NATION

PASSWORD

Biphobia in the LGBT community

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Page
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10214
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:57 pm

I hate to generalize, but in my experience 99% of biphobia comes from gay men and hetero women and is most often directed at bisexual men than women. Being bi myself I get really annoyed about it, how stupid people are with not understanding bisexuality.
I am a libertarian socialist.
I am ungovernable.
I owe no allegiance to any state.
I am bound to my conscience, not to the law.
I stand for liberty, justice, and peace.

User avatar
The South Falls
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12452
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The South Falls » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:59 pm

I wouldn't think that the majority of LGBT people are biphobic. There are very, very few, just like TERF or SWERF folks
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.


Political Compass Results:

Economic: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

User avatar
Scomagia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18703
Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Kannap wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I'd prefer people didn't go out of their way to make themselves special communities that really only have something innate as their common thread. I'd feel the same way about doing the same with race or height or eye color.

You can do as you please. I'm sure lots of bi people like the acronym and the division. I don't.


Eh, its been going on for probably as long as humanity has existed, separating themselves into different cliques and communities.

Particularly, especially when it comes to minorities that had been oppressed and discriminated against on a society-wide basis for long times, I don't see the issue with having spaces and communities just for people of a certain group that exclude people that don't belong to that group.

Do it if it pleases you. I find it trite and counterproductive. If you like to identify as part of "such and such community", then you do you.

From my perspective, not being heterosexual is not a reasonable grounds for considering something a "community". Or, at least, it's not one I care to be associated with. Just like I don't consider myself as being in the "white" community, whatever the fuck that'd be, or in the "sexy" community. I may be those things but that's insufficient for me to be bonded with others in a "community".
[Insert bizarre political diatribe here]
MandatoryVirtueSignaling

User avatar
Eastern Denmark
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1189
Founded: Jul 23, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Eastern Denmark » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:02 pm

Springfeal wrote:So what do you think about this bigotry that exists in the LGBT community and what can be done to solve it? Here is my answer. I think that LGBT organizations should distribute more information on bisexuality (at least as much as they do on homosexuality), and bisexuals should do more to become a more prominent force in the LGBT rights movement. If those two things are done then biphobia rates will quickly go down in both the LGBT community and the straight community.


also I don't want to piggy back on the topic and distract from the fair point, but there is also a lot (if not more) hate and exclusion directed towards Transgender, Pansexuality, asexuality, and the other more minor sexualities than there is directed towards bisexuality. Ive seen only a couple members of the community show hate towards bi, but have much more often seen hate and exclusion towards asexuality and transgender, and a desire to remove them from the acronym/community because "isn't real" or is different and doesnt experience the hate and need for community like LGB does (which is very untrue)
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be. -Miguel De Cervantes

User avatar
Page
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10214
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 pm

The South Falls wrote:I wouldn't think that the majority of LGBT people are biphobic. There are very, very few, just like TERF or SWERF folks


TERFs are just terrible in every way. They spew shit like "bi women are repressed lesbians and bi men only fuck men because they're misogynists".
I am a libertarian socialist.
I am ungovernable.
I owe no allegiance to any state.
I am bound to my conscience, not to the law.
I stand for liberty, justice, and peace.

User avatar
Eternal Lotharia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9917
Founded: Dec 27, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eternal Lotharia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Kannap wrote:
Eh, its been going on for probably as long as humanity has existed, separating themselves into different cliques and communities.

Particularly, especially when it comes to minorities that had been oppressed and discriminated against on a society-wide basis for long times, I don't see the issue with having spaces and communities just for people of a certain group that exclude people that don't belong to that group.

Do it if it pleases you. I find it trite and counterproductive. If you like to identify as part of "such and such community", then you do you.

From my perspective, not being heterosexual is not a reasonable grounds for considering something a "community". Or, at least, it's not one I care to be associated with. Just like I don't consider myself as being in the "white" community, whatever the fuck that'd be, or in the "sexy" community. I may be those things but that's insufficient for me to be bonded with others in a "community".

No NS'er can be sexy. :p

We're all aliens with ugly huge soulless eyes.
On Hiatus from September 6th 2019 to September 13th 2019.
Left-Wing Christian Pro-Life Pragmatic Populist. Oregonian.
Candidate for City Council of a large city.
A little too obsessed with food.
Farnhamia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:You scare me sometimes, Loth.

"Local Candidate Admits To Enjoying Human Flesh; Police Seeking Missing Family Members"

User avatar
The South Falls
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12452
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The South Falls » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Page wrote:
The South Falls wrote:I wouldn't think that the majority of LGBT people are biphobic. There are very, very few, just like TERF or SWERF folks


TERFs are just terrible in every way. They spew shit like "bi women are repressed lesbians and bi men only fuck men because they're misogynists".

Men having sexual attraction

TERFs: Is that a personal attack or something?
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.


Political Compass Results:

Economic: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

User avatar
Qerdisme
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Jul 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Qerdisme » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:04 pm

In my experience, biphobia is fairly rare among the LGBT community. The instances I've seen that aren't extremist posts generally stem from fear of dating bi people, a fear I harbor myself. The idea of being cheated on with someone of the opposite sex is, as a gay person, terrifying. That's the only real "biphobia" I see that isn't extreme or irrational.

User avatar
Scomagia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18703
Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Eastern Denmark wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I'm not a part of any stupid community based only on innate qualities. I'm in the human community. End of


innate qualities and the common goal to expand LGBTQA+ rights? to provide support for eachother because we can count on not finding secret homophobes, or transphobes, or whatever who seek to hurt or put us in conversion camps or whatever. a group that builds networks to advocate for political change for the enbetterment of human rights and safety. and a term to use for individuals who dont yet feel safe declaring their exact sexuality/gender orientation or dont even know yet...

The desire to end criminalization and abuse of all groups of humans who do not cause harm puts me, at most, in the Humanist group. But even humanism has angles that keep me from considering myself as being in a "humanist community".
[Insert bizarre political diatribe here]
MandatoryVirtueSignaling

User avatar
Scomagia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18703
Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:07 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Do it if it pleases you. I find it trite and counterproductive. If you like to identify as part of "such and such community", then you do you.

From my perspective, not being heterosexual is not a reasonable grounds for considering something a "community". Or, at least, it's not one I care to be associated with. Just like I don't consider myself as being in the "white" community, whatever the fuck that'd be, or in the "sexy" community. I may be those things but that's insufficient for me to be bonded with others in a "community".

No NS'er can be sexy. :p

We're all aliens with ugly huge soulless eyes.

Speak for yourself. My sexy ass has caused car accidents from all the gawking. :p
[Insert bizarre political diatribe here]
MandatoryVirtueSignaling

User avatar
Eternal Lotharia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9917
Founded: Dec 27, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eternal Lotharia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:No NS'er can be sexy. :p

We're all aliens with ugly huge soulless eyes.

Speak for yourself. My sexy ass has caused car accidents from all the gawking. :p

That's not sexy that's criminal. :p
On Hiatus from September 6th 2019 to September 13th 2019.
Left-Wing Christian Pro-Life Pragmatic Populist. Oregonian.
Candidate for City Council of a large city.
A little too obsessed with food.
Farnhamia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:You scare me sometimes, Loth.

"Local Candidate Admits To Enjoying Human Flesh; Police Seeking Missing Family Members"

User avatar
The South Falls
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12452
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The South Falls » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:10 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:No NS'er can be sexy. :p

We're all aliens with ugly huge soulless eyes.

Speak for yourself. My sexy ass has caused car accidents from all the gawking. :p

My thighs clap together and start an earthquake. I have the abs of a mannequin. I bench and deadlift the sun. You want height? I'm 16'10"
Last edited by The South Falls on Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.


Political Compass Results:

Economic: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10986
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Oh yeah, it's an issue. It's not as big of a problem as racism and transphobia, but it's a problem. You've got people on one hand saying that bisexuality is transphobic and people on the other saying bisexuals aren't oppressed.
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Scomagia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18703
Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:12 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Speak for yourself. My sexy ass has caused car accidents from all the gawking. :p

My thighs clap together and start an earthquake. I have the abs of a mannequin. I bench and deadlift the sun. You want height? I'm 16'10"

Looks like you get it.
[Insert bizarre political diatribe here]
MandatoryVirtueSignaling

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10986
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Qerdisme wrote:In my experience, biphobia is fairly rare among the LGBT community. The instances I've seen that aren't extremist posts generally stem from fear of dating bi people, a fear I harbor myself. The idea of being cheated on with someone of the opposite sex is, as a gay person, terrifying. That's the only real "biphobia" I see that isn't extreme or irrational.

But bi people aren't more likely to cheat..? Or do you just mean that it would bother you more if they cheated on you with someone of another gender than someone of the same gender?
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Scomagia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18703
Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Speak for yourself. My sexy ass has caused car accidents from all the gawking. :p

That's not sexy that's criminal. :p

Hey, there's no law against being so sexy that people around lose their senses.
[Insert bizarre political diatribe here]
MandatoryVirtueSignaling

User avatar
Aboveland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1112
Founded: Dec 04, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aboveland » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Songha wrote:
Springfeal wrote:As a rebuttal to the latter answer, I stated that it is impossible for bisexuality to be a phase since people cannot change their sexual orientation since sexual orientation is the result of genetic and biological factors. I say that while a few people might think they are bisexual when they are really curious, most bisexuals are genuinely bisexual. That shuts up some of biphobes, but shockingly, others stated that they believed that sexual orientation is a choice. This is coming from homosexuals who are active in the LGBT rights movement. The same movement which works to spread the truth that sexual orientation isn't a choice.


I get your point but sexuality DOES change. You're correct in that you can't really choose to change it, but it does change - Mine did and many people's do over the course of their lives.

I firmly believe what changes is our perception of our own sexuality rather than our sexuality itself. As time goes on we explore and experiment with different feelings, and we might discover that what we like has changed, or that we like something more than what we had originally thought. Its more about sexuality being a deeply complex matter that's constantly being rediscovered than something that changes.
PROTECTORATES: New Emberton, Nykipiflugpuu


Home to WGPC14 champion and WGPC15, 16 second runner-up Terho Talvela

User avatar
Eternal Lotharia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9917
Founded: Dec 27, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eternal Lotharia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:That's not sexy that's criminal. :p

Hey, there's no law against being so sexy that people around lose their senses.

As much as I love this, let's stop the threadjack.
On Hiatus from September 6th 2019 to September 13th 2019.
Left-Wing Christian Pro-Life Pragmatic Populist. Oregonian.
Candidate for City Council of a large city.
A little too obsessed with food.
Farnhamia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:You scare me sometimes, Loth.

"Local Candidate Admits To Enjoying Human Flesh; Police Seeking Missing Family Members"

User avatar
The South Falls
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12452
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The South Falls » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:14 pm

Scomagia wrote:
The South Falls wrote:My thighs clap together and start an earthquake. I have the abs of a mannequin. I bench and deadlift the sun. You want height? I'm 16'10"

Looks like you get it.

The standards for men's desirability are honestly immense and incredibly unattainable. Even if you spend 1/3 of your life toiling at the gym, you may still be called an undersize midget and garner no positive interaction.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.


Political Compass Results:

Economic: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10986
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:14 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Page wrote:
TERFs are just terrible in every way. They spew shit like "bi women are repressed lesbians and bi men only fuck men because they're misogynists".

Men having sexual attraction

TERFs: Is that a personal attack or something?

Nah, they wouldn't ask it as a question. They'd say "that's a personal attack, you MRA!"
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Page
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10214
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:14 pm

Cekoviu wrote:Oh yeah, it's an issue. It's not as big of a problem as racism and transphobia, but it's a problem. You've got people on one hand saying that bisexuality is transphobic and people on the other saying bisexuals aren't oppressed.


Bisexuality isn't transphobic. Being bi doesn't automatically include or exclude trans people including non-binary people, what people are attracted toward varies depending on the person.

And I can't help but think some people who say bisexuality is transphobic aren't even trans but just concern trolls.
I am a libertarian socialist.
I am ungovernable.
I owe no allegiance to any state.
I am bound to my conscience, not to the law.
I stand for liberty, justice, and peace.

User avatar
Lamaredia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1546
Founded: May 25, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Lamaredia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:14 pm

Galloism wrote:
Springfeal wrote:
Bisexual implies almost equal attraction to both sexes. The terms heteroflexible and homoflexibile are used to refer to people that lean more one way.

Huh, new terms.

My personal favourites are andro- and gynephilia, attraction to masculinity and femininity respectively. I'm bisexual, I'm attracted mostly to femininity no matter the sex of the partner, so gynephilia was a good word for me to learn. :)
Currently representing the SLP/R, Leading to a brighter future, in the NS Parliament RP as Representative Jonas Trägårdh Apelstierna.

Currently a co-admin of the NS Parliament RP

Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59

Result


Political test = Social Democrat
Cosmopolitan – 15%
Communistic - 44%
Anarchistic - 28%
Visionary - 50%
Secular - 53%
Pacifist - 12%
Anthropocentric– 16%

Result


Socio-Economic Ideology = Social Democracy
Social Democracy = 100%
Democratic Socialism = 83%
Anarchism 58%


Result
Last edited by Lamaredia on Fri June 07, 2019 1:05 AM, edited 52 times in total.

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10986
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:16 pm

Page wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Oh yeah, it's an issue. It's not as big of a problem as racism and transphobia, but it's a problem. You've got people on one hand saying that bisexuality is transphobic and people on the other saying bisexuals aren't oppressed.


Bisexuality isn't transphobic. Being bi doesn't automatically include or exclude trans people including non-binary people, what people are attracted toward varies depending on the person.

And I can't help but think some people who say bisexuality is transphobic aren't even trans but just concern trolls.

Yes, that is all true.
The "it's transphobic" crowd seem to be almost entirely pansexuals, many of whom aren't even trans.
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Lamaredia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1546
Founded: May 25, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Lamaredia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Cekoviu wrote:Oh yeah, it's an issue. It's not as big of a problem as racism and transphobia, but it's a problem. You've got people on one hand saying that bisexuality is transphobic and people on the other saying bisexuals aren't oppressed.

I've never understood either of those points. The first one, for some reason those against bisexuality has redefined it from being attracted to both sexes to being attracted to the two genders of the gender binary, meaning that anyone who's non-binary or trans is excluded, which isn't true at all. The second one is even more strange, are bisexuals not oppressed because they theoretically can be in a heterosexual relationship? We as bisexuals still don't choose which gender of person we fall in love with.
Currently representing the SLP/R, Leading to a brighter future, in the NS Parliament RP as Representative Jonas Trägårdh Apelstierna.

Currently a co-admin of the NS Parliament RP

Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59

Result


Political test = Social Democrat
Cosmopolitan – 15%
Communistic - 44%
Anarchistic - 28%
Visionary - 50%
Secular - 53%
Pacifist - 12%
Anthropocentric– 16%

Result


Socio-Economic Ideology = Social Democracy
Social Democracy = 100%
Democratic Socialism = 83%
Anarchism 58%


Result
Last edited by Lamaredia on Fri June 07, 2019 1:05 AM, edited 52 times in total.

User avatar
The South Falls
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12452
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The South Falls » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Men having sexual attraction

TERFs: Is that a personal attack or something?

Nah, they wouldn't ask it as a question. They'd say "that's a personal attack, you MRA!"

Then throw in a hasty chastisement for how we're discriminating against women and perpetuating misogyny due to our "manspreading" and "not getting pregnant" as opposed to tackling women's issues and attempting to better the average woman's existence.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.


Political Compass Results:

Economic: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -Ocelot-, Ayytaly, Blargoblarg, Cannot think of a name, Europa Undivided, Galloism, Google Adsense [Bot], Gun Manufacturers, Nakena, Post War America, The Alma Mater

Advertisement

Remove ads