NATION

PASSWORD

House Holds Panel on Slave Reparations

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

House Holds Panel on Slave Reparations

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:02 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ?ocid=AMZN

Te-nehisi coats, cory booker, danny glover. What do these names have in common? They were all interviewed by the house today in a panel on American reparations for antebellum slavery. In the year 2019, we are debating whether Americans should pay reparations for slavery in the 1800s. The subject is touchy and people on both sides of the aisle are passionate about their view of monetary compensation for the enslavement of the ancestors of not only most black americans, but millions of Americans of other races as well (There are actually quite a few white Americans and some Hispanic Americans who had black African slave ancestors in america). Today's exploratory panel comes only a few months after candidates such as Elizabeth Warren, Tulsi Gabbard, Kamala Harris and Cory Booker threw their support behind the move, but it is still uncertain how the government would make reparations work, assuming they ever actually instated such a policy. Who would the money go to? Who has to pay? How much money would the US give? These are difficult questions with no easy answers and everyone is jumping into the debate. I now turn the floor over to the rest of you. What are your opinions on reparations in america? HOw would you make it happen if you support reparations? Who would be eligible? when would the reparations occur? I'm sure the sparks will really fly in this debate and the only rule I'm setting as the ground rule is that I'm setting no rules. Let the conflict, I mean discourse, begin.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Who will pay for these reparations, who gets them? How much?

None of that matters because reparations are fucking stupid in this context.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:34 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:Who will pay for these reparations, who gets them? How much?

I’d assume the federal government would pay it. Though it’s a silly thing anyway
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:35 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:Who will pay for these reparations, who gets them? How much?

I’d assume the federal government would pay it. Though it’s a silly thing anyway

And where are they getting this money from?
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:37 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I’d assume the federal government would pay it. Though it’s a silly thing anyway

And where are they getting this money from?

Our taxes?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 pm

Where's my check at?

And anyway, who do they give it to? Full? Mixed? All? Anyone who's even close to woahvickky in 1% blackness? How?
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:41 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:And where are they getting this money from?

Our taxes?

Which includes the taxes of the decedents of slaves, people who’s families never owned slaves etc etc.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Where's my check at?

And anyway, who do they give it to? Full? Mixed? All? Anyone who's even close to woahvickky in 1% blackness? How?
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Our taxes?

Which includes the taxes of the decedents of slaves, people who’s families never owned slaves etc etc.

I really doubt it would include the taxes of decedents.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:50 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Our taxes?

I'll be sure to remember this next time conservatives start throwing around collective guilt.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:53 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:

How do you determine who is a descendant and how do you exempt them? And what if your family was neither slave nor master? My mom's side of the family probably has some African slave ancestors in its past and dad's side was in the white valley of Lebanon during the 1800s
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Fostoria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Fostoria » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:53 pm

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:

How do you determine who is a descendant and how do you exempt them? And what if your family was neither slave nor master? My mom's side of the family probably has some African slave ancestors in its past and dad's side was in the white valley of Lebanon during the 1800s

Loben said decedents, not descendants ;)
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Right, I'm not a decendent of a slave, just a potential descendant

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:11 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:

That would be absolutely silly and against so many laws
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:12 pm

The South Falls wrote:Where's my check at?

Right. If slaves are getting reparations where’s my check for the crimes committed against the natives?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Since I was never a slave owner nor am I a descendant of a slave owner, I owe the descendants of slaves nothing.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:14 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

F.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:15 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Since I was never a slave owner nor am I a descendant of a slave owner, I owe the descendants of slaves nothing.

In 2019, that's considered a racist thought

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:15 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Since I was never a slave owner nor am I a descendant of a slave owner, I owe the descendants of slaves nothing.

How?
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

How?

Because according to the forces of blacktivism, you owe them reparations for what people that kinda looked like you did to their ancestors in 1856. It's ridiculous but being an SJW is about thinking with emotions and not with logic

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:18 pm

I understand why some would feel like reparations are necessary, but nobody who was actually a slave is alive today, so you're basically just giving people free money because their ancestors were treated poorly. Reparations shouldn't be a thing for events happening that far in the past.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:How?

Because according to the forces of blacktivism, you owe them reparations for what people that kinda looked like you did to their ancestors in 1856. It's ridiculous but being an SJW is about thinking with emotions and not with logic

This^^

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:19 pm

75% of my family is German, Irish, Jewish or some other Europeans and hasn’t been in the US longer than the 1850s. 10% has been in the US since before the revolution but they where poor as fuck, and the last bits are all Native Americans.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:20 pm

What an utter waste of taxpayer money.
squid
female who is (unapologetically) in love with females ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5.75, -5.33

Next