NATION

PASSWORD

Canadian Politics

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you intend to vote for in the next Federal General Election?

Liberals
13%
Conservatives
29%
NDP
29%
Bloc Quebecois
6%
Greens
4%
PPC
5%
None of the above (please explain why in the thread)
14%

Total votes : 249

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:16 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Making a promise you know you cannot keep is lying.
He signed on to those targets despite having absolutely no plan to meet them, regardless of the reason. If Canada’s federal systems makes the agreement doomed he should not have signed it knowing it was doomed.
Besides how does him promising to do something he cannot do make him good?

Actually respecting the fallen might be, but this does not require going on vacation.
Does he actually respect? I doubt it considering he does not understand it given his silver spoon life and lack of military service.
And anybody can do that. Does not make him any better than millions of other people.

So we are still at weed.
Yeah he helped get you your weed. Now he has no more use.

He did everything he could to fulfil his end of the promise without overstepping the boundaries between Provincial and Federal government.

What was he supposed to do, declare a national emergency and commit drastic measures to lower emissions? Tax hike on Gas? No thanks, I don't want Canada to end up like France.

Actually, he does. He reenacts battles from 1812 and The Battle of Vimy Ridge.
Anybody can, but he did. Unlike a certain other leader who leads another allied nation from WW1 beacuse of light rain.

So you admit he could increase gas taxes!
So you admit he could do something!

Maybe you do not want him to do that, but then the honest thing to do would be say he is unable to sign the agreement as Canada is unable to abide by it. That is what he was supposed to do.

How is promising to do something and not doing it good?

And you admit something could be done, just you are not willing to actually pay for it.

Re-enactments are not anything close to understanding actual military service.
And now you are just doing the “better than Trump”.
Relative privation is not a valid argument as Trudeau is NOT running against Trump!

Better than Trump means absolutely nothing here unless Trump is running for Prime Minister of Canada.
Last edited by Novus America on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:00 am

Novus America wrote:
He did everything he could to fulfil his end of the promise without overstepping the boundaries between Provincial and Federal government.

What was he supposed to do, declare a national emergency and commit drastic measures to lower emissions? Tax hike on Gas? No thanks, I don't want Canada to end up like France.

Actually, he does. He reenacts battles from 1812 and The Battle of Vimy Ridge.
Anybody can, but he did. Unlike a certain other leader who leads another allied nation from WW1 beacuse of light rain.

Maybe you do not want him to do that, but then the honest thing to do would be say he is unable to sign the agreement as Canada is unable to abide by it. That is what he was supposed to do.

And you admit something could be done, just you are not willing to actually pay for it.

Relative privation is not a valid argument as Trudeau is NOT running against Trump!

Better than Trump means absolutely nothing here unless Trump is running for Prime Minister of Canada.

Both suggestions where ludacris overstepping of boundaries and political suicide.

Raising gas taxes would be just incredibly stupid.

The simple fact is that this is a province issue not a federal one.

Dude, even a former enemy of the allies in WW1 showed up to pay respects to there troops.

He respects history and what our army went thru to serve.
This is an international comparison of leaders giving a shit about who died for there country.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:25 am

Novus America wrote:

Both suggestions where ludacris overstepping of boundaries and political suicide.

Dude, even a former enemy of the allies in WW1 showed up to pay respects to there troops.

This is an international comparison of leaders giving a shit about who died for there country.

If it is provincial issue then why sign the agreement?
You are still promising to do something you cannot do.
And sure actually enforcing the agreement would be political suicide.
But again why sign an agreement you cannot enforce?

You are still admitting he agreed to do something and then failed to do it for political reasons.

It is better to just be honest. Do not make promises you cannot keep.
He should have never signed an agreement he had no way of keeping.

If I promise to give you a million dollars the fact that I cannot give you a million dollars does not make it less of a lie.

If you sign an agreement then violate it you are harming the agreement more than if you never signed it at all. If you cannot avoid violating it DO NOT agree to it in the first place!

“To be good, it is not enough to be better than the worst.”
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Even if he is better than some other world leaders that does not make him good.
Especially when he is not running against them.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:33 am

What's the game plan for the People's Party? Take votes from the Conservatives and let the Liberals win more seats?
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dresderstan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:35 am

Hakons wrote:What's the game plan for the People's Party? Take votes from the Conservatives and let the Liberals win more seats?

Apparently so, they're basically the Libertarian party 2.0 in Canada.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:37 am

Novus America wrote:

You are still admitting he agreed to do something and then failed to do it for political reasons.

If I promise to give you a million dollars the fact that I cannot give you a million dollars does not make it less of a lie.

If you sign an agreement then violate it you are harming the agreement more than if you never signed it at all. If you cannot avoid violating it DO NOT agree to it in the first place!

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Beacuse he can indeed set fedral standards and targits for the provincial goverments to act on.

He however can not boss around provincial goverments just beacuse they failed to meet a targit.

Again, you are makeing a provincial issue a fedral issue. You want to blame the provinces for this fine but do not blame the feds for something the provinces failed to do.

If he is doing something better then what bad leaders are doing, then he might be on to something.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:45 am

Novus America wrote:

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Beacuse he can indeed set fedral standards and targits for the provincial goverments to act on.

He however can not boss around provincial goverments just beacuse they failed to meet a targit.

Again, you are makeing a provincial issue a fedral issue. You want to blame the provinces for this fine but do not blame the feds for something the provinces failed to do.

If he is doing something better then what bad leaders are doing, then he might be on to something.

If emissions are really a provincial issue, then the provinces, not the federal government should be signing or not signing the agreement. He made it a Federal issue when the federal government signed the agreement!

Setting targets is fine. Promising to do something you will not or cannot do is not.
You can set targets without signing the agreement you know.

He should not have promised to do something he could not do. It is that simple.
Simply say over and over again he cannot do it does not change that.

And again being better than a bad leader does not make you good.
Nobody claimed he is the worst world leader.

But he is still not good just by virtue of the fact that he is not the worst.

Besides it does not matter. What matters is whether or not he is better than the other possible candidates for Canadian Prime minister.

If your best argument is “well at least I am not the worst person in the world” I am still not voting for you.
Again that does not make him good.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:03 am

Novus America wrote:

If emissions are really a provincial issue, then the provinces, not the federal government should be signing or not signing the agreement. He made it a Federal issue when the federal government signed the agreement!

Setting targets is fine. Promising to do something you will not or cannot do is not.

Besides it does not matter. What matters is whether or not he is better than the other possible candidates for Canadian Prime minister.

If your best argument is “well at least I am not the worst person in the world” I am still not voting for you.

The provences have no resprestation at the UN. They can not sign the agreement. Add to that the fact that they have no controll over fredral govermemt standers and targits to redice emmtions.

He did everything he could do within the boundrys of the office of prime minster. This is on the provences for not meeting that goal.

He is a fine primminster that I see no reason not to relect.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:59 am

Novus America wrote:

The provences have no resprestation at the UN. They can not sign the agreement. Add to that the fact that they have no controll over fredral govermemt standers and targits to redice emmtions.

He did everything he could do within the boundrys of the office of prime minster. This is on the provences for not meeting that goal.

He is a fine primminster that I see no reason not to relect.

Then nobody should have signed it.

Besides you ADMIT the federal government does have the power to increase taxes on energy!
You admit he failed to enforce the agreement for political reasons.

Again how is signing and agreement and then not abiding by it actually good?
Stop arguing it is a purely provincial issue, it is irrelevant and wrong.

Promising what you cannot deliver is bad.
How is promising what you cannot do good?

You have failed to actually explain why he should be considered good beyond weed, signing a agreement then not following it, and going to an event a bunch of other people went to.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:48 pm

If the NDP holds onto Burnaby South and Outremont it will really help the NDP and be a thorn in the sides of the Liberals and maybe even the Conservatives. But if the Liberals win those seats, it hurts the NDP and the Conservatives, and bolsters the Liberals. I say if the NDP hold both the Liberals chance of holding a majority is shrunk to a minority and possibly hold onto government for less than 2 years. If the Liberals gain them, it hurts the opposition and the Liberals chance of holding a majority increases. If they gain one but fail to gain another... I'd say it'd be pretty evenly split, but obviously the Liberals want Burnaby South more to hurt the NDP more. If they do that, it hurt's the leadership of Jagmeet Singh and the NDP will probably have to go a round of filling in the leadership role before the election, leaving them in disarray and let the Tories and Liberals tear the NDP to shreds.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Hakons wrote:What's the game plan for the People's Party? Take votes from the Conservatives and let the Liberals win more seats?

FEEL THE BERN...ier
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:40 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Raising gas taxes would be just incredibly stupid.

If this were handled at the provincial level, provinces that refuse to tax gasoline would be gaining a competitive advantage for their refusal to act on climate change. They'd be rewarded for polluting the environment, and every other province would be punished for caring about it.

The Liberated Territories wrote:

FEEL THE BERN...ier

What's the point of power if you're never going to wield it? If winning elections means you're just as subordinate to someone else's agenda as an opposition member without the opportunity to grandstand against it (remember, members of cabinet are supposedly expected to project an image of solidarity) then what are you winning for?
Last edited by LimaUniformNovemberAlpha on Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:1. The PRC is not a Communist State, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
2. The CCP is not a Communist Party, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
3. Xi Jinping and his cronies are not Communists, as they have shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.

How do we know this? Because the first step toward Communism is Socialism, and none of the aforementioned are even remotely Socialist in any way, shape, or form.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:04 am

Novus America wrote:Then nobody should have signed it.

Besides you ADMIT the federal government does have the power to increase taxes on energy!
You admit he failed to enforce the agreement for political reasons.

Again how is signing and agreement and then not abiding by it actually good?
Stop arguing it is a purely provincial issue, it is irrelevant and wrong.

Promising what you cannot deliver is bad.
How is promising what you cannot do good?

You have failed to actually explain why he should be considered good beyond weed, signing a agreement then not following it, and going to an event a bunch of other people went to.

He didn't do it beacuse he doesn't want this to happen here.

Increasing taxes is something that he could have done, yes. But it would have been incredibly unpopular, stupid, and just start riots.

In short, doing so would have fucked the country up. So it was really never a logical option. Or a sane option. Or a workable realistic option.

It is a provincial issue. The provincial governments failed to decrease emissions by the federal government targets. It is just that simple.
You are bending this out of proportion to blame him for something he could not control without doing something incredibly stupid.

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:11 am

Derpy, Novus enough.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:55 am

Dresderstan wrote:Derpy, Novus enough.

Fair enough.
We are not getting anywhere.
And obviously he will support Trudeau on anything, no matter what.
I am not going to convince him, and we are just saying the same thing over and over again.

Though is his view that pollution is a solely provincial matter actually the policy of the Liberals?

If so the Liberals in Canada are actually more right wing on pollution than American Democrats.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:59 am

Novus America wrote:

Fair enough.
We are not getting anywhere.
And obviously he will support Trudeau on anything, no matter what.
I am not going to convince him, and we are just saying the same thing over and over again.

Then don't, otherwise it piles up everything else in this thread that is actually worthwhile and it starts to act like useless spam.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Right, sorry

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:29 am

Random question, Parliament was on recess about a week before Christmas and returned back to the capital about a week ago, so why was the winter break so long, well over a month no less?

Slarvainian
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Slarvainian » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:30 am

Dresderstan wrote:Random question, Parliament was on recess about a week before Christmas and returned back to the capital about a week ago, so why was the winter break so long, well over a month no less?

This is normal.

Edit: I think the expectation for the long breaks is that the MPs will go back to their ridings and spend some time listening to their constituents. Also gives them time to take on family roles more. Not everyone is living in Ottawa with them.
Last edited by Slarvainian on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
V: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy. And ideas are bulletproof.

Sophist, Ironist, the po-mo-neo-marxist Jordan Peterson warned you about.

I really enjoy talking ideas with people so feel free to TG me.

Slarvainian
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Slarvainian » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:35 am

Am I the only one that thinks the PPC could do some damage this election? I do see a scenario where they actually form government but at this point I don't think saying 2-3 dozen seats is that unrealistic. This is mostly based off how I think Trudeau, Singh and Scheer might project over the next six months.
V: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy. And ideas are bulletproof.

Shrillland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shrillland » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:38 am

Slarvainian wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the PPC could do some damage this election? I do see a scenario where they actually form government but at this point I don't think saying 2-3 dozen seats is that unrealistic. This is mostly based off how I think Trudeau, Singh and Scheer might project over the next six months.

Well, the national polls still have them at just around 1%, and Bernier himself is about the only one that seems like he'll hold a seat, so no I don't think they'll do damage at this juncture, but we are still eight months out.
How America Came to This, by Kowani: Racialised Politics, Ideological Media Gaslighting, and What It All Means For The Future
Plebiscite Plaza 2024
Confused by the names I use for House districts? Here's a primer!
In 1963, Doctor Who taught us all we need to know about politics when a cave woman said, "Old men see no further than tomorrow's meat".

Slarvainian
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Slarvainian » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:46 am

Shrillland wrote:
Slarvainian wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the PPC could do some damage this election? I do see a scenario where they actually form government but at this point I don't think saying 2-3 dozen seats is that unrealistic. This is mostly based off how I think Trudeau, Singh and Scheer might project over the next six months.

Well, the national polls still have them at just around 1%, and Bernier himself is about the only one that seems like he'll hold a seat, so no I don't think they'll do damage at this juncture, but we are still eight months out.

I'm generally someone who sees potential for chaos and that debate stage currently looks chaotic. The PPC getting seats is probably dependent on how things go with the by elections later this month. If Singh loses then the NDP could spiral into disarray. Maybe the liberals pick up their support, but I could also see it shaking the landscape a bit as attention moves to Trudeau and Scheer. The former I think rubs more people than acceptable the wrong way with his particular hue of charisma and the latter who is some kind of dopey carbon imitation of the former. I could see, come the debates, a possibility for substantial electorate shift. But like I said, I see potential for chaos.

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:11 am

Nah I don't see the PPC really getting a lot of traction tbh. They could steal votes from the Conservatives and help the Liberals, but I don't really have that much faith that the PPC will get anything done.

Also about that Burnaby South by election the NDP really needs to hold onto that because if they don't people will be more disillusioned to vote NDP and vote for the Liberal, especially since their poll numbers have not been doing so good.

Latialand
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Latialand » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:00 pm

To be fair, Here is my bet on 2019 federal election

>Trudeau going to win the election, but lost some seats to Conservative and NDP
>Singh going to won some seats from Liberal and get some votes from Trudeau "mostly left-wing" voters (aka socdems and progressives)
>Scheer will going to won some seats from Liberal, but lose some of their seats to PP
>Bernier most likely going to won seats from Conservative
>Bloc Quebecois still going to won some seats from Liberal (like what they do in last election)
>May and the Green Party either get one more seats or remain stuck with one seat

(P.S. I am not from Canada, but this is my guess)
Last edited by Latialand on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:06 pm

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General