NATION

PASSWORD

Creationism in Public Schools

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think?

Public schools should only teach evolution
75%
Public schools should teach evolution and creation science
20%
Public schools should only teach creation science
5%

Total votes : 488

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Aclion wrote:
Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:We were taught both in my high school. When the teacher said that "Evolution means we come from apes" I objected. I told him he was incorrect and he told me to leave.

Evolution means humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor. Proven via miller/urey. Creationism means we don't know where/when existence began so here is a myth. I consider creation myths an important part of culture but they should not be taught in a publicly funded school.

Our common ancestor was an ape though...

I've actually heard some people advocate we are monkeys for the same reason (old world monkeys and new world monkeys make this the case)
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:06 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Aclion wrote:Our common ancestor was an ape though...

I've actually heard some people advocate we are monkeys for the same reason (old world monkeys and new world monkeys make this the case)

If "monkey" is defined as being a member of Haplorhini, then we are monkeys. The term is a bit ambiguous, though.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:09 pm

I went to Catholic school. All my school life, from preschool to high school graduation. Anything religious was relegated to the religion class. Our science classes limited themselves to teach science. Religion never factored in in those.

I don’t get why some want creationism, which is probably a topic best discussed at Sunday school, to be taught at a science class.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Geneviev wrote:The US Supreme Court has not allowed creation science to be taught in public schools since 1968, when it invalidated an Arkansas law that didn't allow evolution to be taught in schools (Epperson v. Arkansas). The Supreme Court continued to encourage evolution instead of creation science in Edwards v. Aguillard, in which it held teaching of creation science along with evolution to be unconstitutional. However, many scientists believe that there is more scientific evidence for creation.

Christian groups have attempted to bring creation science back into public schools since it was banned. South Carolina's House Bill 3826, while unsuccessful, proposed teaching creation science in schools. However, none of these attempts have been successful.

What do you think, NSG? Should public schools be allowed to teach creation science? Should they teach evolution and creation science? Or is creation science unconstitutional?

I think creation and evolution should both be taught equally so students in public schools can choose for themselves what they believe. Although it would be unconstitutional if only the Christian perspective is taught, other religions could also be taught.

Depends on the context. If you're talking about curriculum for science classes, then only evolution should be presented. If you're talking about an elective course on mythology then sure, creation myths can be taught in there.
Such heroic nonsense!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I've actually heard some people advocate we are monkeys for the same reason (old world monkeys and new world monkeys make this the case)

If "monkey" is defined as being a member of Haplorhini, then we are monkeys. The term is a bit ambiguous, though.

Yep, kinda like reptile or fish.
Just A Little though

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I went to Catholic school. All my school life, from preschool to high school graduation. Anything religious was relegated to the religion class. Our science classes limited themselves to teach science. Religion never factored in in those.

I don’t get why some want creationism, which is probably a topic best discussed at Sunday school, to be taught at a science class.

Yea, creationism seems like the kind of thing that's taught in ultrareligious private schools do.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:If "monkey" is defined as being a member of Haplorhini, then we are monkeys. The term is a bit ambiguous, though.

Yep, kinda like reptile or fish.

It's generally polyphyletic Platyrrhini and Cercopithecidae tho, so it's not really an issue (since that excludes apes -> humans).

Kremlinian Russia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kremlinian Russia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 pm

New Legland wrote:Creationism has no place in any schools. The scientific consensus is against it, and as such, it can't be taught as fact.

Geneviev wrote:If you scroll down, here's a list of creation scientists.

Funny how more scientists signed this.

Project Steve sounds unironically based as fuck.
Stalin's hammer on NS
Nation politics reflect real life politics (yes, even the gulags).

"Three keys to success: read, read, read." - V.I. Lenin

A 18 civilization, according to this index. (18 based on my own maths using the formula in the thread, may be wrong).
- Tier 6 Technology
- Level 0 Magic
- Type 4 Influence

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:13 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I went to Catholic school. All my school life, from preschool to high school graduation. Anything religious was relegated to the religion class. Our science classes limited themselves to teach science. Religion never factored in in those.

Yea, creationism seems like the kind of thing that's taught in ultrareligious private schools do.

It’s kind of like wanting to teach numerology in math class. I mean, ok, numbers are involved but numerology has nothing to do with a school curriculum. Unless you study it as an elective at uni.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:We were taught both in my high school. When the teacher said that "Evolution means we come from apes" I objected. I told him he was incorrect and he told me to leave.

Evolution means humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor. Proven via miller/urey. Creationism means we don't know where/when existence began so here is a myth. I consider creation myths an important part of culture but they should not be taught in a publicly funded school.

"Ape" itself is not a very specific term. Ape itself is a term applied to a group of tailless primates including a sub segment known as the Great Apes. By the accepted definition of what constitutes "The apes" and more specifically "The Great Apes" Homo Sapiens are a member of the Great Apes along with Chimpanzees, Bonobos, Gorillas and Orangutans. It's more accurate to say homo sapiens are apes.

You would be hard pressed to come up with some criteria for defining an ape which would not encompass homo sapiens as well.
Last edited by Tekania on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Such heroic nonsense!

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Tekania wrote:

"Ape" itself is not a very specific term. Ape itself is a term applied to a group of tailless primates including a sub segment known as the Great Apes. By the accepted definition of what constitutes "The apes" and more specifically "The Great Apes" Homo Sapiens are a member of the Great Apes along with Chimpanzees, Bonobos, Gorillas and Orangutans. It's more accurate to say homo sapiens are apes.

Biologist cringe. Binomial names always need to be italicized with the first term in title case and the second all lowercase: Homo sapiens sapiens, Gromphadorhina portentosa, etc.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Yea, creationism seems like the kind of thing that's taught in ultrareligious private schools do.

It’s kind of like wanting to teach numerology in math class. I mean, ok, numbers are involved but numerology has nothing to do with a school curriculum. Unless you study it as an elective at uni.

666 is the hell number kids. So anyone who's six is getting cast out.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:19 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

666 is the hell number kids. So anyone who's six is getting cast out.

Or gets to study with Madonna.
Slava Ukraini

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Tekania wrote:

Biologist cringe. Binomial names always need to be italicized with the first term in title case and the second all lowercase: Homo sapiens sapiens, Gromphadorhina portentosa, etc.

No, there should be half upper-case and half lower-case letters in each, unless there are an odd number of letters, in which case the name should be changed to an even number of letters, except on Wednesdays. Ultimately, yes, but does it matter in this discussion? I'm more surprised no one jumped on the Unstoppable Empire of Doom about the Miller-Urey experiment proving we evolved from apes.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Biologist cringe. Binomial names always need to be italicized with the first term in title case and the second all lowercase: Homo sapiens sapiens, Gromphadorhina portentosa, etc.

No, there should be half upper-case and half lower-case letters in each, unless there are an odd number of letters, in which case the name should be changed to an even number of letters, except on Wednesdays. Ultimately, yes, but does it matter in this discussion? I'm more surprised no one jumped on the Unstoppable Empire of Doom about the Miller-Urey experiment proving we evolved from apes.

That's what happens when you skim posts, I missed that part.
Just A Little though

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No, there should be half upper-case and half lower-case letters in each, unless there are an odd number of letters, in which case the name should be changed to an even number of letters, except on Wednesdays. Ultimately, yes, but does it matter in this discussion? I'm more surprised no one jumped on the Unstoppable Empire of Doom about the Miller-Urey experiment proving we evolved from apes.

That's what happens when you skim posts, I missed that part.

When you're a Mod you almost always skim posts. Otherwise we'd be doing thread trawls from 2016.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Biologist cringe. Binomial names always need to be italicized with the first term in title case and the second all lowercase: Homo sapiens sapiens, Gromphadorhina portentosa, etc.

Yeah, what does that have to do with anything?

The Miller-Urey experiment just proved that creating the acids necessary for is possible in nature, not that humans absolutely must have evolved from apes/their ancestors
العرب الأحرار
I don't use NS Stats, for they are against the will of Liberty and God.

News
Open to TGs

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Indeed. While abiogenesis experiments are nice as far has helping along the abiogenesis hypothesis (or more accurately, hypotheses as there are still competing hypotheses in that area). That itself has no relevance on the evolution of modern humans from their ancestors. Evolution is proven and established irrespective of abiogenesis. Whether life on earth was created via abiogensis, via seeding, or by some unknown creator being..... it evolved from there. miller/urey would just establish a possible set of conditions of mechanisms that could produce the initial genesis of life.
Such heroic nonsense!

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:30 pm

The Bible is not and will never be a scientific textbook and I find it absurd that people would attempt to abuse it in this way. It makes God to be nothing more than a liar who would create an elaborate system of creation for us to discover solely to deceive us. The fact is that organisms lived millions and even billions of years before us and evolved into more complex organisms.
Last edited by Vetalia on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:31 pm

Vetalia wrote:The Bible is not and will never be a scientific textbook and I find it absurd that people would attempt to abuse it in this way. It makes God to be nothing more than a liar who would create an elaborate system of creation for us to discover solely to deceive us.

I mean, if you want to take it as such, go ahead. Do so, at church or at home. Just not on a public school curriculum.
Slava Ukraini

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I mean, if you want to take it as such, go ahead. Do so, at church or at home. Just not on a public school curriculum.

I agree 100%
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

'cause it looked like a badly mangled edit that went with the next sentence:

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:Evolution means humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor. Proven via miller/urey. Creationism means we don't know where/when existence began so here is a myth.

When one is arguing between truth and falsehood, there's little reason to poke at the mistakes in statements of truth. Something about a mote in your brother's eye, or while ignoring the beam in your enemy's. Or something like that. :P
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Vetalia wrote:The Bible is not and will never be a scientific textbook and I find it absurd that people would attempt to abuse it in this way.

Perhaps if it hadn't made definite claims about the origins of life and the history of the universe then people might not make that mistake?

Vetalia wrote:It makes God to be nothing more than a liar who would create an elaborate system of creation for us to discover solely to deceive us.

Or it goes a step further and hints that God doesn't exist perhaps.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:35 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No, there should be half upper-case and half lower-case letters in each, unless there are an odd number of letters, in which case the name should be changed to an even number of letters, except on Wednesdays. Ultimately, yes, but does it matter in this discussion? I'm more surprised no one jumped on the Unstoppable Empire of Doom about the Miller-Urey experiment proving we evolved from apes.

'cause it looked like a badly mangled edit that went with the next sentence:

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:Evolution means humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor. Proven via miller/urey. Creationism means we don't know where/when existence began so here is a myth.

When one is arguing between truth and falsehood, there's little reason to poke at the mistakes in statements of truth. Something about a mote in your brother's eye, or while ignoring the beam in your enemy's. Or something like that. :P

Matthew 7:3, "3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:'cause it looked like a badly mangled edit that went with the next sentence:

Matthew 7:3, "3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

Yes, Farn, I know. Barring a recent policy change, humor is still allowed in NSG. :P I deliberately mangled it for effect.
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General