NATION

PASSWORD

Berkley to cease using gendered language like "manhole"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should other cities remove gendered words from their vocabulary too?

Of course. 'Manhole' is an inherently offensive term.
34
14%
No. I like my gendered words the way they are.
80
33%
Quarantine Berkley.
130
53%
 
Total votes : 244

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47595
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:33 am

Duhon wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
And there we go with the slippery slope again.


This has a lot more weight than others.

I mean, having a beef with fucking "manhole".

FUCKING.

MANHOLE.


So basically what we're saying is it's dangerous to accept that not everyone who works in the sanitation department is a man.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
Duhon
Senator
 
Posts: 4238
Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Duhon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:37 am

Vassenor wrote:
Duhon wrote:
This has a lot more weight than others.

I mean, having a beef with fucking "manhole".

FUCKING.

MANHOLE.


So basically what we're saying is it's dangerous to accept that not everyone who works in the sanitation department is a man.


And basically what I for one am saying is that words like fucking "manpower" and fucking "manhole" aren't fucking loaded terms, ready to inculcate sexism into the vulnerable like fucking linguistic stinkbombs.

I mean, look at me, I pepper almost every decent interval between fucking words with fucking variations of fucking "fuck", but does that mean I wanna fuck tonight?
Last edited by Duhon on Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Highever
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1862
Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:37 am

Vassenor wrote:
Duhon wrote:
This has a lot more weight than others.

I mean, having a beef with fucking "manhole".

FUCKING.

MANHOLE.


So basically what we're saying is it's dangerous to accept that not everyone who works in the sanitation department is a man.

Pretty sure they are just showing how absurd it is to find an issue with what to call a hole leading to a sewer system but, sure, label them as a misogynist or something.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47595
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:38 am

Highever wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So basically what we're saying is it's dangerous to accept that not everyone who works in the sanitation department is a man.

Pretty sure they are just showing how absurd it is to find an issue with what to call a hole leading to a sewer system but, sure, label them as a misogynist or something.


Who said anything about misogyny?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
Highever
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1862
Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:43 am

Vassenor wrote:
Highever wrote:Pretty sure they are just showing how absurd it is to find an issue with what to call a hole leading to a sewer system but, sure, label them as a misogynist or something.


Who said anything about misogyny?

Oh of course I forgot, you only vaguely imply things or toe the line so that you can always deny that you technically said it. Unless something else was meant by saying Duhon was saying they don't want to accept that it isn't only men who work in sanitation.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

User avatar
Purgatio
Senator
 
Posts: 4270
Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:18 am

Vassenor wrote:
Duhon wrote:
This has a lot more weight than others.

I mean, having a beef with fucking "manhole".

FUCKING.

MANHOLE.


So basically what we're saying is it's dangerous to accept that not everyone who works in the sanitation department is a man.


No one, literally no one, who uses the word "manhole" thinks that everyone who works in the sanitation department is a man or that women cannot work in sewers. No one. Changing the word does nothing to change mindsets or mentalities.
An Introduction to Purgatio

Results
Work, Liberty, Order
Essentialism - 86%
Punitive Justice - 100%
Conservatism - 64%
Nationalism - 93%
Capitalism - 100%
Laissez-faire - 100%
Productivism - 100%
Reformism - 100%
Other Values - Pragmatism; Monarchism; Missionary

Results
Fanatic Unitary - 94%
Fanatic Authoritarian - 94%
Moderate Isolationist - 62%
Militarist - 78%
Extreme Security - 86%
Fanatic Markets - 98%
Moderate Religious - 62%
Progressive - 58%
Fanatic Assimilationist - 90%

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47595
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:26 am

Highever wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Who said anything about misogyny?

Oh of course I forgot, you only vaguely imply things or toe the line so that you can always deny that you technically said it. Unless something else was meant by saying Duhon was saying they don't want to accept that it isn't only men who work in sanitation.


Or we're just assuming that this must be the work of those evil feminists trying to erase the mens from history.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Minister
 
Posts: 2914
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:44 am

Soon, there will be no more manholes in the city of Berkeley, California. There will also be no chairmen, no manpower, no policemen or policewomen.

"I was stopped and frisked by a policeman."

"I was stopped and frisked by a policewoman."

Do these statements sound the same to you?

People are not "gender neutral." Hormones plainly influence us, and it is idiotic to ignore them.
Iridencia wrote:Inept people always decry pragmatic choices as "cowardly" because they know they're not smart enough to play on that level.
Kowani wrote:You don’t get to call it Chinese industry when American corporations are the ones outsourcing their labor.

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47595
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:58 am

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:
Soon, there will be no more manholes in the city of Berkeley, California. There will also be no chairmen, no manpower, no policemen or policewomen.

"I was stopped and frisked by a policeman."

"I was stopped and frisked by a policewoman."

Do these statements sound the same to you?

People are not "gender neutral." Hormones plainly influence us, and it is idiotic to ignore them.


Yes, actually, they do. Same as if you'd said "I was stopped and frisked by a police officer".
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
Duhon
Senator
 
Posts: 4238
Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Duhon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:11 am

Vassenor wrote:
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:"I was stopped and frisked by a policeman."

"I was stopped and frisked by a policewoman."

Do these statements sound the same to you?

People are not "gender neutral." Hormones plainly influence us, and it is idiotic to ignore them.


Yes, actually, they do. Same as if you'd said "I was stopped and frisked by a police officer".


There is no reason, utterly no reason, to be this suspicious of words that have no freight of bigotry in them nor were ever intended to be so freighted. I mean, "man" was used to specifically mean "any one human being" or "mankind as a whole" irrespective of differences of sex till the end of the nineteenth century, without the added freight of it meaning "all males belonging to Homo sapiens sapiens".
Last edited by Duhon on Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 61626
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:16 am

Wallenburg wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Isn’t manhole a shortening of “manual access”; etymology for ‘hand’ as in the word ‘manual’?

No, it's literally just man and hole put together, because men go through the hole. Any etymology authority will tell you this. I don't know where you are getting this alt-history of the word. I certainly don't see how "access" gets shortened to "hole".

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-manholes-called-manholes

The term manhole comes from the 19th century and originally referred to a small access hole in the top or side of a boiler that was covered with a heavy metal plate bolted in place. These holes were not meant to provide access for a man to pass through, but for an arm and hand to reach the inner parts of the boiler. “Man” in this case refers not to the gender of the worker, but is from the root word that means “hand,” as in the word “manual.” Indeed, some old boiler manuals use the words “manhole” and “handhole” synonymously. Sewer manholes were probably so-called as an extension of the general term that meant “an access hole” and the gender-specific meaning followed naturally, albeit somewhat erroneously.

This is the same error one sees in the claim that terms such as “man the rudder” or “man the post” are gender-specific when in fact they simply refer to the actual holding of something with the hand (like a rudder), or are instances of synecdoche where “man,” meaning “hand,” is used to refer to a (gender-neutral) person (as in “all hands on deck.”)

Manholes, mostly found in the streets of cities, serve as access points to various underground utilities including sewers, electricity, telephone lines, gas lines and storm drains.

The Name
The term "manhole" comes from the simple idea of how the hole was used--by men who entered the hole to locate the tunneled area beneath the ground.

Other Names
A manhole may also be called an access chamber, utility hole, maintenance hole or inspection chamber.

Name Issue
According to The New York Times, leaders in Sacramento, California, decided in 1990 that the word "manhole" was sexist, and the city now refers to manholes as "maintenance holes."

The Covers
Manhole covers are noted for more than their original role as coverings for in-ground holes. Their covers often display complex, detailed patterning considered to be artwork by fans and photographers.

This is an excerpt taken from What’s in a name?—The Controversy Over “Manholes”
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47595
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:17 am

Duhon wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Yes, actually, they do. Same as if you'd said "I was stopped and frisked by a police officer".


There is no reason, utterly no reason, to be this suspicious of words that have no freight of bigotry in them nor were ever intended to be so freighted. I mean, "man" was used to specifically mean "any one human being" or "mankind as a whole" irrespective of differences of sex till the end of the nineteenth century, without the added freight of it meaning "all males belonging to Homo sapiens sapiens".


Where is anyone claiming the word is bigoted?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Minister
 
Posts: 2914
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:18 am

Vassenor wrote:
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:"I was stopped and frisked by a policeman."

"I was stopped and frisked by a policewoman."

Do these statements sound the same to you?

People are not "gender neutral." Hormones plainly influence us, and it is idiotic to ignore them.


Yes, actually, they do. Same as if you'd said "I was stopped and frisked by a police officer".

The former would feel gross. The latter would feel fun, even with the fear of your keys being mistaken for knives hanging over your head.

As anyone who's been to Beijing Airport can attest to.
Iridencia wrote:Inept people always decry pragmatic choices as "cowardly" because they know they're not smart enough to play on that level.
Kowani wrote:You don’t get to call it Chinese industry when American corporations are the ones outsourcing their labor.

User avatar
United States of Americanas
Envoy
 
Posts: 267
Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby United States of Americanas » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:31 am

Manhole is a generic slang term that should have never gotten into official use.

It’s printed on the metal it’s self here. It typically says SEWER MAINTENANCE HATCH or SEWER ACCESS.

As for chairman, I’m not even in Berkeley and we refer to them as chairpersons.

Police officers here generally are referred to as such in any generic context unless you are speaking directly to an officer and not a group of mixed officers and or citizens.

I got pulled over by a police officer for running a stop sign and got off with a warning is the proper way to speak.

A policeman pulled me over last night just sounds too specific. They are people with need for privacy. I don’t remember their names nor their genders for more than a day or two unless I am friends with them and even then I keep that information to myself to protect their safety and privacy on the job.

So yeah, I agree with Berkeley. They’re not the government they’re not forcing people to do it, it’s encouragement to move in a direction away from our gender obsessed world.

As a private institution of higher education they have a legal right to regulate what speech is permissible on their property.

If you’re out on the street and you say “hey someone left that manhole open” it could be confusing to someone from Britain or Europe as across the pond and in almost all other countries they are sewer access or maintenance hatches.

America has a problem with misogyny built into American English. It’s time to strip that out and fix it. Better yet let’s get rid of American English all together and start using the British English dictionary and for the love of God GO METRIC! Beyond sick of the imperial measurement system!
Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Damn right I’m a liberal democratic socialist. I sit in the ranks of Gandhi.
https://8values.github.io/results.html? ... 8.5&s=88.6

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 61626
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 am

United States of Americanas wrote:So yeah, I agree with Berkeley. They’re not the government they’re not forcing people to do it, it’s encouragement to move in a direction away from our gender obsessed world.

As a private institution of higher education they have a legal right to regulate what speech is permissible on their property.


This is Berkeley the city government, not the university. Also, they’re not regulating speech, only changing their municipal codes.

America has a problem with misogyny built into American English.

Manhole is not a misogynist word. It’s a little confusing because “man” can mean person, or human person, or hand - as in “manual” or “manufacture” or “manacle”.
Last edited by Galloism on Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 134882
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:05 am

Saint Arsenio wrote:
Ifreann wrote:It is weird how you are so literal yet fail to read my post.

I'm not literal. At least in my opinion. I just don't understand how I've failed to read your post. You said I'm acting like gendered words killed someone, when nowhere in my posts have I even implied that. I've also asked you a question that you have yet to answer. I believe you're trying to divert away from it.

Okay, I will spell this out for you, once, but this is very tiresome.

You said "I've lost people I know because I've used "Gendered" words."

The phrase "I've lost someone" is often used to mean "Someone I know has died".

And I think it's funny to read your post as saying "People I know have died because I've used "Gendered" words."
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Saint Arsenio
Envoy
 
Posts: 204
Founded: Jul 19, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Saint Arsenio » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:35 am

Ifreann wrote:
Saint Arsenio wrote:I'm not literal. At least in my opinion. I just don't understand how I've failed to read your post. You said I'm acting like gendered words killed someone, when nowhere in my posts have I even implied that. I've also asked you a question that you have yet to answer. I believe you're trying to divert away from it.

Okay, I will spell this out for you, once, but this is very tiresome.

You said "I've lost people I know because I've used "Gendered" words."

The phrase "I've lost someone" is often used to mean "Someone I know has died".

And I think it's funny to read your post as saying "People I know have died because I've used "Gendered" words."

It's tiresome for you because you're fighting for a point you have yet to make clear. Do you know what's funny? How, in the beginning I said "I've lost people I know because I used "Gendered Words," and you assumed they died, yet you call me the literal one. You used a key word in your second to last sentence: often.

The definition of often: frequently; many times -- Not all the time.

You may find what I said funny (which, I don't see how someone losing someone they knew is funny, but I can see we both have different sense's of humor), but personally, I find it quite funny that the majority of people on this forum understood what I meant, yet you can't understand it. It's a simple sentence, person.
Last edited by Saint Arsenio on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Macio Glennwood, Ruler of The Kingdom of Saint Arsenio | Minister of Foreign Affairs and WA Delegate of the Empire of Great Britain

My Nation does NOT represent all of my RL views, only some.

For: Pro-Choice, Democracy

Against: Dictatorship, Communism, "Extreme" Pro-Life

User avatar
Shofercia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29074
Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:10 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Cappuccina wrote:Then why change the words in the first place? Why change the terminology if there's no reason to do so?

It's Berkeley. Do you really think there's a conspiracy to make everyone hate men, even including men themselves?


In Berkeley? Absolutely.


Kowani wrote:
Cappuccina wrote:I.e, the change is ideologically motivated. Extend feminist misandry to even the most trivial corner of society.

This is what we call fearmongering, people. Learn to recognize it.


Fearmongering is when people are supposed to be scared, hence the usages of the word "fear" in fearmongering. This is more like calling out the demand of radical feminists to have their way in everything, even something as trivial as a term used in a municipal code. I'm not sure about you, but I don't find municipal codes daunting.


Vassenor wrote:
Cappuccina wrote:Then why change the words in the first place? Why change the terminology if there's no reason to do so?


So what harm does this change cause?


It's a waste of money to utilize resources to reprint the manual code of those terms, to have staff members change them online, and so on. I understand that dearest Gavin Newsom believes that money magically grows on trees, but that's not really the case.


Recidivism wrote:
EastKekistan wrote:. Libs will try to "equalize" STEM by setting up strict racial quotas and trads will simply attempt to ban STEM due to the misguided belief that it is a part of liberalism or something..


No, they won't, since the use of racial quotas in college admissions was ruled unconstitutional in 1978.


And no college has challenged it ever since... https://www.thecollegefix.com/clemson-u ... em-fields/

Clemson University’s College of Engineering, Computing and Applied Sciences has rolled out quota goals for faculty hiring and student enrollment rates in an effort to increase racial diversity and assist other “underrepresented” groups, according to a draft proposal obtained by The College Fix.


https://cei.org/blog/quotas-limiting-ma ... ar-science

Quotas limiting the number of male students in science may be imposed by the Education Department in 2013. The White House has promised that "new guidelines will also be issued to grant-receiving universities and colleges" spelling out "Title IX rules in the science, technology, engineering and math fields." These guidelines will likely echo existing Title IX guidelines that restrict men's percentage of intercollegiate athletes to their percentage in overall student bodies, thus reducing the overall number of intercollegiate athletes.


That took me all of two minutes to find. Imagine what I can find in ten minutes. Drop that bullshit line of argument right now. Gracias, amigo.
Pricks who burned other people alive should be punished.
Feel the Bern! Two actual females that can beat Trump: Gabbard & Klobuchar
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
If we tell the radical Republicans that there's proof that Global Warming doesn't exist in Death Valley, and the radical Democrats that there's proof of Russian Collusion there, would we have a better America?

(North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia! DonBass is De Facto Independent! Stand with NovoRossiya!
Tecumseh was a Real American

User avatar
Shofercia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29074
Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:19 am

Recidivism wrote:
EastKekistan wrote:Haha. They are already de facto doing that through AA. Neither libs nor trads believe in meritocracy.


Affirmative action does not necessarily mean "racial quotas." Racial quotas are a form of affirmative action. Your claim that affirmative action constitutes de facto racial quotas is just ignorant, and if it were true, many universities would have been sued already.

Nor does support of affirmative action necessarily constitute a rejection of meritocracy. Merits have to be considered in context.


If affirmative action is based primarily on race, then yes, it is racism, but stated in a friendlier way. Why didn't the Confederates try that? "Slavery's not racism, it's just affirmative action to enhance the rights of rich white people!"


Vassenor wrote:
Duhon wrote:
This has a lot more weight than others.

I mean, having a beef with fucking "manhole".

FUCKING.

MANHOLE.


So basically what we're saying is it's dangerous to accept that not everyone who works in the sanitation department is a man.


So after whining about how everyone's overreacting, you're claiming that women would feel uncomfortable going into a manhole, because it's called a manhole? That would be an overreaction, wouldn't it?


Duhon wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So basically what we're saying is it's dangerous to accept that not everyone who works in the sanitation department is a man.


And basically what I for one am saying is that words like fucking "manpower" and fucking "manhole" aren't fucking loaded terms, ready to inculcate sexism into the vulnerable like fucking linguistic stinkbombs.

I mean, look at me, I pepper almost every decent interval between fucking words with fucking variations of fucking "fuck", but does that mean I wanna fuck tonight?


Probably :P


Vassenor wrote:
Highever wrote:Pretty sure they are just showing how absurd it is to find an issue with what to call a hole leading to a sewer system but, sure, label them as a misogynist or something.


Who said anything about misogyny?


Vassenor wrote:So basically what we're saying is it's dangerous to accept that not everyone who works in the sanitation department is a man.


That was the quote he was responding to.


Vassenor wrote:
Highever wrote:Oh of course I forgot, you only vaguely imply things or toe the line so that you can always deny that you technically said it. Unless something else was meant by saying Duhon was saying they don't want to accept that it isn't only men who work in sanitation.


Or we're just assuming that this must be the work of those evil feminists trying to erase the mens from history.


Damn. I think all of the straw in California just went missing.
Pricks who burned other people alive should be punished.
Feel the Bern! Two actual females that can beat Trump: Gabbard & Klobuchar
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
If we tell the radical Republicans that there's proof that Global Warming doesn't exist in Death Valley, and the radical Democrats that there's proof of Russian Collusion there, would we have a better America?

(North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia! DonBass is De Facto Independent! Stand with NovoRossiya!
Tecumseh was a Real American

User avatar
Shofercia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29074
Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:24 am

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:
Soon, there will be no more manholes in the city of Berkeley, California. There will also be no chairmen, no manpower, no policemen or policewomen.

"I was stopped and frisked by a policeman."

"I was stopped and frisked by a policewoman."

Do these statements sound the same to you?

People are not "gender neutral." Hormones plainly influence us, and it is idiotic to ignore them.


So do you propose that we mandate a change for all American high schools, and demand that the freshmen designation is changed into freshpeople?


Vassenor wrote:
Duhon wrote:
There is no reason, utterly no reason, to be this suspicious of words that have no freight of bigotry in them nor were ever intended to be so freighted. I mean, "man" was used to specifically mean "any one human being" or "mankind as a whole" irrespective of differences of sex till the end of the nineteenth century, without the added freight of it meaning "all males belonging to Homo sapiens sapiens".


Where is anyone claiming the word is bigoted?


So why change it?
Pricks who burned other people alive should be punished.
Feel the Bern! Two actual females that can beat Trump: Gabbard & Klobuchar
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
If we tell the radical Republicans that there's proof that Global Warming doesn't exist in Death Valley, and the radical Democrats that there's proof of Russian Collusion there, would we have a better America?

(North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia! DonBass is De Facto Independent! Stand with NovoRossiya!
Tecumseh was a Real American

User avatar
Kowani
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17973
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:02 am

Shofercia wrote:
It's a waste of money to utilize resources to reprint the manual code of those terms, to have staff members change them online, and so on. I understand that dearest Gavin Newsom believes that money magically grows on trees, but that's not really the case.

Yeah, those 600 dollars are really crucial to the continued function of the city.
Also-What does Gavin Newsom have to do with anything? He’s the state governor, not mayor of Berkley.
Atheist and still proud of it. Spanish Expat.
Post-Capitalist, Post-Nationalist. Rights are functionally just privileges society has deemed important.
Seangoli wrote:You are spouting nonsensical drivel with no coherent thought, little logic, and at the end of it all just angry opining at the clouds based on a truly astonishly low level of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter.

Turbofolkia wrote:And it’s not like the 1000 different offshoots of Protestantism that you have in America are any better. Even if they’re not abusing children, it’s just megachurches filled with people on mobility strollers donating their life savings to Pastor Hamburglar so that he can buy his sixth McMansion.

0% Capitalism

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 134882
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:06 am

Saint Arsenio wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Okay, I will spell this out for you, once, but this is very tiresome.

You said "I've lost people I know because I've used "Gendered" words."

The phrase "I've lost someone" is often used to mean "Someone I know has died".

And I think it's funny to read your post as saying "People I know have died because I've used "Gendered" words."

It's tiresome for you because you're fighting for a point you have yet to make clear. Do you know what's funny? How, in the beginning I said "I've lost people I know because I used "Gendered Words," and you assumed they died, yet you call me the literal one. You used a key word in your second to last sentence: often.

The definition of often: frequently; many times -- Not all the time.

You may find what I said funny (which, I don't see how someone losing someone they knew is funny, but I can see we both have different sense's of humor), but personally, I find it quite funny that the majority of people on this forum understood what I meant, yet you can't understand it. It's a simple sentence, person.

I found it. This is where humour goes to die.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Saint Arsenio
Envoy
 
Posts: 204
Founded: Jul 19, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Saint Arsenio » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:29 am

Ifreann wrote:
Saint Arsenio wrote:It's tiresome for you because you're fighting for a point you have yet to make clear. Do you know what's funny? How, in the beginning I said "I've lost people I know because I used "Gendered Words," and you assumed they died, yet you call me the literal one. You used a key word in your second to last sentence: often.

The definition of often: frequently; many times -- Not all the time.

You may find what I said funny (which, I don't see how someone losing someone they knew is funny, but I can see we both have different sense's of humor), but personally, I find it quite funny that the majority of people on this forum understood what I meant, yet you can't understand it. It's a simple sentence, person.

I found it. This is where humour goes to die.

Diverting away from the actual topic again, are we?
King Macio Glennwood, Ruler of The Kingdom of Saint Arsenio | Minister of Foreign Affairs and WA Delegate of the Empire of Great Britain

My Nation does NOT represent all of my RL views, only some.

For: Pro-Choice, Democracy

Against: Dictatorship, Communism, "Extreme" Pro-Life

User avatar
Cappuccina
Minister
 
Posts: 2584
Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cappuccina » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:16 am

Vassenor wrote:
Duhon wrote:
There is no reason, utterly no reason, to be this suspicious of words that have no freight of bigotry in them nor were ever intended to be so freighted. I mean, "man" was used to specifically mean "any one human being" or "mankind as a whole" irrespective of differences of sex till the end of the nineteenth century, without the added freight of it meaning "all males belonging to Homo sapiens sapiens".


Where is anyone claiming the word is bigoted?

You did.

Vassenor wrote:
Duhon wrote:
This has a lot more weight than others.

I mean, having a beef with fucking "manhole".

FUCKING.

MANHOLE.


So basically what we're saying is it's dangerous to accept that not everyone who works in the sanitation department is a man.


That's implying that the word is intended to mean that it's an access hole for men to use.
Muslim, Female, Not white..... oppression points x3!!!!
"The hope of a new politics does not lie in formulating a left-wing reply to the right, it lies in rejecting conventional political categories." -Christopher Lasch
Automobile fan!!! ^_^
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Kamb la tis je ste nemaj udevirtij, id tal adorad sí po Doj solem!!!

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47595
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:19 am

Cappuccina wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Where is anyone claiming the word is bigoted?

You did.

Vassenor wrote:
So basically what we're saying is it's dangerous to accept that not everyone who works in the sanitation department is a man.


That's implying that the word is intended to mean that it's an access hole for men to use.


Did you pull something reaching that hard?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Antityranicals, Bienenhalde, Darussalam, Dresderstan, Galloism, Google Adsense [Bot], Greed and Death, Gun Manufacturers, Heloin, Ifreann, Karlsbourg, MSN [Bot], Myrensis, Nakena, Nuwe Oranje, Plzen, The Terran Communities, Thermodolia, Vassenor, Vistulange, Volinovia, Xuloqoia, ZUN

Advertisement

Remove ads