NATION

PASSWORD

Border Patrol Is Detaining Migrants in ‘a Human Dog Pound’

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Border Patrol Is Detaining Migrants in ‘a Human Dog Pound’

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:32 am

sause

After New Mexico State University professor Neal Rosendorf read a government report exposing dangerous overcrowding of detained migrants at the Paso del Norte International Bridge in El Paso, he headed to the port of entry to see if he could find anyone protesting conditions there. When he reached the west side of the bridge, he encountered an unmarked open gate, which he walked through in the hopes of asking Border Patrol agents whether they had seen any protesters. Continuing underneath and then past the bridge about 100 yards or so, he was stunned by what he saw—migrants who said they’d been held outdoors for weeks as temperatures rose to nearly 100 degrees.

Rosendorf described it as “a human dog pound”—one hundred to 150 men behind a chain-link fence, huddled beneath makeshift shelters made from mylar blankets and whatever other scraps they could find to shield themselves from the heat of the sun. “I was able to speak with detainees and take photos of them with their permission,” Rosendorf said in an email. “They told me they’ve been incarcerated outside for a month, that they haven’t washed or been able to change the clothes they were detained in the entire time, and that they’re being poorly fed and treated in general.”

U.S. Customs and Border Protection took eight days to respond to Texas Monthly’s questions about Rosendorf’s discovery. In a statement this week, a CBP official acknowledged that the agency was detaining migrants outdoors for extended periods.

“During the current crisis, U.S. Border Patrol has had to take extraordinary measures to ensure the safety of our agents and those in our custody. As such, and to avoid severe overcrowding of USBP temporary holding facilities, every available space which provides both freedom of movement, safety, and security for those in our custody are used as necessary,” the official said. “Throughout the intake, processing, and holding of those in our custody, some individuals are being held in an area near the [Paso del Norte)] Bridge … Some of those locations are partially outdoors while still providing relief from sun, wind, and inclement weather.”

The official said CBP tries to make bathing available to detainees. “However, shower facility use is prioritized for children and vulnerable populations. Clothing is changed or provided as necessary and as available.”

Rosendorf said he was able to spend almost fifteen minutes talking to the detained migrants until Border Patrol and CBP officials discovered him and ordered him to leave. The CBP official acknowledged that “staffing shortfalls and conflicts” allowed the government professor to wander through what is supposed to be a secure area. “Unfortunately, this was a rare instance where there was a breakdown in communication and area coverage/relief was not as seamless as it should have been. Local leadership is addressing this issue,” the official said.

CBP previously detained people under the bridge in March and early April but moved the detainees to enclosed conditions after a public outcry over reports of children and pregnant women sleeping on gravel and being bombarded with pigeon droppings. At the time, CBP officials said they were using an area on the east side of the port of entry as a processing center for migrants, preparing them for transfer to other facilities or release. Officials didn’t respond to questions about when they resumed detaining rather than processing people outdoors.

Both Rosendorf and Representative Veronica Escobar, D-El Paso, said they were told by detainees that some people have been held more than a month outdoors. They said they saw only single adults held outside at the bridge. Escobar said she was told most were Cuban men. The report by the Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General that triggered Rosendorf’s trip to the bridge was based on an unannounced inspection on May 7 and 8, a little over three weeks before he saw people detained outside.

The report didn’t mention people detained outside. “When we observed conditions and reviewed custody records at the CBP facility at the Paso del Norte Bridge, we did not see evidence at the time of our visit that people were held outside for excessive time periods,” inspector general spokesman Arlen Morales said. “We will be conducting additional unannounced inspections and will continue to report on our observations.”

CBP policies state that people shouldn’t be held for more than three days at its facilities, which generally are small cells designed to keep people for just a few hours while they are processed. But DHS has said its detention arm, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, is at its maximum capacity of about 52,000 because of the ongoing surge of migrants at the border. As a result, CBP is holding more than 30,000 people in its facilities, according to DHS.

Escobar said ICE could alleviate what the inspector general called “dangerous holding conditions” at the Paso del Norte Bridge by releasing more detainees. That would allow CBP to move migrants from the bridge to ICE’s long-term detention facilities so they could begin the asylum process. “I know for a fact that some ICE beds are taken up by people who should be paroled, should be connected to their sponsor, people who are not a threat to America or society, people who are still waiting for the final adjudication on their asylum requests,” she said.

CBP hasn’t said how many people are being held outdoors at the bridge, but Escobar said she saw “at least a couple hundred” when she visited the area on Friday. She said the conditions are straining migrants and border agents.

El Paso’s forecast calls for high temperatures in the upper 90s to low 100s for the next several weeks. In recent days, the makeshift shelters of the people held outdoors have become increasingly visible to pedestrians crossing into the United States on the bridge above. Escobar fears that disaster looms. “As the weather warms up, I am afraid more people will die,” she said. “It’s impossible to control dehydration when you have people in these large groups sitting outside—even when they’re under a shady area.”

This is just horrible.

In such a horrible environment people will die. People only accused of a crime that has not yet been proven.

Emergency shelters with air conditioning is what these people need.

It's absolutely inhumane to treat anyone like this.

What say you NSG?
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:51 am

The bad conditions are probably exaggerated to fit the leftist pro open borders legal immigration views, like the tittle of the news story In a Human Dog Pound, what is needed is not open borders legal immigration, what is needed is an end to illegal immigration.

No more sanctuary cities, sanctuary counties, sanctuary states and sanctuary churches.
Last edited by Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miami Shores is a Province of Greater La Habana Cuba, and La Habana Cuba is a regional Province of Greater Miami Shores, democratic capitalist Republic.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:53 am

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:The bad conditions are probably exaggerated to fit the leftist pro open borders legal immigration views, like the tittle of the news story In a Human Dog Pound, what is needed is not open borders legal immigration, what is needed is an end to illegal immigration.

No more sanctuary cities, sanctuary counties, sanctuary states and sanctuary churches.

Do you have any proof of this?

Also take a good look at this picture.

Neal Rosendorf, a government professor at New Mexico State University, took this photograph of migrants he discovered being detained outdoors near the Paso del Norte Bridge in El Paso. The men said they had been held there more than 30 days, without showering or changing clothes.

Pictures don't lie.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:54 am

And any of this info is new....how?
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Magnum Exitium
Attaché

Founded: Apr 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Magnum Exitium » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:55 am

Maybe Pelosi should have voted for that bill

Outer Sparta wrote:Ahh yes, the best right-wing conversations start off with who's first or second in the thread.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 am

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:The bad conditions are probably exaggerated to fit the leftist pro open borders legal immigration views, like the tittle of the news story In a Human Dog Pound, what is needed is not open borders legal immigration, what is needed is an end to illegal immigration.

I mean there are pictures that show that this is the case... and the last two sentences don't have too much bearing here.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

BlazingAngel
Envoy

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Libertarian Police State

Postby BlazingAngel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:58 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:

Do you have any proof of this?

Neal Rosendorf, a government professor at New Mexico State University, took this photograph of migrants he discovered being detained outdoors near the Paso del Norte Bridge in El Paso. The men said they had been held there more than 30 days, without showering or changing clothes.

Pictures don't lie.

Actually, they can. In case you hadn't noticed but most of the pictures that showed immigrants being detained and put into cages are staged. When I visited the border, nowhere did I see migrants being detained. Keep in mind that the same group of leftists also claimed that the border crisis is nothing short but a 'manufactured crisis'.

It's better to fact check everything than to believe everything you see on the Internet and on the media.
Last edited by BlazingAngel on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Certified Firefighter. Took an EMT class and failed the written test twice. This was (probably) caused after killing too many dummies with an AED. Now a slave to Amazon as a warehouse worker

Rub some aloe vera on your neck and perform chest compressions on yourself for about 30 times per minutes. Then wrap the fuck out of your right arm with a saran wrap. Lastly, rub your nipples for shock management. Paramedics approved

DON'T SLEEP NEAR THE FIRELINES
Never lose your hose unattended when conducting clean-up. You'll never get it back
When a tree fall in the forest, does it make a sound? Of course it has, after being brutally sawed in half by chainsaws

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 am

BlazingAngel wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Do you have any proof of this?

Pictures don't lie.

Actually, they can. In case you hadn't noticed but most of the pictures that showed immigrants being detained and put into cages are staged. When I visited the border, no where did I see migrants being detained. Keep in mind that the same group of leftists also claimed that the border crisis is nothing short but a 'manufactured crisis'.

It's better to fact check everything than to believe everything you see on the Internet and on the media.

Do you have any actual proof of this?

Or is this a joke?
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlazingAngel
Envoy

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Libertarian Police State

Postby BlazingAngel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:00 pm

Also, cite your sources. Thank you.
Certified Firefighter. Took an EMT class and failed the written test twice. This was (probably) caused after killing too many dummies with an AED. Now a slave to Amazon as a warehouse worker

Rub some aloe vera on your neck and perform chest compressions on yourself for about 30 times per minutes. Then wrap the fuck out of your right arm with a saran wrap. Lastly, rub your nipples for shock management. Paramedics approved

DON'T SLEEP NEAR THE FIRELINES
Never lose your hose unattended when conducting clean-up. You'll never get it back
When a tree fall in the forest, does it make a sound? Of course it has, after being brutally sawed in half by chainsaws

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:00 pm

BlazingAngel wrote:Also, cite your sources. Thank you.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:sause

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 pm

BlazingAngel wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Do you have any proof of this?

Pictures don't lie.

Actually, they can. In case you hadn't noticed but most of the pictures that showed immigrants being detained and put into cages are staged. When I visited the border, nowhere did I see migrants being detained. Keep in mind that the same group of leftists also claimed that the border crisis is nothing short but a 'manufactured crisis'.

Where did you visit the border? And anyway, where did you find that the majority of the pictures were staged?
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Asurmenia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Asurmenia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Don't really care honestly.

Thanatttynia
Senator

Founded: Nov 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm

It's mad how quickly and completely people will dehumanise others... whether these people should be coming in to America or not this situation is shameful.

I'm not against a wall in theory but before you can talk about that massive expense you've got to stop treating people like animals and afford them some basic dignity
Syng I wolde, butt, alas! decendunt prospera grata.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Asurmenia wrote:Don't really care honestly.

People are be treated like dirt on US soil and you just don't care?

Also you must have cared at least somewhat to post on the thread.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Obviously our immigration detention facilities are grossly inadequate for the massive immigration issue we are facing. We need to build more and better ones of course.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Novus America wrote:Obviously our immigration detention facilities are grossly inadequate for the massive immigration issue we are facing. We need to build more and better ones of course.

One with air conditioning for sustainable living conditions.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:04 pm

I thought America was a land of freedom and democracy? And yet here we are seeing migrants being treated like dirt.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Novus America wrote:Obviously our immigration detention facilities are grossly inadequate for the massive immigration issue we are facing. We need to build more and better ones of course.

Well more than one, but yes climate control should be available.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:06 pm

When looking at things, view it from the lens of "what if it was me?"

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:07 pm

Magnum Exitium wrote:Maybe Pelosi should have voted for that bill

And what bill would "that bill" be?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Druulis
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Druulis » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:08 pm

So you're a sociopath then. Good to know.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Novus America wrote:

Is hot down in the South-West.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Telconi wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Is hot down in the South-West.

you aint kidding I was born and still live in Texas and I hate the Summers here.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm

The South Falls wrote:

Golden rules is crappy tho.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:12 pm

The South Falls wrote:

It’s not and maybe you should learn to think for yourself.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General