NATION

PASSWORD

Man charged in relation to sharing Mosque Shooting Video

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:48 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Galloism wrote:Very first thing I thought of.

He sounds like an absolutely lovely human being and all and is probably guilty of something, but I’m not much of a fan of banning “disturbing footage” from being possessed or shared.

Seems pretty authoritarian.

I think it's pretty fair to prevent terrorist propaganda from being used.

I have a concern regarding said classification.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:50 pm

Galloism wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Well we have a good definition of what "terrorist" and maybe "propoganda" are so I don't see the problem.
Last edited by El-Amin Caliphate on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:55 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Galloism wrote:I have a concern regarding said classification.

Well we have a good definition of what "terrorist" and maybe "propoganda" are so you really shouldn't have a problem.

Governments don't have a particularly good track record of classifying stuff within reasonable limits.

Let's keep in mind Russia banned The Watchtower as "extremist literature" for pete's sake, which is not far off from "terrorist propaganda".
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:56 pm

Galloism wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Something that's going to inspire others to do the same.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Galloism wrote:I have a concern regarding said classification.

I also have a concern regarding that classification.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Galloism wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Well we have a good definition of what "terrorist" and maybe "propoganda" are so you really shouldn't have a problem.

Governments don't have a particularly good track record of classifying stuff within reasonable limits.

Let's keep in mind Russia banned The Watchtower as "extremist literature" for pete's sake, which is not far off from "terrorist propaganda".

JW's are extremists.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 pm

Galloism wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

I also have a concern regarding that classification.

Murder innocent people en mass.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:00 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Galloism wrote:Governments don't have a particularly good track record of classifying stuff within reasonable limits.

JW's are extremists.

Uh huh. The peaceful people who refused to fight for Hitler.

Salus Maior wrote:
Galloism wrote:I also have a concern regarding that classification.

Better ban it.

Khataiy
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:00 pm

Stupid he did nothing wrong

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Khataiy wrote:Stupid he did nothing wrong

Sharing a video of a shooting to people who aren't authorities (ex: police-types) isn't wrong?
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:04 pm

Galloism wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
JW's are extremists.

Uh huh. The peaceful people who refused to fight for Hitler.

Salus Maior wrote:

Better ban it.

That doesn't negate the bad they do.

I don't see any videos of the people in the process of being gassed, nor do I see any positive spin being put on it or it being turned into a meme.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:04 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:

Sharing a video of a shooting to people who aren't authorities (ex: police-types) isn't wrong?

Historically, not really.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:04 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Sharing a video of a shooting to people who aren't authorities (ex: police-types) isn't wrong?

In my eyes, no its not. By American standards, it'd be allowed.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Saiwania wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Sharing a video of a shooting to people who aren't authorities (ex: police-types) isn't wrong?

In my eyes, no its not. By American standards, it'd be allowed.

Says the guy who was fellating the shooter the week it happened.

Turbofolkia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Turbofolkia » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Galloism wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Well we have a good definition of what "terrorist" and maybe "propoganda" are so you really shouldn't have a problem.

New Zealand does. There is a clear process and definition for what is classed as objectionable material. That is:

"a publication...(that) describes, depicts or expresses, or otherwise deals with matters such as sex, horror, crime, cruelty or violence in such a manner that the availability of the publication is likely to be injurious to the public good."

In deciding whether a publication is objectionable, or should instead be given an unrestricted or restricted classification, consideration is given to the extent, degree and manner in which the publication describes, depicts, or deals with:

acts of torture, the infliction of serious physical harm or acts of significant cruelty
sexual violence or sexual coercion, or violence or coercion in association with sexual conduct
sexual or physical conduct of a degrading or dehumanising or demeaning nature
sexual conduct with or by children, or young persons, or both
physical conduct in which sexual satisfaction is derived from inflicting or suffering cruelty or pain
exploits the nudity of children, young persons, or both
degrades or dehumanises or demeans any person
promotes or encourages criminal acts or acts of terrorism
represents that members of any particular class of the public are inherently inferior to other members of the public by reason of any characteristic of members of that class being a characteristic that is a prohibited ground of discrimination specified in the Human Rights Act 1993.

Only a small handful of videos and books have ever been classified as objectionable, most notably other propaganda pieces from ISIS and al-Qaeda. This hardly arbitrary. You can also apply to the Department of Internal Affairs for an exemption if you really really want see the video and have a legitimate reason to do so.
Kad uključim autotune digne se prašina

Khataiy
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:08 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:

Why would it be wrong? The video shows the murderer, its historical and a reminder of what this monster is and what he did should never be forgotten and hidden away, imagine if we hid all of our history we would have nothing to learn from laws like these are stupid and serve no purpose whatsoever aside from creating a bigger beuracy, and acting like there's nothing wrong even though there is, governments like the UK and NZ and China who do this broad censorship are part of the problem, and they believe that by hiding things and shutting people up and upholding their own elitist centric views they are helping everyone, its a classic case of the government saying "We know whats good for you". You know by NZ's laws Erdogan would be in jail as he shared the video too to expose the bastard who did this and show everyone what he is and let history remember him for his brutality, how does that sound to you, sure the intentions might be different but the principle still stands that censorship in this manner serves no purpose but is actually a problem within itself.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Salus Maior wrote:That doesn't negate the bad they do.

<insert eyeroll emoji here>

They've done nothing worthy of banning and torture.

I don't see any videos of the people in the process of being gassed, nor do I see any positive spin being put on it or it being turned into a meme.

There's a shit ton of memes about the holocaust, using actual holocaust footage, usually with "Hitler did nothing wrong" as the theme.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:11 pm

Galloism wrote:

There's a shit ton of memes about the holocaust, using actual holocaust footage, usually with "Hitler did nothing wrong" as the theme.

Not letting them spread their religion is not torture.

And I think it's fair to ban such content.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:11 pm

Turbofolkia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Governments don't have a particularly good track record of classifying stuff within reasonable limits.

New Zealand does. There is a clear process and definition for what is classed as objectionable material. That is:

"a publication...(that) describes, depicts or expresses, or otherwise deals with matters such as sex, horror, crime, cruelty or violence in such a manner that the availability of the publication is likely to be injurious to the public good."

In deciding whether a publication is objectionable, or should instead be given an unrestricted or restricted classification, consideration is given to the extent, degree and manner in which the publication describes, depicts, or deals with:

acts of torture, the infliction of serious physical harm or acts of significant cruelty
sexual violence or sexual coercion, or violence or coercion in association with sexual conduct
sexual conduct with or by children, or young persons, or both
physical conduct in which sexual satisfaction is derived from inflicting or suffering cruelty or pain
exploits the nudity of children, young persons, or both
degrades or dehumanises or demeans any person
promotes or encourages criminal acts or acts of terrorism
represents that members of any particular class of the public are inherently inferior to other members of the public by reason of any characteristic of members of that class being a characteristic that is a prohibited ground of discrimination specified in the Human Rights Act 1993.

Only a small handful of videos and books have ever been classified as objectionable, most notably other propaganda pieces from ISIS and al-Qaeda. This hardly arbitrary. You can also apply to the Department of Internal Affairs for an exemption if you really really want see the video and have a legitimate reason to do so.

Jeez, that's a really broad classification. What does New Zealand have against BDSM?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:13 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Galloism wrote:

But torture is.

Then you don't really have a commitment to freedom. Which I find unfortunate. You should want to be free.

Turbofolkia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Turbofolkia » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Galloism wrote:
Turbofolkia wrote:New Zealand does. There is a clear process and definition for what is classed as objectionable material. That is:

Jeez, that's a really broad classification. What does New Zealand have against BDSM?

Hardly. In New Zealand you technically can consent to assault, to the extent that the assault does not constitute grievous bodily harm, so BDSM is fine and is not objectionable material. Not the topic of this thread anyway.
Kad uključim autotune digne se prašina

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Galloism wrote:

Jehovah’s Witness have a rampant brainwashing and child abuse problem that makes public schools, the Catholic Church And Evangelical Protestantism combined look downright lovely by comparison.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Turbofolkia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Jeez, that's a really broad classification. What does New Zealand have against BDSM?

Hardly. In New Zealand you technically can consent to assault, to the extent that the assault does not constitute grievous bodily harm, so BDSM is fine and is not objectionable material. Not the topic of this thread anyway.

From your post:

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Kowani wrote:Jehovah’s Witness have a rampant brainwashing and child abuse problem that makes public schools, the Catholic Church And Evangelical Protestantism combined look downright lovely by comparison.

Lol.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:19 pm

Galloism wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

But torture is.

Then you don't really have a commitment to freedom. Which I find unfortunate. You should want to be free.

So we're moving the goalposts from a discussion about whether or not banning certain content is acceptable to whether or not torture is acceptable? Is that what we're doing?

Anyway, no, I don't believe that the government should have the power to torture citizens.

Freedom doesn't mean anything. There's always restrictions (unless you've decided to become an Anarchist, Gallo), and that restriction in any sane society usually stands at where one's freedom can infringe on someone else's welfare or the welfare of society. And I'm good with that, because that's how a decent and functional society operates.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General