NATION

PASSWORD

Tennessee Pastor Calls for LGBT People to be Executed

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Oshow
Civilian

Founded: May 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Oshow » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:13 am

If your religion teaches you to hate then you need a new religion.

Mihnoa
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mihnoa » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Mihnoa wrote:First off, since when did Christianity promote or support genocide? As a Christian myself, I am absolutely disgusted to see that he thinks mass genocide and persecution is ok.

1: The Middle Ages. "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius" is in reference to Catholics capturing a city that was filled with both heretics and Catholics, and it translates to "Kill them. For the Lord knows those that are his."

Ah yes, the Third Crusade. The Pope did not approve of that attack and all that were involved were ex-communicated. But you are right, it did happen and this attack, as well as the quotes said by this "pastor" should be condemned.

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am

Mihnoa wrote:
1: The Middle Ages. "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius" is in reference to Catholics capturing a city that was filled with both heretics and Catholics, and it translates to "Kill them. For the Lord knows those that are his."

Ah yes, the Third Crusade. The Pope did not approve of that attack and all that were involved were ex-communicated. But you are right, it did happen and this attack, as well as the quotes said by this "pastor" should be condemned.

I'm pretty sure that was from the Albigensian genocide, not the third crusade.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:11 pm

Mihnoa wrote:

That is just downright bullshit. Unless your definition of "not approving" is the pope personally issuing the audita tremendi that declared the Third Crusade as a thing.

Not to mention there is still the Albergensian "crusade" (more like genocide) that was the Papal approved slaughtering of up to 2,000,000 people in Southern France simply due to the fact that Catharism was present in the region.
Last edited by Highever on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:40 pm

Mihnoa wrote:

Pretty sure the mass excommunications thing was the Fourth Crusade after the Venetians talked them into going off and sacking Byzantium.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 am

Par for the course for Southern Baptist preachers. After awhile, you become desensitized to them.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:38 am

Hanafuridake wrote:Par for the course for Southern Baptist preachers. After awhile, you become desensitized to them.

This is one of the most terrible things about social discourse in the US. The "ideas" preached by Southern Baptists is unforgivable and undebatable, one should never become "desensitized" enough to just go "meh, the Southrons are at it again" when they spew poison like this.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:08 am

Sounds bad, Scoob.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:58 am

North German Realm wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:Par for the course for Southern Baptist preachers. After awhile, you become desensitized to them.

This is one of the most terrible things about social discourse in the US. The "ideas" preached by Southern Baptists is unforgivable and undebatable, one should never become "desensitized" enough to just go "meh, the Southrons are at it again" when they spew poison like this.

I mean. Why not? What are we supposed to do, chuck free speech in the dumpster because some people are dicks?

That's dumb.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:03 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
North German Realm wrote:This is one of the most terrible things about social discourse in the US. The "ideas" preached by Southern Baptists is unforgivable and undebatable, one should never become "desensitized" enough to just go "meh, the Southrons are at it again" when they spew poison like this.

I mean. Why not? What are we supposed to do, chuck free speech in the dumpster because some people are dicks?

That's dumb.

I mean yes, the smart action would be "chuck free speech into the dumpster if necessary and fine people for saying shit like this, like every civilized country on earth", but I realize how "'words and actions have consequences' applies to me too" might be a tad too much of a culture shock for Americans. However there is the option of not taking the "it's just the Southrons, they do this" once and for all and not shutting up when the fucking waste of space goes "maybe we should execute all Gay people".

Sure, the correct action would be to put him in prison, but saying "no, they shouldn't." louder than they talk until they get crushed by opposition platforms is a fucking start.
Last edited by North German Realm on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:16 am

That's dumb.

I mean yes, the smart action would be "chuck free speech into the dumpster if necessary and fine people for saying shit like this, like every civilized country on earth", but I realize how "'words and actions have consequences' applies to me too" might be a tad too much of a culture shock for Americans. However there is the option of not taking the "it's just the Southrons, they do this" once and for all and not shutting up when the fucking waste of space goes "maybe we should execute all Gay people".

Sure, the correct action would be to put him in prison, but saying "no, they shouldn't." louder than they talk until they get crushed by opposition platforms is a fucking start.

Unfortunately, hate speech laws going way too far is not unheard of. There is a reason why Americans don't blindly follow Europe. This Pastor should just be fired from the police force, and kept out of powerful government positions. Actually arresting or fining him is not necessary, and would violate the first amendment.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:22 am

That's dumb.

Offending people isn't a crime. Saying shitty things isn't a crime. And people ARE objecting to his speech. His view is very much so in the minority, and people are speaking out against it. That doesn't mean he should be arrested for what he said.

And you wonder why I consider the USA the only civilized nation on the planet when our closest competitors are people who think it's not only acceptable but morally just to imprison people for offending others.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:23 am

Offending people isn't a crime. Saying shitty things isn't a crime. And people ARE objecting to his speech. His view is very much so in the minority, and people are speaking out against it. That doesn't mean he should be arrested for what he said.

And you wonder why I consider the USA the only civilized nation on the planet when our closest competitors are people who think it's not only acceptable but morally just to imprison people for offending others.

1- "Offending" people isn't a crime, and shouldn't be. Calling for genocide is, and if it isn't a crime in your country, your country is the one that has a fucking problem... Which, we already know it does. We've known for two centuries.

2- That you unironically think that proves why you're not only not civilized but not fit to live in a civilized society either.
Last edited by North German Realm on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:27 am

1- "Offending" people isn't a crime, and shouldn't be. Calling for genocide is, and if it isn't a crime in your country, your country is the one that has a fucking problem... Which, we already know it does. We've known for two centuries.

2- That you unironically think that proves why you're not only not civilized but not fit to live in a civilized society either.

1.) That's little more than a particularly offensive remark. Is it a shitty thing to say? Certainly. But unless it's an actual, credible threat/call to action right now. Rather than simply espousing a terrible ideal... Then it's not part of a crime.

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:29 am

North German Realm wrote:1- "Offending" people isn't a crime, and shouldn't be. Calling for genocide is, and if it isn't a crime in your country, your country is the one that has a fucking problem... Which, we already know it does. We've known for two centuries.

1.) That's little more than a particularly offensive remark. Is it a shitty thing to say? Certainly. But unless it's an actual, credible threat/call to action right now. Rather than simply espousing a terrible ideal... Then it's not part of a crime.

Any call for genocide is a credible and actual threat and call to action "right now" until the target of that genocide has been completely exterminated. Some of them just don't get answered by enough people.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:31 am

Any call for genocide is a credible and actual threat and call to action "right now" until the target of that genocide has been completely exterminated. Some of them just don't get answered by enough people.

No it's not. People say things and then do nothing all the time.

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:31 am

North German Realm wrote:Any call for genocide is a credible and actual threat and call to action "right now" until the target of that genocide has been completely exterminated. Some of them just don't get answered by enough people.

-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Czechoslovakia and Zakarpattia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechoslovakia and Zakarpattia » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:32 am

Christian fundamentalists are called the American Taliban for a reason. Same strand of barbarism, different creeds. The best we can do is deny recognition to the pastor's deranged comments and make sure that his views are marginalized in society as much as possible.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:33 am

Yes yes, the scary words scared and offended you. I understand. But until there is an actual threat, it's not against the law.

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 am

Yes yes, the scary words scared and offended you. I understand. But until there is an actual threat, it's not against the law.

I know it's not against the law. The law is the one that needs to be changed lmao.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Czechoslovakia and Zakarpattia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechoslovakia and Zakarpattia » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 am

To be perfectly fair, you would have had a different reaction the moment a black supremacist of the Nation of Islam called for all "white devils" to be cleansed from American land and for all Republicans to be massacred.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:37 am

Czechoslovakia and Zakarpattia wrote:

To be perfectly fair, you would have had a different reaction the moment a black supremacist of the Nation of Islam called for all "white devils" to be cleansed from American land and for all Republicans to be massacred.

Not really. That happens literally all the time. I don't say they should be arrested for saying it.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:42 am

The pastor was more venting his own racist views, than truly calling people to genocide. The majority of his flock, though, has rejected his message.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:43 am

Delmarva SSR wrote:So is this guy still a cop or what? I heard he was fired but then I heard that he was on payed leave.

From what I heard the Sheriff's office fired him

Matroyska
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Matroyska » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:44 am

the thing with free speech is that it does exactly what it says on the tin: free speech. he should be allowed to state his views, disgusting as they are to me and, i hope, most intelligent people, but that’s where it ends. he should not be allowed to restrict membership of his church based on sexuality, and he should not be allowed to let someone’s sexuality bias his work as a member of the sheriff’s office. so although i disagree with his message of hate with every cell in my body, i think he has to be allowed to broadcast it, but nothing else.
Last edited by Matroyska on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General