NATION

PASSWORD

Creationism in Public Schools

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think?

Public schools should only teach evolution
75%
Public schools should teach evolution and creation science
20%
Public schools should only teach creation science
5%

Total votes : 488

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:51 am

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Or trying to be more honest. It depends.

No. No, no, no. No.

Just... no.

You really should not keep holding on to this thing. It is not in any way honest by virtue of its inherent nature, and it does you no favors to keep to it.

I'm not sure of it now anyway.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:56 am

Geneviev wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Those that haven't lied are willfully ignorant. ID is simply another form of creationism, with no more science then creationism.

Amazing how many Christians seem to have no issue accepting/ (or in the case of most scientists in the field) promoting evolution/geology/astronomy/etc.

At least intelligent design tried to be more scientific.

It didn't that is the point I am making. There is nothing scientific in ID because it fails in the most basic of things, to follow the scientific method. Since it fails in following the method, it cannot be scientific. What is worse is that t least simple creationism does not attempt to claim to be more scientific, unlike ID, meaning that ID actually undermines science more then creationism does.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 am

Geneviev wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:This is a pattern with them. Their arguments turn out to be wrong a lot. And a lot of the time, the way that they're wrong is that they misrepresent actual science and what science says.

And that is why I say that they lie and mislead. Because they do.

So I'll say it again - and I really hope it gets through even though suspect it may not - ID does not deserve to be placed on a pedestal, or held up as a "reasonable" alternative to Creationism. I get that stepping away from Creationism may be uncomfortable for you, but ID is not where you want to stop. You'll find, in time, that it has all the same problems Creationism had.

I would hope that the people who lie are only a small group in intelligent design, but even if they're not, it's the only alternative to YEC that is still Christian.

No it isn't. Apart from all of the other examples already mentioned in this discussion, the Pope disagrees.

Also, it continues to not be an alternative to YEC, it's just YEC LARPing as something else.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:45 am

Geneviev wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Those that haven't lied are willfully ignorant. ID is simply another form of creationism, with no more science then creationism.

Amazing how many Christians seem to have no issue accepting/ (or in the case of most scientists in the field) promoting evolution/geology/astronomy/etc.

At least intelligent design tried to be more scientific.

No it didn't. What hypotheses did it test? What predictions did it make? What experiments did it do to test those predictions? How did it modify its hypotheses to account for that new evidence. The answer to all of those questions is "it didn't", because it's not science, it never tried to be science, its YEC in a lab coat.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:01 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I would hope that the people who lie are only a small group in intelligent design, but even if they're not, it's the only alternative to YEC that is still Christian.

No it isn't. Apart from all of the other examples already mentioned in this discussion, the Pope disagrees.

Also, it continues to not be an alternative to YEC, it's just YEC LARPing as something else.

*flings nerf ball at biology teacher*

“I cast God of the Gaps Missile!”
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:36 am

Geneviev wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Theistic Evolution exists. I have my problems with it, but it is real.

It's not Christian.

No true Scotsman.

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's not Christian.

I’ll take ‘which way do Catholics lean’ for a thousand, Alex.

According to Pew, most Christian congregations lean to evolution either helped or allowed for by God.

I'm personally in the (not much lesser represented) natural evolution statistic, but...
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:19 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Geneviev wrote:At least intelligent design tried to be more scientific.

No it didn't. What hypotheses did it test? What predictions did it make? What experiments did it do to test those predictions? How did it modify its hypotheses to account for that new evidence. The answer to all of those questions is "it didn't", because it's not science, it never tried to be science, its YEC in a lab coat.

Then I was wrong.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:32 am

Geneviev wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Theistic Evolution exists. I have my problems with it, but it is real.

It's not Christian.

The Catholic Church and most mainstream Protestant organizations believe in "theistic evolution" I don't know about the Orthodox churches, but YEC is a fringe belief within Christianity.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:52 am

Page wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's not Christian.

The Catholic Church and most mainstream Protestant organizations believe in "theistic evolution" I don't know about the Orthodox churches, but YEC is a fringe belief within Christianity.

It's more common with Christians who believe the whole Bible.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:53 am

Geneviev wrote:
Page wrote:

Virtually all Christians believe in the whole Bible, it's more so a question of how literally it's taken.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:56 am

Page wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's more common with Christians who believe the whole Bible.

Virtually all Christians believe in the whole Bible, it's more so a question of how literally it's taken.

That's what I meant.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:08 am

Geneviev wrote:
Page wrote:

That's what I meant.

That's possibly something to do with it:
Percentage of Americans who believe the Bible is the literal word of God: 24%.

Percentage of Americans who believe in creationism: 18%.

Of course, correlation is not causation.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:52 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Page wrote:

I don't know about exactly how many of the tiny handful of such people who actually exist think such, but I also don't know why anybody should care.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Evolution is Creationism.

Pope Frank said it best: "God isn't a magician."
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:Evolution is Creationism.

Pope Frank said it best: "God isn't a magician."

Ok. I need to test your statement. How do I test for your god?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's more common with Christians who believe the whole Bible.

I don't know about exactly how many of the tiny handful of such people who actually exist think such, but I also don't know why anybody should care.

I was just saying it's not a fringe belief in certain denominations of Christianity.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

I was just saying it's not a fringe belief in certain denominations of Christianity.

No, you were making a statement about the group of people "Christians who believe the whole Bible". The number of such people who exist is fucking tiny, and thus their beliefs are fucking irrelevant to whether or not something is a fringe belief.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

The Natufian Nation
Attaché

Founded: Jul 09, 2017
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Natufian Nation » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:15 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Natufian Nation wrote:I am speaking here as a biologist who also has religious affinities. There are so many directions I could go in talking about evolution, which is one of my areas of study, but I will try to keep with the topic of the thread.

No, public schools should not be teaching creationism or its rebranding known as Intelligent Design. Creationism is not a science and is clearly a religious doctrine. The US courts affirmed this in Kitzmiller v Dover, 2005.

Furthermore, evolution is one of the most successful explanatory theories in all of natural science and within biology, I think the words of Theodosius Dobzhansky best captures its significance, "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution".

You have as much of a chance of showing lifeforms are derived from special creation instead of change over time (evolution) as you do showing that sickness is caused by demons and not organic pathogens.

THAT SAID, I think a lot of the hostility towards evolution from people with religious inclinations can be defused by making the point that as a scientific theory, evolution makes absolutely no religious claims whatsoever. It is entirely possible to recognize the validity of evolution and maintain a belief in God in some form. Even in the Catholic Church, the encyclical Humani Generis states evolution is not incompatible with Christian faith. When you quit using the Bible as a history book, there is a lot of exciting work being done in theology that incorporates evolution. In process theology, as one example, evolution is actually essential to understanding the divine nature. But that is for a religious class, not a science class.

Thanks, everyone

This post should be highlighted for how well written, thoughtful and unbiased it is. I’m not being sarcastic at all. Really, thanks for posting this.

You're welcome and thanks for your comment, Nanatsu no Tsuki. I appreciate the feedback!

The Natufian Nation
Attaché

Founded: Jul 09, 2017
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Natufian Nation » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:22 pm

Godular wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I wasn’t saying you did. I’m just pointing out that their rejection is their shortcoming.

Yes.

On that we agree.

My main point was that it would still be a tall order to convince them that evolution doesn't make claims about religion when they rather specifically made it so their religion would be directly affected by scientific concepts. Yes, it is their fault. That doesn't make things easier.

Yes, I think you are spot-on about that. It is difficult to get creationists to see this but I would try to put it as succinctly as I could like this:
The science of evolution is not making any religious claims as such. Any conflicts they may perceive is a result of a religion that makes scientific claims which are false. But if they can focus on religion as a message of meaning and purpose instead of an account of history and the natural world, there is an opportunity to develop a deeper theology than the Thomistic heritage from the middle ages and move the conversation forward. Right now we seem stuck in this baffling willfull ignorance about the method, scope and reliability of science.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:40 pm

The Natufian Nation wrote:
Godular wrote:
Yes.

On that we agree.

My main point was that it would still be a tall order to convince them that evolution doesn't make claims about religion when they rather specifically made it so their religion would be directly affected by scientific concepts. Yes, it is their fault. That doesn't make things easier.

Yes, I think you are spot-on about that. It is difficult to get creationists to see this but I would try to put it as succinctly as I could like this:
The science of evolution is not making any religious claims as such. Any conflicts they may perceive is a result of a religion that makes scientific claims which are false. But if they can focus on religion as a message of meaning and purpose instead of an account of history and the natural world, there is an opportunity to develop a deeper theology than the Thomistic heritage from the middle ages and move the conversation forward. Right now we seem stuck in this baffling willfull ignorance about the method, scope and reliability of science.

Even if evolution itself isn't making religious claim, it does contradict the beliefs of Evangelical Christians. To make them more open to evolution, it would be necessary to change the religion itself, and that is not possible, especially for Evangelical Christians. They depend on the truth of the Bible and it will not be possible to change that.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Geneviev wrote:

Even if evolution itself isn't making religious claim, it does contradict the beliefs of Evangelical Christians. To make them more open to evolution, it would be necessary to change the religion itself, and that is not possible, especially for Evangelical Christians. They depend on the truth of the Bible and it will not be possible to change that.

They are very willing to accept that parts of the bible are written in parable, why can't the creation myth be part of the bible written in parable? Does being parable make it less "truth"?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Even if evolution itself isn't making religious claim, it does contradict the beliefs of Evangelical Christians. To make them more open to evolution, it would be necessary to change the religion itself, and that is not possible, especially for Evangelical Christians. They depend on the truth of the Bible and it will not be possible to change that.

They are very willing to accept that parts of the bible are written in parable, why can't the creation myth be part of the bible written in parable? Does being parable make it less "truth"?

The parables were introduced as parables or with a simile to make it clear that they were parables. Genesis is not written in that form. If you believe that the whole Bible is true, you also have to accept Genesis as fact.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:02 pm

Godular wrote:
Yes.

On that we agree.

Aye, entirely too many are willing to let their church do all their thinking for them. I have heard some folks rather literally admit to exactly that thing. Left me somewhat flabbergasted at how easily someone would just up and throw away their free will like that.

They also used 'liberal' as a swear word. Bit of a tangent, that, but seems rather telling.

Geneviev wrote:Even if evolution itself isn't making religious claim, it does contradict the beliefs of Evangelical Christians. To make them more open to evolution, it would be necessary to change the religion itself, and that is not possible, especially for Evangelical Christians. They depend on the truth of the Bible and it will not be possible to change that.

Then such is their problem. If their faith is based on such a flimsy foundation they should maybe see about revising their outlook. Science does it all the time.
Last edited by Godular on Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:They are very willing to accept that parts of the bible are written in parable, why can't the creation myth be part of the bible written in parable? Does being parable make it less "truth"?

The parables were introduced as parables or with a simile to make it clear that they were parables. Genesis is not written in that form. If you believe that the whole Bible is true, you also have to accept Genesis as fact.

This despite the fact that geological evidence contradicts Genesis on several points. I’d call that willful ignorance, really.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:08 pm

Godular wrote:

Then such is their problem. If their faith is based on such a flimsy foundation they should maybe see about revising their outlook. Science does it all the time.

Their religion doesn't allow that. They will always have to deny evolution and anything else that contradicts the Bible.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Geneviev wrote:The parables were introduced as parables or with a simile to make it clear that they were parables. Genesis is not written in that form. If you believe that the whole Bible is true, you also have to accept Genesis as fact.

This despite the fact that geological evidence contradicts Genesis on several points. I’d call that willful ignorance, really.

They get their information from a different source.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General