NATION

PASSWORD

An all female future..

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I would..

..wave them off with tears in my eyes
15%
..object strenuously to this fascist feminism
35%
..sabotage the flight.. we all go down with the ship
8%
..demand Hasselhoff at least be included to represent mankind
17%
..demand a global poll be set up so I can click accordingly
3%
..furiously discuss on NSG
12%
..other
10%

Total votes : 209

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:24 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Sex provides dopamine and morale. Only issue is spacecels.

We aren’t even there yet and you’re already anticipating spacecels? South Falls for lunar council.

And, don't forget space mormons. "Elder Smith, can I wear a space suit, I mean we're in space after all" "No! YOU MUST WEAR THE GARMENTS BECAUSE JOSEPH SAID SO!"
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:24 am

The South Falls wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
We aren’t even there yet and you’re already anticipating spacecels? South Falls for lunar council.

And, don't forget space mormons. "Elder Smith, can I wear a space suit, I mean we're in space after all" "No! YOU MUST WEAR THE GARMENTS BECAUSE JOSEPH SAID SO!"

Fancy space Mormon garments... business idea.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:32 am

The South Falls wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Aren't Scientologists already space Mormons? :thinking:
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:37 am

Cekoviu wrote:but you can't always tell if somebody actually is infertile without getting them checked. That seems like a waste of resources too, but maybe it'd be worth it.

...having periods would be a start. And then having a gyne's exam to check you have active ovaries really is as simple as a transvaginal ultrasound.

And let's be realistic, if we're really talking about setting up a breeding colony of humans, not getting them screened for everything possible would be insane.

You'd have to always give cis men C-sections, though, because the alternative is... :shock:

Now why am I thinking of Alien...? :D
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:41 am

Araraukar wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:but you can't always tell if somebody actually is infertile without getting them checked. That seems like a waste of resources too, but maybe it'd be worth it.

...having periods would be a start. And then having a gyne's exam to check you have active ovaries really is as simple as a transvaginal ultrasound.

And let's be realistic, if we're really talking about setting up a breeding colony of humans, not getting them screened for everything possible would be insane.

Yeah, that's fair.
You'd have to always give cis men C-sections, though, because the alternative is... :shock:

I shuddered violently at this.

Hathian Prime
Envoy

Founded: Nov 26, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Hathian Prime » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:44 am

I see a few issues with this, most of which are not related to general sexism.

1.)You would have to bring a ton of sperm in order to ensure that you have not only numerous samples, but also so that you do not lose your only chance of reproducing because of human error or an uncontrollable accident. There's also the issue of refrigerating the sperm which takes power and money, as well as a separate chamber on the ship just to ensure that it won't be damaged or destroyed.

2.)Giving birth in space has been hypothesized as extremely deadly to both mother and child. There is a high chance that the baby's bones will not form properly in zero-g and it will become disfigured. Also, atmospheric entry could cause a miscarriage due to high stress and high g-forces. So let's assume the women decide to not go through with birth in space. Let's also assume that if they were to get pregnant on Mars they would do it in shifts(Ex: 50 women land on Mars, 5 get pregnant, give birth, and then another 5 go after the previous recover). Well, those women are out of commission for 9 months. Then, you have the problem of raising children. The kids would be useful for some things but would remain largely worthless for construction and repairs until they were 15 or 14 because of their underdeveloped minds and muscles. And this is all assuming the sperm wasn't lost or destroyed.

3.)Then there's the issue of perceived transphobia, misandry, and/or homophobia. Granted, the latter may not be a big deal at all since Lesbians can reproduce. But if a space organization were to ask for only Cis Females, there would be a massive public outcry. I am not meaning to demean Trans people. Their emotions and beliefs are valid. But a majority have not had a sex change surgery. I imagine there would be long-winded debates about this. Even if the trans person has transitioned genders, there's also the problem of artificially inserting a womb in, which could take a ton of money or the person would flat out refuse because of personal reasons. And then we have the issue of misandry. Many male astronauts would be quite mad because they were not chosen purely for gender alone. Apparently, a little above 1/3rd of NASA is female(even less so in other organizations). I could see very disastrous things occurring during the launch by a disgruntled male employee, or by a majority of the males quitting due to sexism.

4.) I do not want to exist in a world where survival is determined by gender and gender alone. We have had and will continue to have mixed sex societies. Biologically speaking(for Cis people), women tend to be more organized and smaller than men, allowing them to keep track of supplies and to get into areas the average man cannot. However, the average male is much more muscular and tend to have larger brains than the average female. The sexes are made to be complementary to one another. Men can do things women struggle with and vice versa. To solve the whole leader argument issue, make it a democracy. One person is selected based on skills and must overhear the opinions of every crewmate. Once on the planet, there can be more roles added and more laws made.
Hathian Prime does not use NS Stats.
HP and all other nations take place in an AU on an entirely different earth.

Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:45 am

Men are at the top of their field in many areas. So no I wouldn't gamble the success of a mission to save on caloric intake. I want the best of the best regardless of gender, race, religion, etcetera.
Last edited by Unstoppable Empire of Doom on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:48 am

Hathian Prime wrote:I do not want to exist in a world where survival is determined by gender and gender alone. We have had and will continue to have mixed sex societies. Biologically speaking(for Cis people), women tend to be more organized and smaller than men, allowing them to keep track of supplies and to get into areas the average man cannot. However, the average male is much more muscular and tend to have larger brains than the average female. The sexes are made to be complementary to one another. Men can do things women struggle with and vice versa. To solve the whole leader argument issue, make it a democracy. One person is selected based on skills and must overhear the opinions of every crewmate. Once on the planet, there can be more roles added and more laws made.

Addressing the cis people qualifier, that's not actually that necessary (except in part for physical size, as height can be variant). Trends in brain differences are generally preserved across trans people of a particular gender just as they would be for cis people, and trans people who have been medically transitioning for two years or more generally reflect the same trends as cis people metabolically and physiologically (at least for musculature).
Kind of a small point, I know, but I feel that that misconception should be cleared up.

Hathian Prime
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Hathian Prime » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:51 am

Hathian Prime wrote:I see a few issues with this, most of which are not related to general sexism.

1.)You would have to bring a ton of sperm in order to ensure that you have not only numerous samples, but also so that you do not lose your only chance of reproducing because of human error or an uncontrollable accident. There's also the issue of refrigerating the sperm which takes power and money, as well as a separate chamber on the ship just to ensure that it won't be damaged or destroyed.

2.)Giving birth in space has been hypothesized as extremely deadly to both mother and child. There is a high chance that the baby's bones will not form properly in zero-g and it will become disfigured. Also, atmospheric entry could cause a miscarriage due to high stress and high g-forces. So let's assume the women decide to not go through with birth in space. Let's also assume that if they were to get pregnant on Mars they would do it in shifts(Ex: 50 women land on Mars, 5 get pregnant, give birth, and then another 5 go after the previous recover). Well, those women are out of commission for 9 months. Then, you have the problem of raising children. The kids would be useful for some things but would remain largely worthless for construction and repairs until they were 15 or 14 because of their underdeveloped minds and muscles. And this is all assuming the sperm wasn't lost or destroyed.

3.)Then there's the issue of perceived transphobia, misandry, and/or homophobia. Granted, the latter may not be a big deal at all since Lesbians can reproduce. But if a space organization were to ask for only Cis Females, there would be a massive public outcry. I am not meaning to demean Trans people. Their emotions and beliefs are valid. But a majority have not had a sex change surgery. I imagine there would be long-winded debates about this. Even if the trans person has transitioned genders, there's also the problem of artificially inserting a womb in, which could take a ton of money or the person would flat out refuse because of personal reasons. And then we have the issue of misandry. Many male astronauts would be quite mad because they were not chosen purely for gender alone. Apparently, a little above 1/3rd of NASA is female(even less so in other organizations). I could see very disastrous things occurring during the launch by a disgruntled male employee, or by a majority of the males quitting due to sexism.

4.) I do not want to exist in a world where survival is determined by gender and gender alone. We have had and will continue to have mixed sex societies. Biologically speaking(for Cis people), women tend to be more organized and smaller than men, allowing them to keep track of supplies and to get into areas the average man cannot. However, the average male is much more muscular and tend to have larger brains than the average female. The sexes are made to be complementary to one another. Men can do things women struggle with and vice versa. To solve the whole leader argument issue, make it a democracy. One person is selected based on skills and must overhear the opinions of every crewmate. Once on the planet, there can be more roles added and more laws made.

And I nearly forgot this but
5.) The country issue. Many nations would be mad if only one nationality of astronauts was sent to space. Granted, we can't put one female from, every nation into space as it would be so expensive and cost-consuming. And that also has the problem of the females from underdeveloped countries not having the expertise required to live on a spaceship. Hell, there may even be wars that would break out over this. Honestly, I have no clue how to solve this problem either.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:52 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The South Falls wrote:And, don't forget space mormons. "Elder Smith, can I wear a space suit, I mean we're in space after all" "No! YOU MUST WEAR THE GARMENTS BECAUSE JOSEPH SAID SO!"

Fancy space Mormon garments... business idea.

They don't have money, as they already paid their tithes to the space mormon woman's birthing fund. Nah but mormon women would be taking the flights home to give birth at twice the rate of everyone else, cause contraceptives are a sin, apparently.
Cekoviu wrote:
The South Falls wrote:And, don't forget space mormons. "Elder Smith, can I wear a space suit, I mean we're in space after all" "No! YOU MUST WEAR THE GARMENTS BECAUSE JOSEPH SAID SO!"

Aren't Scientologists already space Mormons? :thinking:

The Space Org, now with more Tom cruise.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:52 am

Hathian Prime wrote:Well, those women are out of commission for 9 months. Then, you have the problem of raising children.

You think women stop being able to work from the moment of conception? :blink: And in some places (USA comes to mind as a western nation) the woman is expected to get back to work within a few weeks of giving birth, while in others (some third world nations) she has no choice but to be back at work within a few days. Also, daycare is a thing that exists even here on Earth.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:53 am

Sure you could do that. Assuming you're colonizing inside the solar system. If you're doing extra solar colonization the best you can hope for in that case is the bodies of deceased female crewmembers arriving aboard the lifeless hulk of a ship at the closest potential candidate in 18,000 years.

Best options would be to develop some form of suspended animation, or employ a multi-generational approach. At least then you would have some hope of living creatures arrive at the destination.
Such heroic nonsense!

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:55 am

Araraukar wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sBROXalU4
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Tusdetan Anti-Curators
Civilian

Founded: May 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tusdetan Anti-Curators » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:56 am

The idea that women wouldn't quarrel about who is in charge is oddly naive and frankly sexist in a way that manages to insult both sexes.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:57 am

Not gonna happen. I have it on good authority that women like penis.

Hathian Prime wrote:And I nearly forgot this but
5.) The country issue. Many nations would be mad if only one nationality of astronauts was sent to space. Granted, we can't put one female from, every nation into space as it would be so expensive and cost-consuming. And that also has the problem of the females from underdeveloped countries not having the expertise required to live on a spaceship. Hell, there may even be wars that would break out over this. Honestly, I have no clue how to solve this problem either.

If you're incapable of running a space program good luck going to war with a nation that is.
Last edited by Aclion on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

The Jar Jar Jar of Jar Jar
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Jar Jar Jar of Jar Jar » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:57 am

If it was the literal only choice for humanity's survival (unlikely), then I would very reluctantly accept it. If it was not, then I'd be against it tooth and nail.
The ever so slightly evil puppet of Stellar Colonies.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:59 am

Hathian Prime wrote:1.)You would have to bring a ton of sperm in order to ensure that you have not only numerous samples, but also so that you do not lose your only chance of reproducing because of human error or an uncontrollable accident. There's also the issue of refrigerating the sperm which takes power and money, as well as a separate chamber on the ship just to ensure that it won't be damaged or destroyed.

Redundancy is of course always being considered.

Hathian Prime wrote:2.)Giving birth in space has been hypothesized as extremely deadly to both mother and child. There is a high chance that the baby's bones will not form properly in zero-g and it will become disfigured. Also, atmospheric entry could cause a miscarriage due to high stress and high g-forces. So let's assume the women decide to not go through with birth in space. Let's also assume that if they were to get pregnant on Mars they would do it in shifts(Ex: 50 women land on Mars, 5 get pregnant, give birth, and then another 5 go after the previous recover). Well, those women are out of commission for 9 months. Then, you have the problem of raising children. The kids would be useful for some things but would remain largely worthless for construction and repairs until they were 15 or 14 because of their underdeveloped minds and muscles. And this is all assuming the sperm wasn't lost or destroyed.

This would have to be tested in practice, how children develop in zero-g pregnancy.

Hathian Prime wrote:3.)Then there's the issue of perceived transphobia, misandry, and/or homophobia. Granted, the latter may not be a big deal at all since Lesbians can reproduce. But if a space organization were to ask for only Cis Females, there would be a massive public outcry. I am not meaning to demean Trans people. Their emotions and beliefs are valid. But a majority have not had a sex change surgery. I imagine there would be long-winded debates about this. Even if the trans person has transitioned genders, there's also the problem of artificially inserting a womb in, which could take a ton of money or the person would flat out refuse because of personal reasons. And then we have the issue of misandry. Many male astronauts would be quite mad because they were not chosen purely for gender alone. Apparently, a little above 1/3rd of NASA is female(even less so in other organizations). I could see very disastrous things occurring during the launch by a disgruntled male employee, or by a majority of the males quitting due to sexism.

The selection process would be based on strictly scientific, medical and individual hard factors. Perceived pseudo-issues are of zero relevancy.

Hathian Prime wrote:4.) I do not want to exist in a world where survival is determined by gender and gender alone. We have had and will continue to have mixed sex societies. Biologically speaking(for Cis people), women tend to be more organized and smaller than men, allowing them to keep track of supplies and to get into areas the average man cannot. However, the average male is much more muscular and tend to have larger brains than the average female. The sexes are made to be complementary to one another. Men can do things women struggle with and vice versa. To solve the whole leader argument issue, make it a democracy. One person is selected based on skills and must overhear the opinions of every crewmate. Once on the planet, there can be more roles added and more laws made.

Survivial of the human race is determined by many factors. In this case it would be driven by absolute necessarities.

Hathian Prime
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Hathian Prime » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:00 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Hathian Prime wrote:I do not want to exist in a world where survival is determined by gender and gender alone. We have had and will continue to have mixed sex societies. Biologically speaking(for Cis people), women tend to be more organized and smaller than men, allowing them to keep track of supplies and to get into areas the average man cannot. However, the average male is much more muscular and tend to have larger brains than the average female. The sexes are made to be complementary to one another. Men can do things women struggle with and vice versa. To solve the whole leader argument issue, make it a democracy. One person is selected based on skills and must overhear the opinions of every crewmate. Once on the planet, there can be more roles added and more laws made.

Addressing the cis people qualifier, that's not actually that necessary (except in part for physical size, as height can be variant). Trends in brain differences are generally preserved across trans people of a particular gender just as they would be for cis people, and trans people who have been medically transitioning for two years or more generally reflect the same trends as cis people metabolically and physiologically (at least for musculature).
Kind of a small point, I know, but I feel that that misconception should be cleared up.

I'm fully aware. I was referring to OP's scenario of an all-female space crew, not one a crew of mixed sexes. There's the chance some cis females wouldn't be comfortable with a pre-transition female being in the crew for various reasons(which could result in public accusations of transphobia). Again, not demeaning trans-people, but a pre-transition female would be useless in OP's scenario, as they cannot give birth or reproduce. I may be wrong on the latter one, but from what I understand is that if Transgenders take enough estrogen/testosterone treatments they become infertile. If we're talking about post-transition females, then you'd have to find one willing to be artificially inseminated, which could lower the already small candidate list even further for trans people(Most trans people have not transitioned yet and some may be unwilling or unable to give birth).

Hathian Prime
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Hathian Prime » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:03 am

Aclion wrote:Not gonna happen. I have it on good authority that women like penis.

Hathian Prime wrote:And I nearly forgot this but

If you're incapable of running a space program good luck going to war with a nation that is.

I meant between larger nations, my bad for not expanding further. China and Russia would definitely be miffed if America decided that only Americans can go colonize a world and may decide to go the Lobster way of thinking(I can't live so you won't either).

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:07 am

Hathian Prime wrote:I'm fully aware. I was referring to OP's scenario of an all-female space crew, not one a crew of mixed sexes. There's the chance some cis females wouldn't be comfortable with a pre-transition female being in the crew for various reasons(which could result in public accusations of transphobia). Again, not demeaning trans-people, but a pre-transition female would be useless in OP's scenario, as they cannot give birth or reproduce. I may be wrong on the latter one, but from what I understand is that if Transgenders take enough estrogen/testosterone treatments they become infertile. If we're talking about post-transition females, then you'd have to find one willing to be artificially inseminated, which could lower the already small candidate list even further for trans people(Most trans people have not transitioned yet and some may be unwilling or unable to give birth).

No they would only use biological females with full reproductive ability on practical grounds. Because those are required for the mission.

In space nobody cares about public accusations.

The Jar Jar Jar of Jar Jar
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Jar Jar Jar of Jar Jar » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:08 am

This scenario actually reminds me of a book that I read a while back, Seveneves.

The Moon blew up for some reason or another, and the mission planners chose to go with 3/4 females and 1/4 men for reasons like this.

Of course, compounded disasters one after the other resulted in the mission to space being reduced to a handful of women and no men.

One of the characters even proposed not bringing men back.
The ever so slightly evil puppet of Stellar Colonies.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:13 am

Hathian Prime wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Addressing the cis people qualifier, that's not actually that necessary (except in part for physical size, as height can be variant). Trends in brain differences are generally preserved across trans people of a particular gender just as they would be for cis people, and trans people who have been medically transitioning for two years or more generally reflect the same trends as cis people metabolically and physiologically (at least for musculature).

I'm fully aware. I was referring to OP's scenario of an all-female space crew, not one a crew of mixed sexes. There's the chance some cis females wouldn't be comfortable with a pre-transition female being in the crew for various reasons(which could result in public accusations of transphobia). Again, not demeaning trans-people, but a pre-transition female would be useless in OP's scenario, as they cannot give birth or reproduce. I may be wrong on the latter one, but from what I understand is that if Transgenders take enough estrogen/testosterone treatments they become infertile.

Trans women taking estrogen often become infertile, but trans men can usually still be fertilized and have biological children if they still have their original plumbing (they just have to stop taking testosterone supplements during pregnancy and I think breastfeeding).
If we're talking about post-transition females, then you'd have to find one willing to be artificially inseminated, which could lower the already small candidate list even further for trans people(Most trans people have not transitioned yet and some may be unwilling or unable to give birth).

I'm a bit confused by your terminology here. By post-transition females, do you mean trans women who have had sexual reassignment surgery or trans men? Post-op trans women unfortunately can't have uterine transplants and even if they could, they'd need someone else's egg. Most trans men seem to not be keen on having biological children, if that's what you mean, so that's correct.

Hathian Prime
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Hathian Prime » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:15 am

Araraukar wrote:
Hathian Prime wrote:Well, those women are out of commission for 9 months. Then, you have the problem of raising children.

You think women stop being able to work from the moment of conception? :blink: And in some places (USA comes to mind as a western nation) the woman is expected to get back to work within a few weeks of giving birth, while in others (some third world nations) she has no choice but to be back at work within a few days. Also, daycare is a thing that exists even here on Earth.

I've lived through three pregnancies in my short life here on Earth. Of course, I know better than to assume a woman is out of commission the moment conception happens. It is the problem that astronauts work with dangerous materials and scenarios that, while mildly dangerous to them, would be highly detrimental to the growth of a child. Also, note "few weeks". These few weeks can also result in death(nearly happened with my mom when she gave birth to me) and will decommission the woman for an extended period of time. If we were to have 25 men and 25 females(assuming the craft in question fits 50), the average male can do far more physical labor than the average female. I have no clue if NASA is the same as the military, but here we go. In the USMC, males must perform an absolute bare minimum of 3 pull-ups. Women do a 15-second hang. The youngest Male recruits are expected to complete a 3 mile run in under 30 minutes. The youngest females are given 31-32 minutes, which granted, isn't as big of a difference. But assuming NASA is similar in this regard, the males will be stronger than the females. This means that if 5 women go down with being pregnant, the men would be able to work overtime to replace these 5 women's tasks. Not only that, but we aren't factoring in the time it would take for the astronauts to recover from 7 months of zero-g.

Hathian Prime
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Hathian Prime » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:17 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Hathian Prime wrote:
I'm fully aware. I was referring to OP's scenario of an all-female space crew, not one a crew of mixed sexes. There's the chance some cis females wouldn't be comfortable with a pre-transition female being in the crew for various reasons(which could result in public accusations of transphobia). Again, not demeaning trans-people, but a pre-transition female would be useless in OP's scenario, as they cannot give birth or reproduce. I may be wrong on the latter one, but from what I understand is that if Transgenders take enough estrogen/testosterone treatments they become infertile.

Trans women taking estrogen often become infertile, but trans men can usually still be fertilized and have biological children if they still have their original plumbing (they just have to stop taking testosterone supplements during pregnancy and I think breastfeeding).
If we're talking about post-transition females, then you'd have to find one willing to be artificially inseminated, which could lower the already small candidate list even further for trans people(Most trans people have not transitioned yet and some may be unwilling or unable to give birth).

I'm a bit confused by your terminology here. By post-transition females, do you mean trans women who have had sexual reassignment surgery or trans men? Post-op trans women unfortunately can't have uterine transplants and even if they could, they'd need someone else's egg. Most trans men seem to not be keen on having biological children, if that's what you mean, so that's correct.

Was referring to post-op women. And dang, that sucks a ton. Hopefully the future will fix that if a post-op woman wants children.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:19 am

Hathian Prime wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Trans women taking estrogen often become infertile, but trans men can usually still be fertilized and have biological children if they still have their original plumbing (they just have to stop taking testosterone supplements during pregnancy and I think breastfeeding).

Was referring to post-op women. And dang, that sucks a ton. Hopefully the future will fix that if a post-op woman wants children.

Probably once technology has sufficiently progressed people can be grown in vat tanks.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General