NATION

PASSWORD

Secular Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:40 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Castelia wrote:Budding atheist here.

I say "budding" because I'm not fully atheist, yet. "What do you mean by this?", you ask? Well, I mean that I've long since understood and accepted the fact that God doesn't exist. However, due to my strict Roman Catholic upbringing, I'm still having trouble leaving behind the Roman Catholic worldview. I still sometimes think and respond to topics as a Catholic would. My personal beliefs on morality is still very much Catholic-based.

I'm trying my best to leave religion entirely, of course, but when you've been raised and currently live in what is one of the biggest Catholic countries in the world, it's kinda hard to do so. Not to mention I haven't "come out" as an atheist to anyone else yet, except here in NationStates.

Just a quick thing, but being an atheist means one thing, that you do not believe in a god. Everything else is not really part of atheism, so the fact that you do not believe make you an atheist. You can easily still be culturally Christian without accepting the existence of a god. Actually a good part of the Jewish community are what are called cultural Jews. That is they observe the holidays and traditions, but do not believe in a god.

By this definition nearly everybody I know in real life is a cultural Christian, including myself. Holidays like Easter and Christmas continue to be celebrated even if no one actually believes in God or has prayed even once in their lifes.

Come think of it, that reveals an interesting truth: while most "Western" societies have secularized over the years (in the sense that the share of people considering themselves atheist has grown noticeably, to the point that it accounts for a fifth or more in several EU countries), cultural tendencies have stood the test of time way better than the belief in God, even if some/most of these have religious roots.
Exclusively OOC nation | Prominent stat player as Aryax | Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Commentary about WA resolutions is posted on a personal capacity, and does not represent the opinion of 10000 Islands.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:47 am

Vivolkha wrote:By this definition nearly everybody I know in real life is a cultural Christian, including myself. Holidays like Easter and Christmas continue to be celebrated even if no one actually believes in God or has prayed even once in their lifes.

Depends. I do not celebrate easter at all.

Xmas is more a cultural pressure and its one of the most stressiest time of the year for me, because everyone is every moment on the venge of a total emotional or other kind of breakdown. Also I feel it is generally more dedicated to Santa Claus, Family(drama) and consumerism than anything else.
Last edited by Nakena on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:51 am

Highever wrote:
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:people in the state and flag representing the people

Which again, are all clergy or employees of the church. So technically the flag is spot on in representing the Vatican empolyees "people".
I understand I say from my own perspective secularism in my culture it means the separation of religion and state affairs so you can be religious and be secular clergy is just a profession
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:56 am

Nakena wrote:
Vivolkha wrote:By this definition nearly everybody I know in real life is a cultural Christian, including myself. Holidays like Easter and Christmas continue to be celebrated even if no one actually believes in God or has prayed even once in their lifes.

Depends. I do not celebrate easter at all.

Xmas is more a cultural pressure and its one of the most stressiest time of the year for me, because everyone is every moment on the venge of a total emotional or other kind of breakdown. Also I feel it is generally more dedicated to Santa Claus, Family(drama) and consumerism than anything else.

I'm speaking from my point of view and that of my environment. Easter is very loosely celebrated, typically being just a family lunch with traditional cake ("mona" we call it here, as far as I'm concerned the origin of this is not clear), aside from Holy Week being a school holiday (else only Easter Day is a public holiday, if I remember correctly). As for Christmas, agree, often is more for Santa/family/consumerism.
Exclusively OOC nation | Prominent stat player as Aryax | Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Commentary about WA resolutions is posted on a personal capacity, and does not represent the opinion of 10000 Islands.

Previous

Return to General