NATION

PASSWORD

Heathenry/Norse Polytheism Discussion thread.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 am

Hatterleigh wrote:The only truly viable pagans are those that take the overarching ideas of giant groups of religions, for the norse and greeks, the overarching themes in Indo-European religions like reincarnation, certain types of gods, veneration of ancestors, veneration of war, horse and cow holy stuff, ancestral twins, that sort of stuff. Norse Paganism, Greek Paganism, are just evolutions of the same religion both characterized by isolation and influence from pre-IE groups living in the area or other peoples who interacted with them. The role pantheons of pagan peoples plays is for an origin narrative.

Fair enough. That makes a lot more sense now and I see where you are coming from.

However paganism and polytheism is a broad field and extends beyond the indo-european paganic traditions you were referencing too.

North German Realm wrote:True as that may be, it's irrelevant to what you stated in your first post. "Folkish Paganism" was literally something a bunch of racist antisemites came up with in late 19th century to oppose muh Jewish Christianity and has no basis in actual, recorded history.

Thats the problem that comes with borrowing memes from bad sauce.
Last edited by Nakena on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:23 am

Norse paganism, neo-paganism in general really, is a perfectly acceptable faith to adhere to, and certainly paganism/neo-paganism are very interesting to study. Just don’t row up to my house in a longboat and steal my stuff and we’re good.
Last edited by Ism on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:24 am

North German Realm wrote:
Hatterleigh wrote:This has nothing to do with race as a science, it's a spiritual thing. Unlike christianity, you don't go to eternal hell for not being part of the pagan cults.

True as that may be, it's irrelevant to what you stated in your first post. "Folkish Paganism" was literally something a bunch of racist antisemites came up with in late 19th century to oppose muh Jewish Christianity and has no basis in actual, recorded history.

In the rigvedas it says shudras weren't allowed to partake in holy rites, and in norse mythology hel did say she had to start checking the races of men who died for so many died, which implies ethnicity played a role in who was "in" with the gods
Last edited by Hatterleigh on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:26 am

Nakena wrote:
Hatterleigh wrote:The only truly viable pagans are those that take the overarching ideas of giant groups of religions, for the norse and greeks, the overarching themes in Indo-European religions like reincarnation, certain types of gods, veneration of ancestors, veneration of war, horse and cow holy stuff, ancestral twins, that sort of stuff. Norse Paganism, Greek Paganism, are just evolutions of the same religion both characterized by isolation and influence from pre-IE groups living in the area or other peoples who interacted with them. The role pantheons of pagan peoples plays is for an origin narrative.

Fair enough. That makes a lot more sense now and I see where you are coming from.

However paganism and polytheism is a broad field and extends beyond the indo-european paganic traditions you were referening too.

North German Realm wrote:True as that may be, it's irrelevant to what you stated in your first post. "Folkish Paganism" was literally something a bunch of racist antisemites came up with in late 19th century to oppose muh Jewish Christianity and has no basis in actual, recorded history.

If ur just a general polytheist, yeah its universalist
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:27 am

Hatterleigh wrote:

In the rigvedas it says shudras weren't allowed to partake in holy rites

What about the Dravidian Brahman, though?

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:28 am

Hatterleigh wrote:

In the rigvedas it says shudras weren't allowed to partake in holy rites

How does an Indian caste have any relevance to a discussion about "folkish paganism" (largely a term used to refer to a specific subgroup in American Norse Pagan community)
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:30 am

Hatterleigh wrote:In the rigvedas it says shudras weren't allowed to partake in holy rites

How does an Indian caste have any relevance to a discussion about "folkish paganism" (largely a term used to refer to a specific subgroup in American Norse Pagan community)

The Shudras of indo-aryan society aren't the same of those of hindu society, they were considered a people who belonged to a particular race. And because the vedic religion is considered to be one of the earliest indo european religions and most related to the proto indo european religion, it is important for anyone who believes in I.E. paganism. Not important if u are solely a viking worshipper, but I already said I think that's proposterous
Last edited by Hatterleigh on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:31 am

Hatterleigh wrote:
Nakena wrote:

However paganism and polytheism is a broad field and extends beyond the indo-european paganic traditions you were referening too.

If ur just a general polytheist, yeah its universalist

I do not specifically adhere to indo-european pagan traditions, despite I do have my sympathies for them and certainly prefer them over abrahamite stuff.
Last edited by Nakena on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:32 am

Bienenhalde wrote:
Hatterleigh wrote:In the rigvedas it says shudras weren't allowed to partake in holy rites

What about the Dravidian Brahman, though?

This is in reference to the Indo-Aryan Vedic peoples, pre-hinduism and before hinduism had spread throughout south and southeast asia.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:06 am

Except the norse pantheon is an amalgamation of various tribal deities from different regions and ethnic groups, those we would come to typify as the norse peoples were often incredibly migratory and often mixed with the cultures they encountered, and the shift in cultural practices is rather clearly represented in the mythology itself.

The rise to prominence of the Æsir over the Vanir (with the exception of Freyja/Frigg) has been often accredited by modern historians to the transition from a primarily agrarian lifestyle to further veneration of the warrior and raising traditions as the agricultural and nature deities developed a generally lesser position to gods of war, commerce, and nobility. The attestations of divergent attributes to a single deity to the point of actually becoming split in two is seen with Freyja/Frigg, who is by all accounts different aspects of the same goddess. This was furthered during the shifting roles of women in the Christianization of Northern Europe. Attributes of Freyja, such as her practice of Seiðr was additionally shifted to Odin as the goddess was increasingly left out of myths and legends. This transference of attributes to Odin was immensely common, as he came to subsumed the roles of many different gods of wisdom, war, justice, battlefield rage, magic, rightful rule, etc., including his adoption of many of the aspects previously held by Tyr.

The history of the Norse pantheon, like with most religions, is one which is defined by the transference and blending of ideas across numerous cultures. A folkish interpretation is frankly ahistorical, and the product of a racist revision of history.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 am

Why believe in such beings? What proof is there that any type of god or gods exist?

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:16 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Why believe in such beings? What proof is there that any type of god or gods exist?

There isn't, obviously. The argument is tried and old, and much as I like using it against Muslims and Christians and watch them crash and burn, the existence -or lackthereof- of deities (in general) is unprovable from a logical basis.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Lillorainen
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:34 am

Threlizdun wrote:Except the norse pantheon is an amalgamation of various tribal deities from different regions and ethnic groups, those we would come to typify as the norse peoples were often incredibly migratory and often mixed with the cultures they encountered, and the shift in cultural practices is rather clearly represented in the mythology itself.

The rise to prominence of the Æsir over the Vanir (with the exception of Freyja/Frigg) has been often accredited by modern historians to the transition from a primarily agrarian lifestyle to further veneration of the warrior and raising traditions as the agricultural and nature deities developed a generally lesser position to gods of war, commerce, and nobility. The attestations of divergent attributes to a single deity to the point of actually becoming split in two is seen with Freyja/Frigg, who is by all accounts different aspects of the same goddess. This was furthered during the shifting roles of women in the Christianization of Northern Europe. Attributes of Freyja, such as her practice of Seiðr was additionally shifted to Odin as the goddess was increasingly left out of myths and legends. This transference of attributes to Odin was immensely common, as he came to subsumed the roles of many different gods of wisdom, war, justice, battlefield rage, magic, rightful rule, etc., including his adoption of many of the aspects previously held by Tyr.

The history of the Norse pantheon, like with most religions, is one which is defined by the transference and blending of ideas across numerous cultures. A folkish interpretation is frankly ahistorical, and the product of a racist revision of history.

Indeed, many things have changed throughout the history of the Norse pantheon, the loss of Tyr's previous rule as a sort of Godfather to Odin being a quite prominent example. Or the attributes of Freyja, which you've already mentioned. Odin (or Wodan, as he was called in Middle and Southern Germany) being a very complex character is the result of these regional variations, which changed more and more, the more the differeent tribes migrated and merged into each other (Saxons, Franks). To my knowledge, it is assumed, yet not proven (due to the lack of reliable sources), that the Cult of Wodan spread from the Lower Rhinelands, and with said merge of the various tribes, the imagination of him being the Godfather (and not Tyr) spread quite quickly. Then again, since even scientists disagree, don't quote me on that, for sources like the Edda were written in the Middle Ages, so Snorri Sturluson can hardly be quoted on changes in an entirely different region than his home country (Iceland) centuries before his birth, either.

Though, as for the relations of Greek and Norse Paganism - granted, things change (see above) a lot in single regions, of course, but due to the Indo-European root of both Germans and Greeks, as well as the common origin of the languages spoken, and last but not least, the similarities in attributions between both pantheons as well as earlier Indian ones, I do think it's prudent to assume, that there is quite a common origin of all Indo-European polytheisms - even though they're sometimes hard to almost impossible to recognize.
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:45 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Why believe in such beings? What proof is there that any type of god or gods exist?

There isn't, obviously. The argument is tried and old, and much as I like using it against Muslims and Christians and watch them crash and burn, the existence -or lackthereof- of deities (in general) is unprovable from a logical basis.

Its unproveable with current science or observation methods. That may change one day however, probably not any time soon though. I have my own takes and experiences regarding the whole matter.
Last edited by Nakena on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:22 am

Hatterleigh wrote:

In the rigvedas it says shudras weren't allowed to partake in holy rites, and in norse mythology hel did say she had to start checking the races of men who died for so many died, which implies ethnicity played a role in who was "in" with the gods

It... doesn't? Also, while there's a connection there, I would consider trying to import Hindu concepts as something of a poor decision. In the end, the primary evidence comes from the fact that the Norse themselves didn't particularly seem to care about race. Given their descendants are full of all kinds of foreign genetics.

If they had a thought that racial impurity would cut them off from the gods, they would likely have more of a concern about who they slept with. Also, based on the Norse myths, ALL humans came from the two Odin and his brothers made.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:24 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Hatterleigh wrote:In the rigvedas it says shudras weren't allowed to partake in holy rites, and in norse mythology hel did say she had to start checking the races of men who died for so many died, which implies ethnicity played a role in who was "in" with the gods

It... doesn't? Also, while there's a connection there, I would consider trying to import Hindu concepts as something of a poor decision. In the end, the primary evidence comes from the fact that the Norse themselves didn't particularly seem to care about race. Given their descendants are full of all kinds of foreign genetics.

If they had a thought that racial impurity would cut them off from the gods, they would likely have more of a concern about who they slept with. Also, based on the Norse myths, ALL humans came from the two Odin and his brothers made.

The caste system in india has a strong racial component and its supposed to prevent race mixing. The highest castes are supposedly the distant descendants of aryan conquerors.

It's pretty fucked up.

First American Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby First American Empire » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:24 am

Ism wrote:Norse paganism, neo-paganism in general really, is a perfectly acceptable faith to adhere to, and certainly paganism/neo-paganism are very interesting to study. Just don’t row up to my house in a longboat and steal my stuff and we’re good.

Point taken. I'll row up to your house in a trireme instead when I steal your stuff.

/s
The American Empire is a socially progressive absolute monarchy run by the heirs of Emperor Norton. It started off at MT but has rapidly advanced to PMT through interdimensional travel. All NSstats are used, except for tax rate and population. Factbooks are currently under reconstruction.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:43 am

First American Empire wrote:
Ism wrote:Norse paganism, neo-paganism in general really, is a perfectly acceptable faith to adhere to, and certainly paganism/neo-paganism are very interesting to study. Just don’t row up to my house in a longboat and steal my stuff and we’re good.

Point taken. I'll row up to your house in a trireme instead when I steal your stuff.

/s

Can you really afford one, with Greece’s economy? ;)
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

Lillorainen
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:45 am

Kowani wrote:

/s

Can you really afford one, with Greece’s economy? ;)

They could easily come to Germany and kindly ask for a credit. ;)
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:48 am

Lillorainen wrote:
Kowani wrote:Can you really afford one, with Greece’s economy? ;)

They could easily come to Germany and kindly ask for a credit. ;)

They have to pass the Bosporus and move up the danube river in their triremes. Quite an adventure.

Ism
Negotiator

Postby Ism » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:50 am

/s

Will no one rid me of this turbulent Hellene?

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:51 am

Ism wrote:

/s

Economics willl.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

Ism
Negotiator

Postby Ism » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:54 am

Kowani wrote:
Ism wrote:

Economics willl.

Well then, time to start a new pagan faith dedicated to Adam the Worldsmith, who governs the world with his invisible hand.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 pm

Nakena wrote:The caste system in india has a strong racial component and its supposed to prevent race mixing. The highest castes are supposedly the distant descendants of aryan conquerors.

It's pretty fucked up.

That's the Aryan Invasion Theory, a European racist pseudo-science rather than a real traditional belief in Hindu society. The Vedas claimed that the Brahmins were born from Brahma's mouth, the Kshatriya from his arms, the Vaishya from his thighs, and the Shudra from his calves. That was just one understanding of the caste system, both Buddhism and Jainism had their own interpretations and creation myths which differed.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:05 pm

Grenartia wrote:Nonpagan here with a question. Are there any pagan houses of worship yall go to, or do you just gather in someone's house somewhere?

I believe there are Romuva temples in Lithuania but beyond that I am not sure.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General