NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In retrospect..

The UK was right to handover HK to China
16%
The UK should have kept HK
20%
The UK should have set up HK as an independent, democratic state
60%
Other
4%

Total votes : 1448

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:46 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Right. It is limited to the “North Atlantic Area” which includes all of Europe, but also covers some areas outside Europe.
But it never covered Hong Kong.

They should stop pretending its going to be limited...NATO is just an extension of American Power; and as such, it will expand wherever America wants it to (assuming America is unstoppable, which it clearly isn't).

Eh NATO members all have equal vote, and any vote to change anything must be unanimous.
So the US cannot actually change it without all members agreeing.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 am

Novus America wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:They should stop pretending its going to be limited...NATO is just an extension of American Power; and as such, it will expand wherever America wants it to (assuming America is unstoppable, which it clearly isn't).

Eh NATO members all have equal vote, and any vote to change anything must be unanimous.
So the US cannot actually change it without all members agreeing.

Yeah, but it all relies fundamentally on American Military Muscle, so to pretend that America can't push things whichever way they want, is ridiculous...

But this is off topic, we can argue this elsewhere, on TG.
Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cynereth
Secretary

Founded: May 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Cynereth » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:43 am

New Bremerton wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Even if the British had tried to keep it the PRC would have invaded anyways.
It was militarily indefensible.

But at least that would have made the PRC show its true ugly fave to the world.

It would have been even better if Britain had handed HK over to the U.S. as a self-governing, unincorporated (i.e. not part of the U.S. proper) insular area with a constitutional right to secede, similar to Puerto Rico, complete with U.S. troops, because nobody messes with America. I wouldn't mind being an American national (not to be confused with an American citizen; it's more akin to B(N)O status prior to 1997). But you're right. People, especially HKers, wouldn't realize just how deceitful China can be.

Attempting to absorb Hong Kong into the protection of the United States would have been a geopolitical crisis on a level not seen since the height of the Cold War. Beijing would never have allowed the United States to gain a foothold on their doorstep; they've spent dump trucks full of money for decades now to try and finagle out of the U.S.'s policy of Pacific containment.
NO HATE.- I -- L -- O -- V -- E -- U -NO FEAR.

THECONCORDANCEOFCYNERETH
PATHEAS CAISTUSAES CYNERETHESTHE GREATER ANARYSSIAN REALM

A New Member of the Roleplaying Region of Ajax.

IMPORTANTLINKS
Cynereth II Wiki|NS Factbook: Introduction|NS Factbook: Leadership|Roleplay Sign-Up Thread: Indomitable
POLITICALCOMPASS
Economic Left/Right: -4.13Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92Party Affiliation: Democratic / Labour

STRONGLYOPPOSE
Bigotry, Communism, Fascism, Homophobia, Nazism, Political Violence, Racism, Sexism

STRONGLYSUPPORT
Egalitarianism, Environmentalism, Gender Equality, Freedom of Speech, Intellectualism, LGBT+ Equality, Meritocracy, Religious Tolerance

"Make life an art, rather than art from life." — David Gilmour, Lead Guitarist, Pink Floyd

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:29 pm

Novus America wrote:
New haven america wrote:No they wouldn't have, Hong Kong being under UK control meant it was part of NATO.

If China tried to or did invade, they'd have most of North America and Europe on their ass (Also, they're completely surrounded by US allies and Commonwealth countries. Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, The Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand would block all of China's waterways, while Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh, could be used as pit stops and resource bases for European NATO soldiers going into China).

NATO never protected Hong Kong. It is geographically limited to protect territories only in the North Atlantic region.

Yeah North Atlantic countries like Turkey, Montenegro, Romania, The Baltics, Poland, the Czech Republic, etc...!
Last edited by New haven america on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Right. It is limited to the “North Atlantic Area” which includes all of Europe, but also covers some areas outside Europe.
But it never covered Hong Kong.

They should stop pretending its going to be limited...NATO is just an extension of American Power; and as such, it will expand wherever America wants it to (assuming America is unstoppable, which it clearly isn't).

Not our fault most European NATO countries refuse to pay their required bills.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Cynereth wrote:
New Bremerton wrote:
It would have been even better if Britain had handed HK over to the U.S. as a self-governing, unincorporated (i.e. not part of the U.S. proper) insular area with a constitutional right to secede, similar to Puerto Rico, complete with U.S. troops, because nobody messes with America. I wouldn't mind being an American national (not to be confused with an American citizen; it's more akin to B(N)O status prior to 1997). But you're right. People, especially HKers, wouldn't realize just how deceitful China can be.

Attempting to absorb Hong Kong into the protection of the United States would have been a geopolitical crisis on a level not seen since the height of the Cold War. Beijing would never have allowed the United States to gain a foothold on their doorstep; they've spent dump trucks full of money for decades now to try and finagle out of the U.S.'s policy of Pacific containment.

The US is already on their door step.

Like, it's literally surrounding their doorstep.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:56 pm

New haven america wrote:
Novus America wrote:
NATO never protected Hong Kong. It is geographically limited to protect territories only in the North Atlantic region.

Yeah North Atlantic countries like Turkey, Montenegro, Romania, The Baltics, Poland, the Czech Republic, etc...!

They are within the “North Atlantic area” as defined by article 6 of the NATO treaty.
The treaty clearly states what is included in the definition. And clearly Hong Kong was not.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:57 pm

At least 36 people were injured in unprecedented late-night violence at a Hong Kong railway station on Sunday, as a rampaging mob of men in white T-shirts attacked black-clad protesters and passengers indiscriminately.

No police officer was in sight as dozens of men, who witnesses suggested were triad gangsters, stormed into Yuen Long MTR station at around midnight by forcing open closed entrances. They hurled objects at protesters and travellers alike, and assaulted members of the public, including journalists.

Social feeds are filled with recordings of this violence.

Stunning video clips circulating online and played on television screens captured the chaos and terror as passengers scrambled for cover.
Among the injured was opposition lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting, who was bleeding from his face, and a female reporter with injuries on her arm.

Police officers, who arrived at the station at 11.15pm, when the mob was gone, were surrounded by dozens of angry residents and protesters.

There's claims the police allowed it to happen.

While, in some senses, this has become a form of background noise to the city, each time there's violence - and the police fired rubber bullets and tear gas at protestors over this weekend, there's seemingly no solution. The police, fairly, can't allow for laws to be broken but this necessarily leads to confrontation and thus renews the general anger.

I'm guessing this will last through the Summer and I'm hoping it doesn't lead to something bad in short time.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:01 pm

Bombadil wrote:At least 36 people were injured in unprecedented late-night violence at a Hong Kong railway station on Sunday, as a rampaging mob of men in white T-shirts attacked black-clad protesters and passengers indiscriminately.

No police officer was in sight as dozens of men, who witnesses suggested were triad gangsters, stormed into Yuen Long MTR station at around midnight by forcing open closed entrances. They hurled objects at protesters and travellers alike, and assaulted members of the public, including journalists.

Stunning video clips circulating online and played on television screens captured the chaos and terror as passengers scrambled for cover.
Among the injured was opposition lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting, who was bleeding from his face, and a female reporter with injuries on her arm.

Police officers, who arrived at the station at 11.15pm, when the mob was gone, were surrounded by dozens of angry residents and protesters.

While, in some senses, this has become a form of background noise to the city, each time there's violence - and the police fired rubber bullets and tear gas at protestors over this weekend, there's seemingly no solution. The police, fairly, can't allow for laws to be broken but this necessarily leads to confrontation and thus renews the general anger.

I'm guessing this will last through the Summer and I'm hoping it doesn't lead to something bad in short time.

Someone could actually die because of this. I have a bad feeling about this man
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Bombadil wrote:At least 36 people were injured in unprecedented late-night violence at a Hong Kong railway station on Sunday, as a rampaging mob of men in white T-shirts attacked black-clad protesters and passengers indiscriminately.

Well I guess hiring Triad gangsters to do the dirty work is better deniability over using PRC troops.
There is no depth too deep for Xi and his gangster state.
Last edited by Novus America on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:04 pm

Novus America wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

While I guess hiring Triad gangsters to do the dirty work is better deniability over using PRC troops.

I think Xi's sociopathy and tyrannical behavior is really understated and underestimated. This guy has the potential to be the Francisco Franco of our time
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Novus America wrote:
While I guess hiring Triad gangsters to do the dirty work is better deniability over using PRC troops.

I think Xi's sociopathy and tyrannical behavior is really understated and underestimated. This guy has the potential to be the Francisco Franco of our time

Franco was not remotely that bad.

Xi was severely mistreated as a child due to his father falling from power and grew up as a man who hid his long-term hatred for a lot of people if not humanity. Before taking power in 2012 he always pretended to be a lapdog of Jiang. However after taking power he swiftly purged Jiang's allies such as Zhou Yongkang. In a sense he is worse than even Kim Jong-un for he is basically a variant of Elliot Rodgers who has a lot more discipline. He does not like Jiang. He does not like academics or merchants. He does not like Mao or Deng (just see how he treats their family members such as Mao Xinyu and Wu Xiaohui). He does not even like his old friends who probably betrayed him when his family was disgraced. It is hard to imagine that he trusts or likes anyone.

Overall he is a highly unhappy person who received little formal education due to the Cultural Revolution who is probably sadistic and misanthropic due to how he was treated in the past. China has no shortage of people like him. However most are powerless.
Last edited by EastKekistan on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars
3. The rest of the Solar System (Solar System is Division 0)
4. 27 other divisions (Division 1-27)
An alliance of racially Northeast Asian countries friendly with White Nationalists, Zionists and nationalists in the Middle East and India.
We are an alliance of rich, safe and clean nations. Rapid scientific development, space exploration, modern cities, skyscrapers and high-speed trains..you will enjoy ultra-modern life if you come and visit us.
We were a Tier 7, Level 0, Type 8 civilization according to this index. Our old map News By 3173 we rule over the universe.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:09 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

Compared to protests in other countries one could argue it's been relatively civil. However they did discover the largest explosives haul ever in HK purportedly by someone affiliated with protestors. One issue is the old maxim that the truth is the first casualty of conflict but whatever the truth it's not a good sign.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:44 pm

EastKekistan wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Franco was not remotely that bad.

Xi was severely mistreated as a child due to his father falling from power and grew up as a man who hid his long-term hatred for a lot of people if not humanity. Before taking power in 2012 he always pretended to be a lapdog of Jiang. However after taking power he swiftly purged Jiang's allies such as Zhou Yongkang. In a sense he is worse than even Kim Jong-un for he is basically a variant of Elliot Rodgers who has a lot more discipline. He does not like Jiang. He does not like academics or merchants. He does not like Mao or Deng (just see how he treats their family members such as Mao Xinyu and Wu Xiaohui). He does not even like his old friends who probably betrayed him when his family was disgraced. It is hard to imagine that he trusts or likes anyone.

Overall he is a highly unhappy person who received little formal education due to the Cultural Revolution who is probably sadistic and misanthropic due to how he was treated in the past. China has no shortage of people like him. However most are powerless.

So he's basically the hitler of our time

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:06 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
EastKekistan wrote:Franco was not remotely that bad.

One too many is bad enough
Way too many though?
We dun goofed

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:39 am

It's. Happening. Again.

Fight back.

Bombadil wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Compared to protests in other countries one could argue it's been relatively civil. However they did discover the largest explosives haul ever in HK purportedly by someone affiliated with protestors. One issue is the old maxim that the truth is the first casualty of conflict but whatever the truth it's not a good sign.

"Evidence" planted by Communist moles to discredit the protests?

Rojava Free State wrote:
EastKekistan wrote:Franco was not remotely that bad.

Speaking of Hitler's next incarnation, where's Antifa when you need them? These protesters are dealing with actual fascist violence and intimidation from an actual fascist regime.

Crickets.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Esheaun Stroakuss
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Esheaun Stroakuss » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:43 am

New Bremerton wrote:Speaking of Hitler's next incarnation, where's Antifa when you need them? These protesters are dealing with actual fascist violence and intimidation from an actual fascist regime.

Crickets.

Fucking hypocrites.
For: Socialism, Democracy, LGBT+, BLM, Freedom of Speech, Marxist Theory, Atheism, Freedom of/from Religion, Universal Healthcare
Against: Religious Fundamentalism, Nationalism, Fascism/Nazism, Authoritarianism, TERFs, Tankies, Neoliberalism, Conservatism, Capitalism

Esheaun Stroakuss is leaderless.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 am

^

(Possible evidence planting and staged maneuvers)?

Is my MI6 hypothetical about to happen IRL?

Is there a IRL free trade talk between the UK and China too? Perhaps an MI6 fellow is being tortured in the Chinese west right now.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:46 am

New Bremerton wrote:

It's. Happening. Again.

Fight back.

Bombadil wrote:

"Evidence" planted by Communist moles to discredit the protests?

Rojava Free State wrote:

Speaking of Hitler's next incarnation, where's Antifa when you need them? These protesters are dealing with actual fascist violence and intimidation from an actual fascist regime.

Crickets.

Woah, you mean ANTIFA actually standing up to real threats and actual concentration camps vs sucker punching so dude and breaking some windows? :roll:

I mean that would take real conviction and courage. :(
Things ANTIFA knows nothing about.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:32 am

Bombadil wrote:

There are videos showing the police leave right before the white shirts arrived. Then the police barricaded themselves in their stations and only came out as the white shirts were leaving. Further pictures show the police ignoring them. It's pretty clear that the police at the very least knew what was going to happen and decided not to intervene. There's also been a sizable donation to the Hong Kong police by Beijing politicians, though that doesn't mean the police were behind it.

I'm really curious to see what the backlash will be. It's clear Beijing has no regard for international criticism, but this might well lead to more violence in Hong Kong. That might in turn lead to Beijing having an excuse to send in the army, which they no doubt are itching to do.

Also, what is this nonsense about Antifa? This is Hong Kong, not the US. What transparent whiny crap. Keep it to the Antifa thread.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

There are videos showing the police leave right before the white shirts arrived. Then the police barricaded themselves in their stations and only came out as the white shirts were leaving. Further pictures show the police ignoring them. It's pretty clear that the police at the very least knew what was going to happen and decided not to intervene. There's also been a sizable donation to the Hong Kong police by Beijing politicians, though that doesn't mean the police were behind it.

I'm really curious to see what the backlash will be. It's clear Beijing has no regard for international criticism, but this might well lead to more violence in Hong Kong. That might in turn lead to Beijing having an excuse to send in the army, which they no doubt are itching to do.

Also, what is this nonsense about Antifa? This is Hong Kong, not the US. What transparent whiny crap. Keep it to the Antifa thread.

I mean..

In what may well be a new low, even for an unapologetic fount of controversy like Junius Ho, the pro-Beijing lawmaker was caught on camera last night praising and shaking hands with white-clad men who took part in savagely beating protesters, passengers, and journalists inside the Yuen Long MTR station.

Videos from last night show Ho applauding the white shirt-wearing men — some of them carrying the same rods used to attack people inside the station — giving them a thumbs-up, and saying “thanks for your hard work!”

十年

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Communists suck. I support the rights of the people of Hong Kong. Fuck the Xi regime.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars
3. The rest of the Solar System (Solar System is Division 0)
4. 27 other divisions (Division 1-27)
An alliance of racially Northeast Asian countries friendly with White Nationalists, Zionists and nationalists in the Middle East and India.
We are an alliance of rich, safe and clean nations. Rapid scientific development, space exploration, modern cities, skyscrapers and high-speed trains..you will enjoy ultra-modern life if you come and visit us.
We were a Tier 7, Level 0, Type 8 civilization according to this index. Our old map News By 3173 we rule over the universe.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:50 am

Supposedly the PRC is mobilizing something something:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/PVJlboN

The PRC has put crack riot troops on notice and is massing them at the chinese mainland owned areas like train stations and garrison depots. They put out a statement saying Hong Kong can request PLA assistance if needed.

New York Times: China Hints It Could Send Troops to Quell Hong Kong Protests, if Requested
Last edited by Nakena on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 am

Nakena wrote:Supposedly the PRC is mobilizing something something:

The PRC has put crack riot troops on notice and is massing them at the chinese mainland owned areas like train stations and garrison depots. They put out a statement saying Hong Kong can request PLA assistance if needed.

New York Times: China Hints It Could Send Troops to Quell Hong Kong Protests, if Requested

Shit.

Shiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:10 am

Nakena wrote:Supposedly the PRC is mobilizing something something:

Are we looking to Tiananmen v.2?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General