NATION

PASSWORD

woman shot in the stomach, charged with death of fetus

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:03 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Or not, seeing as the shooter did nothing wrong.

The idea that one can only defend oneself against a highly pregnant woman by shooting her still does seem a bit iffy.

Well, she was shooting at him. What's he supposed to do? Let himself die? His life was being threatened. He had every right to shoot her.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:05 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
The idea that one can only defend oneself against a highly pregnant woman by shooting her still does seem a bit iffy.

Well, she was shooting at him. What's he supposed to do? Let himself die? His life was being threatened. He had every right to shoot her.

Err... no she didn't. And he's a she.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:14 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

1.The shooter was a girl.
2. Only the shooter pulled a gun

To be fair, the mom was in a car when she was shot. So perhaps she was threatening to use the car as a weapon.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Te Netherlands
Envoy

Founded: Jul 31, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Te Netherlands » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:26 pm

Cetacea wrote:So in the perfect storm of Gun violence, the Pro-Life debate and American religious extremism a woman from Alabama who was shot in the stomach while pregnant has been charged with manslaughter of the unborn fetus within. The Woman who shot her has been released.

Alabama is one of 38 states with fetal homicide laws that recognize a fetus as a potential victim and recently the Alabama governor, signed a bill banning abortion in almost every circumstance. Alabama is also a “stand-your-ground” state, which means people are allowed to use physical force to defend themselves if their reason is considered “justifiable”.

“The investigation showed that the only true victim in this was the unborn baby,’’ said Lt Danny Reid of Pleasant Grove police following the shooting, reported AL.com in December. “It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby.”

The case has raised alarm among pro-choice groups who say it is shocking evidence of how the state’s restrictive abortion laws are now being used against pregnant women.

So there you have it expectant provocateurs NSG a woman indicted for manslaughter for losing a pregnancy after being shot in the story is just the latest bizarre story that American serves up to baffle and astound us less ballistic nations. Do you think she should be charged because she provoked the shooting? Should the shooter have any responsibility? Do Fetuses have rights? Is Alabama still in Kansas anymore?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... 1561672289

So if I understand it correctly: The religious woman who is pro-life and pregnant was shot in her stomach by a other woman, but the pro-life activist gets in trouble because of the dead of her unborn child and the other woman has been released? What in the actual heck is this world going?
Official name: the Netherlands
After some disputes within the PVV and the CDP about the new political party (National Party of the Netherlands) PM Legtenberg announced that the name will be the Conservative Party. Because the initial NPN became associated with far-right parties NSB and NSDAP in the '30s and '40s. PM Legtenberg further announced that the Netherlands wil also be a Federal Republic from 1 January 2024. And that he will become the first President of the Netherlands. How this will affect the elections will be decided by him and the House

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:05 am

Te Netherlands wrote:
Cetacea wrote:So in the perfect storm of Gun violence, the Pro-Life debate and American religious extremism a woman from Alabama who was shot in the stomach while pregnant has been charged with manslaughter of the unborn fetus within. The Woman who shot her has been released.

Alabama is one of 38 states with fetal homicide laws that recognize a fetus as a potential victim and recently the Alabama governor, signed a bill banning abortion in almost every circumstance. Alabama is also a “stand-your-ground” state, which means people are allowed to use physical force to defend themselves if their reason is considered “justifiable”.

“The investigation showed that the only true victim in this was the unborn baby,’’ said Lt Danny Reid of Pleasant Grove police following the shooting, reported AL.com in December. “It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby.”

The case has raised alarm among pro-choice groups who say it is shocking evidence of how the state’s restrictive abortion laws are now being used against pregnant women.

So there you have it expectant provocateurs NSG a woman indicted for manslaughter for losing a pregnancy after being shot in the story is just the latest bizarre story that American serves up to baffle and astound us less ballistic nations. Do you think she should be charged because she provoked the shooting? Should the shooter have any responsibility? Do Fetuses have rights? Is Alabama still in Kansas anymore?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... 1561672289

So if I understand it correctly: The religious woman who is pro-life and pregnant was shot in her stomach by a other woman, but the pro-life activist gets in trouble because of the dead of her unborn child and the other woman has been released? What in the actual heck is this world going?

There is nothing in any of the articles as to the pregnant woman's nor the shooter's stance on the abortion.
Such heroic nonsense!

Te Netherlands
Envoy

Postby Te Netherlands » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:17 am

Tekania wrote:
Te Netherlands wrote:

There is nothing in any of the articles as to the pregnant woman's nor the shooter's stance on the abortion.

It was a reaction to the OP, not the article
After some disputes within the PVV and the CDP about the new political party (National Party of the Netherlands) PM Legtenberg announced that the name will be the Conservative Party. Because the initial NPN became associated with far-right parties NSB and NSDAP in the '30s and '40s. PM Legtenberg further announced that the Netherlands wil also be a Federal Republic from 1 January 2024. And that he will become the first President of the Netherlands. How this will affect the elections will be decided by him and the House

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:23 am

Te Netherlands wrote:
Tekania wrote:

Nope, the OP doesn't say that either. Try again.
Such heroic nonsense!

Te Netherlands
Envoy

Postby Te Netherlands » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:49 am

Tekania wrote:
Te Netherlands wrote:

"So in the perfect storm of Gun violence, the Pro-Life debate and American religious extremism a woman from Alabama who was shot in the stomach while pregnant has been charged with manslaughter of the unborn fetus within. The Woman who shot her has been released."

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:58 am

Te Netherlands wrote:
Tekania wrote:

"So in the perfect storm of Gun violence, the Pro-Life debate and American religious extremism a woman from Alabama who was shot in the stomach while pregnant has been charged with manslaughter of the unborn fetus within. The Woman who shot her has been released."

Nothing about that says that the pregnant woman was necessarily pro-life.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:07 am

Te Netherlands wrote:
Tekania wrote:

That sentence says absolutely nothing about what the pregnant woman's nor the shooter's position on abortion is.
Such heroic nonsense!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:09 am

The Free Joy State wrote:A woman being charged for someone else causing the death of her foetus is a very concerning, but not surprising, development. She should not have been charged.

Alabama are taking some very worrying steps in the regulation of pregnant women.

The prosecutor's argument is she attacked another woman forcing that woman to shoot her to defend her own life.

If for instance I attacked you and you felt your life was in danger and you shot at me but you miss and hit a third party then I could be charged with a crime.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:18 am

Te Netherlands wrote:
Tekania wrote:

Considering there is no such thing as "gun violence" other than a made up political phrase, self defense wouldn't apply to this anyways, the situation also isn't about abortion, it is a self defense situation in which one person was charged with a death. The pregnant woman put herself into that situation when there were other options such as walking away, instead she decided to push it.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:22 am

Greed and Death wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:A woman being charged for someone else causing the death of her foetus is a very concerning, but not surprising, development. She should not have been charged.

Alabama are taking some very worrying steps in the regulation of pregnant women.

The prosecutor's argument is she attacked another woman forcing that woman to shoot her to defend her own life.

If for instance I attacked you and you felt your life was in danger and you shot at me but you miss and hit a third party then I could be charged with a crime.

And what evidence of this attack has been presented?

Reminder that the shooter in this case has gone on record as saying that charging the mother is ridiculous.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:29 am

Greed and Death wrote:

There lies the question. Alabama declared the fetus as sacrosanct. The shooter killed it and was not charged.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:44 am

huh interesting case study

if the fetus is an individual then the shooter should be charged because its like shooting a bystander in a case of self defense

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:46 am

Then again maybe this is the precedent people use to start carrying out abortions again. Claim it was self defence against the fetus.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:47 am

Vassenor wrote:Then again maybe this is the precedent people use to start carrying out abortions again. Claim it was self defence against the fetus.

/sigh.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:52 am

Vassenor wrote:Then again maybe this is the precedent people use to start carrying out abortions again. Claim it was self defence against the fetus.

Toxemia is not something to use a joke. Even then you don't have to have an abortion to handle it.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:04 am

Iwassoclose wrote:huh interesting case study

if the fetus is an individual then the shooter should be charged because its like shooting a bystander in a case of self defense

It goes to what greed and death stated. If someone accidentally shoots someone else when they have a right to self-defense the party engaging in the activity which resulted in the person needing self-defense could be charged as the culpable party.

Also, the shooter did have charges brought to the grand jury. The grand jury gave a no bill on the charges for the shooter.
Last edited by Tekania on Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Such heroic nonsense!

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:49 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Or not, seeing as the shooter did nothing wrong.

A pregnant woman who brought her crew with her.

And if you don't think pregnant women are just as dangerous as anyone else, you've got a lot to learn.
Insert trite farewell here

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:54 am

Tekania wrote:
Iwassoclose wrote:huh interesting case study

It goes to what greed and death stated. If someone accidentally shoots someone else when they have a right to self-defense the party engaging in the activity which resulted in the person needing self-defense could be charged as the culpable party.

Also, the shooter did have charges brought to the grand jury. The grand jury gave a no bill on the charges for the shooter.

grand juries are a joke

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:59 am

Iwassoclose wrote:
Tekania wrote:

grand juries are a joke

If someone has a legal right to self-defense, there is no intent on the part of shooting an innocent bystander when they are shooting their assailant. If anyone bears criminal culpability in the shooting it would be the assailant. Without intent there is no crime. So the real joke here is your desire for criminal culpability without demonstrated intent. You don't seem to really understand the idea well being the innocent bystander claim you make. The culpability in the shooting of an innocent bystander follows along the doctrine of transfer of intent. This can be summed up with the arrow analogy. If you shoot an arrow at a person with the intent to kill them and it kills another person the intent in that killing the person you intended to kill then the intent transfers to the one you shot even though you did not specifically intent to kill the one the arrow hit. This means if the killing was a case of criminal intent then the killing of the one shot with the arrow is criminal intent, however this also means because of this legal doctrine that if there was no criminal intent in killing the first person then also there is no criminal intent in killing the innocent bystander. If the the shot was the result of a legal case of self-defense, then there is no legal intent as to a crime in the case of the fetus for the shooter.

You want this treated as if it was an innocent bystander.... fine.... It was.
Such heroic nonsense!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:01 pm

Scomagia wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

A pregnant woman who brought her crew with her.

And if you don't think pregnant women are just as dangerous as anyone else, you've got a lot to learn.

I have actually never felt so threatened that I believed firing a gun was the only possible solution.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Gravlen
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Gravlen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:46 pm

No prosecution will take place.

Bessemer, Ala. (AP) -- An Alabama district attorney said Wednesday she is dropping the manslaughter charge against a woman who lost her fetus when she was shot during a fight.

Marshae Jones was arrested last week after a grand jury concluded she intentionally caused the death of her fetus by initiating a fight, knowing she was pregna

Jefferson County Bessemer Cutoff District Attorney Lynneice O. Washington said Wednesday that she would not pursue the case.

"After reviewing the facts of this case and the applicable state law, I have determined that it is not in the best interest of justice to pursue prosecution of Ms. Jones," Washington said, flanked by her chief assistant and local church leaders. "There are no winners, only losers, in this sad ordeal."

The prosecutor did not take questions or explain the process that led to grand jurors returning the indictment to begin with.

Alabama DA Won’t Prosecute Woman Who Was Shot, Lost Pregnancy

I don't think they could have proved that she intentionally caused the death of her own child, so this is the right call on every level.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:That's preposterous. Gravlens's not a white nationalist; Gravlen's a penguin.

Unio de Sovetaj Socialismaj Respublikoj wrote:There is no use arguing the definition of murder with someone who has a picture of a penguin with a chainsaw as their nations flag.

Tokora
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 08, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tokora » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:01 pm

The logic between being pro-life yet thinking the solution to everything is best described in a string of words that can't be said without being banned. I'm pro-life and I support gun control, and that fact that I'm apparently the only person in the whole country to think that way is honestly moronic. God is dead on the right and now only greed and violence are praised, with this being the end result of both where the influence of the arms industry demands that someone has to die.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General