NATION

PASSWORD

buy chinese ?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

well batman, what do we do now?

1. I don't care, with comparable products, its my money.
12%
2. I can not afford to care. playing politics with your money is a rich man's game
24%
3. All Hail Xi, the future is the PRC
13%
4. Yes, when i can, i do not buy chinese products
19%
5. Chinese products? i try not to buy anything from out of country.
9%
6. I only buy products from places with policies i support internationally
6%
7. I try and support product ans services from localities i support (no abortion, no netflix production, Georgia)
1%
8. A small Hoff lead platoon can take Hong Kong from the PRC, and bring Peace in our time
15%

Total votes : 139

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Wait...

Just to be clear

You very regularly walk into a shop, and then at the checkout counter or to a clerk go...

"Hey I want to ask you. Was China involved in the manufacturing/making of this product? Because if they were... I ain't buying it. Please tell me the truth."

Something to that effect?

In America we just look on the box, reading isnt that hard.

but couldn't there be significant/heavy Chinese involvement in a product that can still be overall correctly labelled as "made in Japan" for instance? or even made in Germany/America?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Heloin wrote:Didn't you know? Xi Jinping can do no wrong.

To add a little, I understand that some of the factories in China in fact actually worked directly for Apple, Samsung, and any other major tech companies, for example. For that one, it's technically from China, but under strict quality control from the US companies. That's as far as I know from my basic understanding.

What we are talking and are concerned about, if I am correct, are the stereotypical Chinese knockoffs and products, the ones that are produced by not-too-reputable companies and factories in China itself, and those that has little to no concern about regulations or safety.

For the latter... yeah, I would NOT want myself to be set ablaze by such a device, thanks.

Generally the products are made by contract manufacturers in China. So someone like flextronics has a factory that builds say iPads for apple from component parts to apple's specification. So we can be talking genuine apple product, made in china.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:56 am

I probably buy a lot of my things from China, but I've never paid attention to it. Basically what IM said:

Infected Mushroom wrote:It's hilarious to me that some people actually claim to intentionally not buy from China

It just seems so strange

Are you saying you walk into a shop and ask, "Hey are there parts of this made from China?" Or do you just assume if you buy something and it doesn't say somewhere "made in China" China was not in any way involved?

So strange...
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Castelia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Castelia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:56 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:and is that... a fairly common practice in some places in the west?

Ah, I don't live in the West. I live in Southeast Asia. And yeah, the people here are very particular.

Meh, some members of my family don't even buy a product if its made in a certain town. I like to think I'm pretty mild.
"They say I'm insane, but take a look at the world and tell me the pleasures of sanity."
My IRL politics are simple: anti-Chinese Communist Party. If a view is anti-CCP, no matter how bad it is, that's my view.

Welcome to the Casteliaverse! | Factbook Repository
A 10.125 civilization, according to this index, and a Class 1 Civilization according to this index.
I DO NOT USE NS STATS. This nation does not represent my IRL views.
This spoiler is a tribute to Vanquaria, whose level of based I aspire to achieve one day.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:56 am

Don't western companies outsource all the time?

Something "made in Germany" probably has components from China

China is... a huge manufacturer these days

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:57 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:In America we just look on the box, reading isnt that hard.

Products are labelled in the UK, too. I just read the label.

Poundland is a good place to go. Some of the items are labelled, but some aren't, so it's fun to guess where the fuck they came from. Judging by the quality of some of the stuff I'd think that they are made in poorly-lit labour camps in the DPRK.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:57 am

Castelia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:and is that... a fairly common practice in some places in the west?

Ah, I don't live in the West. I live in Southeast Asia. And yeah, the people here are very particular.

Meh, some members of my family don't even buy a product if its made in a certain town. I like to think I'm pretty mild.

hmmmm

I see...

Castelia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Castelia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:58 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Don't western companies outsource all the time?

That is so, yes. But like I said, most small products that can be manufactured locally don't necessarily have Chinese components/involvement within them. Especially not when importing stuff becomes more expensive than local manufacturing.
"They say I'm insane, but take a look at the world and tell me the pleasures of sanity."
My IRL politics are simple: anti-Chinese Communist Party. If a view is anti-CCP, no matter how bad it is, that's my view.

A 10.125 civilization, according to this index, and a Class 1 Civilization according to this index.
This spoiler is a tribute to Vanquaria, whose level of based I aspire to achieve one day.

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:59 am

I thought the PRC have branches work for the manufacturing of some Apple or Samsung parts? Most of us use those a lot, and they don’t go haywire’s most of the time, so they’re not all that bad?
Last edited by Bluelight-R006 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:00 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:
To add a little, I understand that some of the factories in China in fact actually worked directly for Apple, Samsung, and any other major tech companies, for example. For that one, it's technically from China, but under strict quality control from the US companies. That's as far as I know from my basic understanding.

What we are talking and are concerned about, if I am correct, are the stereotypical Chinese knockoffs and products, the ones that are produced by not-too-reputable companies and factories in China itself, and those that has little to no concern about regulations or safety.

For the latter... yeah, I would NOT want myself to be set ablaze by such a device, thanks.

Generally the products are made by contract manufacturers in China. So someone like flextronics has a factory that builds say iPads for apple from component parts to apple's specification. So we can be talking genuine apple product, made in china.

Oooh, good to know. Thanks! ^^

Bluelight-R006 wrote:I thought the PRC have branches work for the manufacturing of some Apple or Samsung parts? Most of us use those a lot, and they don’t go haywire’s most of the time, so they’re not all that bad?

I think the answer I've gotten might help answer your question too. :P
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It isn't. It may seem like it to you, but it isn't.

This is literally one of the most strange things I have ever heard (I mean no offence but truly).

I have heard of people saying, "I try to buy local as much as possible because I want to support the local economy and the local workers" and I have heard "I want to buy from pro-environmental companies because I want to support the environment"

With the amount of out there opinions you have on things throwing stones from that glass house of yours isn't the grandest of ideas.

but I have never heard...

"I will make a conscious effort to not buy from China. I will even ask people if things are made in China or not before deciding to buy or not."

You're hearing (well reading) that opinion right now.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:04 am

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
This is literally one of the most strange things I have ever heard (I mean no offence but truly).

I have heard of people saying, "I try to buy local as much as possible because I want to support the local economy and the local workers" and I have heard "I want to buy from pro-environmental companies because I want to support the environment"

With the amount of out there opinions you have on things throwing stones from that glass house of yours isn't the grandest of ideas.

but I have never heard...

"I will make a conscious effort to not buy from China. I will even ask people if things are made in China or not before deciding to buy or not."

You're hearing (well reading) that opinion right now.

I'm just finding it really really hard to believe

I'm not saying the opinion is inconsistent or indefensible (it can be in some ways defended on a philosophical level), its just... well... I didn't know before today that such views were held

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:05 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:I thought the PRC have branches work for the manufacturing of some Apple or Samsung parts? Most of us use those a lot, and they don’t go haywire’s most of the time, so they’re not all that bad?

Well I’ve only seen cases of where gadgets by popular companies like Apple, Samsung... etc. go nuts when the user is irresponsible for its handling... but I’ll take your word for it.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:05 am

Castelia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Don't western companies outsource all the time?

That is so, yes. But like I said, most small products that can be manufactured locally don't necessarily have Chinese components/involvement within them. Especially not when importing stuff becomes more expensive than local manufacturing.

So does this apply to batteries for example?

You would ask if the batteries (or any parts of them) were made in China or not?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:07 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:You would ask if the batteries (or any parts of them) were made in China or not?

All the batteries I buy are made in the EU. And I don't need to ask, as it is on the packaging.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:08 am

Geneviev wrote:I probably buy a lot of my things from China, but I've never paid attention to it. Basically what IM said:

Infected Mushroom wrote:It's hilarious to me that some people actually claim to intentionally not buy from China

It just seems so strange

Are you saying you walk into a shop and ask, "Hey are there parts of this made from China?" Or do you just assume if you buy something and it doesn't say somewhere "made in China" China was not in any way involved?

So strange...

Yeah

Basically

Like I don't ask, I just make judgements from price and perceived quality alone

when I buy my lettuce or clothes, it doesn't occur to me to ask or inquire or investigate (and even if I knew, I wouldn't decide on that basis)

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:09 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:You would ask if the batteries (or any parts of them) were made in China or not?

All the batteries I buy are made in the EU. And I don't need to ask, as it is on the packaging.

you know it can say "made in the UK" but really be assembled from several places in the world right (or with the involvement of Chinese labour somewhere)?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:10 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:All the batteries I buy are made in the EU. And I don't need to ask, as it is on the packaging.

you know it can say "made in the UK" but really be assembled from several places in the world right (or with the involvement of Chinese labour somewhere)?

Sure, but I don't tend to be paranoid enough to think that every label is lying to me.

Wave on, wave on

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:11 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I probably buy a lot of my things from China, but I've never paid attention to it. Basically what IM said:

Yeah

Basically

when I buy my lettuce or clothes, it doesn't occur to me to ask or inquire or investigate (and even if I knew, I wouldn't decide on that basis)

It's simply too expensive to always look for things that aren't made in China, and it takes a lot of effort.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:14 am

Geneviev wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Yeah

Basically

It's simply too expensive to always look for things that aren't made in China, and it takes a lot of effort.

Exactly.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:15 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:

Well I’ve only seen cases of where gadgets by popular companies like Apple, Samsung... etc. go nuts when the user is irresponsible for its handling... but I’ll take your word for it.

When China is not making imitations or some other stuff... they actually have (usually large) illegal cigarettes operations, and from what I have read, the cigs contains insecticides, traces of arsenic, human waste (yep...), insect eggs (not sure about this one, but you know, just assume that there is).

And these illegal cigarette operations are run so damn well, scarily well. Some of the operations are disguised as military bases, complete with marching soldiers and drills to make it authentic. Or any other fronts that they have the guts to try and disguise as.

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long ... 79021.html

-----

This would be more about illegal operations more than "Made in China", but still, technically Made in China, and it's already making the unhealthy habit much more unhealthy.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:15 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Sure, but I don't tend to be paranoid enough to think that every label is lying to me.

So you'll put it back on the shelf if you find something with the words "made in China" at the back... just for that?

And if the words aren't there, you assume "well, more often than not, China was not involved" so its "ethical" to buy it?

Something like that?

Castelia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Castelia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

You would ask if the batteries (or any parts of them) were made in China or not?

Yeah. Lol. But not the person selling them because they probably don't actually know but I do try to contact the company selling them instead.
Last edited by Castelia on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:17 am

Castelia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Yeah. Lol. But not the person selling them because they probably don't actually know but I do try to contact the company selling them instead.

are you saying you make phone calls after the fact and if you find out China was involved, you may (and have) ordered a refund from time to time if you can get it?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:17 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Sure, but I don't tend to be paranoid enough to think that every label is lying to me.

So you'll put it back on the shelf if you find something with the words "made in China" at the back... just for that?

If I see the same or a similar product next to it that says made in the EU then yes.

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General