NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In retrospect..

The UK was right to handover HK to China
16%
The UK should have kept HK
20%
The UK should have set up HK as an independent, democratic state
60%
Other
4%

Total votes : 1448

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:15 am

Grenartia wrote:It further occurs to me that paying protestors in a hostile foreign nation is just absolutely boneheaded, even if you have an unlimited budget.

After all, that $1k a month is useless if it isn't spent, and what are HKers gonna spend it on? Rent, food, etc. All of which some way or another, go into the CCP's treasury.

So why would China be complaining about getting free money? Sure, the unrest and negative PR are problems, but its literally getting free money to counteract that, if its narrative is true.

That's more persuasive than the previous argument, Grenatia. The CIA could afford it, their budget is mostly hidden in other Defense spending.

But any spending on that scale would have to pass Donald J. Trump. It wouldn't.
Last edited by Nobel Hobos 2 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:30 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Grenartia wrote:It further occurs to me that paying protestors in a hostile foreign nation is just absolutely boneheaded, even if you have an unlimited budget.

After all, that $1k a month is useless if it isn't spent, and what are HKers gonna spend it on? Rent, food, etc. All of which some way or another, go into the CCP's treasury.

So why would China be complaining about getting free money? Sure, the unrest and negative PR are problems, but its literally getting free money to counteract that, if its narrative is true.

That's more persuasive than the previous argument, Grenatia. The CIA could afford it, their budget is mostly hidden in other Defense spending.

If I'm not mistaken, the $15 billion figure accounts for that. But even if it isn't, lets estimate it only gets an extra 100% of its allocated budget through DoD spending. It still has to pay for everything else it does, so while $40 billion total could fund almost 2 years worth of protests, it would still be unable to afford to do literally anything else.

Oh, it would, if it were suggested. He's stupid enough to think it would work. We're talking about a guy who thinks money can buy anything, after all.
Last edited by Grenartia on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:46 am

Grenartia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the $15 billion figure accounts for that. But even if it isn't, lets estimate it only gets an extra 100% of its allocated budget through DoD spending. It still has to pay for everything else it does, so while $40 billion total could fund almost 2 years worth of protests, it would still be unable to afford to do literally anything else.

As one of the supposedly secret agencies, CIA can't expose its level of activity in any given year by putting it all on-budget.

There is a relatively recent avenue of attack on cryptographic programs, which measures the power drain (analogous to budget drain) of the program as it 'solves' a crypto problem. But to put it more simply, if the CIA suddenly spent $30 billion instead of $15, even a goat herder in Yemen would be wondering why.

Oh, it would, if it were suggested. He's stupid enough to think it would work. We're talking about a guy who thinks money can buy anything, after all.

We're talking about a guy who wants to cut every kind of foreign spending, even military.

I'm not sure, really. I just wanted to say "they wouldn't because it is foreign aid" is a stronger argument than "they wouldn't because the CIA can't afford it". And I'm not persuaded by either argument.

A much smaller investment to train and inform some of the protestors, is what I'd do if I wanted to make trouble for China.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:15 am

Grenartia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
WARNING: Do not apply logic when driving CCP thought, head asplosion might result.

Literally.

Our shooting squads are very accurate.

It further occurs to me that paying protestors in a hostile foreign nation is just absolutely boneheaded, even if you have an unlimited budget.

True,
If the CIA were in fact paying off the protesters you would be able to see and measure a increase in consumer spending, local GDP and assets.

Also there would be a increase in value of the Hong Kong Dollar.

Because even if the protesters were paid exclusively in USD, they would have to convert it to Hong Kong Dollars.

Besides if the PRC has any remotely competent police or counterintelligence at all surely it would be able to catch some of said “paid protesters” and prove they have in fact received strange payments and unexplained income.
And get some confessions and so on.

In fact I am surprised the PRC has not gone through the effort of actually framing them, dumping a few thousand into a protesters account, arresting them and then torturing them into “confessing” they knowingly got it from the CIA or something.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:18 am

Novus America wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
It further occurs to me that paying protestors in a hostile foreign nation is just absolutely boneheaded, even if you have an unlimited budget.

True,
If the CIA were in fact paying off the protesters you would be able to see and measure a increase in consumer spending, local GDP and assets.

Also there would be a increase in value of the Hong Kong Dollar.

Because even if the protesters were paid exclusively in USD, they would have to convert it to Hong Kong Dollars.

Besides if the PRC has any remotely competent police or counterintelligence at all surely it would be able to catch some of said “paid protesters” and prove they have in fact received strange payments and unexplained income.
And get some confessions and so on.

In fact I am surprised the PRC has not gone through the effort of actually framing them, dumping a few thousand into a protesters account, arresting them and then torturing them into “confessing” they knowingly got it from the CIA or something.

For some rather weird reason Beijing is using lots of tactics except this one. Good on them if they don’t want to taint public image even further (though it is truly destroyed in the minds of many).
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:19 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Actually most of the CIA’s funding comes separately from the DoD.
Most US overall intelligence spending is “hidden” or included in DoD budget but through other intelligence agencies that are actually part of the DoD like the NRO, NSA and DIA. (The DIA is entirely separate from the CIA)

The CIA is not part of the DoD, unlike many other US intel agencies.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:23 am

Novus America wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Most US overall intelligence spending is “hidden” or included in DoD budget but through other intelligence agencies that are actually part of the DoD like the NRO, NSA and DIA. (The DIA is entirely separate from the CIA)

On a sidenote, why does the US have so many completely useless law engorcement agencies that are tasked with essentially the same things? Take for instance, we already have many major agencies who can get the job done like ATF, FBI, CIA, NSA and then we have DIA, etc. and they’re all working together in an interagency task force where one’s abilities can be covered by the other or are severely undermined because of greater capabilities on their sister agency.

Sooo, that just renders that agency relatively useless and just another one of those sitting around and pleading for relevancy in Congress budget sessions. We really need to dismantle those redundant agencies so that the capabilities of the more larger ones are expanded or funding is diverted into other causes.
Last edited by Pilipinas and Malaya on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:29 am

Bombadil wrote:Meanwhile Sri Lanka is re-looking on it's debt deal with China over its major port..

In the election manifesto, Gotabaya and the SLPP had said the “Hambantota port is a national asset and was defined as a strategic asset by us previously, and the intention was never to sell or lease the port for 99 years.” The document added that, if victorious, the new government would “make it a priority to revisit the already signed agreement with the Chinese government and explore ways as to how best we could bring about a win-win for the two countries.”

Since 2017, Hambantota‘s fate has become the poster child for criticism of China’s Belt and Road Initiative and its “debt-trap” diplomacy. Even though the series of events that led to the debt-equity swap had been initiated by Mahinda Rajapaksa as early as 2007, it appears now as if the new Sri Lankan government—which includes Mahinda as prime minister—is treading a familiar path in revisiting previous obligations to China.

Link

This comes after revelations that a contract with China by Kenya stipulates it loses Mombasa port if they fail to pay back investment into a railway..

A leaked copy of the contract Kenya signed with China for the construction of the giant Mombasa-Nairobi Standard Gauge railway project is causing political shockwaves in the country.

This is amid revelations that the country could lose the port of Mombasa to the Chinese government, if the national Railway Corporation defaults in the payment of Sh227 billion owed to Exim Bank of China.

That amounts to an estimated 1.9 billion euros. The revelations are contained in the front page article of today’s Daily Nation newspaper which claims it has managed to secure a leaked copy of the contract.

Link

Any country needs to seriously revisit its financial and technological links to China beyond the abuses and suppression of freedom and people in Xinjiang, Tibet and HK.

Seems the world is waking up.

Although in these cases the concerns seem to be due to that fact the PRC loan sharking is basically their local governments pawning the country to the PRC, and not based on concerns about PRC human rights abuses elsewhere.

Still any reason to get people to wake up to the PRC threat is a good thing.

Although the PRC’s war on human rights is one threat the PRC poses. It is not the only threat.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:34 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
Novus America wrote:

On a sidenote, why does the US have so many completely useless law engorcement agencies that are tasked with essentially the same things? Take for instance, we already have many major agencies who can get the job done like ATF, FBI, CIA, NSA and then we have DIA, etc. and they’re all working together in an interagency task force where one’s abilities can be covered by the other or are severely undermined because of greater capabilities on their sister agency.

Sooo, that just renders that agency relatively useless and just another one of those sitting around and pleading for relevancy in Congress budget sessions. We really need to dismantle those redundant agencies so that the capabilities of the more larger ones are expanded or funding is diverted into other causes.

Oh there is a huge amount of redundancy and overlap in the US government.
The reason why is primarily politics, when a big public problem happens Congress creates a whole new agency to fix it, without checking if there is one doing it already. And we create new agencies far faster than we get rid of obsolete ones.
Also agencies have a tendency towards massive mission creep, trying to expand their mission especially into new fields like cybercrime and cyber security to justify a larger budget, without any regard to whether or not another agency already is better suited to do it.

But that is a discussion for another thread.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:42 am

Novus America wrote:

Yeah.

I don't have much to add. The Federal government has tried to reduce that redundancy (after the intelligence failure of 9/11) by bringing the agencies together under one Secretary of Homeland Security.

I can't give an opinion about whether that worked. It's all secret, y'know?

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Yeah.

I don't have much to add. The Federal government has tried to reduce that redundancy (after the intelligence failure of 9/11) by bringing the agencies together under one Secretary of Homeland Security.

I can't give an opinion about whether that worked. It's all secret, y'know?

We fixed the problem of redundant and overlapping agencies that do not talk to each other by creating even more redundant and overlapping agencies that do not talk to each other. :p
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:48 am

Novus America wrote:[In fact I am surprised the PRC has not gone through the effort of actually framing them, dumping a few thousand into a protesters account, arresting them and then torturing them into “confessing” they knowingly got it from the CIA or something.

Chinese state media reported Saturday that Lee Henley, also identified as Hu Xiang and a citizen of an unidentified foreign country, was arrested for allegedly funding activities threatening China's national security including "conspiring with foreign forces to support Hong Kong riots."

Give 'em time.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:55 am

Luziyca wrote:The only reason why I support China is because it is the only viable alternative to the United States and its policies right now. But if the EU were to be more centralized, or at least have a united EU army, I'd support the EU over China.

Seeing how everyone already told you why it's most definitely not a better alternative, I'm just gonna sit here and laugh,
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:02 am

Bombadil wrote:
Novus America wrote:[In fact I am surprised the PRC has not gone through the effort of actually framing them, dumping a few thousand into a protesters account, arresting them and then torturing them into “confessing” they knowingly got it from the CIA or something.

Chinese state media reported Saturday that Lee Henley, also identified as Hu Xiang and a citizen of an unidentified foreign country, was arrested for allegedly funding activities threatening China's national security including "conspiring with foreign forces to support Hong Kong riots."

Give 'em time.

Ah, I spoke too soon.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:15 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SKBN1Y80R8
So the PRC is now blaming their diplomats for not being aggressive enough for the failure of their message. Funny.

Shoot the messenger :lol:

After all it could ONLY be that they have not pushed it enough, not that it was a bad message in the first place, selling bad policies :roll:

This is the authoritarian leader trap. The PRC cannot possibly consider that the problem is Xi’s policies and the way to fix the problem is to change those policies.
Instead they are just doubling down on pushing the same flawed policies even harder.

Also funny that their solution is more angry whataboutism:
“Zhao has regularly needled the United States, with recent tweets thanking America for "squandering trillions of dollars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria" and highlighting racism in Washington, DC.”
Sure it is true we were stupid to squander that money.

But that does not have anything to do the PRC’s Hong Kong policies.
That does not make their case any stronger.

Finally though how are they allowed to be on Twitter? Twitter is banned in the PRC, so we should ban the PRC from using it until they allow it to be used there.

Twitter should have done so already. Not morally because they do not care about that, but because it is a logical business decision.
They should tell the PRC that they cannot use Twitter until they allow it.

But because Twitter will not do the right thing from both a moral, political And finance perspective the government should step in.

The PRC and all PRC owned companies and employees should be banned from all US social media until they unblock US social media in the PRC.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:28 am

What's that? The CCP is refusing to take the blame that they're a shitty political party? Wow color me surprised :roll:
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 am

Novus America wrote:Also funny that their solution is more angry whataboutism:
“Zhao has regularly needled the United States, with recent tweets thanking America for "squandering trillions of dollars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria" and highlighting racism in Washington, DC.”

*meanwhile the Chinese government endorses blackface, mass incarcerates Uighurs based on their ethnicity/religion, and has has high ranking officials utter things that make even trump downright sound like an sjw*
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:45 am

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:
Novus America wrote:Also funny that their solution is more angry whataboutism:

*meanwhile the Chinese government endorses blackface, mass incarcerates Uighurs based on their ethnicity/religion, and has has high ranking officials utter things that make even trump downright sound like an sjw*

Honestly the fact Trump is not the most ridiculous politician in the world at this point is about twenty hundred times more disappointing and embarrassing than the fact Trump got elected in the first place.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:22 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Yes, but they are a minority. Most their supporters here are only in it for the money, not genuine ideological affinity. Especially as it is not clear what their ideology is beyond the accumulation of money and power.

The only reason why I support China is because it is the only viable alternative to the United States and its policies right now. But if the EU were to be more centralized, or at least have a united EU army, I'd support the EU over China.

How much are you getting payed?
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:07 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Yes, but they are a minority. Most their supporters here are only in it for the money, not genuine ideological affinity. Especially as it is not clear what their ideology is beyond the accumulation of money and power.

The only reason why I support China is because it is the only viable alternative to the United States and its policies right now. But if the EU were to be more centralized, or at least have a united EU army, I'd support the EU over China.

The Chinese government is far worse than the American one. They've killed literally over 40 million people, fuck them
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:15 am

Luziyca wrote:
Novus America wrote:

What part of China’s demonstrated abuses of human rights, outright hypocrisy and violation of clear international law (which it helps draft/govern/enforce) and its own central tenets make it a viable alternative to the US, who may have some of those problems, but at the least, they’re attempting to fix it unlike China who is horribly failing in sweeping this under the rug?

Do we have to reiterate what has simply been displayed lots of times in this thread to countless users of why China is undeserving of these powers?
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid

Hong Kong People
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hong Kong People » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:26 am

North German Realm wrote:
Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:

Honestly the fact Trump is not the most ridiculous politician in the world at this point is about twenty hundred times more disappointing and embarrassing than the fact Trump got elected in the first place.

At least Trump has the guts to stand up to China.Without him and the trade war, China will continue to export its totalitarian style of governance to all over the world without any fear. I don't see that Angela Merkel has the same bravery and determination as Trump when it comes to dealing with China.All she knows is to appease China.She even tells Europe not to regard China as a threat.I find it even more ridiculous than Trump not being called the most ridiculous politician in the world.
Last edited by Hong Kong People on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Founded: May 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:29 am

^inept, in debt tycoon is first partner of affairs with china
Last edited by Phoenicaea on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:17 am

Hong Kong People wrote:
North German Realm wrote:Honestly the fact Trump is not the most ridiculous politician in the world at this point is about twenty hundred times more disappointing and embarrassing than the fact Trump got elected in the first place.

At least Trump has the guts to stand up to China.Without him and the trade war, China will continue to export its totalitarian style of governance to all over the world without any fear. I don't see that Angela Merkel has the same bravery and determination as Trump when it comes to dealing with China.All she knows is to appease China.She even tells Europe not to regard China as a threat.I find it even more ridiculous than Trump not being called the most ridiculous politician in the world.

Given that China can't possibly militarily invade Europe since they are an entire continent apart, its no surprise Merkel doesn't regard China as an imminent threat right now, since unlike Russia, they don't even border any European country. Although the PRC's economic sway should be curtailed by any means neccessary, preferably through a total UN-wide embargo.
Last edited by Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia on Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:25 am

Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia wrote:
Hong Kong People wrote:At least Trump has the guts to stand up to China.Without him and the trade war, China will continue to export its totalitarian style of governance to all over the world without any fear. I don't see that Angela Merkel has the same bravery and determination as Trump when it comes to dealing with China.All she knows is to appease China.She even tells Europe not to regard China as a threat.I find it even more ridiculous than Trump not being called the most ridiculous politician in the world.

Given that China can't possibly militarily invade Europe since they are an entire continent apart, its no surprise Merkel doesn't regard China as an imminent threat right now, since unlike Russia, they don't even border any European country. Although the PRC's economic sway should be curtailed by any means neccessary IMHO.

The thing is she is going weak on Russia too. Her problem is a deep seated problem, she has a deeply naive view of the world. Views BOTH Xi and Putin as partners, not adversaries.

If the EU would build up its military forces enough to deter Russia on their own so we can better focus on the PRC that would be great. But Merkel is fighting efforts to strengthen European military rebuilding with her opposition to real improvements in defense spending.

If Germany rebuilt its military to 1980 West Germany alone levels (which after reuniting would not be that hard given its much larger population and economy) it could pretty much neutralize the Russian threat on its own.

But she goes for the Molotov Ribbentrop Pipeline (aka Nord Stream II instead).
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General