NATION

PASSWORD

"My Body, My Choice!": Should it Extend to Suicide?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should people have the right to end their own life?

Yes. The motivation is nobody else's business.
18%
Yes, and mental health services and awareness need to be improved to prevent suicide.
38%
Only under certain circumstances/for certain reasons. (Explain?)
7%
Only after some sort of evaluation. (Explain?)
6%
No. Mental health services and awareness needs to be improved to prevent suicide.
19%
No, period.
11%
Other. (Explain?)
2%

Total votes : 394

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
Person A tells me if I don't convert to his religion, he will be sad because he believes his religion is the only truth. I don't convert to his religion, knowing he will be sad. I have intentionally caused pain to another person. Is it immoral?

That isn't close to being as devastating as losing someone to suicide.

How do you feel about Incels?

The feelings of the family members are not sufficient reason to prevent someone exercising bodily autonomy. The person is not responsible for their feelings.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Al Mumtahanah
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Al Mumtahanah » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Uiiop wrote:
Al Mumtahanah wrote:Presuming God is libertarian which He isn't in any religion that I know of.

Maybe not the "True" religion but they exist.
That and it depends on what you mean by libertarian in this case.
In this argument God does judge and punish suicidal people but only gives himself the authority to do so.
To clarify to everyone else if not you; I'm playing devil's advocate here.

That's nice, I reject that as a legal principle as it necessarily presumes Islam is false.
Ifreann wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:How about if I don't wanna learn about Islam I shouldn't have to?

Makes about as much sense as letting kids decide that if they don't wanna eat then they shouldn't have to.

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
Person A tells me if I don't convert to his religion, he will be sad because he believes his religion is the only truth. I don't convert to his religion, knowing he will be sad. I have intentionally caused pain to another person. Is it immoral?

That isn't close to being as devastating as losing someone to suicide.

As someone who’s been on both sides, that’s bullshit.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Alpes a Septentrionali imperium wrote:Know what, since today I don't feel like getting into an argument with somebody on the internet on whether suicide is a right or choice or not. And since we clearly aren't going to come on any common ground for this discussion I'm just going to end it right here. Thank you for making me doubt somethings and I'm just going to head back to Forum 7 or to develop one of my puppet nations. So good day.

My, they are dropping like flies today.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Uiiop wrote:That's sounds like advice given for oneself and not what do with other people.

It's what is right for everyone.

Purgatio wrote:
I'm not denying its painful, I'm saying just because the choice you make over your body is 'painful' for those around you doesn't change the fact that you own and possess your body and yourself, not other people, not your family or your friends.

It's immoral to intentionally cause pain to another person. Suicide isn't different.

Just because you can view an action as wrong doesn't mean you don't want people to be free to do that action.
#NSTransparency

Al Mumtahanah
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Al Mumtahanah » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Also no one who has a heart would say it's wrong to stop someone from sending themselves to hell. That's callousness, not tolerance.
Last edited by Al Mumtahanah on Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ifreann wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:How about if I don't wanna learn about Islam I shouldn't have to?

Makes about as much sense as letting kids decide that if they don't wanna eat then they shouldn't have to.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's immoral to intentionally cause pain to another person. Suicide isn't different.

Forcing someone with extreme depression to not be able to end it is intentionally causing them pain. And yet, you're okay with that.

They should also get help for their depression.

Purgatio wrote:
Geneviev wrote:That isn't close to being as devastating as losing someone to suicide.

Your argument was "it's immoral to intentionally cause pain to another person". I'm pointing out an example where that's clearly not true.

It's also not intentional in that example, and it's not really that painful.

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
Geneviev wrote:That isn't close to being as devastating as losing someone to suicide.

Yet, if you believe in god, wouldn't you be happy for them considering that they have moved on from the shackles of this miserable world and into a better place?

That's what the Bible says, but it's still hard in reality.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:04 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Alpes a Septentrionali imperium wrote:Know what, since today I don't feel like getting into an argument with somebody on the internet on whether suicide is a right or choice or not. And since we clearly aren't going to come on any common ground for this discussion I'm just going to end it right here. Thank you for making me doubt somethings and I'm just going to head back to Forum 7 or to develop one of my puppet nations. So good day.

My, they are dropping like flies today.

At least some know better things to do.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Al Mumtahanah wrote:Also no one who has a heart would say it's wrong to stop someone from sending themselves to hell. That's callousness, not tolerance.

Hell outside man's creation here on earth doesn't exist.

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Forcing someone with extreme depression to not be able to end it is intentionally causing them pain. And yet, you're okay with that.

That doesn't fucking work, often. It's not even possible for many, because a large number of people don't get the luxury of having free healthcare.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Al Mumtahanah wrote:Also no one who has a heart would say it's wrong to stop someone from sending themselves to hell. That's callousness, not tolerance.

If your god sends depressed people to Hell, he is not great, and it’s a severe delusion to believe in him.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Al Mumtahanah wrote:
Uiiop wrote:Maybe not the "True" religion but they exist.
That and it depends on what you mean by libertarian in this case.
In this argument God does judge and punish suicidal people but only gives himself the authority to do so.
To clarify to everyone else if not you; I'm playing devil's advocate here.

That's nice, I reject that as a legal principle as it necessarily presumes Islam is false.

That's fair i'd guess. But it does kinda put the kibosh on the whole "Inherently atheistic" angle.
#NSTransparency

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Geneviev wrote:They should also get help for their depression.

That doesn't fucking work, often. It's not even possible for many, because a large number of people don't get the luxury of having free healthcare.

That should be changed.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Forcing someone with extreme depression to not be able to end it is intentionally causing them pain. And yet, you're okay with that.

Purgatio wrote:
Your argument was "it's immoral to intentionally cause pain to another person". I'm pointing out an example where that's clearly not true.

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
Yet, if you believe in god, wouldn't you be happy for them considering that they have moved on from the shackles of this miserable world and into a better place?

Actually not, to "intend" something (according to the UK House of Lords judgment of R v. Woollin) can include doing X knowing it is virtually certain that Y would result. If I keep driving my car at top speed, knowing it is virtually certain I'm going to run down a person in front of me, I intend to run him down if I keep driving my car at top speed.

Likewise, if I know that not converting to Christianity/Islam/Buddhism will cause pain to some devout adherents of those religions, then I intend to cause them pain. If I know that being gay will cause pain to some homophobic people, then by continuing to be gay, I intend to cause them pain.

Fact is, you are allowed to do what you want with your own body, even if your personal choices make other people unhappy. "Sad feelings" doesn't give you a claim or ownership over another's body and person.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:07 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:That doesn't fucking work, often. It's not even possible for many, because a large number of people don't get the luxury of having free healthcare.

That should be changed.

I agree, but it's not going to be, and in the meantime we can't just keep preventing suicidal people from exercising bodily autonomy.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Purgatio wrote:
Geneviev wrote:They should also get help for their depression.

Actually not, to "intend" something (according to the UK House of Lords judgment of R v. Woollin) can include doing X knowing it is virtually certain that Y would result. If I keep driving my car at top speed, knowing it is virtually certain I'm going to run down a person in front of me, I intend to run him down if I keep driving my car at top speed.

Likewise, if I know that not converting to Christianity/Islam/Buddhism will cause pain to some devout adherents of those religions, then I intend to cause them pain. If I know that being gay will cause pain to some homophobic people, then by continuing to be gay, I intend to cause them pain.

Fact is, you are allowed to do what you want with your own body, even if your personal choices make other people unhappy. "Sad feelings" doesn't give you a claim or ownership over another's body and person.

People shouldn't be encouraged to do things that are certain to harm people. That does include suicide.

N7eternia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby N7eternia » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
You are allowed to harm others in the choices you make over your own body that doesn't invade the bodily sovereignty of others. Some parents will be sad if their kids get piercings or tattoos. This isn't a justification to ban piercings and tattoos.

If parents lose their child to suicide, that is much more painful to them than if that child has a piercing or tattoo. Losing a friend to suicide is also just as painful and it's much worse than what you seem to think.

I lost my friend to suicide. I would have done as much as I could in my power to make him stay, but he made his choice. It did and does affect me, but yet for me, that was his decision and I accept it. Shortly after, in the fresh grief stricken state, and mistakenly being active in social media at the time, I vocalized this. I had people tell me that what he did was wrong and that I was also wrong for thinking the way I do.

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:09 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

People shouldn't be encouraged to do things that are certain to harm people. That does include suicide.

Offense is taken, not given.
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:09 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:That doesn't fucking work, often. It's not even possible for many, because a large number of people don't get the luxury of having free healthcare.

That should be changed.

No, it shouldn't.

SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Al Mumtahanah
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Al Mumtahanah » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:09 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:

If your god sends depressed people to Hell, he is not great, and it’s a severe delusion to believe in him.

He doesn't consider depression justification to kill people.
Ifreann wrote:

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:10 pm

Al Mumtahanah wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:If your god sends depressed people to Hell, he is not great, and it’s a severe delusion to believe in him.

Being Homosexual or a non believer however.....

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:10 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
Geneviev wrote:People shouldn't be encouraged to do things that are certain to harm people. That does include suicide.

Offense is taken, not given.

What do you mean?

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

Except your definition of "harm" is "any time you make a choice over your own body that makes someone else sad" which, if true, means you are prevented from doing so many things over your own body and over your own life. Whatever choice you make over your body, someone out there is going to be sad. If you have gay sex, someone is sad. If you decide to never get married and have children, someone is sad. If you decide to get tattoos or piercings, someone is sad. Whatever you do with your body, you have the potential to make someone out there sad. But "hurt feelings" is not an argument that you can wield to stop someone else from making a personal choice over their life and body.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Al Mumtahanah wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:If your god sends depressed people to Hell, he is not great, and it’s a severe delusion to believe in him.

Yet it seems he does. He’s either not omnipotent or not good if he creates depressed people who will eventually commit suicide. allah is a moral monster. Do better than him.
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:Offense is taken, not given.

What do you mean?

That it's their choice to be harmed, I guess? Sartre's approaching it from a very wrong angle.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General