NATION

PASSWORD

Cold War Scenario: False Alarm or Real Danger?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:26 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
I'm not losing my job (or worse) or seeing my country get nuked without the capacity to retaliate on the off-chance the warning system is wrong

That's you. You are not me.

What possible reason could you have to put your own career on the line on the off-chance the warning system happens to maybe be wrong (which your employers have entrusted you with the task of observing and responding to without question)
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 am

Purgatio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Nope.

I'm not losing my job (or worse) or seeing my country get nuked without the capacity to retaliate on the off-chance the warning system is wrong

There’s no harm in having the missiles confirmed. Because even if they are real there’s no stopping them. It would take way less than 8 minutes to confirm it.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 am

Purgatio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:That's you. You are not me.

What possible reason could you have to put your own career on the line on the off-chance the warning system happens to maybe be wrong (which your employers have entrusted you with the task of observing and responding to without question)

Read my responses and you will find out. ;)
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:30 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

There’s no harm in having the missiles confirmed. Because even if they are real there’s no stopping them. It would take way less than 8 minutes to confirm it.

Confirmed? Confirmed through what, the point of the warning system is to detect and indicate whether or not missiles are headed straight for Soviet territory, from the US, and your one job is to observe the warning system and inform Soviet High Command if the reading is positive. So just do it. The decision whether or not to retaliate is Soviet High Command's, as a military officer you don't have the right to unilaterally countermand your superior's orders or just decide not to do your job and your duty because you 'feel' like the system 'might', 'possibly' be wrong
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:31 am

Purgatio wrote:

Read my responses and you will find out. ;)

A system being new isn't a reason to doubt its accuracy

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:32 am

Purgatio wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:There’s no harm in having the missiles confirmed. Because even if they are real there’s no stopping them. It would take way less than 8 minutes to confirm it.

Confirmed? Confirmed through what, the point of the warning system is to detect and indicate whether or not missiles are headed straight for Soviet territory, from the US, and your one job is to observe the warning system and inform Soviet High Command if the reading is positive. So just do it. The decision whether or not to retaliate is Soviet High Command's, as a military officer you don't have the right to unilaterally countermand your superior's orders or just decide not to do your job and your duty because you 'feel' like the system 'might', 'possibly' be wrong

There are several different components to an EW system that confirms detections by the other components you know...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 am

Purgatio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Read my responses and you will find out. ;)

Brand new systems, including military ones, have a tendency to have rollout glitches. This system was implemented mere days ago, so the odds of glitches are high.

Wave on, wave on

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 am

Purgatio wrote:

There are several different components to an EW system that confirms detections by the other components you know...

You mentioned the Duga OTH radar, which Soviet High Command is probably going to check anyway. I don't see the value of reporting your doubts about the accuracy of the warning system's indication, your job is just to report positive readings and let Soviet High Command make their own decision, which will likely include confirming detections using these other components irregardless of what you say or recommend

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 am

Purgatio wrote:

Brand new systems, including military ones, have a tendency to have rollout glitches. This system was implemented mere days ago, so the odds of glitches are high.

Sure, so report the positive reading and let Soviet High Command decide at their own discretion how much weight to place on it

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:35 am

Purgatio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:There are several different components to an EW system that confirms detections by the other components you know...

You mentioned the Duga OTH radar, which Soviet High Command is probably going to check anyway. I don't see the value of reporting your doubts about the accuracy of the warning system's indication, your job is just to report positive readings and let Soviet High Command make their own decision, which will likely include confirming detections using these other components irregardless of what you say or recommend

An officer has a duty to report any potential malfunctions. That is all that I am doing...

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:36 am

Purgatio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Brand new systems, including military ones, have a tendency to have rollout glitches. This system was implemented mere days ago, so the odds of glitches are high.

Sure, so report the positive reading and let Soviet High Command decide at their own discretion how much weight to place on it

But again I'd report that it could potentially be a glitch.

Wave on, wave on

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:36 am

Purgatio wrote:

An officer has a duty to report any potential malfunctions. That is all that I am doing...

But you're not telling Soviet High Command anything they don't know. There's no evidence of a malfunction beyond a 'mere feeling' and suspicion based on the fact that the system is new (which Soviet High Command already knows) so I don't see the added value of advising Soviet High Command to distrust the positive reading unless you have external evidence of a glitch beyond conjecture or speculation

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:39 am

Purgatio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:An officer has a duty to report any potential malfunctions. That is all that I am doing...

But you're not telling Soviet High Command anything they don't know. There's no evidence of a malfunction beyond a 'mere feeling' and suspicion based on the fact that the system is new (which Soviet High Command already knows) so I don't see the added value of advising Soviet High Command to distrust the positive reading unless you have external evidence of a glitch beyond conjecture or speculation

If I had a feeling that it was a glitch then I need to attach that to my report. Not doing so would be negligent.

Wave on, wave on

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:42 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Option 1

I would obey my orders, which are to report what I see on the radar

If they start a nuclear war, I am blameless

I was just following orders

You’d be dead

Is it not my job to report what I see on the radar?

I don’t think I did anything wrong

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:43 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:You’d be dead

You wouldn't be able to think anything when the ground burst warhead carves your bunker out of the ground...

Wave on, wave on

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:43 am

Purgatio wrote:

If I had a feeling that it was a glitch then I need to attach that to my report. Not doing so would be negligent.

It's a feeling. It's a feeling based on nothing. If I was asked to prosecute someone who I had a 'feeling' could be innocent, but had no proof of it, why should I inform my superiors of my 'feeling', how are they supposed to put any weight on a mere 'feeling' backed up by nothing else or extrinsic evidence. What's negligent is if there were actual extrinsic evidence suggesting the positive reading is wrong and not attaching that to the report, but not attaching a 'feeling' isn't. Your superiors don't need to know all your inner speculations.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:44 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

You wouldn't be able to think anything when the ground burst warhead carves your bunker out of the ground...

It was still his job. Nothing wrong with doing your job.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:46 am

Purgatio wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:There’s no harm in having the missiles confirmed. Because even if they are real there’s no stopping them. It would take way less than 8 minutes to confirm it.

As a military office you job is also to think. There is a reason they assigned an officer to the post.
I seriously doubt the orders say “never offer any input as to the validity of the system’s readouts”.
After all if that was the objective why have an officer with a college education, or anyone there at all? Why not just have the machine send and automated alert to the command then?

You are not allowed to unilaterally go against your orders (in most cases), but you can and should go above and beyond just the bare minimum.
Unless the orders say you cannot offer any analysis (which would make no sense) you can and should do so.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:48 am

Novus America wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

As a military office you job is also to think. There is a reason they assigned an officer to the post.
I seriously doubt the orders say “never offer any input as to the validity of the system’s readouts”.
After all if that was the objective why have an officer with a college education, or anyone there at all? Why not just have the machine send and automated alert to the command then?

You are not allowed to unilaterally go against your orders (in most cases), but you can and should go above and beyond just the bare minimum.
Unless the orders say you cannot offer any analysis (which would make no sense) you can and should do so.

I agree, and if there is any evidence or facts which suggest the reading is wrong or inaccurate, you ought to attach that to your report, but so far the only arguments made so far (e.g. that the system is new, that there are other means of verifying the accuracy of the reading like the Duga OTH radar system) is information that Soviet High Command has anyway, there's no value in telling them to do these things or giving them information they already have. The only additional information is you have a 'feeling' that the system could be wrong....but that's all it is. A feeling. How much weight can you really give to that? Nothing. Going beyond the bare minimum is reporting facts that indicate the positive reading is wrong, not mere feelings or speculations.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:48 am

Purgatio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:If I had a feeling that it was a glitch then I need to attach that to my report. Not doing so would be negligent.

It's a feeling. It's a feeling based on nothing. If I was asked to prosecute someone who I had a 'feeling' could be innocent, but had no proof of it, why should I inform my superiors of my 'feeling', how are they supposed to put any weight on a mere 'feeling' backed up by nothing else or extrinsic evidence. What's negligent is if there were actual extrinsic evidence suggesting the positive reading is wrong and not attaching that to the report, but not attaching a 'feeling' isn't. Your superiors don't need to know all your inner speculations.

I'd report it as a potential glitch based on the fact that an actual launch would involve more than the number given in the OP, I'm not just pulling that feeling from where the sun don't shine.

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:49 am

Purgatio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:You wouldn't be able to think anything when the ground burst warhead carves your bunker out of the ground...

Except his job made him dead. ;)

Wave on, wave on

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:50 am

Purgatio wrote:

I'd report it as a potential glitch based on the fact that an actual launch would involve more than the number given in the OP, I'm not just pulling that feeling from where the sun don't shine.

Which isn't information Soviet High Command won't have, when you make your report you can tell them how many missiles the warning system is reading and they'll take into account this factor regardless.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:50 am

Purgatio wrote:

Except his job made him dead. ;)

As far as he's concerned at the time the report is made, not making the report to Soviet High Command is the choice which could make him dead

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:51 am

Purgatio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I'd report it as a potential glitch based on the fact that an actual launch would involve more than the number given in the OP, I'm not just pulling that feeling from where the sun don't shine.

Which isn't information Soviet High Command won't have, when you make your report you can tell them how many missiles the warning system is reading and they'll take into account this factor regardless.

So there's nothing wrong with me attaching a note to the report that it is in my opinion that the readings are wrong, is there? ;)

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:53 am

Purgatio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Except his job made him dead. ;)

As far as he's concerned at the time the report is made, not making the report to Soviet High Command is the choice which could make him dead

Catch 22 then.

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General