NATION

PASSWORD

Trump stirs up the nativist pot (again)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:08 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
It's racist if you only make the claims against non-Caucasians. It's also rather unamerican to not criticize the government or politicals.

If Trump told most of the white foreigners in our government to fuck off back to their homelands, he'd be called an anti-semite.

Kellyanne does it better.

The chances that she didn knew about his background are neigh-on-zero.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:18 am

Nakena wrote:
Trump doubles down - again!

The absolute madman.

‘Send her back’: Trump batters Dem congresswomen on campaign trail - Trump's racist tweets distill into a 2020 campaign rallying cry.

In 2016, it was “lock her up."

In 2019, it's "send her back."

President Donald Trump doubled down on the go-back-to-where-you-came-from trope during a Wednesday rally in Greenville, N.C., laying into the four progressive House members who have styled themselves as the foil to the Republican president.

During his first rally since officially relaunching his re-election campaign, Trump spent more of his initial energy focusing on the four new Democratic members — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan — than his assorted 2020 presidential opponents. The rally was a campaign distillation of the racist tweets he had sent Sunday where he insisted the four members "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came."

"They are always telling us how to run it, how to do this," Trump said Wednesday of the Democratic freshmen. "You know what? If they don't love it, tell them to leave it."

Save for the occasional heckler, the crowd at East Carolina University seemed to enjoy his new campaign themes, chanting “send her back” and responding to other encouragement to make itself heard. It echoed the way crowds on the 2016 campaign trail delighted in chanting “lock her up” when Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton was mentioned, except none of the four congresswomen is running against him.

Most of Trump's complaints about the members were recycled attacks that have already garnered criticism for taking the members' words out of context. Trump accused Pressley of trying to monopolize the narratives of people of color and claimed Omar minimized the 9/11 attacks while sympathizing for Americans trying to join ISIS.

Trump mocked Ocasio-Cortez's name, saying "I don't have time to go with three different names. We will call her Cortez. It takes too much time." He also called her proposed Green New Deal a failure.

But the reaction to the old attacks was reshaped following Trump's Sunday tweets. When Trump mentioned Omar, the crowd exploded in chants of "Send her back!" One attendee shouted out: "Let's get rid of her!" Omar was born in Somalia and came to the United States as a child.

While Trump also went after his 2020 Democratic opponents, reviving the taunts "Sleepy Joe" and "Pocahontas" for rivals Joe Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, the four freshman Democrats — who have been branded as "the Squad" — were the primary initial targets.

"I just heard that the United States House of Representatives has overwhelmingly voted to kill the most ridiculous project I've ever been involved in, the resolution — how stupid is that — on impeachment," Trump said. Earlier in the day, 137 Democrats and 194 Republicans voted to delay the measure indefinitely.

"I want to thank those Democrats, because many of them voted for us," he said at the top of the rally.

The president distinguished those Democrats from the Squad, whom he characterized as un-American.

Trump later added of the House Democrats who didn't vote for immediate impeachment: "They are fine. And they — you know, you lose to them, it's different. It's OK. It's called normal political back-and-forth. But I want to tell you something. The Democrats are becoming so violent, so vicious, moving so far left, it's out of control."

Trump later called Democrats the party of "intolerance and division," whereas "the Republican Party is the party for all Americans and American values."

Le Sauce: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... ly-1418904

To be fair, he'll do anything to win re-election. And I know I'm going to have to hear since the family, especially the grandparents, watch Fox News. This is going to be a rough election.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:21 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
Its not racist to claim that someone has gone overboard in their criticism of a country that their patriotism and love for that country starts to come into question. There's nothing about it that's remotely racist. You can disagree with that conclusion without making the allegation that it's racist.

It's racist if you only make the claims against non-Caucasians. It's also rather unamerican to not criticize the government or politicals.

Like I said, there's nothing unpatriotic about criticising the government, but there comes a point where the degree of demonisation of your country becomes so severe it's hard to agree that this person loves that country. The fact that the Congresspersons on the receiving end are non-white is not in itself conclusive proof of racism or racial discrimination.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:22 am

Duvniask wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
It's racist if you only make the claims against non-Caucasians. It's also rather unamerican to not criticism the government or political.

Plus, it's non-Caucasians born and raised in the US, and in Ilhan Omar's case, she hasn't been to her country of birth since childhood.

Yes, and he was attacking their vociferous criticisms against the US, not the fact that they are non-white. You can disagree with his criticism of them without alleging racism without proof.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:23 am

Tobleste wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
Its not racist to claim that someone has gone overboard in their criticism of a country that their patriotism and love for that country starts to come into question. There's nothing about it that's remotely racist. You can disagree with that conclusion without making the allegation that it's racist.

Agreed but he told them to "go back" to the countries they "came from". Questioning patriotism is fine, telling non white congresswomen to go away to their 'real countries' isn't.

I've heard FoxNews anchors regularly say 'if you hate America then leave' to lots of liberal or left-wing activists who criticise the US on foreign policy or immigration issues, now maybe a valid point can be made that this talking point is exaggerated and overused but I'm just saying I don't think its inherently-racist. Stupid and overblown, maybe, but not racist.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:23 am

Zurkerx wrote:To be fair, he'll do anything to win re-election. And I know I'm going to have to hear since the family, especially the grandparents, watch Fox News. This is going to be a rough election.

Sounds like you're going to have some quite "fair-and-balanced" trumpian times ahead.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:24 am

Chestaan wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

The racist part was where he told them to leave the country. They aren't illegal immigrants, they are American citizens and so he has no reason to tell them to leave other than their skin colour.

Not being illegal immigrants just means they have a right to reside in the US without a visa, which means Trump cannot deport them. But he didn't order them deported, he made a point that if they hate the US, they should leave. Again, you may disagree with his claim that they do hate the US, maybe you think they don't, but him telling them to leave is based on an allegation that they hate or despise the US which is not an inherently-racist allegation, it can be lobbed against white people too.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:24 am

Nakena wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:To be fair, he'll do anything to win re-election. And I know I'm going to have to hear since the family, especially the grandparents, watch Fox News. This is going to be a rough election.

Sounds like you're going to have some quite "fair-and-balanced" trumpian times ahead.

I bet thanksgivings are fun.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:25 am

Nakena wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
If Trump told most of the white foreigners in our government to fuck off back to their homelands, he'd be called an anti-semite.

Kellyanne does it better.

The chances that she didn knew about his background are neigh-on-zero.

109 countries
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:27 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Jews did nothing wrong. High-IQ tribes are inherently awesome.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars
3. The rest of the Solar System (Solar System is Division 0)
4. 27 other divisions (Division 1-27)
An alliance of racially Northeast Asian countries friendly with White Nationalists, Zionists and nationalists in the Middle East and India.
We are an alliance of rich, safe and clean nations. Rapid scientific development, space exploration, modern cities, skyscrapers and high-speed trains..you will enjoy ultra-modern life if you come and visit us.
We were a Tier 7, Level 0, Type 8 civilization according to this index. Our old map News By 3173 we rule over the universe.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:29 am

Purgatio wrote:
Duvniask wrote:Plus, it's non-Caucasians born and raised in the US, and in Ilhan Omar's case, she hasn't been to her country of birth since childhood.

Yes, and he was attacking their vociferous criticisms against the US, not the fact that they are non-white. You can disagree with his criticism of them without alleging racism without proof.

If you were a white person born and raised in South Africa, and I attacked your criticism by telling you "go back to your own country, whitey", I suppose there would be no racism behind such a statement either, huh. Fact of the matter is, you don't attack someone's criticism of your country by invoking their otherness or suggesting they aren't "real" Americans. Invoking said otherness when they are of a different race screams racism.

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:31 am

Galiantus III wrote:
Tobleste wrote:
Well at least you're honest. About a third of America wants the same thing but won't admit it.

It would be quite convenient and self-affirming for you if that were the case, now wouldn't it? The far left needs the far right to justify its existence, and the far right needs the far left to justify its existence. Real life is boring. Very few people are far anything.

Some comments:

1. Both WNs and their black & brown counterparts should be classified as social far-rightists. We can't claim that Ustase is far-right and hence their enemies Chetniks are far-left or vice versa. That makes no sense.

2. Unfortunately social far-rightism is the default mode of humanity as it requires almost no thought.

3. Social far-rightism and economic far-leftism are correlated.

4. Social far-rightism and economic far-leftism correlate with low socioeconomic status. Social leftism and economic rightism correlate with high socioeconomic status.
Last edited by EastKekistan on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars
An alliance of racially Northeast Asian countries friendly with White Nationalists, Zionists and nationalists in the Middle East and India.
We are an alliance of rich, safe and clean nations. Rapid scientific development, space exploration, modern cities, skyscrapers and high-speed trains..you will enjoy ultra-modern life if you come and visit us.
We were a Tier 7, Level 0, Type 8 civilization according to this index. Our old map News By 3173 we rule over the universe.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:34 am

Duvniask wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

If you were a white person born and raised in South Africa, and I attacked your criticism by telling you "go back to your own country, whitey", I suppose there would be no racism behind such a statement either, huh. Fact of the matter is, you don't attack someone's criticism of your country by invoking their otherness or suggesting they aren't "real" Americans. Invoking said otherness when they are of a different race screams racism.

Funnily enough, I'm not white but I'm Asian (though not Asian-American, I'm Asian in an Asian country so maybe I don't know much about racial discrimination or being a minority) but I'm very much aware that there are racist people out there who will assume, because of the colour of your skin, that you aren't a citizen or don't belong in a particular country. But this isn't a case of a guy going up to an Asian-American and saying "you can't be an American citizen, you must be a Chinese/Japanese/Korean national", Trump didn't question the fact that these four women were legal American citizens, with a right by law to reside in the US territory without a visa and enjoy the rights of citizenship. He was making a non-binding observation that, in his view, these four women hated America (again, you don't have to agree with this statement of his) and that people who, in his view, hate America that much should not remain in the country they hate so much.

You can take the view that Trump is wrong about this, that these four women don't hate America, but I'm not sensing a racial element here. Maybe it was racist, I'm not a mind-reader, but I don't see why he shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:34 am

Purgatio wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Like I said, there's nothing unpatriotic about criticising the government, but there comes a point where the degree of demonisation of your country becomes so severe it's hard to agree that this person loves that country. The fact that the Congresspersons on the receiving end are non-white is not in itself conclusive proof of racism or racial discrimination.

Non-white criticism is a flag. It's only disproven if you can find him telling whites to love it or leave it.

I have not seen donnie or his supporters telling a white person to go back home. Or, in donnie-speak shit hole country.

Demonetization of the country falls under the 1st.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:34 am

Duvniask wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

Also, that statement in your example is racist because it says "whitey". If Trump had tweeted "Ilhan Omar should return to her country, blackey" obviously I'd say that's racist.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:36 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

Non-white criticism is a flag. It's only disproven if you can find him telling whites to love it or leave it.

I have not seen donnie or his supporters telling a white person to go back home. Or, in donnie-speak shit hole country.

You can't make assumptions about people's character just because they say something negative to someone who isn't white. If a boss tells an employee who is black that he's incompetent and should be fired you can't assume he's being racist because "the guy is black and it plays into an existing racial stereotype". Those two things alone aren't proof of anything.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:37 am

Purgatio wrote:
Duvniask wrote:If you were a white person born and raised in South Africa, and I attacked your criticism by telling you "go back to your own country, whitey", I suppose there would be no racism behind such a statement either, huh. Fact of the matter is, you don't attack someone's criticism of your country by invoking their otherness or suggesting they aren't "real" Americans. Invoking said otherness when they are of a different race screams racism.

Also, that statement in your example is racist because it says "whitey". If Trump had tweeted "Ilhan Omar should return to her country, blackey" obviously I'd say that's racist.

Whitey is/was a term in the US. Blackey never was. Right now donnie can't get too derogatory (ie nigger) as it's rather frowned on these days. Espcially in politics. They go the more subtle route.....
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:38 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

Whitey is/was a term in the US. Blackey never was. Right now donnie can't get too derogatory (ie nigger) as it's rather frowned on these days. Espcially in politics. They go the more subtle route.....

Democratic voters?
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:38 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

Rick Santorum though

Good things that neocons are deader than disco.
Last edited by Nakena on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:38 am

Duvniask wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

I have seen American Rennaisance folks oppose black nationalism in colonial Kenya. So yeah neither side is principled for a principled person can either consistently support majoritarianism or oppose it. AR people claim to support majoritarianism/nativism but they don't in practice. Same for the other side. So it is just all-out tribal interest maximization.
Last edited by EastKekistan on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:39 am

Purgatio wrote:
Chestaan wrote:
The racist part was where he told them to leave the country. They aren't illegal immigrants, they are American citizens and so he has no reason to tell them to leave other than their skin colour.

Not being illegal immigrants just means they have a right to reside in the US without a visa, which means Trump cannot deport them. But he didn't order them deported, he made a point that if they hate the US, they should leave. Again, you may disagree with his claim that they do hate the US, maybe you think they don't, but him telling them to leave is based on an allegation that they hate or despise the US which is not an inherently-racist allegation, it can be lobbed against white people too.

But he didn't use it against any white person. He could have said the same to Bernie Sanders or even Hillary Clinton, but he didn't.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:40 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

The problem with that is people end up reading racism into situations and comments where there is no proof they exist. Is it possible that Trump's tweets were racially-motivated? Of course its possible, but I'm not a mind-reader and in the absence of clear proof I don't think its fair to just assume that about anyone.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41 am

Purgatio wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

You can't make assumptions about people's character just because they say something negative to someone who isn't white. If a boss tells an employee who is black that he's incompetent and should be fired you can't assume he's being racist because "the guy is black and it plays into an existing racial stereotype". Those two things alone aren't proof of anything.

Hmmmm? You are making the assumptions here. donnie is a public figure and his comments are logged. So far; nothing found in the "go back home" variety for whites. Many many negative comments for non-whites.

As to your boss example? If the boss is calling him incompetent and he is not? Probably a racist. If he has a white employee who is equally incompetent and the boss does not directly call him that or even mention it? Probably a racist.....

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41 am

Chestaan wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

But he didn't use it against any white person. He could have said the same to Bernie Sanders or even Hillary Clinton, but he didn't.

Because the 2016 election is past and this is a tweet made in 2019 against four Congresswomen who recently won their seats and belong to a very liberal and far-left progressive faction of the Democratic Party that is recently rising in popularity amongst Democratic voters. So yes, it makes sense that in 2019 Trump's criticisms will be lobbed at politicians who are in the news and not a woman who ran for the Presidency 3 years prior.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:42 am

Loben The 2nd wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Democratic voters?

This bullshit now?
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General