NATION

PASSWORD

Classes on Islam should be mandatory, UK teachers say

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:37 am

Is RE in the UK its own class? If it is, wouldn’t it make more sense for it to be an elective going over the history and beliefs of religions while religious tolerance is promoted in the same way you promote not bullying other kids for being different? I’d imagine those two would have some overlap.

You don’t need to have an in-depth knowledge of a religion in order to have been taught to not hate them.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:38 am

The Grims wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:Then why make a single, exclusive Islam clas to teach exclusively about Islam? No, that's a stupid idea. Just make a single religion class where the big religions can be teached about. The school system is failed and already has useless subjects, why make 1 more useless subject?

You did not read anything, did you ?
There is a general course about world religions. Parents however keep their children at home during the classes about Islam.

Okay whatever. I guess the kids will fail the test and flunk the test. It's no skin off our noses
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:38 am

The Grims wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:Then why make a single, exclusive Islam clas to teach exclusively about Islam? No, that's a stupid idea. Just make a single religion class where the big religions can be teached about. The school system is failed and already has useless subjects, why make 1 more useless subject?

There is a general course about world religions. Parents however keep their children at home during the classes about Islam.

Meh. If the parents can skip classes about Islam, parents should also be able to skip classes about Catholicism or other religions, I don't care. I view religion as useless, after all.
squid
female who is (unapologetically) in love with females ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5.75, -5.33

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:39 am

If the parents believe Team America: World Police is a documentary and want to pull their kids out of Islamic religious study classes before they catch the Muzzie Zombie Virus then it's their right. A shame the kids will be more likely to believe stereotypes but as long as they don't go beating or murdering Muslims no big deal.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:40 am

Inkopolitia wrote:
The Grims wrote:

Meh. If the parents can skip classes about Islam, parents should also be able to skip classes about Catholicism or other religions, I don't care. I view religion as useless, after all.

Institutional religion is archaic as far as I'm concerned. It's the way people explained natural phenomena before the scientific reasons were discovered.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Minachia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Minachia » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:41 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Al Mumtahanah wrote:It applies to both groups. Most mosques separate them by a screen or a wall.

Nice. Instead of dehumanizing one gender or another, you dehumanized every one

To be fair, Al Mum claims the purpose is to keep attendees focused on prayer and not the hot chick/dude on the other side of the room.
Be a good person and don't use NS stats. The insane ones, at least.
Full name: Caero-Minachia. The CH is hard because Italian spelling.
Basically Rome, but Christian and modern.
Now with more Slavs!
Our leader has a ridiculously long title.
Carthago delenda est.
Lutheran Christian (LCMS), politically apathetic (
though I have gotten recent interest in Christian Democracy).
Elparia's Official Florida Man.
Christ is King, even if you don't believe it.
♔ Monarchist
Una buonissima canzone.
More OOC crap.
Discord, 'cause why not?

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:41 am

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:
Kronica wrote:Sorry but... Islam is the most violent religion in the world. It is like saying "Let's make IRA classes mandatory"

I mean, nothing wrong with learning about the IRA. The IRA is a pretty big part of British history. Islam isn't.

Learn about how Cromwell did nothing wrong.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:41 am

Gormwood wrote:If the parents believe Team America: World Police is a documentary and want to pull their kids out of Islamic religious study classes before they catch the Muzzie Zombie Virus then it's their right. A shame the kids will be more likely to believe stereotypes but as long as they don't go beating or murdering Muslims no big deal.

This isn't something school should teach. People ought to have the common sense to not be bigots and if they dont, no class will save them

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:41 am

Ors Might wrote:Is RE in the UK its own class?

Yes it is.

Ors Might wrote:If it is, wouldn’t it make more sense for it to be an elective going over the history and beliefs of religions while religious tolerance is promoted in the same way you promote not bullying other kids for being different? I’d imagine those two would have some overlap.

A lot less students would take it if it were elective. At a guesstimate the classes would lose 75%+ of their students.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Al Mumtahanah
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Al Mumtahanah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:42 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Al Mumtahanah wrote:It applies to both groups. Most mosques separate them by a screen or a wall.

Doesn't feel dehumanizing
Ifreann wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:How about if I don't wanna learn about Islam I shouldn't have to?

Makes about as much sense as letting kids decide that if they don't wanna eat then they shouldn't have to.

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:42 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:Meh. If the parents can skip classes about Islam, parents should also be able to skip classes about Catholicism or other religions, I don't care. I view religion as useless, after all.

Institutional religion is archaic as far as I'm concerned. It's the way people explained natural phenomena before the scientific reasons were discovered.

Agree. Religion is a thing of the past
squid
5.75, -5.33

Trinadaed
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trinadaed » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:42 am

If they teach Islam, they must teach other religions too. Unless they also teach other religions, I will say no.
W E A R E A L L P O T A T O E S .

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:43 am

Minachia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

To be fair, Al Mum claims the purpose is to keep attendees focused on prayer and not the hot chick/dude on the other side of the room.

The idea that the bumsweat of the man in front of you is not more distracting is an odd one.

The Grims
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:45 am

Trinadaed wrote:If they teach Islam, they must teach other religions too. Unless they also teach other religions, I will say no.

They do - and yes, this means muslims will not be able to opt out of classes about devil worship, paganism or the worldview that Mohammed was a bad man. Fair is fair.

Al Mumtahanah
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Al Mumtahanah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:45 am

The Grims wrote:
Minachia wrote:To be fair, Al Mum claims the purpose is to keep attendees focused on prayer and not the hot chick/dude on the other side of the room.

The idea that the bumsweat of the man in front of you is not more distracting is an odd one.

Muslims are supposed to dress very cleanly for mosque and it is customary to use perfume.
Ifreann wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:How about if I don't wanna learn about Islam I shouldn't have to?

Makes about as much sense as letting kids decide that if they don't wanna eat then they shouldn't have to.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:45 am

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:
Kronica wrote:Sorry but... Islam is the most violent religion in the world. It is like saying "Let's make IRA classes mandatory"

I mean, nothing wrong with learning about the IRA. The IRA is a pretty big part of British history. Islam isn't.

The IRA and Islamic fundamentalist terrorists are sooooo very different.

The IRA calls in to warn about a bombing before it happens so civilians can escape and infrastructure is the only thing damaged (they aren't perfect at this but they do try). Islamic fundamentalists seek to maximize the number of casualties in a bombing. The IRA fights to reunite northern Ireland with the republic. Islamic fundamentalists fight to take over the world in the name of Islam. The IRA is motivated by 800 years of British oppression. Fundamentalist Muslims are motivated by passages in the Quran that celebrate their religion's supposed superiority over others. The IRA isn't trying to totally wipe out the people of Britain. The fundamentalist Muslims want to convert or kill everyone.
Both organizations are terrorists and don't get me wrong, the provos have done some horrible things such as killing alleged informants and kneecapping. But there's a huge distance between the Irish Republicans and ISIS or Al Qaeda.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:46 am

The Grims wrote:
Minachia wrote:To be fair, Al Mum claims the purpose is to keep attendees focused on prayer and not the hot chick/dude on the other side of the room.

What of the offshoots where the women have to basically wear a sleeping bag over their bodies, how would one even know if she were a hot chick or not, hell, how would one even know it was a female wearing it? Why would they need to be separated at all in this case?

The Grims
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:46 am

Al Mumtahanah wrote:
The Grims wrote:

Muslims are supposed to dress very cleanly for mosque and it is customary to use perfume.

Even more distracting.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:46 am

When I was in school, I had to visit a mosque, a gurdwara, a synagogue, a cathedral, a Buddhist temple and a Sikh temple all in a single day. Religious studies involved the study of all the world's major religions. Even Australian Aboriginal Dreamtime was covered. The subject was more descriptive rather than prescriptive. Rather than tell us what to believe, we were required to formulate our own thoughts on abortion, vegetarianism, torture, the death penalty, the existence of a god etc.

If these kids are learning just about Islam and no other religion, then that would be suspect and parents would have every right to be worried. I know I wouldn't send my kid to Catholic school. Faith schools of any religion should be closed down or converted to secular schools, and religious and political indoctrination of minors should be outlawed.
Last edited by New Bremerton on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:46 am

The Grims wrote:
Trinadaed wrote:If they teach Islam, they must teach other religions too. Unless they also teach other religions, I will say no.

They do - and yes, this means muslims will not be able to opt out of classes about devil worship, paganism or the worldview that Mohammed was a bad man. Fair is fair.

Since when did Muslim need to attend classes to hear that? The whole world keeps telling them that every day.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:47 am

The Grims wrote:

Good. Let's test the waters

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:47 am

Gormwood wrote:
The Grims wrote:

Since when did Muslim need to attend classes to hear that? The whole world keeps telling them that every day.

The whole world is right

Al Mumtahanah
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Al Mumtahanah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:48 am

The Grims wrote:
Al Mumtahanah wrote:Muslims are supposed to dress very cleanly for mosque and it is customary to use perfume.

Even more distracting.

Not really, It's for Allah (Glorified and Exalted is He).
Ifreann wrote:

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:48 am

New Bremerton wrote:When I was in school, I had to visit a mosque, a gurdwara, a synagogue, a cathedral, a Buddhist temple and a Sikh temple all in a single day. Religious studies involved the study of all the world's major religions. Even Australian Aboriginal Dreamtime was covered. The subject was more descriptive rather than prescriptive. Rather than tell us what to believe, we were required to formulate our own thoughts on abortion, vegetarianism, torture, the death penalty, the existence of a god etc.

If these kids are learning just about Islam and no other religion, then that would be suspect and parents would have every right to be worried. I know I wouldn't send my kid to Catholic school. Faith schools of any religion should be closed down or converted to secular schools, and religious and political indoctrination of minors should be outlawed.

This sums up my thoughts perfectly
squid
5.75, -5.33

Imbalistan
Envoy

Founded: May 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imbalistan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:49 am

Teach the history (crusades, starting point, spread, ETC) and not the religion. Even as a muslim, it would be beyond stupid to force our values down young and impressionable minds.
Last edited by Imbalistan on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Quote:
Chan Island wrote:And I'm expecting this thread to devolve into a
racist and/or religious and/or politics shitshow within 3 pages.
I LOVE YOU THE WAY YOU ARE
Bismillah, no, we will not let you go!
#YangGang2020

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General