NATION

PASSWORD

is global warming actually bad for the planet, or just us?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lower Nubia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Kowani wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:
To the Nuclear war head “salesman” and the firefighter. It maintains business.

I believe most firefighters would prefer it if there weren’t fires, but hey.

Depends on the society and the time.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:17 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Kowani wrote:I believe most firefighters would prefer it if there weren’t fires, but hey.

Depends on the society and the time.

I think we can safely assume modern fore departments are a bit past the days of the Five Points and the Toronto Circus Riot.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Yikes, Grapasia was already ghosted...wonder what they did.

But the problem isn't global warming, it's how fast said warming is happening. The ecosystem can adapt to more gradual changes without difficulty but the problem is we view it on a human timescale...100 years for us is a long time, but on the scale of the evolutionary mechanisms that allow organisms to adapt to climate change it's a fraction of a second at best.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:34 pm

Vetalia wrote:Yikes, Grapasia was already ghosted...wonder what they did.

But the problem isn't global warming, it's how fast said warming is happening. The ecosystem can adapt to more gradual changes without difficulty but the problem is we view it on a human timescale...100 years for us is a long time, but on the scale of the evolutionary mechanisms that allow organisms to adapt to climate change it's a fraction of a second at best.

They were having fun in that toxic hot mess that is that incel thread.

Anyway, that's a good point. And we are seeing how those rapid changes are killing flora and fauna all over the place too. There has been no way for them to adapt in such a short time.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:37 pm

Global Warming is bad for MOST Humans, Mammals and Birds. Insects, Slime and Bacteria will feast on the plentiful corpses and flourish.

Planet's POV: no life at all versus Insects etc versus People etc? I doubt that she cares.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017

Postby Lower Nubia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Highever wrote:

I think we can safely assume modern fore departments are a bit past the days of the Five Points and the Toronto Circus Riot.

Of course.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:58 pm

Grapasia wrote:A lot of people into climate change will tell you about the Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum as an argument for why climate change is bad. However, this seems to be a pretty anthropocentric argument - Although a lot of damage was done, especially to the oceans, in the long run it's clear that very quickly heating up the Earth without completely cooking it actually forces life to innovate instead of kills it. The Eocene was basically world forest time anyway, there were redwoods and alligators in the arctic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleocene ... ximum#Life

The PETM is accompanied by a mass extinction of 35-50% of benthic foraminifera (especially in deeper waters) over the course of ~1,000 years – the group suffering more than during the dinosaur-slaying K-T extinction (e.g.,[37][38][39]). Contrarily, planktonic foraminifera diversified, and dinoflagellates bloomed. Success was also enjoyed by the mammals, who radiated extensively around this time.

It seems to me that global warming isn't actually destroying anything per se, just shaking it up, and that the results of the shaking up will appear only long after a human lifetime has commenced. We only care because WE (humans) exist in the now. How, therefore, are all arguments against global warming not anthropocentric butthurt? It is only humans that sentimentally value the less than 1% of species that are still around and haven't gone extinct. It is only humans that rely on fisheries and climate belts to sustain such a hugely over carrying capacity population. It is only humans and certain other organisms that would have gone extinct anyway that stand to suffer from extreme heat in the tropics. Isn't opposition to climate change completely anthropocentric? Shouldn't activists for the prevention of climate change embrace this and point out the negative effects (like mass starvation) it'll have on humans instead of looking like alarmist tree-huggers? Is this good praxis? Some food for thought.

The universe doesn't care whether Earth is inhabited by humans, intelligent cockroaches, stupid dinosaurs, hordes of trilobites...or at all. Global warming, meteorite strike, nearby supernova, it's all the same. My favorite is the Big Rip.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Grapasia wrote:A lot of people into climate change will tell you about the Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum as an argument for why climate change is bad. However, this seems to be a pretty anthropocentric argument - Although a lot of damage was done, especially to the oceans, in the long run it's clear that very quickly heating up the Earth without completely cooking it actually forces life to innovate instead of kills it. The Eocene was basically world forest time anyway, there were redwoods and alligators in the arctic.

The PETM is accompanied by a mass extinction of 35-50% of benthic foraminifera (especially in deeper waters) over the course of ~1,000 years – the group suffering more than during the dinosaur-slaying K-T extinction (e.g.,[37][38][39]). Contrarily, planktonic foraminifera diversified, and dinoflagellates bloomed. Success was also enjoyed by the mammals, who radiated extensively around this time.

It seems to me that global warming isn't actually destroying anything per se, just shaking it up, and that the results of the shaking up will appear only long after a human lifetime has commenced. We only care because WE (humans) exist in the now. How, therefore, are all arguments against global warming not anthropocentric butthurt? It is only humans that sentimentally value the less than 1% of species that are still around and haven't gone extinct. It is only humans that rely on fisheries and climate belts to sustain such a hugely over carrying capacity population. It is only humans and certain other organisms that would have gone extinct anyway that stand to suffer from extreme heat in the tropics. Isn't opposition to climate change completely anthropocentric? Shouldn't activists for the prevention of climate change embrace this and point out the negative effects (like mass starvation) it'll have on humans instead of looking like alarmist tree-huggers? Is this good praxis? Some food for thought.

Greenpeace: "It's not communism, it's surprise environmental protection."

That's environmentalism in a nutshell
UNDER ECONOMIC MARTIAL LAW (Communism)
The craziest schizo on NationStates. National Trotskyism is my ideology.
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™
There are three genders: Male, Female, and Spam. I respect your opinion if you think otherwise.
Epstein Didn't Kill Himself™
The future will not look like the Jetsons, it will look like Mutant Rampage BodySlam.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:07 pm

Chan Island wrote:They were having fun in that toxic hot mess that is that incel thread.

Anyway, that's a good point. And we are seeing how those rapid changes are killing flora and fauna all over the place too. There has been no way for them to adapt in such a short time.

And that's the problem, we're not talking changes that happen over even a few hundred years like, say, the Medieval Warm Period, this is happening in less than a human lifetime. The climate and corresponding weather where I live is measurably different than it was 20 years ago...it never really rains or snows normally here anymore, the steady kind that you can handle and even enjoy. Instead, it's torrential rains and truly biting cold with blizzards as the polar vortex breaks out and heads south (the polar vortex is another term I never heard regarding our weather before 2014).

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:08 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:

Greenpeace: "It's not communism, it's surprise environmental protection."

If the nutshell was completely artificial, misshapen, warped and not at all correct.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:10 pm

Highever wrote:
Tornado Queendom wrote:Greenpeace: "It's not communism, it's surprise environmental protection."

If the nutshell was completely artificial, misshapen, warped and not at all correct.

[sarcasm]Oh boy, am I getting a sense of Pride and Accomplisment from that response of yours.[/sarcam]

Seriously though, I use memes for the purpose of my points. Next thing you know, you will tell me to "go back to 4chan".
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™
There are three genders: Male, Female, and Spam. I respect your opinion if you think otherwise.
The future will not look like the Jetsons, it will look like Mutant Rampage BodySlam.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:Greenpeace: "It's not communism, it's surprise environmental protection."

Actually, Communist-party run states have the most horrifically bad environmental records of any nation on the planet.
Last edited by Vetalia on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Chan Island wrote:They were having fun in that toxic hot mess that is that incel thread.

And that's the problem, we're not talking changes that happen over even a few hundred years like, say, the Medieval Warm Period, this is happening in less than a human lifetime. The climate and corresponding weather where I live is measurably different than it was 20 years ago...it never really rains or snows normally here anymore, the steady kind that you can handle and even enjoy. Instead, it's torrential rains and truly biting cold with blizzards as the polar vortex breaks out and heads south (the polar vortex is another term I never heard regarding our weather before 2014).

It's been years since it's snowed back in Luxembourg, and yet it snowed every year reliably while I was a kid down there. Very sad and disturbing trend.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Vetalia wrote:

Actually, communist-party run states have the most horrifically bad environmental records of any nation on the planet.

I know, but environmentalism basically wants an "equal-friendly" version of Communism. That's why I made that quote
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:22 pm

Chan Island wrote:It's been years since it's snowed back in Luxembourg, and yet it snowed every year reliably while I was a kid down there. Very sad and disturbing trend.

For us here in the USA along the Great Lakes in Ohio, we've had more and more bitter, brutal cold combined with heavy blizzards and winds during the winter; this winter, it was so cold I was almost locked out of my apartment because of the sheer cold brought south due to the polar vortex that froze my lock and door jamb into place. I sincerely hope and pray the homeless around here found shelter because that would kill anyone outside after too long.

This year, we've had so much rain we're 6 inches (15.24 cm) above average to date and all of the plants in my garden are struggling horribly. In many parts of the American Midwest crop failures are the norm due to so much rain.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:26 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:I know, but environmentalism basically wants an "equal-friendly" version of Communism. That's why I made that quote

Communism is an "equal-friendly" movement combined with the most insanely, fanatical, even religiously fanatical version of anthropocentric ideology ever imagined on this planet.

Environmentalism may go to the opposite extreme and place mankind at the expense of nature but there is no overlap between the two.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:26 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:
Highever wrote:If the nutshell was completely artificial, misshapen, warped and not at all correct.

[sarcasm]Oh boy, am I getting a sense of Pride and Accomplisment from that response of yours.[/sarcam]

Seriously though, I use memes for the purpose of my points. Next thing you know, you will tell me to "go back to 4chan".

I dont care how you present the points but when you're point is that environmentalism is the same as communism it is blatantly false.
Last edited by Highever on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Former Citizens of the Nimbus System
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Former Citizens of the Nimbus System » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:36 pm

Something that I haven't seen mentioned yet: positive feedback loops. As the world's ice melts, its albedo (the amount of energy from the Sun reflected back out into space) decreases and the methane currently held in permafrost and in Arctic seas is released more quickly. The result is that global warming accelerates; if we were to halt all man-made emissions tomorrow, the Earth would continue to warm (certainly more slowly than doing as we are now but it would continue). I don't know enough about climate science to say whether the temperature would stabilise over time or if the cycle would get more and more powerful but scientists do speak of a 'tipping point' for runaway warming that we may or may not have already crossed. If so, global warming is definitely bad for the planet, or, at least, its ecosystems, since, by the very nature of positive feedback, warming would at some point theoretically reach a pace that evolution is simply unable to keep up.

Vetalia wrote:
Tornado Queendom wrote:I know, but environmentalism basically wants an "equal-friendly" version of Communism. That's why I made that quote

Communism is an "equal-friendly" movement combined with the most insanely, fanatical, even religiously fanatical version of anthropocentric ideology ever imagined on this planet.

I see that someone has been reading Bonhoeffer!
We are the Nexus Wardship of Former Citizens of the Nimbus System, not just a collection of people; please shorten to the pre-title or use the full name!

Emmet: You might see a mess -
Lord Business: Exactly: a bunch of weird, dorky stuff that ruined my perfectly good stuff!
Emmet: Okay. What I see are people, inspired by each other and by you - people taking what you made and making something new out of it.

The central Nimban cultural ideal summed up in an exchange from The Lego Movie.

Supporter of the campaign to add Economic Freedom to the home page!

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:48 pm

Former Citizens of the Nimbus System wrote:I see that someone has been reading Bonhoeffer!

No, this is solely devised from my Catholic faith, but from what I read of him he is a truly godly man, far more than myself.

Just look at Chernobyl, the Aral Sea, Magnitogorsk, Norilsk...
Last edited by Vetalia on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:45 pm

There's quite a good initiative here - https://showyourstripes.info - where you can select your country and see the heat shift over the past 150 years. Add in desertification and pollution and one can well imagine a lifeless planet, which is technically not good even for an unfeeling planet.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:51 pm

Bombadil wrote:There's quite a good initiative here - https://showyourstripes.info - where you can select your country and see the heat shift over the past 150 years. Add in desertification and pollution and one can well imagine a lifeless planet, which is technically not good even for an unfeeling planet.

I mean, most of the planets in our solar system - and probably the galaxy - are lifeless and they seem to be doing relatively well for themselves. Maybe it's time we take a page from their book.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:56 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Bombadil wrote:There's quite a good initiative here - https://showyourstripes.info - where you can select your country and see the heat shift over the past 150 years. Add in desertification and pollution and one can well imagine a lifeless planet, which is technically not good even for an unfeeling planet.

I mean, most of the planets in our solar system - and probably the galaxy - are lifeless and they seem to be doing relatively well for themselves. Maybe it's time we take a page from their book.

There's also the possibility that Earth is the only planet in the universe to have sentient life, and I think it would be a shame if that ended is self-destruction.

In relation to another thread I was pondering on the idea of millennia ahead where Earth is known as the Genesis planet and within our timeframe the first man had left earth's confines. A small step for man, a giant leap for mankind.

It would be a hallowed planet.

I'd rather that future than one where aliens come across a dead planet and pity the senseless lifeforms that destroyed it.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:59 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:I mean, most of the planets in our solar system - and probably the galaxy - are lifeless and they seem to be doing relatively well for themselves. Maybe it's time we take a page from their book.

There's also the possibility that Earth is the only planet in the universe to have sentient life, and I think it would be a shame if that ended is self-destruction.

In relation to another thread I was pondering on the idea of millennia ahead where Earth is known as the Genesis planet and within our timeframe the first man had left earth's confines. A small step for man, a giant leap for mankind.

It would be a hallowed planet.

I'd rather that future than one where aliens come across a dead planet and pity the senseless lifeforms that destroyed it.

I bet said aliens probably destroyed their own planet and that's why they were exploring space to begin with. Happened once with us.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:03 pm

No — some species will suffer for a while, before they likely adapt to the rising temperature. If they can’t adapt, then they may become extinct over a period of time. It doesn’t hurt just us, it hurts them too.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:We’re certainly big contributors to it.

While we may contribute, I don't believe it is as much as people believe we do. It is a proven fact that the Earth goes through periods of heating and cooling, as our orbit nutates around the barycentre of the solar system. We are in fact about to start a cooling trend if the models hold true, which will glaciate most of the Northern Hemisphere just like the last ice age from 17000 years ago. Nature is pretty good at fixing things on her own.
Last edited by WayNeacTia on Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General