NATION

PASSWORD

California Offers Healthcare Benefits To Illegal Immigrants

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Salandriagado
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18287
Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
I don't have an issue with that? My surgery keeps a certain number of appointments per day free for emergency appointments. I might not get the GP I want but I will get an appointment. Failing that I can just go to a walk in centre.

I've transferred between a number of gp surgeries and I've never seen that, the amount of times that the answer has effectively been 'What are you doing in 10 days time?' is unreal.


That's because you're asking for appointments for things that aren't urgent. If you want your non-urgent things treating quicker, feel free to pay: it's probably less than £30/month.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15421
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Were I still a resident of California, I wouldn't benefit from this. But the illegals probably will. This means higher taxes for those in California that do work. I hope the state gets flooded with illegals coming to "claim" these benefits and so much money is lost that it has to all be cancelled.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31787
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:But wouldn't you rather die wrapped in a cloud of painkillers rather than screaming in agony?


Pain is a sensation you can get used to or deal with. It is not impossible.


I've spent the last 2.5 years in pain from my ankle. 2 weeks back I got an injection that removed most of it. You don't get used to it. Dealing with it really isn't fun.

Don't speak of that you don't know.

User avatar
New haven america
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30981
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby New haven america » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:But wouldn't you rather die wrapped in a cloud of painkillers rather than screaming in agony?


Pain is a sensation you can get used to or deal with. It is not impossible.

Pain is a signal from your body that shit's going wrong in your body.

No, you don't get used to it, and people who don't feel pain rarely live past the age of 15 because they can't tell if something isn't working properly in their body or not.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2020

That's all folks~

User avatar
Tristainland
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 50
Founded: Jul 10, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tristainland » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Saiwania wrote:Were I still a resident of California, I wouldn't benefit from this. But the illegals probably will. This means higher taxes for those in California that do work. I hope the state gets flooded with illegals coming to "claim" these benefits and so much money is lost that it has to all be cancelled.


California is already suffering a net loss in domestic migration as more Americans leave the state because of the rising taxes, rising cost of living, and increasing incompetence of the liberal state government.

User avatar
New haven america
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30981
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby New haven america » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Tristainland wrote:
Saiwania wrote:Were I still a resident of California, I wouldn't benefit from this. But the illegals probably will. This means higher taxes for those in California that do work. I hope the state gets flooded with illegals coming to "claim" these benefits and so much money is lost that it has to all be cancelled.


California is already suffering a net loss in domestic migration as more Americans leave the state because of the rising taxes, rising cost of living, and increasing incompetence of the liberal state government.

Is that why the state grew from the 7th largest economy in the world to the 5th largest in the past few years? Because liberals just don't know how to run shit?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2020

That's all folks~

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31787
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Tristainland wrote:
Saiwania wrote:Were I still a resident of California, I wouldn't benefit from this. But the illegals probably will. This means higher taxes for those in California that do work. I hope the state gets flooded with illegals coming to "claim" these benefits and so much money is lost that it has to all be cancelled.


California is already suffering a net loss in domestic migration as more Americans leave the state because of the rising taxes, rising cost of living, and increasing incompetence of the liberal state government.


Source?

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 44009
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Tristainland wrote:
Saiwania wrote:Were I still a resident of California, I wouldn't benefit from this. But the illegals probably will. This means higher taxes for those in California that do work. I hope the state gets flooded with illegals coming to "claim" these benefits and so much money is lost that it has to all be cancelled.


California is already suffering a net loss in domestic migration as more Americans leave the state because of the rising taxes, rising cost of living, and increasing incompetence of the liberal state government.


Those are some nice big claims you can source.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
The Emerald Legion
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6410
Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Corporate Police State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:57 pm

New haven america wrote:
Tristainland wrote:
California is already suffering a net loss in domestic migration as more Americans leave the state because of the rising taxes, rising cost of living, and increasing incompetence of the liberal state government.

Is that why the state grew from the 7th largest economy in the world to the 5th largest in the past few years? Because liberals just don't know how to run shit?


Do you honestly somehow not get 'We happened to luck into having a nice climate which attracts rich people, which attracts industry' is not somehow a ringing endorsement of liberal policy?
"I must play this game by my rules/ I will conquer the world with my tools/ All my machines are made for destruction/ I will build my empire/ I will succeed and you will see/ With my machines there is no retreat." ~ E.G.G.M.A.N.
I frequently lapse into self parody, that isn't to say that I don't have extreme views, just that I occasionally go over the top for comedic effect.
Genivaria wrote:The Emerald Legion is NSG's personal Reaper.

The Drone Empire wrote:"Enlighten the willing, enslave the conquered, eradicate the defiant."
A typical Legionary strategy meeting.
The appropriate pronoun for me is It.
Philosophically Biophobic.

User avatar
Novus America
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23630
Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Novus America » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Not always. Also remember you can be efficient yet also ineffective.
One sized fits all is not always efficient and more rarely effective.


Why are you still pretending that "universal healthcare" means "one size fits all"?

The US primary education needs improvement in places. But is not an utter and complete disaster. In many places it is quite good.


Yes, it is.

And would you say Medicaid is an utter and complete disaster?


I don't know enough about it to comment.

Many EU countries have for for profit healthcare.


But also government-funded systems that work.

Also healthcare in the US also is a mixed system, consisting of for profit, non profits AND government administrated and supplied care.
So your knowledge of both the EU and US also needs work.


No, your ability to respond to what I actually said does.

Germany has a mixed system that is large decentralized in many aspects, states administer aspects of it. It works. In Canada healthcare is primarily administered at the Provincial level.


And this has precisely nothing to do with anything that I said.

And if you think rural Alaska and NYC have identical healthcare needs and concerns I am not sure what to say. You apparently do not understand the US at all.


Name a significant difference.


You never explained why healthcare in the US cannot, and should not be administered primarily at a state or lower level.
It should be. Yes universal healthcare need not be one sized fits all, it can be decentralized like in Germany.

And the US does have government funded healthcare. The issue is some people who do not have other care are not eligible for a government funded system.
Which is an issue. But the issue is not that private companies are involved too.

And easy difference in rural Alaska. Population density.
Many people in rural Alaska live in tiny villages and homesteads, accessible only by float planes.

Float plane based transportation is quite different from NYC in which all the population can be relatively near a big hospital.

"Alaska has been quite a story over the last few years. It's not like other states."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.or ... care-costs
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. Pragmatism is my ideology.

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76669
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Here's a challenge.

Wake up on a Monday morning and call a doctors surgery in the UK. Book an appointment.

Here's a challenge.

Do that in the US.

Short of going to the ER, most doctors won't get you in for any sort of appointment for weeks after you call, and once you get in, will schedule surgeries and the like for weeks after that.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Salandriagado
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18287
Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Novus America wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Why are you still pretending that "universal healthcare" means "one size fits all"?



Yes, it is.



I don't know enough about it to comment.



But also government-funded systems that work.



No, your ability to respond to what I actually said does.



And this has precisely nothing to do with anything that I said.



Name a significant difference.


You never explained why healthcare in the US cannot, and should not be administered primarily at a state or lower level.


Because I never claimed such a thing. I asked you to defend your assertion that it can only be done in that way, which you haven't done.

It should be. Yes universal healthcare need not be one sized fits all, it can be decentralized like in Germany.

And the US does have government funded healthcare. The issue is some people who do not have other care are not eligible for a government funded system.
Which is an issue. But the issue is not that private companies are involved too.


No, the issue is that private companies are the vast majority of it, which inflates prices beyond all reason.

And easy difference in rural Alaska. Population density.
Many people in rural Alaska live in tiny villages and homesteads, accessible only by float planes.

Float plane based transportation is quite different from NYC in which all the population can be relatively near a big hospital.


And the resulting fundamental difference in the healthcare requirements is what, exactly?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31787
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Novus America wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Why are you still pretending that "universal healthcare" means "one size fits all"?



Yes, it is.



I don't know enough about it to comment.



But also government-funded systems that work.



No, your ability to respond to what I actually said does.



And this has precisely nothing to do with anything that I said.



Name a significant difference.


You never explained why healthcare in the US cannot, and should not be administered primarily at a state or lower level.
It should be. Yes universal healthcare need not be one sized fits all, it can be decentralized like in Germany.

And the US does have government funded healthcare. The issue is some people who do not have other care are not eligible for a government funded system.
Which is an issue. But the issue is not that private companies are involved too.

And easy difference in rural Alaska. Population density.
Many people in rural Alaska live in tiny villages and homesteads, accessible only by float planes.

Float plane based transportation is quite different from NYC in which all the population can be relatively near a big hospital.


The NHS is dealt with in various areas. They are called Primary Trusts. Each has a budget and they spend said budget on what is most needed within their area of coverage. We do this in an area smaller than most of your states. I'm confident the US could manage it across your nation.

User avatar
New haven america
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30981
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby New haven america » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:04 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
New haven america wrote:Is that why the state grew from the 7th largest economy in the world to the 5th largest in the past few years? Because liberals just don't know how to run shit?


Do you honestly somehow not get 'We happened to luck into having a nice climate which attracts rich people, which attracts industry' is not somehow a ringing endorsement of liberal policy?

Well, under the Conservative Republican government the state went into debt and financial turmoil, housing prices got completely out of hand (A problem it still has), and shit just got worse until brown stepped in.

But of course, only Conservative Republicans can actually lead and do good things, anything Dems do is solely coincidental (Ain't that right, Reagan?) because they're to inept to actually do anything right. (I feel like I need to put an /s here just incase)
Last edited by New haven america on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2020

That's all folks~

User avatar
Salandriagado
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18287
Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Here's a challenge.

Wake up on a Monday morning and call a doctors surgery in the UK. Book an appointment.

Here's a challenge.

Do that in the US.

Short of going to the ER, most doctors won't get you in for any sort of appointment for weeks after you call, and once you get in, will schedule surgeries and the like for weeks after that.


More to the point: do that in the US, but tell them you don't intend to pay anything. Because that's what we're comparing to, here. If you don't like waiting for non-urgent things, just fill in the handy form on BUPA's website, pay them some single-digit percentage of the cost of equivalent cover in the US, and knock yourself out.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

User avatar
New haven america
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30981
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby New haven america » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Novus America wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Why are you still pretending that "universal healthcare" means "one size fits all"?



Yes, it is.



I don't know enough about it to comment.



But also government-funded systems that work.



No, your ability to respond to what I actually said does.



And this has precisely nothing to do with anything that I said.



Name a significant difference.


You never explained why healthcare in the US cannot, and should not be administered primarily at a state or lower level.
It should be. Yes universal healthcare need not be one sized fits all, it can be decentralized like in Germany.

And the US does have government funded healthcare. The issue is some people who do not have other care are not eligible for a government funded system.
Which is an issue. But the issue is not that private companies are involved too.

And easy difference in rural Alaska. Population density.
Many people in rural Alaska live in tiny villages and homesteads, accessible only by float planes.

Float plane based transportation is quite different from NYC in which all the population can be relatively near a big hospital.

"Alaska has been quite a story over the last few years. It's not like other states."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.or ... care-costs

Because they didn't claim to to begin with.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2020

That's all folks~

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15421
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Short of going to the ER, most doctors won't get you in for any sort of appointment for weeks after you call, and once you get in, will schedule surgeries and the like for weeks after that.


This is all the more reason to not be paying for health insurance and to not be going to the doctor for every little thing. Chances are, if anything is wrong with you- it'll go away if its not a big deal. If it doesn't, you weren't going to be cured anyways.

With insurance, you usually have to spend some rediculous amount like the first $5,000+ before an insurer will even pay anything for you. Most problems will be below that by design, so the net effect is that health insurance is just a money pit you don't benefit from unless you get a five to six figure problem paid for from having gone to the ER. There is no point in having it if you'll never be going to a medical center for any reason.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
New haven america
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30981
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby New haven america » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Here's a challenge.

Wake up on a Monday morning and call a doctors surgery in the UK. Book an appointment.

Pretty much no where on the planet are doctors that easy to get a hold of.

Unless it's an emergency you're going to have to wait a bit regardless of whether the system is private or universal.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2020

That's all folks~

User avatar
Novus America
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23630
Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Novus America » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Novus America wrote:
You never explained why healthcare in the US cannot, and should not be administered primarily at a state or lower level.


Because I never claimed such a thing. I asked you to defend your assertion that it can only be done in that way, which you haven't done.

It should be. Yes universal healthcare need not be one sized fits all, it can be decentralized like in Germany.

And the US does have government funded healthcare. The issue is some people who do not have other care are not eligible for a government funded system.
Which is an issue. But the issue is not that private companies are involved too.


No, the issue is that private companies are the vast majority of it, which inflates prices beyond all reason.

And easy difference in rural Alaska. Population density.
Many people in rural Alaska live in tiny villages and homesteads, accessible only by float planes.

Float plane based transportation is quite different from NYC in which all the population can be relatively near a big hospital.


And the resulting fundamental difference in the healthcare requirements is what, exactly?


Actually you are wrong. Private companies are not the vast majority of it. The government is nearly half of it.
https://www.crfb.org/papers/american-he ... ral-budget

"Alaska has been quite a story over the last few years. It's not like other states."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.or ... care-costs

Given states have very different concerns and needs the the DC government has little understanding of, and Constitutional issues means it definitely should not be centralized in DC.

You think providing, running and funding float plane based ambulance service for a state with extreme low population density, and providing healthcare in a very low density environment is not different than doing it in a hyper dense mega city?
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. Pragmatism is my ideology.

User avatar
Salandriagado
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18287
Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:14 pm

Novus America wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Because I never claimed such a thing. I asked you to defend your assertion that it can only be done in that way, which you haven't done.



No, the issue is that private companies are the vast majority of it, which inflates prices beyond all reason.



And the resulting fundamental difference in the healthcare requirements is what, exactly?


Actually you are wrong. Private companies are not the vast majority of it. The government is nearly half of it.
https://www.crfb.org/papers/american-he ... ral-budget


The vast majority of the provision, the vast majority of the profits, and service the vast majority of people. The government spending is just because of the fucking stupid setup where they pick up absurdly expensive emergency bills, rather than paying for preventative care.

"Alaska has been quite a story over the last few years. It's not like other states."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.or ... care-costs

Given states have very different concerns and needs the the DC government has little understanding of, and Constitutional issues means it definitely should not be centralized in DC.

You think providing, running and funding float plane based ambulance service for a state with extreme low population density, and providing healthcare in a very low density environment is not different than doing it in a hyper dense mega city?


Answer the fucking question.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

User avatar
Novus America
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23630
Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Novus America » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Novus America wrote:
You never explained why healthcare in the US cannot, and should not be administered primarily at a state or lower level.
It should be. Yes universal healthcare need not be one sized fits all, it can be decentralized like in Germany.

And the US does have government funded healthcare. The issue is some people who do not have other care are not eligible for a government funded system.
Which is an issue. But the issue is not that private companies are involved too.

And easy difference in rural Alaska. Population density.
Many people in rural Alaska live in tiny villages and homesteads, accessible only by float planes.

Float plane based transportation is quite different from NYC in which all the population can be relatively near a big hospital.


The NHS is dealt with in various areas. They are called Primary Trusts. Each has a budget and they spend said budget on what is most needed within their area of coverage. We do this in an area smaller than most of your states. I'm confident the US could manage it across your nation.


Oh we could implement a decentralized system administered locally.
The important thing to understand is states have tax and spending powers.
So if one state needs or wants to contribute more to Medicaid it can create its own taxes to do so.
States have their own money.

So a state administered system ensures states can raise additional funds via taxes.

It is very possible to ensure universal healthcare in the US, but running it all from DC would be horrible, and run into a variety of issues.

The best way would be to merge Medicaid, Medicare and CHIP into a single program that like Medicaid would be a joint state and federal program, with everyone not having insurance being eligible.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. Pragmatism is my ideology.

User avatar
Novus America
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23630
Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Novus America » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Actually you are wrong. Private companies are not the vast majority of it. The government is nearly half of it.
https://www.crfb.org/papers/american-he ... ral-budget


The vast majority of the provision, the vast majority of the profits, and service the vast majority of people. The government spending is just because of the fucking stupid setup where they pick up absurdly expensive emergency bills, rather than paying for preventative care.

"Alaska has been quite a story over the last few years. It's not like other states."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.or ... care-costs

Given states have very different concerns and needs the the DC government has little understanding of, and Constitutional issues means it definitely should not be centralized in DC.

You think providing, running and funding float plane based ambulance service for a state with extreme low population density, and providing healthcare in a very low density environment is not different than doing it in a hyper dense mega city?


Answer the fucking question.


Actually a large number of the hospitals are owned by the federal or local government.
And other places like Germany also rely largely on the private sector.

Yes overuse of emergency rooms instead of preventive care is a problem, but could just as equally be a problem if the government owned more emergency rooms than it already does (which is a large number).

I answered your question. Also the article discusses some of the details.

When your population is so spread out, and transport so different, you need a different healthcare system then you do in New York City.

A few large hospitals can be accessed by the whole NYC population.

Largest hospitals will not work in rural Alaska. You need mobile doctors and a float plane based system to transport them and patients instead of large hospitals with conventional ambulances.

As just one example.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. Pragmatism is my ideology.

User avatar
Tristainland
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 50
Founded: Jul 10, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tristainland » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:34 pm

New haven america wrote:
Tristainland wrote:
California is already suffering a net loss in domestic migration as more Americans leave the state because of the rising taxes, rising cost of living, and increasing incompetence of the liberal state government.

Is that why the state grew from the 7th largest economy in the world to the 5th largest in the past few years? Because liberals just don't know how to run shit?


That is all thanks to the fact it is in the United States. If it seceded, California will quickly go down the toilet as most of it "exports" are nothing more than products from other states that are just passing through California to take advantage of its Pacific ports.
Last edited by Tristainland on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Greater vakolicci haven
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11826
Founded: May 09, 2014
Anarchy

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:04 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I've transferred between a number of gp surgeries and I've never seen that, the amount of times that the answer has effectively been 'What are you doing in 10 days time?' is unreal.


That's because you're asking for appointments for things that aren't urgent. If you want your non-urgent things treating quicker, feel free to pay: it's probably less than £30/month.

I've started to overblow my symptoms when talking to the receptionist so I get put higher up the queue.

User avatar
Great Minarchistan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5642
Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:37 pm

New haven america wrote:
Tristainland wrote:
California is already suffering a net loss in domestic migration as more Americans leave the state because of the rising taxes, rising cost of living, and increasing incompetence of the liberal state government.

Is that why the state grew from the 7th largest economy in the world to the 5th largest in the past few years? Because liberals just don't know how to run shit?

California has been consistently outperformed by Texas economically speaking, as a tongue-in-cheek comment. Which isn't really surprising tbh
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aggicificicerous, Ameriganastan, Auzkhia, Bienenhalde, Bombadil, Cegorvia, Forsher, Gormwood, Jack Thomas Lang, Nanatsu no Tsuki, Necroghastia, Novus America, Scomagia, Serbia-Macedonia, Tlaceceyaya, US-SSR

Advertisement

Remove ads