NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In retrospect..

The UK was right to handover HK to China
16%
The UK should have kept HK
20%
The UK should have set up HK as an independent, democratic state
60%
Other
4%

Total votes : 1448

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:48 pm

Bombadil wrote:China’s defense minister took a fresh swipe at U.S.'s foreign policy Monday by vowing “no one and no force” will get in the way of his country’s annexation of Taiwan — and any nation that tries to do so is “doomed to failure.”

Gen. Wei Fenghe did not refer directly to America during his opening remarks at the Chinese-sponsored Xiangshan Forum, but he did recite some of Beijing's greatest hits against Washington and its Western allies, which China believes are trying to constrain the communist nation's development, the Associated Press reported.

"No one and no force will be able to stop the course" of China's annexation of Taiwan, Wei said at the security conference in Beijing, which featured a theme this year of "Maintaining International Order and Promoting Peace in the Asia-Pacific."

China "will never allow the separatists for Taiwan independence to take their chances or any external forces to interfere into the Taiwan affairs,” he added. “Reunification of the motherland is a justified course and separatist activities are doomed to failure."

Quoting made up statements by Fox News isn't really the most covert way to spread conspiracy theories to further ones agenda.

Simply Googling 'Annexation' 'Taiwan' and 'Wei Fenghe' would reveal no other source than Faux News, an outlet with a low Media Credability rating.

Not the best way to push your agenda here Dil. Unless people here live and breathe through anti-China Fake News.
How to be legitimately recognised in NS? Be a proper Roleplayer.
In a community where knowledge should be used to uplift the teachable and be used as an interest instead of a necessity, the arrogant abuse of knowledge is interesting to watch.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:52 pm

Relikai wrote:
Bombadil wrote:China’s defense minister took a fresh swipe at U.S.'s foreign policy Monday by vowing “no one and no force” will get in the way of his country’s annexation of Taiwan — and any nation that tries to do so is “doomed to failure.”

Gen. Wei Fenghe did not refer directly to America during his opening remarks at the Chinese-sponsored Xiangshan Forum, but he did recite some of Beijing's greatest hits against Washington and its Western allies, which China believes are trying to constrain the communist nation's development, the Associated Press reported.

"No one and no force will be able to stop the course" of China's annexation of Taiwan, Wei said at the security conference in Beijing, which featured a theme this year of "Maintaining International Order and Promoting Peace in the Asia-Pacific."

China "will never allow the separatists for Taiwan independence to take their chances or any external forces to interfere into the Taiwan affairs,” he added. “Reunification of the motherland is a justified course and separatist activities are doomed to failure."

Quoting made up statements by Fox News isn't really the most covert way to spread conspiracy theories to further ones agenda.

Simply Googling 'Annexation' 'Taiwan' and 'Wei Fenghe' would reveal no other source than Faux News, an outlet with a low Media Credability rating.

Not the best way to push your agenda here Dil. Unless people here live and breathe through anti-China Fake News.

It literally says its quoting AP News and you can find it there and in many other news outlets..

Link
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:53 pm

*double post*
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:53 pm

Relikai wrote:

I take issue with this Fox News is a credible news source.
Miami Shores is a Province of Greater La Habana Cuba, and La Habana Cuba is a regional Province of Greater Miami Shores, democratic capitalist Republic.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:53 pm

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:
Relikai wrote:

I take issue with this Fox News is a credible news source.

I myself take issue with the fact he's talking complete bullshit.

十年

Diplomat

Postby Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:55 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:I take issue with this Fox News is a credible news source.

I suppose according to both of you, right wing news source Fox News is not credible, but leftist news sources are credible?
Miami Shores is a Province of Greater La Habana Cuba, and La Habana Cuba is a regional Province of Greater Miami Shores, democratic capitalist Republic.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:57 pm

Bombadil wrote:

I suppose according to both of you, right wing news source Fox News is not credible, but leftist news sources are credible?

I check FOX News every day just to see what the parallel universe is up to and so it's where I first saw the story. I don't mind a degree of FOX News as long as it's not US political reporting or opinion pieces.

However this was essentially a repeat of an AP story that's all over the place, the source wasn't really important.
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

十年

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:02 pm

Relikai wrote:Simply Googling 'Annexation' 'Taiwan' and 'Wei Fenghe' would reveal no other source than Faux News, an outlet with a low Media Credability rating.

That's a very odd lie to try and push.

Bombadil wrote:

In what world is the Associated Press leftist news?

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:03 pm

Bombadil wrote:

A. In what world is the Associated Press liberal?
B. In what world is Fox News considered credible and not just a propaganda tool for the Republican Party?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:03 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Relikai wrote:

It literally says its quoting AP News and you can find it there and in many other news outlets..

Link

Tell me which other outlets quoted 'Annexation' with the tone of antagonistic purposes without quotes from AP?

It's funny. It seems that accepting half truths has become the norm just to hate on others and push the common agenda.

CNA, Reuters, among others provided a statement without edits.

But of course, one must choose the source with edited antagonistic undertones. For what reasons I wonder.

Nationstates rule editing(addition/removal) of user quotes as rulebreaking, but it seems that posters do not need to hold themselves up to similar standards of integrity.

If you wish to maintain support, please do not have intent to deceive. While sympathizing with local Hong Kongers, please do not sabotage their attempts.
In a community where knowledge should be used to uplift the teachable and be used as an interest instead of a necessity, the arrogant abuse of knowledge is interesting to watch.

Diplomat

Postby Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:I suppose according to both of you, right wing news source Fox News is not credible, but leftist news sources are credible?

I check FOX News every day just to see what the parallel universe is up to and so it's where I first saw the story. I don't mind a degree of FOX News was long as it's not US political reporting or opinion pieces.

However this was essentially a repeat of an AP story that's all over the place, the source wasn't really important.

I am strong supporter of the Chinese People, Hong Kong People and Taiwan China People as I call Taiwan. Not the Mainland Chinese Commies or whatever they call themselves.

How about if I said the same thing about left wing News sources, I don't call left wing news sources US political reporting opinion pieces, I call them leftist news sources with a leftist spin, the right wing media spins it to the right and the left wing media spins it to the left, it works both ways.

You might like this non partisan post I posted on this thread?
Sorry wrong post, looking for the right link right now.

To Heloin: I am making a general comment to Bombadil, he seems to put down right wing Fox News as not a credible news source, but I bet he would not say that about left wing sources.

I am not talking about the AP.
Last edited by Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:07 pm

Relikai wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Link

Tell me which other outlets quoted 'Annexation' with the tone of antagonistic purposes without quotes from AP?

It's funny. It seems that accepting half truths has become the norm just to hate on others and push the common agenda.

But of course, one must choose the source with edited antagonistic undertones. For what reasons I wonder.

Nationstates rule editing(addition/removal) of user quotes as rulebreaking, but it seems that posters do not need to hold themselves up to similar standards of integrity.

If you wish to maintain support, please do not have intent to deceive. While sympathizing with local Hong Kongers, please do not sabotage their attempts.

Why is that specific word crucial, they didn't say it was a quoted word, and it's not as if he hasn't talked of this before.

"China must be and will be reunified. We find no excuse not to do so. If anyone dares to split Taiwan from China, the Chinese military has no choice but to fight at all costs, at all costs, for national unity," Wei stressed.

"We will strive for the prospect of peaceful unification with utmost sincerity and greatest efforts, but we make no promise to renounce the use of force."

Link

Xi Jinping has said the same.
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

十年

Diplomat

Postby Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:21 pm

New haven america wrote:
Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:I suppose according to both of you, right wing news source Fox News is not credible, but leftist news sources are credible?

A. In what world is the Associated Press liberal?
B. In what world is Fox News considered credible and not just a propaganda tool for the Republican Party?

A. I was not talking about the AP as I explained on my previous post to Bombadil.

B. Fox News is not credible to you as a leftist, but it is credible to millions of right wing American citizens like myself.

The right wing media spins it to the right, and the left wing media spins it to the left, it works both ways, but they both have substance in their posts. I can read between the lines the substance of the leftist medias spin. I can post and source from the right wing media and the left wing media as well.

I am strong supporter of the Chinese People, Hong Kong People and Taiwan China People as I call Taiwan. Not the Mainland Chinese Commies or whatever they call themselves.
Last edited by Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Relikai wrote:

Why is that specific word crucial, they didn't say it was a quoted word, and it's not as if he hasn't talked of this before.

"China must be and will be reunified. We find no excuse not to do so. If anyone dares to split Taiwan from China, the Chinese military has no choice but to fight at all costs, at all costs, for national unity," Wei stressed.

"We will strive for the prospect of peaceful unification with utmost sincerity and greatest efforts, but we make no promise to renounce the use of force."

Link

Xi Jinping has said the same.

Semantics play a part in influencing ones impressions.

Throughout History, Annexation has always been used for acts of forceful conquests. The word Peace doesn't go well with Annexation. That much is key in maintaining fair reporting.

That said the China-Taiwan issue is a long repeated mantra chanted for the past decade.

Heck the two sides, like the two Korea's, are technically still at war so it's just seeing who's willing to escalate militarily or politically.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:24 pm

New haven america wrote:A. In what world is the Associated Press liberal?

A. I was not talking about the AP as I explained on my previous post to Bombadil.

B. Fox News is not credible to you as a leftist, but it is credible to millions of right wing American citizens like myself.

The right wing media spins it to the right, and the left wing media spins it to the left, it works both ways, but they both have substance in their posts. I can read between the lines the substance of the leftist medias spin. I can post and source from the right wing media and the left wing media as well.

I don't know why you keep quoting me as I said I don't mind FOX News, just as long as it's not US politics or opinion pieces. I never questioned the source, Relikai did so take it up with him..

..in another thread ideally.
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

十年

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
how much is the pay?

There must be considerable unseen benefits to the position too right?

Honestly the Muppet won't continually try and escalate the situation needlessly like you clearly would, so I think Beijing would rather have Gonzo as it's Muppet to rule HK through then someone who actually thinks they should be able to do something. Maybe Comrade Big Bird.

Gonzo would not mindlessly turn in his loved ones at the drop of a Chinese hat.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Heloin wrote:Honestly the Muppet won't continually try and escalate the situation needlessly like you clearly would, so I think Beijing would rather have Gonzo as it's Muppet to rule HK through then someone who actually thinks they should be able to do something. Maybe Comrade Big Bird.

Gonzo would not mindlessly turn in his loved ones at the drop of a Chinese hat.

Hench why Gonzo would be a much better puppet for the Chinese State, he knows what China will do to his friends if he screws up. Poor Gonzo :(

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:36 pm

Heloin wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Gonzo would not mindlessly turn in his loved ones at the drop of a Chinese hat.

Hench why Gonzo would be a much better puppet for the Chinese State, he knows what China will do to his friends if he screws up. Poor Gonzo :(

Doesn't help that China pioneered numerous chicken recipes.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:48 pm

New haven america wrote:A. In what world is the Associated Press liberal?

A. Sure you weren't.
B. Well I'm not on the left, so this point's going in the trash.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Miami Shores
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 19, 2008
Anarchy

Postby Miami Shores » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:20 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Heloin wrote:Hench why Gonzo would be a much better puppet for the Chinese State, he knows what China will do to his friends if he screws up. Poor Gonzo :(

I support an Independent western style multi political party capitalist Hong Kong, but China is too strong militarily, I fear their is nothing we can we do to save them.

Posted by Gormwood:

Posted by Miami Shores:
Poor Big Bird, chicken, big bird, close enough.

To Heloin: I was not talking about the AP.
Last edited by Miami Shores on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lol - I am the worlds greatest insomniac, I beat the worlds record every day. I love math statistics and accounting my profession. Retired home bought and paid for, own 2 rental properties. Many vacations in Miami Beach hotels, Niagara Falls Canada, Puerto Rico, Puerto Plata and Punta Cana Dominican Republic. I am not rich but I am not poor, over all not bad. Proud conservative Republican native Cuban and American citizen supporter of President Trump. President Ronald Reagan the greatest American President of the USA ever and the original Make America Great Again President. President Trump the second greatest American President of the USA ever.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:50 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:I hope the next person they appoint is a Muppet. It'd be more honest then appointing someone and pretending they have any power.

Now imagine if I were appointed...

I'd rather not see the citizens of HK crushed under tanks, so no.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:50 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:I hope the next person they appoint is a Muppet. It'd be more honest then appointing someone and pretending they have any power.

i see dead people

Kermit T Frog
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 05, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kermit T Frog » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:05 am

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

I don't think being a muppet would be that fun. You can't eat real food, everything you do looks somewhat comical, you'll have a mans fist... What? Oh uh, never-mind...

And you sleep with a pig.
This nation does not represent the views of the Walt Disney company.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:25 am

The protesters should form a new government and launch an offensive to take the city, and put pro-Beijingers on trial for treason.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:33 am

Kermit T Frog wrote:
Heloin wrote:I don't think being a muppet would be that fun. You can't eat real food, everything you do looks somewhat comical, you'll have a mans fist... What? Oh uh, never-mind...

And you sleep with a pig.

No thanks, I'm not David Cameron.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General