NATION

PASSWORD

Should the Electoral College be abolished?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the Electoral College be abolished?

Yes
60%
No (please explain)
40%

Total votes : 369

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:32 am

The Archipelago Territory wrote:
Gagium wrote:Saying the electoral college is due to slavery is a revisionist lie.

Actually it does have to do with protecting tyranny from big cities. if you payed attention to the Founding Fathers’ Great Compromise at all

The gregreat Compromise wasn't about urban vs rural, it was about large states vs small states. That is an important distinction, no state at the time was largely urban all states were predominantly rural, however some states were larger and had larger populations than other states. Slave states certainly pushed for the 3/5th compromise, knowing it would benefit them under the constitution, in both the house and the electoral college.

Besides a popular vote would have been impossible at the time, the slaves states wouldn't have stood for it and all of the states had diffrent voting laws which would have made the popular vote near impossible to implement.

The electoral college was never intended to operate as it currently does, the electors were not supposed to be pledged, or required by law, to vote for a specific person. What the electoral college does now is destroy democracy by making sure presidents only campaign for a small number of swing states, and only for a small number of voters in those swing states. And the swing states arent the small states either.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:55 am

Gagium wrote:Saying the electoral college is due to slavery is a revisionist lie.

Actually it does have to do with protecting tyranny from big cities. if you payed attention to the Founding Fathers’ Great Compromise at all

Repeating this lie doesn't make it true.

Ifreann wrote:
Northeast American Federation wrote:Do you think New York City, Los Angeles, and maybe one or two other cities should decide who the president is, regardless of what the entire rest of the country thinks?

Would those cities decide the president if you used a simple popular vote? Let's have a think about that. The population of New York is 8.6 million. The population of LA is just under 4 million. Chicago is 2.7 million. Houston is 2.3 million. Phoenix is 1.6 million. Philadelphia is 1.5 million, San Antonio is 1.5 million, San Diego is 1.4 million, Dallas is 1.3 million, and San Jose is a little over 1 million.

That's the ten most populous cities in the Unites States, and coincidentally the only cities with populations over 1 million. Total population of all ten: ~25.9 million. Couple million off the entire population of Texas.
In 2016, Clinton got 65.8 million votes to Trump's 62.9 million.

I'm not going to keep counting up city populations, and I'm certainly not going to go to all the trouble to work out the number of voters in those cities, but I would guess that to win a popular vote in the US by carrying cities alone would require winning 100% of the vote of at least the top fifty most populous cities in the US. City number 50, for reference? Wichita, Kansas. Allowing for city dwellers not all voting for the same candidate, you'd need to win majorities of, I would guess, well over a hundred cities. City number 100? Des Moines, Iowa.

Not exactly NYC and LA and a few other cities choosing the president regardless of what the rest of the country wants.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:59 am

Arlenton wrote:
Kowani wrote:They also won the popular vote.

They did. But a win without the popular vote is still a win.

I'm VERY late, but I just want to say that FDR, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, and Clinton exist. Since FDR, elections have been 12 Dem wins to 10 Republican wins.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:00 am

I'm okay with the electoral college. If anything what we need are term limits on congressmen. The President does not have absolutely authority. An ineffectual congress is more of a hazard than a stupid president.
Such heroic nonsense!

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:11 am

Pacomia wrote:
Arlenton wrote:They did. But a win without the popular vote is still a win.

I'm VERY late, but I just want to say that FDR, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, and Clinton exist. Since FDR, elections have been 12 Dem wins to 10 Republican wins.

Better 12 to 10 than 14 to 8 amirite?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:11 am

Telconi wrote:
Pacomia wrote:I'm VERY late, but I just want to say that FDR, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, and Clinton exist. Since FDR, elections have been 12 Dem wins to 10 Republican wins.

Better 12 to 10 than 14 to 8 amirite?

Mug
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:17 am

Tekania wrote:I'm okay with the electoral college. If anything what we need are term limits on congressmen. The President does not have absolutely authority. An ineffectual congress is more of a hazard than a stupid president.

Trump said he has unlimited power and Trump never lies.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:27 am

Yes it's stupid.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

GlobalControl
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby GlobalControl » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:02 am

Vassenor wrote:

Ifreann wrote:Would those cities decide the president if you used a simple popular vote? Let's have a think about that. The population of New York is 8.6 million. The population of LA is just under 4 million. Chicago is 2.7 million. Houston is 2.3 million. Phoenix is 1.6 million. Philadelphia is 1.5 million, San Antonio is 1.5 million, San Diego is 1.4 million, Dallas is 1.3 million, and San Jose is a little over 1 million.

That's the ten most populous cities in the Unites States, and coincidentally the only cities with populations over 1 million. Total population of all ten: ~25.9 million. Couple million off the entire population of Texas.
In 2016, Clinton got 65.8 million votes to Trump's 62.9 million.

I'm not going to keep counting up city populations, and I'm certainly not going to go to all the trouble to work out the number of voters in those cities, but I would guess that to win a popular vote in the US by carrying cities alone would require winning 100% of the vote of at least the top fifty most populous cities in the US. City number 50, for reference? Wichita, Kansas. Allowing for city dwellers not all voting for the same candidate, you'd need to win majorities of, I would guess, well over a hundred cities. City number 100? Des Moines, Iowa.

Not exactly NYC and LA and a few other cities choosing the president regardless of what the rest of the country wants.

And arguing with someone else's words doesn't make you right.
The Anderan Confederacy
Historical Archive: The Long War | BlueBox Comms

OOC:
2014-2023 | Veteran of NS, formerly cringe, currently 'tired and apathetic'. | I am, unfortunately, a furry.| If you don't want a cat to scratch your furniture, don't get a cat. | If it weren't obvious NS Stats are not canon.
Discord: voxapollyon

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:17 am

Gagium wrote:the deep state

Members of Congress and the Senate are directly elected. The Prime Minister would be drawn from among the ranks of Parliament Congress, and can be easily toppled through a vote of no confidence, forcing an early election.

the power to appoint their own deep state leader who works for the legislative majority rather than for the country will go well.

Britain's been doing just fine for a whole century now. Boris Johnson would be a "deep state leader" by your logic. After all, only a small handful of Tory party members voted for him to succeed Theresa May as Prime Minister, and only his constituents were able to elect him to be their MP for Uxbridge. Were he to lose his seat, he would cease to be PM even if his party wins the election.

Parliamentary democracy with proportional representation is the best way forward. Israel, Germany, New Zealand and (to a lesser extent) Australia practice this form of democracy, among other countries. Prime ministers tend to wield less personal power than presidents and are much easier to topple. No impeachment necessary. With PR, all parties and interest groups are represented in some way, including rural voters in the so-called "flyover states", and no single party would have an outright majority in Congress. Gerrymandering would be totally negated, and seats would be allocated to parties in accordance with the popular vote.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Epepistan
Civilian

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Epepistan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:24 am

Yes.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:51 am

GlobalControl wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

And your statement doesn't rebut anything.

The electoral college should be dissolved, it disenfranchises a majority of the country to empower a select few in swing states.

A historical argument, i.e. why was the electoral college created, does not work because the electoral college is not working as intended.

An argument that a popular vote will make cities kingmakers ignores how much of the population any city has, not enough to as a group swing a national election.
Fact Book.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:55 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:
GlobalControl wrote:And arguing with someone else's words doesn't make you right.

The electoral college should be dissolved, it disenfranchises a majority of the country to empower a select few in swing states.

A historical argument, i.e. why was the electoral college created, does not work because the electoral college is not working as intended.

An argument that a popular vote will make cities kingmakers ignores how much of the population any city has, not enough to as a group swing a national election.

How does it empower a select few in swing states?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:59 am

GlobalControl wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Says the person repeating someone else's words about big cities dominating the vote.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 pm

So which big cities were they worried about in a country with a total population of ~3 million?
Last edited by Salandriagado on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

GlobalControl
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby GlobalControl » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Vassenor wrote:
GlobalControl wrote:And arguing with someone else's words doesn't make you right.

Says the person repeating someone else's words about big cities dominating the vote.

Got me there.
The Anderan Confederacy
Historical Archive: The Long War | BlueBox Comms

OOC:
2014-2023 | Veteran of NS, formerly cringe, currently 'tired and apathetic'. | I am, unfortunately, a furry.| If you don't want a cat to scratch your furniture, don't get a cat. | If it weren't obvious NS Stats are not canon.
Discord: voxapollyon

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Telconi wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

1) Most states are basically locked in for one party or another, the major places candidates campaign is swing states.
2) Most voters in swing states are reliable partisan voters, only a small number of voters in swing states swing there vote.

So to win the presidency, a major candidate needs to pay enough lip service to there party to lock in the party loyal voters. Then they fight for the swing voters in the swing states. That is who you target, you don't need to really care about anybody else.

Energizing your base does play a part, but you generally arent going to increase your base by enough if you can't win the swing vote in the swing state.
Fact Book.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:24 pm

Salus Maior wrote:Yes. And Congress. And the Senate. And the Presidency.

*writes out an invitation to the Queen*

I’m sorry, the Queen is busy. But you can have Prince Charles, we’ll just go straight to William.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:29 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Telconi wrote:

1) Most states are basically locked in for one party or another, the major places candidates campaign is swing states.
2) Most voters in swing states are reliable partisan voters, only a small number of voters in swing states swing there vote.

So to win the presidency, a major candidate needs to pay enough lip service to there party to lock in the party loyal voters. Then they fight for the swing voters in the swing states. That is who you target, you don't need to really care about anybody else.

Energizing your base does play a part, but you generally arent going to increase your base by enough if you can't win the swing vote in the swing state.

But the electoral college doesn't cause that. States themselves decide to implement winner takes all delegations.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:35 pm

Telconi wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:1) Most states are basically locked in for one party or another, the major places candidates campaign is swing states.

But the electoral college doesn't cause that. States themselves decide to implement winner takes all delegations.

If a state doesn't do winner takes all they dilute there power in the electoral college. Of Texas or California decided to go for proportional distribution of their votes they would loose there party the presidency. If a swing state goes proportional they would no longer be a swing state anyone would campaign in.

The electoral college forces this behavior.

I agree FPTP is terrible, but any state that wants to be listened to has to keep it with the electoral college.
Fact Book.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:39 pm

I would think the popular vote would be a more expedient option. We're in an age of more information, (diluted and faked as some of it may be) and I feel that that has to be reflected in our method of choosing the president.
Last edited by The South Falls on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:40 pm

New Bremerton wrote: Were he to lose his seat, he would cease to be PM even if his party wins the election.

Minor quibble, but not necessarily: there's no requirement to be an MP in order to be Prime Minister: if you can command the confidence of the commons after being invited to try to form a government by the Queen, you're the Prime Minister. There are no formal requirements other than that. In particular, Alec Douglas-Home was Prime Minister, but neither an MP nor a member of the House of Lords, between the 23rd of October 1963 (when he the Earldom of Home, and with it his seat in the House of Lords) and the 12th of November 1963 (when he took his seat as MP for Kinross and West Perthshire, having won a by-election in the intervening time).
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:41 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Telconi wrote:

If a state doesn't do winner takes all they dilute there power in the electoral college. Of Texas or California decided to go for proportional distribution of their votes they would loose there party the presidency. If a swing state goes proportional they would no longer be a swing state anyone would campaign in.

The electoral college forces this behavior.

I agree FPTP is terrible, but any state that wants to be listened to has to keep it with the electoral college.

So basically you want winner-takes all gone and you're tossing the baby with the bathwater.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Ave Gloriana
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ave Gloriana » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:43 pm

No.

I live in Tennessee. We have no desire to be ruled by NY and California.

Abolishing the electoral college would mean civil war.
Office of Foreign Ministry - Imperial Confederation of Ave Gloriana

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:46 pm

Entirely undemocratic and needs to be yeeted asap.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General