NATION

PASSWORD

Travel Boycotts/No Travel To Policies

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:20 am

New Excalibus wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
I visited in late 2016. Kyiv and Lviv are great.

Well, to put it simply,
*whispers*
Chernobyl

Some people might be up for that, but not me.

Don't go to Pripyat then.

And no worries, you can't enter "accidentally".
The Blaatschapen should resign

Jazeera
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jazeera » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:24 am

Brunei

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:30 am

Rio Cana wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:This is why I'd have fewer problems with travelling to countries that I'm interested in visiting but object to living in (and, sometimes, buying from).

Take the PRC... I would love to do one of those tourist trails one day, taking in the Forbidden City, the Great Wall, the Summer Palace, Xi'an, Chengdu and so on. Now, from a tourist perspective, if you go there -- don't stir up trouble, follow along your tour group and follow instructions, then you're highly unlikely to get in trouble.

The fact I'd love to see these places I've read about in books and seen in documentaries does not mean that I view the government's actions more positively, or make it a better place to live for the people (the Uighur Muslims spring to mind). It just means that it's easy to toe the line for a few weeks, if it means seeing somewhere you really want to see.

Unfortunately, the US department of State says its risky to go to China. Has a tourist you might get in easily but if they issue an exit ban on leaving then you have a major problem. Seems they tend to do this to citizens of nations they are having problems with.

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-w ... try-2019-1

I'm a British citizen. Our Foreign Office's advice for China is currently that it's safe as long as you don't try anything stupid.

Needless to say, if I do get around to going, I'd double-check the situation beforehand.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:32 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:
Unfortunately, the US department of State says its risky to go to China. Has a tourist you might get in easily but if they issue an exit ban on leaving then you have a major problem. Seems they tend to do this to citizens of nations they are having problems with.

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-w ... try-2019-1

I'm a British citizen. Our Foreign Office's advice for China is currently that it's safe as long as you don't try anything stupid.

Really? They actually had to put out advice not to try anything stupid? You would figure common sense would prevail, but here we are.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:38 am

Wayneactia wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I'm a British citizen. Our Foreign Office's advice for China is currently that it's safe as long as you don't try anything stupid.

Really? They actually had to put out advice not to try anything stupid? You would figure common sense would prevail, but here we are.

I'm paraphrasing. The advice is to avoid protests, follow instructions from the authorities, and to ensure you have correct permits if you want to visit Tibet.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:39 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:

I'm paraphrasing. The advice is to avoid protests, follow instructions from the authorities, and to ensure you have correct permits if you want to visit Tibet.

Once again, you would think common sense would prevail.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

East African Unitary State
Attaché

Founded: Jun 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby East African Unitary State » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:52 am

Heloin wrote:You really want to phrase the burning of Cork as such?

Well the city did burn, hence the name.

Heloin wrote:And since the Omagh bombing is part of the current war, no I don't think it's an unfair comparison.

That happen in what, 2001? Isn't Yugoslav conflict also reach that year if we count the Macedonian shenanigans?

Heloin wrote:One conflict being more violent then another doesn't stop the fact that one of those conflicts is still ongoing and up until about a twenty years ago the wrong shirt colour on the wrong street could still get you shot, and depending on the time of year now beaten.

Being more violent breed more repercussion. Unless you really want to say Ireland criminal activity, including organ harvesting and child trafficking, reach the same level as Balkan territory, I think his point to avoid the area still solid.
East African Unitary State
Nchi ya Umoja wa Afrika Mashariki

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:31 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
New Excalibus wrote:Well, to put it simply,
*whispers*
Chernobyl

Some people might be up for that, but not me.

Don't go to Pripyat then.

And no worries, you can't enter "accidentally".

Indeed. As I've mentioned before I was inside the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant last month on a tour of the facilities. It's fine now. I had a dosimeter with me the entire time. I actually got a higher dose of radiation on the flights over to Ukraine.

I actually have another dosimeter at home that I didn't take with me, because it wouldn't detect anything due to the levels being too low for that higher range dosimeter to detect. I'd have to go waltzing around in the Red Forest area etc for it to actually detect anything.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General