children from some or all of the RE curriculum without giving a reason.

Teachers warned in April last year that parents were increasingly abusing the right to withdraw their children from religious education lessons due to their prejudices.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/educ ... 76366.html

So how should this be fixed? Children can't learn about Islam if parents refuse to let them. Should the law be changed? I think so and teachers agree.

Than Muslim students need to be taught about other faiths also and made to take communion when they study the Christian faith. It is wrong to force kids of opposing faiths or no faith to do more than understand the basics.

When they teach LGBTI+ students of the same gender are not asked to pairoff into same gender pairs and make out. So neither should atheist or non Muslim girls be forced to put on a Hajib
In the name of tolerance education etc.

Just like primary school kids of other faiths are forced to attend Mosque and recite the prayer. To disagree is hypocrisy.

Classes can be taught in World Religions, giving everyone the basics. But unless it's a specific religious school and it goes beyond the basics. Parents have every right to pull their kids out.
If a kid wants to know more they can attend a Sunday service, or Friday night prayer to know more.

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:42 am

Al Mumtahanah wrote:
Ors Might wrote:And they were wrong, because one’s brain is pretty far behind the necessary development to make those kinds of decisions when you’ve just hit puberty.

Brain still isn't full developed at 18. But brain development is not really used for these things, cultural definition of adulthood is.

Indeed, one should be considered an adult at twenty five. Brain development not being used is exactly why they’re wrong.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:43 am

Ifreann wrote:

You need to eat to survive. You don't need to know about Islam to survive

We don't need to know about Islam and I don't wanna know anymore. The amount I already know is too much for me to handle
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:43 am

Ors Might wrote:
Cappuccina wrote:Not really. It's a given that having members of the opposite sex would distract a good amount of people to some degree. You shouldn't be focused on how good someone's cologne smells or how round their bottom is during prayer. One's mind should be wholly unpolluted while appealing to the Lord (swt).

If pretty much every Christian in my church can do it, Muslims should be capable of it too.

Churches are also notorious places for people to hookup.
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:43 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Makes about as much sense as letting kids decide that if they don't wanna eat then they shouldn't have to.

We don't need to know about Islam and I don't wanna know anymore. The amount I already know is too much for me to handle

Islam is now the Necronomicon. Cool.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Al Mumtahanah
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Al Mumtahanah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:43 am

Ors Might wrote:
Al Mumtahanah wrote:Brain still isn't full developed at 18. But brain development is not really used for these things, cultural definition of adulthood is.

Indeed, one should be considered an adult at twenty five. Brain development not being used is exactly why they’re wrong.

Instead of raising it though the United States lowered it from 21 to 18. Cultural norms changed
Ifreann wrote:

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:44 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Makes about as much sense as letting kids decide that if they don't wanna eat then they shouldn't have to.

I for one would very much rather know far less about what horrors await me and others of my sexual preference in Hell. It’s been more than a bit detrimental to my mental health.

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:44 am

Al Mumtahanah wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Indeed, one should be considered an adult at twenty five. Brain development not being used is exactly why they’re wrong.

Instead of raising it though the United States lowered it from 21 to 18. Cultural norms changed

And culture can be wrong. As I’ve said.

Al Mumtahanah
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Al Mumtahanah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:44 am

Cappuccina wrote:
Ors Might wrote:If pretty much every Christian in my church can do it, Muslims should be capable of it too.

Churches are also notorious places for people to hookup.

Granny swingers?
Ifreann wrote:

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am

Al Mumtahanah wrote:
Cappuccina wrote:Churches are also notorious places for people to hookup.

Granny swingers?

Its not uncommon for people to date and marry within their church, especially if those churches tend to hold picnics and other community events.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Splendid. I don't want to see any imams, mullahs, and any Muslim parent for that matter complain in that case.

In the Netherlands muslim kids do tend to simply not show up for history lessons about the holocaust; or even disrupt them outright through yelling about the "vileness of jews". It has gotten so bad that some schools simply stopped teaching it.

Well that's a load of shit. maybe if those kids can't stand to hear about the holocaust or hate jews, they shouldn't live in the NETHERLANDS which has one of the largest Jewish populations in Europe. I can't believe they would stop teaching the holocaust just cause a bunch of 12 year old bigots have an issue with it.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005

Postby The Lone Alliance » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 am

Gormwood wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:Why should they change when the West bends over backwards to appease and apologize for Islam's problems because not doing so leads to terrorism?

Calling all Muslims terrorists. Fresh concept.
You lying about what other people say, business as usual for you.

I am pointing out that trying to forcibly confront Islam would lead to Muslims feeling oppressed and that could lead to violence and terrorism.

Telling an entire group of people that their culture must change tends to piss people off no matter what culture they're part of.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:47 am

Ors Might wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

I for one would very much rather know far less about what horrors await me and others of my sexual preference in Hell. It’s been more than a bit detrimental to my mental health.

Someone needs to sit these folks down and tell them to mind their own business and stop intruding on other people's lives
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al Mumtahanah
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Al Mumtahanah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:48 am

Ors Might wrote:
Al Mumtahanah wrote:Granny swingers?

Its not uncommon for people to date and marry within their church, especially if those churches tend to hold picnics and other community events.

That is common in mosques too but you must ask her father to talk to her. Members of the opposite sex sit at different tables during community meals.
Last edited by Al Mumtahanah on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ifreann wrote:

Greater Loegria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Loegria » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:48 am

Comparative studies yes, ignorance in this country regarding Islam is quite staggering considering the extent to which people like to virtue signal about it. Ideally, Islam would be the belief system of people living far away and only really the concern of Orientalists, theologians and diplomats, but alas it has found its way onto our streets and in strength too -both in terms of adherents and the many many attacks on our soil.

Perhaps if many so called liberals saw what was in Qur’an they’d be less eager to import it into our society.
CONFŒDERATIO MAGNA LŒGRIÆ
Y Gynghraig Lloegreg Mawr

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.-J.R.R Tolkien
A theocratic military junta, a Brythonic ennobled republic with a Roman flair. Imperialistic and Nationalistic, balancing deep social conservatism with a social economy. 260 million strong, led by a Lord Chancellor from the ancient city of Caer Ddywfol
Tradionalist Catholic British Nationalist
Pro: Christianity, Nationalism, Traditionalism, Environmentalism, Ruralism, Integralism and Ancestral Heritage
Anti: Globalism, Progressivism, Capitalism, Socialism, Immigration, Neo-Liberalism
British Catholic Student of Classical Antiquity. Fond of pints, rugger, the outdoors and Western Classical Arts. Reservist-in-Training

Playing In The Water
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Playing In The Water » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:48 am

The Alma Mater wrote:In the Netherlands muslim kids do tend to simply not show up for history lessons about the holocaust; or even disrupt them outright through yelling about the "vileness of jews". It has gotten so bad that some schools simply stopped teaching it.

This is disgusting if true. I'm really hoping it's not, but if it is, then the book needs to be thrown at any and all students who engage in that sort of behaviour. Nobody can be allowed to erase critical parts of history just to sate their own ingrained bigotry.
Terraliberty wrote:What do you call an abortion in Prague? A cancelled Czech!

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:49 am

Greater Loegria wrote:Comparative studies yes, ignorance in this country regarding Islam is quite staggering considering the extent to which people like to virtue signal about it. Ideally, Islam would be the belief system of people living far away and only really the concern of Orientalists, theologians and diplomats, but alas it has found its way onto our streets and in strength too -both in terms of adherents and the many many attacks on our soil.

Perhaps if many so called liberals saw what was in Qur’an they’d be less eager to import it into our society.

People have a right to be Muslims in the west. My issue comes in when they try to turn us into Muslims

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:50 am

Al Mumtahanah wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Its not uncommon for people to date and marry within their church, especially if those churches tend to hold picnics and other community events.

That is common in mosques too but you must ask her father to talk to her. Members of the opposite sex sit at different tables during community meals.

In Christian churches, its typically believed that women are capable of acting without parent permission.

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:50 am

Al Mumtahanah wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Its not uncommon for people to date and marry within their church, especially if those churches tend to hold picnics and other community events.

As they should.
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General