NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In retrospect..

The UK was right to handover HK to China
16%
The UK should have kept HK
20%
The UK should have set up HK as an independent, democratic state
60%
Other
4%

Total votes : 1448

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:05 pm

New haven america wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
So its okay to smash windows and destroy public property because you're not happy about the government's present economic policies? You realise this argument is basically giving carte blanche to political terrorists, right? Any time you disagree with the government's policies in anything, no matter how big or small, you can vandalise buildings and attack law enforcement and drag bystanders into your rioting and your violence and your blocking of traffic, just because you don't like something. That's childish entitlement.

In Chinese history there was this term called "The Mantle of Heaven" which basically meant that the current government or ruling party was OK'ed by the gods, heaven, any omnipotent force they came up with, etc... Whenever said ruling power got too corrupt or out of hand then it was common for the people or lesser powers to rise up an claim that the main government had lost the mantle and needed to be replaced, sometimes violently, sometimes peacefully.

So if we're looking at this situation from a historically point of view, yes.

Yeah that's not how the Mandate of Heaven works. Its actually the opposite, the people don't get to individually decide whether the Mandate has been lost or not. It's not you waking up one day and saying 'I don't like my government, so I've decided its lost the Mandate of Heaven, now I don't have to obey the law anymore'.

In fact, the very nature of Confucian philosophy preaches the opposite of this kind of individualistic self-judgment, arrogating to yourself the right to unilaterally not obey the government at your choosing.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Purgatio wrote:
New haven america wrote:In Chinese history there was this term called "The Mantle of Heaven" which basically meant that the current government or ruling party was OK'ed by the gods, heaven, any omnipotent force they came up with, etc... Whenever said ruling power got too corrupt or out of hand then it was common for the people or lesser powers to rise up an claim that the main government had lost the mantle and needed to be replaced, sometimes violently, sometimes peacefully.

So if we're looking at this situation from a historically point of view, yes.

Yeah that's not how the Mandate of Heaven works. Its actually the opposite, the people don't get to individually decide whether the Mandate has been lost or not. It's not you waking up one day and saying 'I don't like my government, so I've decided its lost the Mandate of Heaven, now I don't have to obey the law anymore'.

In fact, the very nature of Confucian philosophy preaches the opposite of this kind of individualistic self-judgment, arrogating to yourself the right to unilaterally not obey the government at your choosing.

And if you want to believe that, that's cool.

Luckily you live in a society where it's okay to be incorrect.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:07 pm

New haven america wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

I'm just saying the law would be pretty ineffectual if individuals can just magically snap their fingers and decide at their own discretion to stop following it. Vandalism is still vandalism and assault is still assault. These Hong Kong rioters are lawless violent criminals, no ifs or buts about it.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Neko-koku
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:08 pm

New haven america wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

For now. PRC won't leave Singapore alone, nor will haters of Chinese people.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Purgatio wrote:
New haven america wrote:And if you want to believe that, that's cool.

I'm just saying the law would be pretty ineffectual if individuals can just magically snap their fingers and decide at their own discretion to stop following it. Vandalism is still vandalism and assault is still assault. These Hong Kong rioters are lawless violent criminals, no ifs or buts about it.

If that's what you choose to believe then there's nothing I can do to stop you from thinking that, and I don't really care to either.

Again, you're lucky that you live in a society that allows you to be incorrect.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Purgatio wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Yes, throughout history when the government is no longer seen to represent or provide for the people then revolution occurs. To be Chinese the government loses its 'mantle of heaven'.

People will generally suffer a lot before resorting to protests, and this isn't some small band of political terrorists given an estimated 1.7M people turned out to peacefully protest yesterday, despite heavy rainstorms, and with the backing of a good deal more.

That's 1.7M out of a population of 7.2M actually turning out to walk the streets. That's pretty extraordinary, I don't know if there's a similar ratio of protestors to the population seen before, anywhere.

I think when that number turns out then, as a government, you should make some attempt to listen to the concerns and act accordingly but that is not happening. And so the protests will continue.

This is all entirely at the feet of the HK government.

The large number of rioters out in the streets wrecking havoc and public crime and disorder should be viewed as a negative, not a positive. I don't think its 'extraordinary', I read what you write and it terrifies me that so many people in Hong Kong are willing to terrorise their own city and plunge it into lawless anarchy and commit vandalism and harassment.

Your continued description of largely peaceful protestors as vandals and harassers is categorically wrong. Certainly there are times when it spills over among a minority but for the great majority the protests are peacefully undertaken. So your sweeping characterisations, at this point, must be knowingly disingenuous.

Let's remember this is due to a police force that simply walked away when a bunch of triads attacked people at the Yuen Long MTR. This is also a police that dressed plain clothes leading to a heightened sense of fear that led to the clashes at the airport.

However personally I don't really blame the police, I absolutely blame a government that has shown itself to remain deaf to what's going on in the desperate hope it settles down and they can continue selling off HK to the detriment of the HK people.
Last edited by Bombadil on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:13 pm

Purgatio, please just don't support CCP for your own sake.

If there has to be a WWIII we need to make it a war over Communism and authoritarianism, not an ethnic war. Otherwise Singapore is going to be depopulated and annexed into Malaysia.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:14 pm

Friendly reminder that cops are never victims when inside a protest.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:17 pm

North German Realm wrote:Friendly reminder that cops are never victims when inside a protest.

Yeppo.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Purgatio wrote:

The law is downright nightmarish if people are just gonna obey it without question and be mindless drones while their friends and family are arrested for thought crimes
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:23 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

The law is downright nightmarish if people are just gonna obey it without question and be mindless drones while their friends and family are arrested for thought crimes

Do not ever underestimate the power of Sinostatism, the most extreme form of statism before 20th century Communism & Nazism.
Last edited by Neko-koku on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:26 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

Sinostatism is actually very easy to discover. If you look up the first-level subdivisions of China you will find that they are pretty much as culture-deficient and artificial as most colonial ones.

For example Henan (河南) means "to the south of Yellow River", Heilongjiang (黑龙江) means "Amur River", Zhejiang (浙江) means "Qiantang River" and Xinjiang (新疆) means "new territory".

These are not more culture-rich than names such as "Upper Burma" and "Lower Burma". Hell even colonial place names often have more culture retained than Chinese ones...which are often literally based on rivers, lakes, mountains etc, not people. From these dry place names you can discover a completely deracinated population with almost no organic identity at all.
Last edited by Neko-koku on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:30 pm

Neko-koku wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Sinostatism is actually very easy to discover. If you look up the first-level subdivisions of China you will find that they are pretty much as culture-deficient and artificial as most colonial ones.

For example Henan (河南) means "to the south of Yellow River", Heilongjiang (黑龙江) means "Amur River" and Xinjiang (新疆) means "new territory".

These are not more culture-rich than names such as "Upper Burma" and "Lower Burma".

To be fair, there's a reason why the poetic name for Chinese provinces is often its "abbreviated" name like Yu (豫, which interestingly enough means "large elephant"). Many modern province names are pretty descriptive, but they (barring border provinces that only became part of China relatively recently) generally have older names that are seen as being more poetic (even though they ultimately comes from pretty mundane things millennia ago).
Last edited by Tuthina on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:31 pm

Tuthina wrote:
Neko-koku wrote:Sinostatism is actually very easy to discover. If you look up the first-level subdivisions of China you will find that they are pretty much as culture-deficient and artificial as most colonial ones.

For example Henan (河南) means "to the south of Yellow River", Heilongjiang (黑龙江) means "Amur River" and Xinjiang (新疆) means "new territory".

These are not more culture-rich than names such as "Upper Burma" and "Lower Burma".

To be fair, there's a reason why the poetic name for Chinese provinces is often its "abbreviated" name like Yu (豫, which interestingly enough means "large elephant"). Many modern province names are pretty descriptive, but they generally have older names that are seen as being more poetic (even though they ultimately comes from pretty mundane things millennia ago).

Right. These are MUCH better. They often dated back to an earlier age when China was not THAT deracinated. From Qin to Communism statism strengthened over time and organic identity declined over time.

The current Chinese provinces are mostly of Mongol origins. Yet neither Ming nor ROC bothered to change it.
Last edited by Neko-koku on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:33 pm

Neko-koku wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

These are not more culture-rich than names such as "Upper Burma" and "Lower Burma". Hell even colonial place names often have more culture retained than Chinese ones...which are often literally based on rivers, lakes, mountains etc, not people.

I don't know if that's fair, globally older names were pretty blandly descriptive.. Cambridge is the bridge over the River Cam, Oxford is the ford where ox can cross.

China culturally is more centred around food, and food names can be far more imbued with culture, such as Crossing the Bridge Noodles or Ants Climbing the Tree.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:35 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Neko-koku wrote:Sinostatism is actually very easy to discover. If you look up the first-level subdivisions of China you will find that they are pretty much as culture-deficient and artificial as most colonial ones.

These are not more culture-rich than names such as "Upper Burma" and "Lower Burma". Hell even colonial place names often have more culture retained than Chinese ones...which are often literally based on rivers, lakes, mountains etc, not people.

I don't know if that's fair, globally older names were pretty blandly descriptive.. Cambridge is the bridge over the River Cam, Oxford is the ford where ox can cross.

China culturally is more centred around food, and food names can be far more imbued with culture, such as Crossing the Bridge Noodles or Ants Climbing the Tree.

Heck, my city is named Pomegranate. (Translated, anyway.)
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Kowani wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Heck, my city is named Pomegranate. (Translated, anyway.)

Which country is it in?

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:38 pm

Bombadil wrote:

Most such nations at least have a culturally relevant state name unless they are colonial creations such as South Africa. Hell there is a reason why Sub-Saharan Africans are ashamed of the words "Rhodesia" and "South-West Africa" and renamed them.

Well, even "China" and "Han" are statist names. "China" means "Qin", Zhongguo (中国) means "the state in the middle" which is a generic name also used by Japanese to refer to a region sort of in the middle (not really) of Japan and Han is the name of another centralized state.

Where are the people? No, there are no people! Instead there is only the fucking Leviathan.

Even other countries with histories of centrism and statism tend to have better names. For example Iran is "Land of Aryans", Russia is from "Rus" and France is from the Franks.
Last edited by Neko-koku on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:49 pm

Extreme statism caused the Chinese to be the most divided and least politically (and militarily) active people on this entire planet.

Of course the only reason why Singapore is independent at all is Malays kicking it out of Malaysia..and that even today place names in Singapore are mostly Malay or British, the Singaporean flag has a new moon despite having few Muslims, the Singaporean anthem is in Malay and people from every race and ethnic group can get Chinese Singaporean girls while Tamil, Malay girls and even foreign maids almost never have interest in Chinese Singaporean men.

Of course Chinese folks submit to Africans in Africa, Latin Americans in Latin America and Papuans in Papua New Guinea....just like pre-Israel Jews we have no state that gives a shit about us and have to bow down to anyone and everyone. Arabs won't. Pre-PC whites and East Europeans won't. Mongols and Central Asians won't. Africans won't. Almost nobody except for Chinese, Japanese and Korean people (and pre-Israel Jews) have this fucking habit and among the three it is the worst among the Chinese.
Last edited by Neko-koku on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 pm

Neko-koku wrote:
Kowani wrote:Heck, my city is named Pomegranate. (Translated, anyway.)

Which country is it in?

Spain.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Aprait
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 06, 2019

Postby Aprait » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:43 am

I just hope that the city where I came from would eventually find a resolution soon.

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:06 am

Aprait wrote:I just hope that the city where I came from would eventually find a resolution soon.

It will, just probably not the resolution many of us would like. Maybe I'm still too pessimistic, but I still think that the crisis will end when one side has bled too much to continue, which most likely would be the protesters and the general population. For that, the city will bleed.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Belagia
Lobbyist

Founded: May 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Belagia » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:40 am

Tuthina wrote:
Aprait wrote:I just hope that the city where I came from would eventually find a resolution soon.

It will, just probably not the resolution many of us would like. Maybe I'm still too pessimistic, but I still think that the crisis will end when one side has bled too much to continue, which most likely would be the protesters and the general population. For that, the city will bleed.

If the City bleeds... So will the Yangtze, but in Napalm blaze.

#BombTheFuckOutOfChinaGang
Last edited by Belagia on Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 am

Neko-koku wrote:Extreme statism caused the Chinese to be the most divided and least politically (and militarily) active people on this entire planet.

Of course the only reason why Singapore is independent at all is Malays kicking it out of Malaysia..and that even today place names in Singapore are mostly Malay or British, the Singaporean flag has a new moon despite having few Muslims, the Singaporean anthem is in Malay and people from every race and ethnic group can get Chinese Singaporean girls while Tamil, Malay girls and even foreign maids almost never have interest in Chinese Singaporean men.

Of course Chinese folks submit to Africans in Africa, Latin Americans in Latin America and Papuans in Papua New Guinea....just like pre-Israel Jews we have no state that gives a shit about us and have to bow down to anyone and everyone. Arabs won't. Pre-PC whites and East Europeans won't. Mongols and Central Asians won't. Africans won't. Almost nobody except for Chinese, Japanese and Korean people (and pre-Israel Jews) have this fucking habit and among the three it is the worst among the Chinese.

This is all over the place, man. How are you drawing massive leaps of logic from 'extreme Statism' to interracial dating habits, I can't even begin to fathom what you're saying here, let alone respond.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:03 am

Purgatio wrote:

If you're referring to the Triads that the police have stepped aside to allow them to attack the protesters, then yes that is true. Since I know you're talking about the protesters however, no they're not.

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:Hence the wide spectrum of shit. I know you and Purgatio will say that China isn't currently an Imperial power because some shit about empires that died 60 years ago but China is at this moment a colonising imperial power.

And it does send soldiers overseas.

You’re confusing China with the British and American empires

You can lie all you want and pretend that China currently isn't an Imperial power. You'd just be lying though.
Last edited by Heloin on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General