NATION

PASSWORD

A Beer Thread?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you drink beer?

Yes. Moderately and for the flavor.
28%
Yes. Moderately for a buzz.
22%
Yes. Heavily.
9%
No. I'm a minor.
18%
No. I'm lame/religious/otherwise dry.
13%
No. For health reasons.
10%

Total votes : 68

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:03 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Tsingtao is good, yes, as well as Kirin Ichiban from Japan and, in my estimation, Hitejinro or Hite from Korea.

I had a Japanese beer once, I can't remember which one, but it was good. I don't think I have ever had a Korean beer.

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:In terms of the mass produced stuff, Baltica is king. Tiger isn't bad either.

Tiger is alright, but it didn't particularly stand out.

I hadn’t tried Korean beer until a few months ago. One of the local Chinese restaurants owned by a Korean couple started serving it and I tried it. Twas good. Can’t drink it anymore but Hite is, for blonde beers, rather tasty imo.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:07 pm

I make beer. Fun stuff. Big on New England IPAs right now, since they're so much fun to get juuuuuuuust right.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:08 pm

Kernen wrote:I make beer. Fun stuff. Big on New England IPAs right now, since they're so much fun to get juuuuuuuust right.

Everyone I know complains about IPAs being bitter. I'm like 'I know, they're very nice.'
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Kernen wrote:I make beer. Fun stuff. Big on New England IPAs right now, since they're so much fun to get juuuuuuuust right.

Everyone I know complains about IPAs being bitter. I'm like 'I know, they're very nice.'

Some IPAs can be, but some are a good balance.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Yes, I drink beer. Usually for social reasons or when it's really hot out and there's money to spare. Can't say I'm a snob and I'm mostly clueless on terminology. I just taste it and if I like it I drink.

My preferred brand is Victoria. 2nd best for me is Montejo because I like the sweet corny aftertaste. The seasonal Noche Buena, Bohemia, León and Corona are fine too. I consider Heineken Lager Beer, Foster's, Indio and Carta Blanca to be meh-ish. Also, I dislike Tecate and Tuborg.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:10 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Everyone I know complains about IPAs being bitter. I'm like 'I know, they're very nice.'

Some IPAs can be, but some are a good balance.

A good NEIPA shouldn't be bitter. They should be relatively crisp and particularly full of hop flavor with almost no bitterness.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:22 am

Even though I am in my mid-20s, I still like to knock back a 30 rack of Busch with the boys on a Saturday watching puck and grilling brats. Combine it with a log of chaw and I'm good to go.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Te Netherlands
Envoy

Founded: Jul 31, 2018

Postby Te Netherlands » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:34 am

I like drinking beer, but only on a Friday evening, and I am 22. So if I write crappy on Friday evening, you know. (Sorry mods if this sounds quite chatty)
Official name: the Netherlands
After some disputes within the PVV and the CDP about the new political party (National Party of the Netherlands) PM Legtenberg announced that the name will be the Conservative Party. Because the initial NPN became associated with far-right parties NSB and NSDAP in the '30s and '40s. PM Legtenberg further announced that the Netherlands wil also be a Federal Republic from 1 January 2024. And that he will become the first President of the Netherlands. How this will affect the elections will be decided by him and the House

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:53 am

Free Arabian Nation wrote:I drink beer when I can, it's good.

The question is though, German or Irish?

German beer, Italian wine, Irish whiskey.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

East Ustya
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby East Ustya » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:55 am

I tried it a few times, but most beer is just to bitter.

Dutch beer SUCKS. LOL
Headlines:
2:(Neo)Paganism is decreasing in popularity after misandric comments made by their leading high priestess.

On the market for a new region.

Te Netherlands
Envoy

Postby Te Netherlands » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:06 pm

East Ustya wrote:I tried it a few times, but most beer is just to bitter.

Dutch beer SUCKS. LOL

From a Dutchie: I agree that Heineken isn't really tasty. Try Grolsch, Hertog Jan and Holger, they are MUCH better! ;) (If you can get it in your country)
After some disputes within the PVV and the CDP about the new political party (National Party of the Netherlands) PM Legtenberg announced that the name will be the Conservative Party. Because the initial NPN became associated with far-right parties NSB and NSDAP in the '30s and '40s. PM Legtenberg further announced that the Netherlands wil also be a Federal Republic from 1 January 2024. And that he will become the first President of the Netherlands. How this will affect the elections will be decided by him and the House

East Ustya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Ustya » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Te Netherlands wrote:

Dutch beer SUCKS. LOL

From a Dutchie: I agree that Heineken isn't really tasty. Try Grolsch, Hertog Jan and Holger, they are MUCH better! ;) (If you can get it in your country)

The only one I liked so far is Guiness, but I am more of a wine guy I think...
Headlines:
2:(Neo)Paganism is decreasing in popularity after misandric comments made by their leading high priestess.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:29 pm

East Ustya wrote:
Te Netherlands wrote:

The only one I liked so far is Guiness, but I am more of a wine guy I think...

I am sorry for your tastebuds.

Lawful Evil

East Ustya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Ustya » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Kernen wrote:
East Ustya wrote:The only one I liked so far is Guiness, but I am more of a wine guy I think...

Haha.

I just do not like bitter. ;P
Headlines:

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:33 pm

East Ustya wrote:
Kernen wrote:

Haha.

I just do not like bitter. ;P

Your loss. Beyond the passing aversion to bitterness lies a world of complex flavors.

Though it helps that I cannot perceive bitterness as a flavor.

Lawful Evil

Island of the Weasels
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Island of the Weasels » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:37 pm

I have been drinking a Salted Lime Kolsch that I recently discovered from a brewery near me that I'm really Enjoying. But honestly, I'll drink just about anything except IPA's... which taste to me like eating raw hops. Very plant-y. Same reason I can't drink gin... If I wanted to lick a Christmas tree I would just lick a Christmas tree. :rofl:

Lillorainen
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Te Netherlands wrote:

Dutch beer SUCKS. LOL

Oii Dutchie,
Funnily enough, I can get to the Netherlands within an hour from my home (theoretically, at least, assuming, that there are no traffic jams anywhere in NRW, so at 2AM in a Sunday night, I might have a realistic chance to speak of), and aside from Heineken, I can't find any of these in my hometown, sadly. (Granted, I live in a rather rural area.) I might take a selection of Dutch brands home next time I go there, so if you have any more recommendations, I'm open for them. :) We really run short at (good) Dutch beer in here.
(Make an educated guess as to where I had Amstel the first time in my life.
Should your guess be "the Balkans" for whatever dumb reason, you guessed right, kudos to you.)
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

Te Netherlands
Envoy

Postby Te Netherlands » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Lillorainen wrote:
Te Netherlands wrote:

Oii Dutchie,
Funnily enough, I can get to the Netherlands within an hour from my home (theoretically, at least, assuming, that there are no traffic jams anywhere in NRW, so at 2AM in a Sunday night, I might have a realistic chance to speak of), and aside from Heineken, I can't find any of these in my hometown, sadly. (Granted, I live in a rather rural area.) I might take a selection of Dutch brands home next time I go there, so if you have any more recommendations, I'm open for them. :) We really run short at (good) Dutch beer in here.
Should your guess be "the Balkans" for whatever dumb reason, you guessed right, kudos to you.)

For me the really "good" Dutch/Belgian (brewed in Belgian but sold in the Netherlands) is Holger, it has a soft taste, not too cold, not warm, just cold, of which I would definitely recommend you, The other good Dutch beer I know is Grolsch and Amstel. But the cheapest I can get is Holger (just € 0.20 + € 0.10 "Statiegeld" of which I don't know the English word of)

Lillorainen
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Te Netherlands wrote:
Lillorainen wrote:Oii Dutchie,

For me the really "good" Dutch/Belgian (brewed in Belgian but sold in the Netherlands) is Holger, it has a soft taste, not too cold, not warm, just cold, of which I would definitely recommend you, The other good Dutch beer I know is Grolsch and Amstel. But the cheapest I can get is Holger (just € 0.20 + € 0.10 "Statiegeld" of which I don't know the English word of)

Holger, enjoying cold, yet not ice-cold. Grolsch and Amstel - I know the latter, I remember having quite liked it. Trying to keep that in mind. ^^
I know Statiegeld - it's Pfand in German, but I'd have to look an English term up as well.
Bedankt! ^^
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General