NATION

PASSWORD

ICE detains US citizen for a month

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should we do about ICE?

Abolish ICE
39%
Make some changes (mend it, don't end it)
36%
ICE is fine as is
9%
We should give ICE even more powers
16%

Total votes : 171

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:09 am

Novus America wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. No it's not. In US prisons at least, the people who go there did commit actual crimes and are serving a state mandated sentence. The people in ICE's concentration camps have mostly done nothing illegal nor do they have a set period before they're released. They did everything they were legally supposed to do and are getting punished for it by getting sent to concentration camps where they will remain indefinitely.
2. Uh, no, that'd be a ghetto.
3. This is a really bad example to pick, mainly becaue of the time period. Or do you not remember that the US had concentration camps in the 1940's for Japanese Americans and immigrants?

1. Actually pre trial detention is a thing. 2. Also all those being held in by ICE are suspected of being in the US illegally. The burden is on the asylum seeker to prove their asylum claim, not the other way around.
And again the average time is 34 days.
3. That type of ghetto is a type of concentration camp really.
4. And yes the Japanese interment camps were actual concentration camps.

1. Yeah, that's obviously true, or we wouldn't have those camps to begin with.
2. Yeah, they got picked up after requesting asylum and being allowed to enter the country legally, that obviously means they're here illegally. :roll:
3. No it's not, it's a ghetto. That's why we have the word: Ghetto.
4. As are the ones the US government is currently running, except they have worse conditions.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Militant Costco
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Militant Costco » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:09 am

Chernoslavia wrote:
Militant Costco wrote:-It's run by the government (or at the very minimum, approved and supported).
-The government (in this case, the United States) deems the people inside these camps (illegal immigrants or whatever you call them) undesirable, and, if you consider Trump's word as official statements, "dangerous" (remember, these illegal immigrants are "gang members" and Mexico is sending rapists *nods*).
-Mexico is still in the Mexican Drug War, a war that has been going on for 12 years now and has killed more people than both Iraq and Afghanistan. Not to mention, the current administration considers the border to be "in crisis" and thus, has sent U.S. troops to patrol it.

I don't know about you, but your definition lines up, word for word.

Clearly you didn't properly read what I've said then.

- Yeah it's run by the government, that doesn't necessarily mean they're concentration camp.
- No...? They're put there because they aren't supposed to fucking be here.
- Your point?

-Don't list it as a point then (even though you are absolutely correct, concentration camps have to actually be sanctioned by the state).
-That's what the Germans said about the Jews. And technically under German law, it was legal. Just saying.
You say what's the same, I literally point out what is the same, as a rebuttal against your claim that these centers are not like "actual concentration camps".

Your point?
Costco Wholesale
NSG Puppet

Nothing says democracy like 2 packs of 48 rolls of toilet paper!

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:12 am

Militant Costco wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Clearly you didn't properly read what I've said then.

- Yeah it's run by the government, that doesn't necessarily mean they're concentration camp.
- No...? They're put there because they aren't supposed to fucking be here.
- Your point?

-Don't list it as a point then (even though you are absolutely correct, concentration camps have to actually be sanctioned by the state).
-That's what the Germans said about the Jews. And technically under German law, it was legal. Just saying.
You say what's the same, I literally point out what is the same, as a rebuttal against your claim that these centers are not like "actual concentration camps".

Your point?

True that concentration camps were always state run but something being run by the state doesn't make em concentration camps. Would you consider prisons concentration camps?

My point is these are not concentration camps.
Last edited by Chernoslavia on Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:16 am

They should pay compensation cash for every day he spend in detention.

If they wont he should get some good lawyers and sue them into oblivion.
Last edited by Nakena on Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:20 am

New haven america wrote:
Novus America wrote:
1. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palesti ... ugee_camps

2. Not all enter at a legal point of entry. 3. And no, the average time is 30 days.
https://www.justice.gov/archives/dag/fi ... 1/download
Not 6 plus months. Most have NOT stayed 6+ months.
And even if you enter at a legal port of entry they can still hold you for preliminary review of your claim.

4. Again the issue of orders is complicated. You cannot always follow all orders, but you cannot disobey all orders either. There is nuance.
5. And none of that other stuff is going to happen. There have been 12 deaths this year, which while tragic is quite far removed from what you are talking about.

6. And finally we have to strike a balance. We need to enforce border security and make sure asylum seekers are properly vetted. But we need to do so while keeping conditions tolerable and processing claims without excessive delay. We are NOT currently doing so, absolutely.
But we should.

1. Yeah, there's a difference between those refugee camps and the US' concentration camps. The people in those refugee camps are actually allowed to leave and they were set up to support them, the US' camps were set up to keep them away from the public and they're not allowed out by their own free will.
2. But the vast majority have, and got punished for it. :roll:
3. So explain that to the people who have been in those camps for up to 2 years and see how they feel about that.
4. So should that person follow their CO's orders or not? And if they do follow them, do you think they're in the wrong? (Even though they're technically not)
5. Aw, faith in the US government to not be terrible. I wonder what that feels like?
6. Or humanity as a collective whole could actually grow a brain, learn to work together and stop fearing/hating each other, thus causing us to not need to stupid imaginary lines we call boarders. Oh wait, here I am thinking about this with logic, my bad.

Actually no, people in those UN camps are often restricted from leaving and they exist because the countries they are in refuse to give them any citizenship or permanent residence.
The exist for the purpose of isolating Palestinian Arabs from other Arabs.

It is impossible to remain a unwilling registered refugee in the US more than 50 years.
AFTER they are found to be legitimate refugees they live in normal homes. Not refugee camps.

Even if you crossed at a legal point, you still can be held for your preliminary hearing. You still have the burden to prove your claim valid.

Exceptions are not the rule. You said most spend 6+ months, you were objectively incorrect.
The average time is 34 days. That is a fact.

In the case of ordering someone shot illegally, not they should not follow that order. But again things are not always that simple.

The US government does do bad things sometimes, but that does not mean it is going to suddenly launch a full scale genocide for the lols.

Oh and now the open borders spiel. We already did that one too.
What is the point when people just repeat the same arguments without listening?
Open borders is not in fact logical.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Militant Costco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Militant Costco » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:27 am

Chernoslavia wrote:
Militant Costco wrote:

Your point?

True that concentration camps were always state run but something being run by the state doesn't make em concentration camps. Would you consider prisons concentration camps?

My point is these are not concentration camps.

Again, a concentration camp IS a prison. By its literal definition, a prison is just where people are forcibly detained under state rule.

So no, a prison is not a concentration camp in the same way a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square.

As far what is the difference, I'll just paste what came up on Google

" "it is a place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labor or to await mass execution."
Costco Wholesale
NSG Puppet

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:31 am

New haven america wrote:
Novus America wrote:
1. Actually pre trial detention is a thing. 2. Also all those being held in by ICE are suspected of being in the US illegally. The burden is on the asylum seeker to prove their asylum claim, not the other way around.
And again the average time is 34 days.
3. That type of ghetto is a type of concentration camp really.
4. And yes the Japanese interment camps were actual concentration camps.

1. Yeah, that's obviously true, or we wouldn't have those camps to begin with.
2. Yeah, they got picked up after requesting asylum and being allowed to enter the country legally, that obviously means they're here illegally. :roll:
4. As are the ones the US government is currently running, except they have worse conditions.

Not all crossed legally but it does not really change things. Under refugee law the burden of proof is on the asylum seeker to prove their case is legitimate.
And even if someone claims asylum at a port of entry it does not mean they get full refugee status instantly. You need to at least give them a basic health and background check before letting them run free, otherwise anyone could cross into US no questions asked.

Ghetto has multiple meanings, but an urban concentration camp is a type of ghetto.

The current immigration detainment is very different. We are not rounding up all members of one ethnic group from a certain area. It is detaining people suspected of being in the US illegally and those awaiting the preliminary processing of their asylum claims.

Very different.

Yes conditions are bad, and absolutely must improve. We need proper facilities designed with family accommodation, not a network of our sourced private prisons and ad hoc facilities.
The problem is how they are being detained more than why.

Also obviously we need a way to quickly verify who is a citizen or legal resident. Citizens should not be held obviously, unless suspected of obtaining their citizenship fraudulently.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:36 am

Militant Costco wrote:
Novus America wrote:
That is a bad definition. Under that definition literally an prison or detention facility can be considered a concentration camp.
How would making conditions in a concentration camp make a concentration camp not a concentration camp?
And how is a prison with inadequate facilities automatically a concentration camp?

A concentration camp is a prison. A prison is anywhere where people are forced to be as directed by the state.

The difference is a concentration camp is not exclusively for use of the criminal justice system.

But you have failed to even provide a difference at all.
You gave a definition so vague and over broad it can apply to any prison.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:37 am

Nakena wrote:They should pay compensation cash for every day he spend in detention.

If they wont he should get some good lawyers and sue them into oblivion.

Certainly they should give this person a large settlement payment. I am almost certain they will and if not he should sue. Obviously this was wrong.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:39 am

Novus America wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. Yeah, that's obviously true, or we wouldn't have those camps to begin with.

Not all crossed legally but it does not really change things. Under refugee law the burden of proof is on the asylum seeker to prove their case is legitimate.
And even if someone claims asylum at a port of entry it does not mean they get full refugee status instantly. You need to at least give them a basic health and background check before letting them run free, otherwise anyone could cross into US no questions asked.

Ghetto has multiple meanings, but an Iranian concentration camp is a type of ghetto.

The current immigration detainment is very different. We are not rounding up all members of one ethnic group from a certain area. It is detaining people suspected of being in the US illegally and those awaiting the preliminary processing of their asylum claims.

Very different.

Yes conditions are bad, and absolutely must improve. We need proper facilities designed with family accommodation, not a network of our sourced private prisons and ad hoc facilities.

Also obviously we need a way to quickly verify who is a citizen or legal resident. Citizens should not be held obviously, unless suspected of obtaining their citizenship fraudulently.

Concentration camps aren't about rounding people up for their ethnicity. I'm not gonna repeat the definition again because I'm not about to be an absolute tool but that's not what it takes for something to be considered a concentration camp. A soviet Gulag where anyone Stalin doesn't like is sent is a concentration camp..It's about the conditions people are held in and the amount of people, not why they're there.if the president tomorrow decided to just randomly arrest 10000 Americans for no reason and put them in a place where disease is rampant, there's no food, the lights don't work and there's overcrowding, it would be a concentration camp. I know it's ingrained in everyone's mind that concentration camp=nazis rounding Jews up, but that's not the only kind of concentration camp. There are others, and I'm not saying that the migrants are being treated as bad as the Jews were by the nazis. None of the places are auschwitz if that makes you happy to hear.

Why are we even debating what to call it? A rose is a ride by any other name. The detention centers suck, people die there. Does it even matter what you call them? It doesn't make the conditions any better
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:41 am

ICE definitely needs reforms but abolishing it is silly since practically another agency would takeover or be rebranded/renamed.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Militant Costco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Militant Costco » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:42 am

Novus America wrote:
Militant Costco wrote:A concentration camp is a prison. A prison is anywhere where people are forced to be as directed by the state.

The difference is a concentration camp is not exclusively for use of the criminal justice system.

Maybe because a concentration camp is a prison. The difference i, a concentration camp is "a place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labor or to await mass execution."

If you think its vague and applies to almost every prison, maybe that says something about the conditions of some prisons.

Honestly, I think the debate should be rather on if its "internment" or "incarceration", because arguing if its a prison or not is like arguing if a townhome is a home.
Costco Wholesale
NSG Puppet

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:43 am

Zurkerx wrote:ICE definitely needs reforms but abolishing it is silly since practically another agency would takeover or be rebranded/renamed.

As someone previously said, as a terrorist group...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:43 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Ghetto has multiple meanings, but an Iranian concentration camp is a type of ghetto.

Very different.

Concentration camps aren't about rounding people up for their ethnicity. I'm not gonna repeat the definition again because I'm not about to be an absolute tool but that's not what it takes for something to be considered a concentration camp. A soviet Gulag where anyone Stalin doesn't like is sent is a concentration camp..It's about the conditions people are held in and the amount of people, not why they're there.if the president tomorrow decided to just randomly arrest 10000 Americans for no reason and put them in a place where disease is rampant, there's no food, the lights don't work and there's overcrowding, it would be a concentration camp. I know it's ingrained in everyone's mind that concentration camp=nazis rounding Jews up, but that's not the only kind of concentration camp. There are others, and I'm not saying that the migrants are being treated as bad as the Jews were by the nazis. None of the places are auschwitz if that makes you happy to hear.

Why are we even debating what to call it? A rose is a ride by any other name. The detention centers suck, people die there. Does it even matter what you call them? It doesn't make the conditions any better

But these people are not there for no reason.
Yes the wording is not the most important thing, but I still think your wording is off the mark.
Because according to it you can place people in a camp solely because of race, but have it not be a concentration camp just because you make it nicer.

Yes the current detention conditions do absolutely suck, and obviously need to be fixed.
We need a proper network of purpose built immigration centers with decent conditions and family housing. Not the current ad hoc mess.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:44 am

Militant Costco wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Maybe because a concentration camp is a prison. The difference i, a concentration camp is "a place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labor or to await mass execution."

If you think its vague and applies to almost every prison, maybe that says something about the conditions of some prisons.

Honestly, I think the debate should be rather on if its "internment" or "incarceration", because arguing if its a prison or not is like arguing if a townhome is a home.

I swear to god they're gonna probably lock this thread for threadjacking or going off topic or whatever. Can we all please discuss what we can do to fix this situation at the border and ICE's abuse of power?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Militant Costco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Militant Costco » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:46 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Militant Costco wrote:Maybe because a concentration camp is a prison. The difference i, a concentration camp is "a place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labor or to await mass execution."

I swear to god they're gonna probably lock this thread for threadjacking or going off topic or whatever. Can we all please discuss what we can do to fix this situation at the border and ICE's abuse of power?

This is nowhere near threadjacking, whatever other NS'ers views are on these facilities, its still an actual debate about ICE and its role in detaining Americans and non-Americans.

But yeah, sure. We're basically circling around a dictionary here.
Costco Wholesale
NSG Puppet

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:48 am

Militant Costco wrote:
Novus America wrote:

But your definition just says a large number of people are deliberately imprisoned. It says especially if it is for political prisoners or persecuted minorities, but does not make that a requirement. That is the problem. That part is what matters.

Yes a townhouse is a home, but we have a clear definition of what makes it different from other homes.

But yes, this argument is not actually helpful.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:49 am

Militant Costco wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

This is nowhere near threadjacking, whatever other NS'ers views are on these facilities, its still an actual debate about ICE and its role in detaining Americans and non-Americans.

Even if it isnt, I guarantee you that what will happen is this.

People who don't think the centers are concentration camps will say they arent. People who say they are will continue saying they are. For three days it'll be back and forth arguments and neither side will change their opinion and then eventually people will lose interest in the thread as they always do with all threads and it'll only end then. I'm all for debates but when it just turns into repetitive back and forth bickering, that's when i draw the line
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:50 am

Militant Costco wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

That is true. It is not at all helpful.
We should probably discuss how to improve actual conditions vs semantics.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:53 am

Who here thinks ICE should have a civilian oversight committee like many police departments? Let's start there

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:57 am

Rojava Free State wrote:Who here thinks ICE should have a civilian oversight committee like many police departments? Let's start there

Not a bad idea, at least for the ERO side. Some sort of outside nonpartisan review commission would be a good idea.

We especially need an actual government run (with civilian outside non partisan oversight) purpose built immigration detention system, with decent conditions, available family housing, and special facilities for those with special needs.

Not simply bring out private and county prisons to hold people, as such facilities are completely ill suited for the task.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:00 am

Rojava Free State wrote:Who here thinks ICE should have a civilian oversight committee like many police departments? Let's start there

ICE are civilians.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:02 am

Ifreann wrote:

ICE are civilians.

In this context civilians means someone who is not a sworn police officer.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Militant Costco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Militant Costco » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:07 am

This would add a lot of bureaucracy in a system known to be already at max capacity of its current bureaucracy.

Good time to remind people, that most illegal immigrants probably cross illegally cause of the long wait times of the entire immigration system, in no small part due to its bureaucracy. Adding more seems to just be insult to injury.
Costco Wholesale
NSG Puppet

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:07 am

Novus America wrote:
Ifreann wrote:ICE are civilians.

In this context civilians means someone who is not a sworn police officer.

Police officers are civilians, but the people running ICE are also not police officers.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General