NATION

PASSWORD

Likelihood of an second American Civil War

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you think a second americancivil war could happen in the near future

Yes
24%
No
48%
Maybe
25%
I don't know
3%

Total votes : 103

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:57 am

The South Falls wrote:We're still unified enough to avoid civil war. the military will squash every rebel.

It depends on the nature of such a hypothetical war. If there is one radical faction against the government, they have no chance against the US military in a direct confrontation, though I think it would be an asymmetrical insurgency rather than a traditional war.

On the other hand, if inequality of wealth continues to grow along with authoritarianism and corruption, and there is a large uprising composed of a coalition of people rather than one ideological group, there is a decent chance a good deal of the military falls in with the rebels.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Prusenreich
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusenreich » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:59 am

The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:
Prusenreich wrote:Down with the traitors up with the stars

The irony of course, in far-right people who use this slogan, is that far-rightists are diametrically opposed to everything the founding fathers and the first amendment stands for.

Wait the far right took that too first my deus vult now my kaisereich memes they just leave gott mitt uns
Last edited by Prusenreich on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Based off a Custom Euiv nation

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:00 am

Tekania wrote:
The South Falls wrote:We're still unified enough to avoid civil war. the military will squash every rebel.

Which military? In a civil war context there is not a "the military", military bases and assets take sides in civil wars. Some of our existing military officers, service-members and assets will be "the rebels".

Plot twist- Troops/Salors/ Submeriners/ airmen/ Gaurdsmen are people two and will side with there home state/ hometown.
Units would Breck up everyone will go "Tex be safe man!" "Miami try and clean up the place!" Than all go there seperate ways.

Plus the military would uterly collapse in a full on civil war.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:03 am

Prusenreich wrote:
The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:The irony of course, in far-right people who use this slogan, is that far-rightists are diametrically opposed to everything the founding fathers and the first amendment stands for.

Wait the far right took that too first my deus vult now my kaisereich memes they just leave gott mitt uns

I feal you man, They took my battle flag too but I keep her right above my bed for when it's safe to freely fly her high and proud.

Prusenreich
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusenreich » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:08 am

Christian Confederation wrote:
Prusenreich wrote:Wait the far right took that too first my deus vult now my kaisereich memes they just leave gott mitt uns

I feal you man, They took my battle flag too but I keep her right above my bed for when it's safe to freely fly her high and proud.

No that was and still is the flag (I know it is not the actually real flag)of a racist failed rebellion who's purpose was to keep slaves they still use it for the right purpose
Last edited by Prusenreich on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Based off a Custom Euiv nation

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:16 am

Tekania wrote:
Which military? In a civil war context there is not a "the military", military bases and assets take sides in civil wars. Some of our existing military officers, service-members and assets will be "the rebels".

Plot twist- Troops/Salors/ Submeriners/ airmen/ Gaurdsmen are people two and will side with there home state/ hometown.
Units would Breck up everyone will go "Tex be safe man!" "Miami try and clean up the place!" Than all go there seperate ways.

Plus the military would uterly collapse in a full on civil war.

That's not a plot twist to what I said. That is pretty much just the crazy confederate version of what I said. And it's not really people going to their home state or town. It will be a division based upon the interpretation of the spirit of their oaths to the orders they receive. You will have some people siding with "the rebels" from places that generally aren't on the "rebels" side, as well as the inverse of people from areas on the "rebels" side siding not siding with them.

State loyalty is generally far less today than what it even was back during the US Civil War. People were far more likely to go with their states back then than they are these days.
Such heroic nonsense!

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:22 am

Prusenreich wrote:Wait the far right took that too first my deus vult now my kaisereich memes they just leave gott mitt uns

I think you need to take the words of my distant Cousin to heart: "The questions which for years were in dispute between the State and General Government, and which unhappily were not decided by the dictates of reason, but referred to the decision of war, having been decided against us, it is part of the wisdom to acquiesce in the result, and of the candor to recognize the fact."

You would know him as Robert E. Lee
Such heroic nonsense!

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:08 am

Highever wrote:
EastKekistan wrote:I see, so locally a bit South Africa-like, OK.

Actually it looks like most of the deep south states with the exception of florida were about 50-50 or had a white minority.

But yes essentially only half or even less of the entire population in much of the south were even considered people.

So what? Sparta also essentially behaved like that. So did Roman Republic.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars
3. The rest of the Solar System (Solar System is Division 0)
4. 27 other divisions (Division 1-27)
An alliance of racially Northeast Asian countries friendly with White Nationalists, Zionists and nationalists in the Middle East and India.
We are an alliance of rich, safe and clean nations. Rapid scientific development, space exploration, modern cities, skyscrapers and high-speed trains..you will enjoy ultra-modern life if you come and visit us.
We were a Tier 7, Level 0, Type 8 civilization according to this index. Our old map News By 3173 we rule over the universe.

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:09 am

EastKekistan wrote:And you think Atlanta is awesome?

Hell no, ATL is a no go zone,only times I've been there is when I had to see something up there or have to drive through it on the way up to Gatlinburg

Haha. Then I think we agree. Africans are detrimental on average to the South and in fact, America.
Last edited by EastKekistan on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars
An alliance of racially Northeast Asian countries friendly with White Nationalists, Zionists and nationalists in the Middle East and India.
We are an alliance of rich, safe and clean nations. Rapid scientific development, space exploration, modern cities, skyscrapers and high-speed trains..you will enjoy ultra-modern life if you come and visit us.
We were a Tier 7, Level 0, Type 8 civilization according to this index. Our old map News By 3173 we rule over the universe.

Territories of Illinois
Attaché

Founded: Dec 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Territories of Illinois » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:23 am

Tekania wrote:

that is a very good point, kinda like the french revolution and mass defectors of officers and soldiers

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:26 am

In the case of a civil conflict, short of actual war, the military will likely stay in the barracks.

Unless they going to coup out the civilian government. Which I believe is not an impossible scenario if things go really, really bad and partisanships rips apart the country to the brink of civil war.

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:29 am

Nakena wrote:In the case of a civil conflict, short of actual war, the military will likely stay in the barracks.

Unless they going to coup out the civilian government. Which I believe is not an impossible scenario if things go really, really bad and partisanships rips apart the country to the brink of civil war.

Racial conflict can cause that, but not partisanship because hipsters don't like fighting on average. That is, the war will be between far-rightists and far-rightists. It is not surprising that militaries and the police are full of soc conservatives from whites, browns and blacks, making a race war likely.
Last edited by EastKekistan on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:29 am

EastKekistan wrote:
Nakena wrote:In the case of a civil conflict, short of actual war, the military will likely stay in the barracks.

Racial conflict can cause that, but not partisanship because hipsters don't like fighting on average. That is, the war will be between far-rightists and far-rightists.

If things come down to the worst it would quickly reveal who would stand and who would fall.

Extremists would probably do the most if shootouts happen.
Last edited by Nakena on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:31 am

Tekania wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:I feal you man, They took my battle flag too but I keep her right above my bed for when it's safe to freely fly her high and proud.

I think you need to take the words of my distant Cousin to heart: "The questions which for years were in dispute between the State and General Government, and which unhappily were not decided by the dictates of reason, but referred to the decision of war, having been decided against us, it is part of the wisdom to acquiesce in the result, and of the candor to recognize the fact."

You would know him as Robert E. Lee

Lee's spirit may have been broken but God as y witness i will not let it be tarnished by the racists.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:32 am

Tekania wrote:

I would think we have a much better rein on our military now vs in 1860.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:32 am

Nakena wrote:
EastKekistan wrote:
Racial conflict can cause that, but not partisanship because hipsters don't like fighting on average. That is, the war will be between far-rightists and far-rightists.

If things come down to the worst it would quickly reveal who would stand and who would fall.

Extremists would probably do the most if shootouts happen.

WNs will stand because they are at least richer, more numerous and better trained than their brown and black enemies. They also occupy much larger areas (the countryside and suburbs) compared to their urban enemies.
Last edited by EastKekistan on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars

Territories of Illinois
Attaché

Founded: Dec 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Territories of Illinois » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:53 am

The South Falls wrote:
Tekania wrote:

I would think we have a much better rein on our military now vs in 1860.

I think you are right, our military back then was actually relatively small compared to some nations at the time

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:16 am

Territories of Illinois wrote:
The South Falls wrote:I would think we have a much better rein on our military now vs in 1860.

I think you are right, our military back then was actually relatively small compared to some nations at the time

Of course, European monarchies required large military arms to preserve their colonial possessions from the plethora of rebels and insurgencies that arose.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Carenzia
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Carenzia » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:35 am

Technically, I would say that if a civil war were to ever break out while Trump is in power, the main factor is that Trump is making horrible decisions. I am not into politics, but I can tell Trump was never meant for the presidency, in fact, he should have never run for office in the first place. Not saying Hillary should have been president either. I feel like our chances of a civil war will lower once Trump is out of office, mainly because of his mistreatment of others. His cabinet, everyone important in the main government, is making this country weaken. As soon as Trump is out, this is a neutral standpoint, by the way, the rate will indefinitely drop.
The Proportional Republic of Carenzia
Carenzia rose from the ashes of a once-communist republic to a stable country. With a large economy, and developing civil and political freedoms, Carenzian leaders hope to be an influence within the region and world of NationStates.
My nation;
Carenzia
The region I am part of:
Astrolin
The Proportional Republic of Carenzia
Founder, WA Delegate, and Director Emeritus of Astrolin

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:57 am

Carenzia wrote:Technically, I would say that if a civil war were to ever break out while Trump is in power, the main factor is that Trump is making horrible decisions. I am not into politics, but I can tell Trump was never meant for the presidency, in fact, he should have never run for office in the first place. Not saying Hillary should have been president either. I feel like our chances of a civil war will lower once Trump is out of office, mainly because of his mistreatment of others. His cabinet, everyone important in the main government, is making this country weaken. As soon as Trump is out, this is a neutral standpoint, by the way, the rate will indefinitely drop.

So 2020 at the earliest, 2024 at the latest.
Than Mike Pence for 4-8 years. So anywhere from 4-16 years of Republican rule.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:26 pm

It was always far-right, lmao. It was literally invented to fly in battle for the military of a far-right, secessionist nation for the purpose of defending their ability to enslave people of other races.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:29 pm

If it happens, hello Canada!
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:33 pm

Low intensity violence over resources as the country gets hotter. Fights over power resources where people use both covert and overt means to gain control. Things like the "texas blackout special" where Texas tries to get the oil and power before Southern California gets it. Also more underhanded behavior by city governments versus state governments, corporations versus municipalities, and corporations versus corporations. Resource diversion, theft, government corruption on both sides of the aisle aimed at getting the military bases and resources. Nothing overt, but still problematic.

Mike Pence is basically a Jesuit. He is even further away from the center than Trump. His values would be too alien to get into office. His views remind me of Opus Dei.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:39 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:I feal you man, They took my battle flag too but I keep her right above my bed for when it's safe to freely fly her high and proud.

It was always far-right, lmao. It was literally invented to fly in battle for the military of a far-right, secessionist nation for the purpose of defending their ability to enslave people of other races.

Actually that particular flag was used to identify CSA naval ships. It's the Confederate Naval Jack

The Confederate battle flag was mostly white with a similar design right about where our field of blue/stars are on the US flag. Which actually caused complaints because it was confusing.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:18 pm

EastKekistan wrote:
Highever wrote:Actually it looks like most of the deep south states with the exception of florida were about 50-50 or had a white minority.

But yes essentially only half or even less of the entire population in much of the south were even considered people.

So what? Sparta also essentially behaved like that. So did Roman Republic.

When you have to reference things that existed thousands of years ago to defend something that was a thing not even two centuries ago it isn't a great thing. It is 2019 AD, not 219 BC. People do not tend to look kindly on a state that doesn't recognize half of the people living is it as even being people.
Last edited by Highever on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General