NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread X: Boris' Big Bonkers Brexit Bash

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your favoured form of brexit?

Mays deal
5%
EFTA
6%
Some other sort of deal (please elaborate in the comments)
4%
Mays deal without Irish backstop
2%
No deal
23%
No deal+ (no deal minus NI and Scotland)
4%
I want a second referendum
37%
Revoke article 50 without even calling a referendum
19%

Total votes : 562

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
You don't have to have loyalty to the country. You just have to realise that the country owns things that you want and need, and that paying taxes is the price of access to those things. Similarly, I don't feel any loyalty to Aldi or to my landlord, but I still give both of them far more money than I give the government.

I don't see why you should have to buy into the whole thing though. If I have children they won't be going to state schools so why should I have to fund them? If I am sick I won't be going to an nhs hospital, and if there is some emergency which means I don't have the choice I can afford it...so why should I have to fund the nhs?

Because that's how the country has decided to charge for those services. Similarly, I can't just decide to only rent my flat on Tuesdays and Thursdays: it's all week, or nothing.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I don't see why you should have to buy into the whole thing though. If I have children they won't be going to state schools so why should I have to fund them? If I am sick I won't be going to an nhs hospital, and if there is some emergency which means I don't have the choice I can afford it...so why should I have to fund the nhs?

Because that's how the country has decided to charge for those services. Similarly, I can't just decide to only rent my flat on Tuesdays and Thursdays: it's all week, or nothing.

But if you wanted to you could pay the premium to rent a flat on certain days. It's called a short stay rental.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

But if you wanted to you could pay the premium to rent a flat on certain days. It's called a short stay rental.

Only if the owner allows it. Not all owners allow short stay rentals.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:32 pm

Novus America wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:But if you wanted to you could pay the premium to rent a flat on certain days. It's called a short stay rental.

Doesn't have to be the same flat.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:34 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Erm, no. The poor have infinitely more to lose than the rich.

Of course they don't, they have less assets to lose than the rich.
Depends how you spin it. Someone living month by month can lose what is compartatively a tiny amount for someone rich, and they've lost everything.

Meanwhile, someone rich lose 6 or 7 figures, and that's a *lot* but is it something someone who is rich could not recover from?
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:34 pm

Novus America wrote:

So then you must find another flat. You cannot use the flat that does not want to sell.

Move to Nauru or something.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

Sure, because someone is willing to provide that service. Nobody is willing to provide the service that you want without it being in a package, so you can't get it without paying for the package.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Novus America wrote:

And you don't have to stay in the same country.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Doesn't have to be the same flat.

That has always been the plan, however all countries charge for services I never plan to use. A fairer solution would be to allow for an opt-out of things that you don't want to use, with the catch that if you don't pay for it you can't use them.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Doesn't have to be the same flat.

Yup, if you want to live in the UK, you have to abide by the non stock member owned corporation that controls the UK (okay well with the UK it gets weird because the monarch and all that but functionally it works like a Republic for the most part).

It is really no different than say an HOA or Credit Union.
If you do not pay your dues, you do not get any benefits.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:44 pm

So many Conservatives in this debate standing up and saying it is inconceivable that the PM would not obey the law. Yet the PM keeps saying that he won't.
Everything is intertwinkled

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

That has always been the plan, however all countries charge for services I never plan to use. A fairer solution would be to allow for an opt-out of things that you don't want to use, with the catch that if you don't pay for it you can't use them.

Why is mandatory wholesale not allowed? The owner can sell under any conditions and any price it wants. It does not want to use your business model, why should it be forced to? Are you saying only certain business models are allowed?

And it is being a member of a non stock corporation. Not all sell membership a la carte. Few do.
You either are a member, or are not a member in most cases.

If nobody sells what you want to buy tough shit.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 pm

Following the ONS report that growth was effectively flat in three months to July, National Institute of Economic and Social Research now does not expect recession.
I mean economics is sometimes like reading tea leaves, but these are the most experience tea leaf readers in the UK.

I believe in order to be considered a recession, there have to be back-to-back quarters of negative growth.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Novus America wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:That has always been the plan, however all countries charge for services I never plan to use. A fairer solution would be to allow for an opt-out of things that you don't want to use, with the catch that if you don't pay for it you can't use them.

Why is mandatory wholesale not allowed? The owner can sell under any conditions and any price it wants. It does not want to use your business model, why should it be forced to? Are you saying only certain business models are allowed?

And it is being a member of a non stock corporation. Not all sell membership a la carte. Few do.

No, I've never supported mandatory wholesale. For example, if you want to rent a house, then you should be able to select from a list of furnature that is available if you'd like it included. If you've already got a sofa then you don't need to rent the owners sofa, do you?

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Novus America wrote:

No, I've never supported mandatory wholesale. For example, if you want to rent a house, then you should be able to select from a list of furnature that is available if you'd like it included. If you've already got a sofa then you don't need to rent the owners sofa, do you?

What if I don't want to rent you my goddamn furniture?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:51 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:No, I've never supported mandatory wholesale. For example, if you want to rent a house, then you should be able to select from a list of furnature that is available if you'd like it included. If you've already got a sofa then you don't need to rent the owners sofa, do you?

What if I don't want to rent you my goddamn furniture?

Then you advertise it as unfurnished don't you?

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
You don't have to have loyalty to the country. You just have to realise that the country owns things that you want and need, and that paying taxes is the price of access to those things. Similarly, I don't feel any loyalty to Aldi or to my landlord, but I still give both of them far more money than I give the government.

I don't see why you should have to buy into the whole thing though. If I have children they won't be going to state schools so why should I have to fund them? If I am sick I won't be going to an nhs hospital, and if there is some emergency which means I don't have the choice I can afford it...so why should I have to fund the nhs?

Because the NHS pays for the training of the doctors and nurses you'll be using in your private hospital. Training a doctor ain't cheap and there are no private services in the UK doing it as far as I know.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Novus America wrote:

No, that is silly. It would make renting it out too damn complicated.
Or what if you rented just the bathroom? Nobody else would want to rent the rest of the flat with a weird dude camping in the bathroom. So they will not rent just the bathroom. You get the whole flat usually. Even a room you might not use.

Why should they be required to use a unduly burdensome business model that would lose them money? Why should they not be able to rent out on the terms and conditions they find appropriate and that are in the contract?

You as the consumer do not have rights to unilaterally dictate contract terms.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I don't see why you should have to buy into the whole thing though. If I have children they won't be going to state schools so why should I have to fund them? If I am sick I won't be going to an nhs hospital, and if there is some emergency which means I don't have the choice I can afford it...so why should I have to fund the nhs?

Because the NHS pays for the training of the doctors and nurses you'll be using in your private hospital. Training a doctor ain't cheap and there are no private services in the UK doing it as far as I know.

>private services
I am imagining some American-style degree mill handing out medical certificates... *shudder*

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:09 pm

Novus America wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:No, I've never supported mandatory wholesale. For example, if you want to rent a house, then you should be able to select from a list of furnature that is available if you'd like it included. If you've already got a sofa then you don't need to rent the owners sofa, do you?

No, that is silly. It would make renting it out too damn complicated.
Or what if you rented just the bathroom? Nobody else should want to rent the rest of the flat with a weird dude camping in the bathroom.

Why should they be required to use a unduly burdensome business model that would lose them money? Why should they not be able to rent out on the terms and conditions they find appropriate and that are in the contract?

You as the consumer do not have rights to unilaterally dictate contract terms.

The model where you select your furnature is what my families company uses. It allows them to have a stock of furnature which they keep around, allows tenants to select varying styles should they want to change it etc. There's a fee for moving it but it's cheaper than buying a sofa if the landlord or previous tenant has left a shitty one in the house/flat, which is the choice most landlords give you. It's a very sensible approach for both landlord and tenant.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:10 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:

>private services
I am imagining some American-style degree mill handing out medical certificates... *shudder*

Private universities are a thing, but they're not a big thing in the UK. I don't see why they couldn't be though, might lead to more innovation from the medical profession.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:>private services

Private universities are a thing, but they're not a big thing in the UK. I don't see why they couldn't be though, might lead to more innovation from the medical profession.

Would you want the guy peddling "Miracle Mineral Supplement" having a medical certificate he could buy with his ill-begotten wealth?

MT/MagicT

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:

>private services

An American degree mill will not actually get you any real license.
Only legitimately accredited degrees work for a medical license.

The UK has no private medical schools at all?

But regardless GVH is still wrong. UK citizenship is not offered on a la carte basis.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:>private services

You do realise that the 5 year degree is just the start of being a doctor? They then do 2 foundation years training in the NHS before moving on to even more training, 3 year to be a GP, up to 7 to become a specialist in a hospital. All of this is paid for by the NHS while also providing them with salaries.

The total cost of training a GP is about half a million pounds.

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:15 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:The parliament shouldn't claim to represent anybody right now.

And also, the rich have a lot more to lose financially than the poor.

Sure, the rich are really suffering. Go to a food bank, and it's wall to wall hedge fund managers and CEOs. :roll:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General