NATION

PASSWORD

Cars need to be banned

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:52 am

The Brine wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:If you're quoting a source, link to the source and put the text in a box or quote, to show it's not yours.

Dumping the whole text and presenting it as your case was barely one up from copypasta.

Wow, I didn't know you could do that!???

This is a box.

This is a quote.

Both can be utilised when linking to sources.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Ayissor
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayissor » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:53 am

The Brine wrote:
Alien Overlord wrote:I refuse to regress and give up my car. What can you do about this? Nothing-because by your own principles, we are giving up all cars. So if i hide my car until after you've outlawed them, then bring it back out, what can you do? Especially if i have a means to get gasoline for it. You aren't going to catch me on a bicycle. Imagine me, multiplied by millions.

Send an elite death squad after you and your cohort, they will be riding in helicopters.

headdesk

Alien Overlord
Envoy

Founded: Feb 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Overlord » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:53 am

The Brine wrote:
Alien Overlord wrote:I refuse to regress and give up my car. What can you do about this? Nothing-because by your own principles, we are giving up all cars. So if i hide my car until after you've outlawed them, then bring it back out, what can you do? Especially if i have a means to get gasoline for it. You aren't going to catch me on a bicycle. Imagine me, multiplied by millions.

Send an elite death squad after you and your cohort, they will be riding in helicopters.

Helicopters manufactured where exactly? You mentioned a transformation to a society based on small communities. Small communities can't afford to maintain helicopters. I rest my case.
Walkerfort wrote:so...

Banning cars will lead to a clusterfuck of mininations everywhere and attempting to mash two Eras together miserably and 1984 style dictatorships

butterfly effect when give a butterfly cocaine

Ayissor wrote:
Alien Overlord wrote:You mean the proles living in tribes right? The ones who were also brainwashed 1984 style?

Yup, who else? Workers? Ha, as if we need them in our anarcho-primitivist-orwellian utopia dystopia federation.

The Brine
Envoy

Founded: Jun 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Brine » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:54 am

Rothbardian Paradise wrote:Should cars be banned?

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about cars. All right, here is how I feel about cars:

If when you say cars you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil vehicle that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say cars you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drives that pu the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the car which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that car, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

That was beautiful.
Come as you are.

Ayissor
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayissor » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:54 am

Alien Overlord wrote:
The Brine wrote:Send an elite death squad after you and your cohort, they will be riding in helicopters.

Helicopters manufactured where exactly? You mentioned a transformation to a society based on small communities. Small communities can't afford to maintain helicopters. I rest my case.

Manufactured by the proles, obviously, because that's gonna work.

Walkerfort
Envoy

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Walkerfort » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:54 am

I think I hear the march of the gladiators already
Well... It's been a while.

thinking of reforming my nation

Alien Overlord
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Overlord » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:55 am

Ayissor wrote:
Alien Overlord wrote:Helicopters manufactured where exactly? You mentioned a transformation to a society based on small communities. Small communities can't afford to maintain helicopters. I rest my case.

Manufactured by the proles, obviously, because that's gonna work.

You mean the proles living in tribes right? The ones who were also brainwashed 1984 style?

Banning cars will lead to a clusterfuck of mininations everywhere and attempting to mash two Eras together miserably and 1984 style dictatorships

Ayissor wrote:
Alien Overlord wrote:You mean the proles living in tribes right? The ones who were also brainwashed 1984 style?

Yup, who else? Workers? Ha, as if we need them in our anarcho-primitivist-orwellian utopia dystopia federation.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:56 am

The Brine wrote:

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about cars. All right, here is how I feel about cars:

If when you say cars you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil vehicle that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say cars you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drives that pu the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the car which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that car, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

That was beautiful.

That was parody.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Ayissor
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayissor » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:56 am

Alien Overlord wrote:
Ayissor wrote:Manufactured by the proles, obviously, because that's gonna work.

You mean the proles living in tribes right? The ones who were also brainwashed 1984 style?

The Brine
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Brine » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:57 am

Alien Overlord wrote:
The Brine wrote:Send an elite death squad after you and your cohort, they will be riding in helicopters.

True but the ultra state of the United Communites can and they will. There are small communities and there is the main head of operations which acts as a governing police state that ensures peace and justice.
Come as you are.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:57 am

The Brine wrote:

That was beautiful.

Not really, it's just paraphrased: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If-by-whi ... al_example
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Walkerfort
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Walkerfort » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:57 am

by far... one of the funniest threads I have been on

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:58 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
The Brine wrote:That was beautiful.

That was parody.

Oh go away with that sniping Joy. :p
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Electric; Not Trains, are the Future

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:58 am

Go electric.

OP is saying, and I’ll also say it again: Fossil-fueled trains are much more eco-friendly than fossil-fueled cars and buses

Electric cars, buses and trains are much more eco-friendlier.

Which one is better?

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:58 am

The Brine wrote:Yes, yes, we all know, we should be switching the television off stand-by when not in use. And that we should be getting out of our cars and getting on trains, buses and bicycles to reduce global warming. It certainly is not easy, particularly when generations of today have become so used to modern conveniences, namely cars. As soon as an individual passes their driving test, many are unlikely to get on a bus again! But the reality is, using rail travel is much better for the environment. The Manchester Commute Challenge recorded that the train commuter produced 382 grams of CO2, the bus commuter 603 grams and the car produced 1123 grams. If everybody were to cut down how much they used their car, it really would make the world of difference for the future. Additionally, the creation of car parks uses land that could be used for more homes in Britain or maintaining a greener country. Imagine the amount of car parking space would be needed during a global event, such as at the Olympics in 2012.

With the ever increasing rise in fuel prices, it is difficult to tell when it will ever stop. Car users are shelling out more and more money to pay at the pumps for their petrol and feel bitter having done so. Travelling by rail means that you do not pay to fill up your car, only for your fare and do not have to concern yourself with where to park your car or bike and do not have to pay for the pleasure: particularly trying to park in London. Perhaps travelling by train makes us all better off in the long run.

For much of your journey, a train reaches a speed twice that of the limit allowed on roads. When travelling by plane, you have to get to the airport, check-in, endure the flight and then any onward travel to your destination. A train takes you from city to city efficiently: from London to Brussels in 2 hours 40 minutes; from London to Paris in three hours, saving us all plenty of much-needed time. Roads and motorways do get very congested and this is unlikely to happen on a train.

I think trains are a great form of transportation. Have you ever been to Japan?
That is THE mode of transportation. Cheap, easy, fast. Crowded? Yes for sure but it gets you from point A to B in a fast fashion.
It may not be ideal for traveling out of state, but going from city to city in a train is a great way for transportation.

All of that is based on someone living in a big, crowded city. What if you live in the boonies, not some megacity?
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Ayissor
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayissor » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 am

The Brine wrote:
Alien Overlord wrote:Helicopters manufactured where exactly? You mentioned a transformation to a society based on small communities. Small communities can't afford to maintain helicopters. I rest my case.

True but the ultra state of the United Communites can and they will. There are small communities and there is the main head of operations which acts as a governing police state that ensures peace and justice.

So are they united, divided, federated? Is it a stone age society or a futurist orwellian super state? Make up your bloody mind already.

Alien Overlord
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Overlord » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:01 am

Ayissor wrote:
The Brine wrote:True but the ultra state of the United Communites can and they will. There are small communities and there is the main head of operations which acts as a governing police state that ensures peace and justice.

So are they united, divided, federated? Is it a stone age society or a futurist orwellian super state? Make up your bloody mind already.

"All in one"

Ayissor wrote:

Walkerfort
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Walkerfort » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:01 am

so...

The Brine
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Brine » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:01 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:Go electric.

OP is saying, and I’ll also say it again: Fossil-fueled trains are much more eco-friendly than fossil-fueled cars and buses

Which one is better?

Trains definitely. Did you not just see my latest post of why I thought so? I thought clearly that was enough reasons of why trains are superior to cars but I guess I need more, huh?
Come as you are.

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:01 am

Walkerfort wrote:by far... one of the funniest threads I have been on

Indeed. Exposing the copies, always. Funny but the work of the honest, and logical.
Petrolheadia wrote:All of that is based on someone living in a big, crowded city. What if you live in the boonies, not some megacity?

Exactly. OP is saying as if every town is connected easily, has enough money to build train lines and such.
Last edited by Bluelight-R006 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:02 am

The Brine wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:Go electric.

Which one is better?

Trains definitely. Did you not just see my latest post of why I thought so? I thought clearly that was enough reasons of why trains are superior to cars but I guess I need more, huh?

Trains are superior to cars, but it doesn’t mean that cars need to be banned, thereby disproving your entire shenanigan. Just go electric.

Ayissor
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayissor » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:03 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:
The Brine wrote:Trains definitely. Did you not just see my latest post of why I thought so? I thought clearly that was enough reasons of why trains are superior to cars but I guess I need more, huh?

Trains are superior to cars, but it doesn’t mean that cars need to be banned, thereby disproving your entire shenanigan. Just go electric.

Better yet would be if we banner human drivers, but allowed self-driving cars to exist.

The Brine
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Brine » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:03 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:
The Brine wrote:Trains definitely. Did you not just see my latest post of why I thought so? I thought clearly that was enough reasons of why trains are superior to cars but I guess I need more, huh?

I already told why electric cars should be outlawed, do I have to say it again, do I?
Come as you are.

The Brine
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Brine » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:04 am

Ayissor wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:Trains are superior to cars, but it doesn’t mean that cars need to be banned, thereby disproving your entire shenanigan. Just go electric.

Better yet would be if we banner human drivers, but allowed self-driving cars to exist.

Never trust technology. Face it we need trains now more than ever.
Come as you are.

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:04 am

Ayissor wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:Trains are superior to cars, but it doesn’t mean that cars need to be banned, thereby disproving your entire shenanigan. Just go electric.

I agree. In fact that’s what I suggested in the first few posts of this topic. I’ll bring it up again: Technology isn’t 100% reliable, but more reliable than common human imperfection.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General