NATION

PASSWORD

Iran vs the US Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zhivotnoye
Spokesperson

Founded: May 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Zhivotnoye » Fri May 24, 2019 11:50 am

-Ocelot- wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Just came by to see if everybody is still handwringing about "teh ebil 'muricans" invading Iran for oil or whatever seems to be the paranoid fantasy of the day. I was not disappointed.

It's surreal. Iran is an American-hating dictatorial theocratic regime and a Russian ally. It is a nation that wants to build nuclear weapons so it can threaten the US, Europe and all Sunni countries in perpetuity. It oppressed it's people and sends women to jail for not wearing head scarves. That's what Americans root for nowadays.

But I am not surprised. The same surrealism was present when Americans were hating their very own nation for being against Assad and ISIS. America bombing ISIS extremists or trying to depose Assad for using chemical weapons on his own people is somehow bad....according to Americans.

Black/white views are easily promoted, and it looks like it got to you as well, or at least to some extend looking at your post.
Nonetheless you do have a point, sadly. It just seems nowadays that people tend to pick a side and stick with it no matter what happens. At least among the general public there's no room left for nuance and context, let alone trying to understrand the point of view from the other side. It's a shame really...

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Fri May 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Zhivotnoye wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:
It's surreal. Iran is an American-hating dictatorial theocratic regime and a Russian ally. It is a nation that wants to build nuclear weapons so it can threaten the US, Europe and all Sunni countries in perpetuity. It oppressed it's people and sends women to jail for not wearing head scarves. That's what Americans root for nowadays.

But I am not surprised. The same surrealism was present when Americans were hating their very own nation for being against Assad and ISIS. America bombing ISIS extremists or trying to depose Assad for using chemical weapons on his own people is somehow bad....according to Americans.

Black/white views are easily promoted, and it looks like it got to you as well, or at least to some extend looking at your post.
Nonetheless you do have a point, sadly. It just seems nowadays that people tend to pick a side and stick with it no matter what happens. At least among the general public there's no room left for nuance and context, let alone trying to understrand the point of view from the other side. It's a shame really...

On the flip side of this, what if we just dont want unnecessary war
Proud Member of The Western Isles, the Best RP region on NS.
An RP I'm Proud of: Orsandian Civil War
An INTJ, -A/-T

Economic Left/Right: -5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Fri May 24, 2019 7:21 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:Where are George Bush, Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell, Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, Donald Rumsfeld, John Ashcroft, and Hank Paulson when you need them?

Not where they should be: in jail for war crimes.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Fri May 24, 2019 7:34 pm

Well I hope we don't go to war with Iran. That would really cause a lot of deaths and economic hardship...oil prices would go through the roof.

Plus, I recall promising to enlist if we did...

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri May 24, 2019 7:47 pm

Trollgaard wrote:Well I hope we don't go to war with Iran. That would really cause a lot of deaths and economic hardship...oil prices would go through the roof.

Could always develop a case of bone spurs.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Fri May 24, 2019 7:49 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:Well I hope we don't go to war with Iran. That would really cause a lot of deaths and economic hardship...oil prices would go through the roof.

Well, I'm a tad older than the average enlistee now that I am 30. Might not be able to keep up with the young bucks! We will see how it plays out.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri May 24, 2019 7:52 pm

Gormwood wrote:

Sarge, I'm only eighteen, I got a ruptured spleen
And I always carry a purse
I got eyes like a bat, and my feet are flat, and my asthma's getting worse
Yes, think of my career, my sweetheart dear, and my poor old invalid aunt
Besides, I ain't no fool, I'm a-goin' to school
And I'm working in a defense plant

I've got a dislocated disc and a wracked up back
I'm allergic to flowers and bugs
And when the bombshell hits, I get epileptic fits
And I'm addicted to a thousand drugs
I got the weakness woes, I can't touch my toes
I can hardly reach my knees
And if the enemy came close to me
I'd probably start to sneeze

Zhivotnoye
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Zhivotnoye » Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 am

Thuzbekistan wrote:
Zhivotnoye wrote:

On the flip side of this, what if we just dont want unnecessary war

The key word here is "unnecessary". Nobody wants an unnecessary war, yet unnecessary wars occure because some people believe they are necessary.

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Sat May 25, 2019 6:30 am

Zhivotnoye wrote:
Thuzbekistan wrote:On the flip side of this, what if we just dont want unnecessary war

The key word here is "unnecessary". Nobody wants an unnecessary war, yet unnecessary wars occure because some people believe they are necessary.

Welp, this is unnecessary
An INTJ, -A/-T

Zhivotnoye
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Zhivotnoye » Sat May 25, 2019 10:05 am

Thuzbekistan wrote:
Zhivotnoye wrote:

Welp, this is unnecessary

Depending on who you ask, it might be necessary.

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Sat May 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Zhivotnoye wrote:
Thuzbekistan wrote:Welp, this is unnecessary

Depending on who you ask, it might be necessary.

I'm not asking them, I'm stating my opinion. You dont have to try and get me to see things from another side
An INTJ, -A/-T

Dontriptia
Secretary

Founded: Nov 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dontriptia » Sat May 25, 2019 8:55 pm

[
Last edited by Dontriptia on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat May 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Can someone explain to me (I’m a non American so I’m confused)...

What’s with America starting all these wars in places several continents away?

What’s there to gain? What’s the point?

How did the leaders wake up one day and say “let’s attack country X in the Middle East. It will cost billions and people will die and we can’t even create a colony anymore because colonies are not in fashion... let’s do it, it will be a good idea.”

I was expecting that after Afghanistan this “thing” would fade but it’s surprisingly persistent.

Iraq, Syria (sort of)... and now Iran too?

What is the point of this?

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Sun May 26, 2019 12:06 am

Dontriptia wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:

Saudi Arabia is also a dictatorial theocratic regime which "oppressed it's people and sends women to jail for not wearing head scarves." It's currently killing thousands of civilians in Yemen and directly supports Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula which is by some metrics the worst terrorist threat to the American people. Not to mention their involvement in the 9/11 attacks. Saudi Arabia is at least on Iran's level, if not worse. Yet there's not only no talk of going to war with them, but we actively send them billions of dollars in weapons some of which get handed over to Al Qaeda. The idea that a war in Iran is justified on a moral basis while Saudi Arabia continues to receive US support is absurd.

Whatabout X country

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Sun May 26, 2019 4:28 am

-Ocelot- wrote:
Dontriptia wrote:
Saudi Arabia is also a dictatorial theocratic regime which "oppressed it's people and sends women to jail for not wearing head scarves." It's currently killing thousands of civilians in Yemen and directly supports Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula which is by some metrics the worst terrorist threat to the American people. Not to mention their involvement in the 9/11 attacks. Saudi Arabia is at least on Iran's level, if not worse. Yet there's not only no talk of going to war with them, but we actively send them billions of dollars in weapons some of which get handed over to Al Qaeda. The idea that a war in Iran is justified on a moral basis while Saudi Arabia continues to receive US support is absurd.

Whatabout X country

Yes, what about x country. If we demonize one for doing the exact things another that we support does, then using those reasons for war is not a good justification
An INTJ, -A/-T

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun May 26, 2019 4:45 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Can someone explain to me (I’m a non American so I’m confused)...

How did the leaders wake up one day and say “let’s attack country X in the Middle East. It will cost billions and people will die and we can’t even create a colony anymore because colonies are not in fashion... let’s do it, it will be a good idea.”

I was expecting that after Afghanistan this “thing” would fade but it’s surprisingly persistent.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Sun May 26, 2019 5:45 am

Thuzbekistan wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:
Whatabout X country

Yes, what about x country. If we demonize one for doing the exact things another that we support does, then using those reasons for war is not a good justification

You don't threaten to attack your allies, no matter how terrible their domestic policies are. That's like, basic diplomacy. Iran is not just a rogue, pariah state with a terrible rap sheet for human rights, but it is also not allied with the US or NATO, and thus is viable for military punitive missions, unlike KSA or Turkey.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Sun May 26, 2019 5:51 am

North German Realm wrote:
Thuzbekistan wrote:Yes, what about x country. If we demonize one for doing the exact things another that we support does, then using those reasons for war is not a good justification

You don't threaten to attack your allies, no matter how terrible their domestic policies are. That's like, basic diplomacy. Iran is not just a rogue, pariah state with a terrible rap sheet for human rights, but it is also not allied with the US or NATO, and thus is viable for military punitive missions, unlike KSA or Turkey.

Funding terrorists is not a domestic policy
An INTJ, -A/-T

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Sun May 26, 2019 6:00 am

Thuzbekistan wrote:
North German Realm wrote:You don't threaten to attack your allies, no matter how terrible their domestic policies are. That's like, basic diplomacy. Iran is not just a rogue, pariah state with a terrible rap sheet for human rights, but it is also not allied with the US or NATO, and thus is viable for military punitive missions, unlike KSA or Turkey.

Funding terrorists is not a domestic policy

I'm sure if the governments of The US and other KSA Allies agreed with you, they would have stopped being allies with the KSA. I don't deny that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is one of the most terrible states in the modern world and one that should have been toppled as early as 1925, but to say "Why do they not attack the KSA" when the Saudis are literally allies with most of the "Western World" is just missing the point.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun May 26, 2019 7:42 am

Thuzbekistan wrote:Funding terrorists is not a domestic policy

I'm sure if the governments of The US and other KSA Allies agreed with you, they would have stopped being allies with the KSA. I don't deny that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is one of the most terrible states in the modern world and one that should have been toppled as early as 1925, but to say "Why do they not attack the KSA" when the Saudis are literally allies with most of the "Western World" is just missing the point.

They don't have to be allies.

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Sun May 26, 2019 7:48 am

Heloin wrote:
North German Realm wrote:I'm sure if the governments of The US and other KSA Allies agreed with you, they would have stopped being allies with the KSA. I don't deny that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is one of the most terrible states in the modern world and one that should have been toppled as early as 1925, but to say "Why do they not attack the KSA" when the Saudis are literally allies with most of the "Western World" is just missing the point.

They don't have to be allies.

Yeah. From an ideological standpoint, they probably shouldn't be, but they are. Asking "Why do we attack the country that keeps saying 'DEATH TO THE US', that occupied our embassy 40 years ago, cutting off all possible relations between our nations, and that keeps occupying more embassies of nations allied to us, and who's specifically attempted multiple acts of aggression against our operatives in nations neighboring them but not the country that is, for some reason our ally?" is ridiculous. The US won't perform heavy-handed punitive action on KSA because KSA is their ally. The US may perform heavy-handed punitive action (The type it should have done in 1979 when they fucking took over the US embassy) on Iran because Iran is, due to actions taken by Iran, their enemy.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun May 26, 2019 8:05 am

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Can someone explain to me (I’m a non American so I’m confused)...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Having lived in Florida, do you have any insights on why the US government does this sort of thing?

Is it because it distracts the population from problems at home so that they can be more easily controlled? Is that where the real game is?

I don't understand...

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun May 26, 2019 8:08 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Having lived in Florida, do you have any insights on why the US government does this sort of thing?

Is it because it distracts the population from problems at home so that they can be more easily controlled? Is that where the real game is?

I don't understand...

You pretty much answered your own question
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun May 26, 2019 8:10 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

I don't understand...

You pretty much answered your own question

but why would the people support it

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun May 26, 2019 8:22 am

Heloin wrote:They don't have to be allies.

Yeah. From an ideological standpoint, they probably shouldn't be, but they are.

Just because they are now doesn't mean they have to keep being allies.

Asking "Why do we attack the country that keeps saying 'DEATH TO THE US', that occupied our embassy 40 years ago, cutting off all possible relations between our nations, and that keeps occupying more embassies of nations allied to us, and who's specifically attempted multiple acts of aggression against our operatives in nations neighboring them but not the country that is, for some reason our ally?" is ridiculous.

Ok, in the future avoid run-ons like that. It took me about 5 reads to work out what you were trying to say and I'll be honest I still don't quite know what that had to do with anything.

The US won't perform heavy-handed punitive action on KSA because KSA is their ally.

They don't have to still be allies. there is nothing requiring the US to stay allied to Saudi Arabia forever no matter what horrible things it does. There is no reason the US can't tell the Saudi Government to go fuck itself.

The US may perform heavy-handed punitive action (The type it should have done in 1979 when they fucking took over the US embassy) on Iran because Iran is, due to actions taken by Iran, their enemy.

What has Iran done recently that effects the US or NATO that they should care about?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General