NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In retrospect..

The UK was right to handover HK to China
150
14%
The UK should have kept HK
232
22%
The UK should have set up HK as an independent, democratic state
637
60%
Other
43
4%
 
Total votes : 1062

User avatar
Aidonaian Soviet Republic
Secretary
 
Posts: 35
Founded: Jun 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Aidonaian Soviet Republic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Cekoviu wrote:I'd quite prefer throwing the baby out with the bathwater if Chinese socialism is the alternative.

Well I wasn’t talking about “Socialism with Chinese Characteristics”, which admittedly made China rich with less poor people than in the US.

User avatar
Klorgia1
Envoy
 
Posts: 225
Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Klorgia1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:15 pm

The United Nations, NATO and perhaps a new Democratic coalition have to step in. I'm not sure what power against an economic hegemon, but making it a problem means Hong Kong could end up independent (Macau too) when China's down on it's luck. Once it ends up one city amongst many in the area, this could either be doomed, or be the start of something bigger

A bit off from that, I'm personally all for the Commonwealth putting together some sort of rebuke, though I doubt it will happen, especially for the African nations and Pakistan being in here. If a coalition of Britain, Guyana, India, Australia (I pray) and New Zealand all got together and agreed this was f*cked up, and started moving toward a solution, that would go a long way and help Hong Kong with the cultural feeling of abandonment.
Last edited by Klorgia1 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
News: This Sig Still Exists.

User avatar
Pasong Tirad
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9222
Founded: May 31, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pasong Tirad » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:16 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:There is only one China if only the Mainland would recognize the independence of Taiwan. ;)

Taiwan shouldn't be the administrator of all of China either tbh.

That's part of the recognition process of the independence of Taiwan. Taiwan wants to give up all its claims to the mainland and Mongolia, but can't due to the status quo.

User avatar
Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11980
Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:16 pm

Aidonaian Soviet Republic wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
..through the suppression of people's right to have a say in their own future.. sweet..

We shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water but support democratic socialism there, not bourgeois democracy.

Your opinion is very nice and all, but have you considered letting the Chinese people decide how they want to be governed?
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1504
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Pasong Tirad wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Taiwan shouldn't be the administrator of all of China either tbh.

That's part of the recognition process of the independence of Taiwan. Taiwan wants to give up all its claims to the mainland and Mongolia, but can't due to the status quo.


Good, they shouldn't. There's only one China and it's capital is Taipei.
REJECT THE MAOIST OCCUPATION OF BEIJING; STAND WITH HONG KONG AND THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA IN TAIWAN

User avatar
Aidonaian Soviet Republic
Secretary
 
Posts: 35
Founded: Jun 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Aidonaian Soviet Republic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Aidonaian Soviet Republic wrote:We shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water but support democratic socialism there, not bourgeois democracy.

Your opinion is very nice and all, but have you considered letting the Chinese people decide how they want to be governed?

I just said democratic socialism.

User avatar
Bombadil
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11027
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Klorgia1 wrote:The United Nations, NATO and perhaps a new Democratic coalition have to step in. I'm not sure what power against an economic hegemon, but making it a problem means Hong Kong could end up independent (Macau too) when China's down on it's luck. Once it ends up one city amongst many in the area, this could either be doomed, or be the start of something bigger

A bit off from that, I'm personally all for the Commonwealth putting together some sort of rebuke, though I doubt it will happen, especially for the African nations and Pakistan being in here. If a coalition of Britain, Guyana, India, Australia (I pray) and New Zealand all got together and agreed this was f*cked up, and started moving toward a solution, that would go a long way and help Hong Kong with the cultural feeling of abandonment.


There's a White House petition up at the moment though it's not doing much..

Feel free to share it out peeps.
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

User avatar
Loben The 2nd
Minister
 
Posts: 2144
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Loben The 2nd » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Duhon wrote:Anyone up for another Tiananmen? If you think Hong Kong's economic status will preserve it from violence, Xi Jinping has one of his thousand and on thoughts to share with you.


If you’re Jonesing for another massacre that is.
Eternal Lotharia wrote:You prioritize hatred of ideology over human rights. Fucking disgusting of you.

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Loben is a low tier poster who hardly represents Americans. He is pretty much an edgelord.

Satisfaction guaranteed.

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1504
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Aidonaian Soviet Republic wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Your opinion is very nice and all, but have you considered letting the Chinese people decide how they want to be governed?

I just said democratic socialism.


What if they don't want to run their economy into the ground?
REJECT THE MAOIST OCCUPATION OF BEIJING; STAND WITH HONG KONG AND THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA IN TAIWAN

User avatar
Duhon
Senator
 
Posts: 4089
Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Duhon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Duhon wrote:Anyone up for another Tiananmen? If you think Hong Kong's economic status will preserve it from violence, Xi Jinping has one of his thousand and on thoughts to share with you.


If you’re Jonesing for another massacre that is.


What the heck is a "Jonesing"?

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1504
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:21 pm

Duhon wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:
If you’re Jonesing for another massacre that is.


What the heck is a "Jonesing"?


https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=jonesing
REJECT THE MAOIST OCCUPATION OF BEIJING; STAND WITH HONG KONG AND THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA IN TAIWAN

User avatar
Aidonaian Soviet Republic
Secretary
 
Posts: 35
Founded: Jun 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Aidonaian Soviet Republic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Aidonaian Soviet Republic wrote:I just said democratic socialism.


What if they don't want to run their economy into the ground?

That would be up to their Soviets wouldn’t it?

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1504
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Aidonaian Soviet Republic wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
What if they don't want to run their economy into the ground?

That would be up to their Soviets wouldn’t it?


Here's an idea: fuck Soviets.
REJECT THE MAOIST OCCUPATION OF BEIJING; STAND WITH HONG KONG AND THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA IN TAIWAN

User avatar
Duhon
Senator
 
Posts: 4089
Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Duhon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Duhon wrote:
What the heck is a "Jonesing"?


https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=jonesing


... I don't have "a strong need, desire, or craving" to shoot people dead or oppress them alive, Xi does. Do not confuse me with that motherfucker.

User avatar
Bombadil
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11027
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:25 pm

10:23AM
Protesters gather bricks
At Lung Wo Tunnel's east exit, protesters are plucking loose bricks from pavements.


God I have a bad feeling about all this.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

User avatar
Duhon
Senator
 
Posts: 4089
Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Duhon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Bombadil wrote:10:23AM
Protesters gather bricks
At Lung Wo Tunnel's east exit, protesters are plucking loose bricks from pavements.


God I have a bad feeling about all this.


Hide. Afterwards, deliberate on the fastest way to leave Hong Kong, and organize accordingly. If you can help a few people of Hong Kong leave along the way, that's a world of good.

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1504
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Bombadil wrote:10:23AM
Protesters gather bricks
At Lung Wo Tunnel's east exit, protesters are plucking loose bricks from pavements.


God I have a bad feeling about all this.


Regimes like these can't be protested against; they have to be fought. Nice to see these protesters aren't going to make the same mistake those in Tienanmen did.
REJECT THE MAOIST OCCUPATION OF BEIJING; STAND WITH HONG KONG AND THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA IN TAIWAN

User avatar
Loben The 2nd
Minister
 
Posts: 2144
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Loben The 2nd » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Duhon wrote:


... I don't have "a strong need, desire, or craving" to shoot people dead or oppress them alive, Xi does. Do not confuse me with that motherfucker.


You sure do want to give them an excuse, all safe from the consequences....
Eternal Lotharia wrote:You prioritize hatred of ideology over human rights. Fucking disgusting of you.

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Loben is a low tier poster who hardly represents Americans. He is pretty much an edgelord.

Satisfaction guaranteed.

User avatar
Duhon
Senator
 
Posts: 4089
Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Duhon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Duhon wrote:
... I don't have "a strong need, desire, or craving" to shoot people dead or oppress them alive, Xi does. Do not confuse me with that motherfucker.


You sure do want to give them an excuse, all safe from the consequences....


What the bloody fuck are you talking about?

User avatar
Heloin
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8066
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Heloin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Bombadil wrote:10:23AM
Protesters gather bricks
At Lung Wo Tunnel's east exit, protesters are plucking loose bricks from pavements.


God I have a bad feeling about all this.


Regimes like these can't be protested against; they have to be fought. Nice to see these protesters aren't going to make the same mistake those in Tienanmen did.

tbf those in Tienanmen did fight back. Then the were gunned down by 300,000 PLA soldiers with tanks.
Don't waste any time mourning. Organise! - Joe Hill

Rabbit and Rhodie Girl in her 20's. Proudly Zimbabwean, living in sunny and humid Florida. Industrial Workers of the World
I love Rugby. Go Springboks, Go Sables! Singing Queen of NSG. I draw things. Take a look!

User avatar
Duhon
Senator
 
Posts: 4089
Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Duhon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:32 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Bombadil wrote:10:23AM
Protesters gather bricks
At Lung Wo Tunnel's east exit, protesters are plucking loose bricks from pavements.


God I have a bad feeling about all this.


Regimes like these can't be protested against; they have to be fought. Nice to see these protesters aren't going to make the same mistake those in Tienanmen did.


So tell me of the relative merits of bringing bricks to a gunfight.

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1504
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:32 pm

Heloin wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Regimes like these can't be protested against; they have to be fought. Nice to see these protesters aren't going to make the same mistake those in Tienanmen did.

tbf those in Tienanmen did fight back. Then the were gunned down by 300,000 PLA soldiers with tanks.


By the time they fought back, it was already too late.
REJECT THE MAOIST OCCUPATION OF BEIJING; STAND WITH HONG KONG AND THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA IN TAIWAN

User avatar
Heloin
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8066
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Heloin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Duhon wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Regimes like these can't be protested against; they have to be fought. Nice to see these protesters aren't going to make the same mistake those in Tienanmen did.


So tell me of the relative merits of bringing bricks to a gunfight.

It more easily allows the side with guns to lie and say they were provoked.
Don't waste any time mourning. Organise! - Joe Hill

Rabbit and Rhodie Girl in her 20's. Proudly Zimbabwean, living in sunny and humid Florida. Industrial Workers of the World
I love Rugby. Go Springboks, Go Sables! Singing Queen of NSG. I draw things. Take a look!

User avatar
New Bremerton
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 464
Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Bremerton » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 pm

The worsening political situation, as well as severe overcrowding brought on by Mainlanders flooding into Hong Kong thanks to the city-state's open borders policy and eroding its language, culture and cosmopolitan, multicultural identity, are the reasons my family moved back to Malaysia. My childhood home of nearly 30 years: Sold. Fuck you Beijing. By the way, if any of you guys use WeChat, uninstall it now. I'm pleasantly surprised that HK people are still fighting for their freedom even now. There is a small but not insignificant independence movement and a growing nostalgia for British rule as well as a sense of betrayal at Britain's withdrawal.

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1504
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:34 pm

Duhon wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Regimes like these can't be protested against; they have to be fought. Nice to see these protesters aren't going to make the same mistake those in Tienanmen did.


So tell me of the relative merits of bringing bricks to a gunfight.


Sending a clear message to the regime that the people won't simply roll over and grovel at their command.

Also, martyrdom; inspiring future resistance.
REJECT THE MAOIST OCCUPATION OF BEIJING; STAND WITH HONG KONG AND THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA IN TAIWAN

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aeritai, Bombadil, Caninope, Celritannia, Diarcesia, Drongonia, Forumland, Gigaverse, Google Adsense [Bot], Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba, Hanafuridake, Kowani, MSN [Bot], Nakena, Newne Carriebean7, Rojava Free State, Saint Ryvern, Salus Maior, Stellar Colonies, Tarsonis, The Andromeda Archipelago, The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp, The Hights, The Liberated Territories, The Lone Alliance, Thermodolia, Torrocca, Totally Not OEP, Totenborg, Uiiop, Volstokn, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads