NATION

PASSWORD

Should Slavery/Indentured Servitude be brought back?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Economically or Societally speaking, unfree labor is...

Good
9%
Bad
85%
Neither
3%
Other (Explain)
3%

Total votes : 277

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Kernen wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Did you read what I ssid?

Yep.
Kernen wrote:No, you can't. Voluntarily choosing to labor for another without compensation is not servitude in the context of slavery discussions. Doing so without the ability to revoke the initial arrangement is servitude. One is a gratuitous performance revocable at any time. The other is not.

In Islamic slavery you can revoke servitude.

Then it isn't slavery. Its a gratuitous performance.

Slavery is a harm, regardless of the circumstances.[/quote]
We've had this conversation with Amin over and over again. Basically Islamic slavery allows slaves to sign a contract with their master setting a price to buy their freedom, and Shariah courts are required to honor it. Somehow this makes islamic slavery fundamentally different from every other form of ancient slavery and also not exploitative.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:51 pm

Plzen wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:This sounds like semantics

I see absolutely no reason not to have well-defined terms in a discussion. Vague concepts are good for nothing except the justification of absurdities.

I agree with you but the saying that slaves having the power to not be a slave anymore and making the whole process not slavery sounds like a minuscule difference to me.
Diopolis wrote:We've had this conversation with Amin over and over again. Basically Islamic slavery allows slaves to sign a contract with their master setting a price to buy their freedom, and Shariah courts are required to honor it. Somehow this makes islamic slavery fundamentally different from every other form of ancient slavery and also not exploitative.

Among other things yes. Idk of any other type of slavery that has what Islamic slavery has.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:52 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Plzen wrote:I see absolutely no reason not to have well-defined terms in a discussion. Vague concepts are good for nothing except the justification of absurdities.

I agree with you but the saying that slaves having the power to not be a slave anymore and making the whole process not slavery sounds like a minuscule difference to me.
Diopolis wrote:We've had this conversation with Amin over and over again. Basically Islamic slavery allows slaves to sign a contract with their master setting a price to buy their freedom, and Shariah courts are required to honor it. Somehow this makes islamic slavery fundamentally different from every other form of ancient slavery and also not exploitative.

Among other things yes. Idk of any other type of slavery that has what Islamic slavery has.

Does Islam have a specific "slavery" aspect, or are we refering to the Arab Slave Trade?

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Celritannia wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:I agree with you but the saying that slaves having the power to not be a slave anymore and making the whole process not slavery sounds like a minuscule difference to me.

Does Islam have a specific "slavery" aspect, or are we refering to the Arab Slave Trade?

I'm talking about Islamic slavery, as in slavery according to the teachings of Al-Islam.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:54 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Kernen wrote:Yep.

Then what's the problem?
Kernen wrote:Then it isn't slavery. Its a gratuitous performance.

This sounds like semantics

It is semantics, insofar as it clarifies the nature of the relationship.

If you volunteer to perform gratuitously, you bear the power to unilaterally revoke at any time.

If you are subject to servitude, you lack the power to unilaterally revoke and not perform. That is what is harmful.

To the extent that islamic slavery places obligations on the servitor that cannot be unilaterally revoked without penalty, it is harmful. Otherwise, it isn't slavery, and you're misrepresenting the nature of the relationship.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:54 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Plzen wrote:I see absolutely no reason not to have well-defined terms in a discussion. Vague concepts are good for nothing except the justification of absurdities.

Under the law in antebellum Louisianna, similar contracts were protected legally and slave's funds had added protection from embezzlement by their masters. That's just one example.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:56 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

I'm talking about Islamic slavery, as in slavery according to the teachings of Al-Islam.

Well, many cultures did similar things to this. Al-Islam slavery was no different to other nations winning slaves from captured soldiers.
Not to mention, it is still slavery, no matter how well treated the individual is.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:56 pm

If you've incurred an obligation and secured it with labor and perform with that labor, thats all well and good. If you've secured an obligation and secured it with labor and then choose to not perform, you can be liable for damages (subject to equity), but nobody can, or should, force you to perform. Its the difference between contract power and actual slavery. Holding that out as slavery is inconsistent with the core concept of slavery. I'm struggling to see how anybody could end up confused by that. Have you really gone on and on about it?
Last edited by Kernen on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Ah I love it when people try to justify selling people like property and forcing them to do back breaking labor without pay and punishing them if they don´t is okay because of some minor difference like how the slaves(despite making no money) can apparently pay for their freedom. :roll:
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Kernen wrote:

If you've incurred an obligation and secured it with labor and perform with that labor, thats all well and good. If you've secured an obligation and secured it with labor and then choose to not perform, you can be liable for damages (subject to equity), but nobody can, or should, force you to perform. Its the difference between contract power and actual slavery. Holding that out as slavery is inconsistent with the core concept of slavery. I'm struggling to see how anybody could end up confused by that. Have you really gone on and on about it?

Amin and I have gone over multiple aspects of Islamic slavery at length with no change of views.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:00 pm

Kernen wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Then what's the problem?

This sounds like semantics

It is semantics, insofar as it clarifies the nature of the relationship.

If you volunteer to perform gratuitously, you bear the power to unilaterally revoke at any time.

If you are subject to servitude, you lack the power to unilaterally revoke and not perform. That is what is harmful.

To the extent that islamic slavery places obligations on the servitor that cannot be unilaterally revoked without penalty, it is harmful. Otherwise, it isn't slavery, and you're misrepresenting the nature of the relationship.

Well, said slave can get it revoked. There's a difference of opinion on the revocation but the 2 rulings are that either the slave's request for freedom must be upheld, or that slave must prove himself/herself worthy of freedom.
Diopolis wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:I agree with you but the saying that slaves having the power to not be a slave anymore and making the whole process not slavery sounds like a minuscule difference to me.

Under the law in antebellum Louisianna, similar contracts were protected legally and slave's funds had added protection from embezzlement by their masters. That's just one example.

What about the other things I mentioned?:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:Islamic slaves had rights, as did chinese and persian ones, to an extent. It was still a brutally inhumane system

No it wasn't and isn't. Slaves can't be mistreated in any way, shape or form and if they are, the punishment on the master is manumission. If the slave is hit, they have the right to hit the master in the same way the master hit them. They should be given mukaatabah if they request their freedom as well. On top that, the master should help the slave if said slave needs it. Also the master and the slave should live on equal standing.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:01 pm

The actual amount of able bodied American adults without work is more like 19%. Unemployment as per the government's statistics is simply who is not working but looking for a job. 4% of Americans being unemployed doesn't mean the other 96% are working. It simply can mean a large amount of people gave up, and the government was more than eager to chalk up the statistics in a way to make things look less hopeless

As for slavery, I think this is a downright horrible idea that would lead inevitably to either a civil war or at least terrorism. You can't force people to work and expect them to go along with the program or their families or friends to. Someone is inevitably gonna decide to go rogue and once again we will have a John Brown incident at best and civil war at worst. Human beings should not be forced by the government to work. That is literally pol pot Cambodia in a nutshell. It's draconian, authoritarian and oppressive to many of our citizens
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Volnaya Territoriya
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnaya Territoriya » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Unfortunately, indentured servitude is still legal in most if not all countries. "Internships", are one example, not to mention the fact that almost all jobs look at how many years you've worked in the field, as opposed to your actual skills, and therefore give people laughably low pay rates for a long period of time.
Based on the real life nation called Free Territory. Since I am too lazy/procrastinating to do dispatches and info on it, here's the wikipedia article about it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Territory

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:04 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Kernen wrote:It is semantics, insofar as it clarifies the nature of the relationship.

Well, said slave can get it revoked. There's a difference of opinion on the revocation but the 2 rulings are that either the slave's request for freedom must be upheld, or that slave must prove himself/herself worthy of freedom.

That suggests that unilateral revocation is not acceptable in either case. If the slave requests freedom, that implies the request may be denied. A unilateral power to revoke is not subject to request, it is asserted.

As with proving oneself worthy, that is a subjective standard analyzed by the slaveowner and not at the unilateral demand of the slave.

Now you're back into slaverytown. Either the power of the performer to terminate the relationship is unilateral and immediate or it isn't.

Lawful Evil

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Military Lands of the Scottish People wrote:People saying no to Indentured Servitude fail to realize the benefits. Now I wholeheartedly disagree with it when put against those in debt, however what I do agree is using those in jail or those who committed a crime. Murderers, rapists, and things such as that should not receive that option, however lighter crimes but still long in length, should. Capitalism would likely abuse the system, however, so a well monitored and regulated one is needed for it to work, but nothing in life turns out the way it should, therefore perhaps it is not wise until a true, honest to God government that truly works for the people is in place.

...Which never has, nor will it ever, exist.

Government for the people and by the people can only exist in a small society. Large nations like America almost always end up with the elites becoming detached from the populace
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Celritannia wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:I'm talking about Islamic slavery, as in slavery according to the teachings of Al-Islam.

Well, many cultures did similar things to this. Al-Islam slavery was no different to other nations winning slaves from captured soldiers.
Not to mention, it is still slavery, no matter how well treated the individual is.

Yes, I know it's still slavery. But to Kernen it isn't.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:07 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Oh you want slavery back? Okay Sai hop into the wheatfields your my slave, do what master says now boy, and if you slip up ill beat you within an inch of your life and whip you, oh its soo beneficial to have slavery back right?

Fucking christ, also lol:
One controversial opinion some people have about slavery historically speaking is: "What are Blacks complaining about? They got free room and board in exchange for some free labor." And this is a sentiment I can partially understand, even though it is brash and insensitive.
The fucking Nazi finds the sentiment of "Shut up blacks what were you complaining about, you had no rights and were treated like fucking dogshit and even killed but you had a roof" to be understandable.

I don't care if they dress me in the finest clothes and give me a nice pair of shades and a feast for dinner. Does anyone wanna live behind barbed wire and pick cotton forever and never be able to choose how they want to live or be able to read? Slavery is wrong because it denies someone their humanity and treats them As a beast of burden. Doesn't matter how nice the slave master was, it's still wrong. And they weren't all so kind either
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:07 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Are you still trying to justify selling people like property and then forcing them to do back breaking labor without pay? Good lord.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Kernen wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Well, said slave can get it revoked. There's a difference of opinion on the revocation but the 2 rulings are that either the slave's request for freedom must be upheld, or that slave must prove himself/herself worthy of freedom.

That suggests that unilateral revocation is not acceptable in either case. If the slave requests freedom, that implies the request may be denied. A unilateral power to revoke is not subject to request, it is asserted.

As with proving oneself worthy, that is a subjective standard analyzed by the slaveowner and not at the unilateral demand of the slave.

Now you're back into slaverytown. Either the power of the performer to terminate the relationship is unilateral and immediate or it isn't.

Slavery was never voluntary, in any nation, at any time.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Kernen wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Well, said slave can get it revoked. There's a difference of opinion on the revocation but the 2 rulings are that either the slave's request for freedom must be upheld, or that slave must prove himself/herself worthy of freedom.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that part. It must be upheld upon the request.
Kernen wrote:As with proving oneself worthy, that is a subjective standard analyzed by the slaveowner and not at the unilateral demand of the slave.

I know, I haven't looked what the guidelines are
Kernen wrote:Now you're back into slaverytown. Either the power of the performer to terminate the relationship is unilateral and immediate or it isn't.

Either way it's still slavery imo
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:11 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Its not hard. The hallmark of slavery is the complete inability of the slave to end the state of servitude at will. Everything else is just slavery with extra steps.

Its inherent in the competing rights. Just because you want to slap your god's label on it doesn't change the nature of the relationship.
Last edited by Kernen on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawful Evil

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:11 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Kernen wrote:

Those are called volunteers. Slavery is like being a volunteer against your will

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Kernen wrote:

Duh. Which is why the voluntary nature of ending the relationship defines whether it is slavery or not.

Lawful Evil

Reru Tanda
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Reru Tanda » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Just no. Everyone is a human being, not property.
Minecraft is better than Fortnite.

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 09, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Holy Marsh » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:14 pm

No, and the arguments presented haphazardly and poorly throughout the topic do little else than convince me that anyone who supports slavery in the modern day is a moron of the highest order.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General