NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In retrospect..

The UK was right to handover HK to China
16%
The UK should have kept HK
20%
The UK should have set up HK as an independent, democratic state
60%
Other
4%

Total votes : 1448

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:00 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Othelos wrote:It promised otherwise.

I would not be surprised if China honors the letter, if not the spirit of their agreements.

Considering that this is a clear example of the opposite, that's an interesting opinion.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:01 pm

Novus America wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
China have stated they will not tolerate any discussions of HK at the G20.

Over HK$5 million has been raised through a crowdfunding campaign to place front-page newspaper ads in international newspapers urging readers to pressure G20 leaders to act over the city’s extradition law crisis. The fundraiser achieved its original HK$3m goal within hours on Tuesday, as over 20,000 donors made contributions.

The organiser of the campaign said a frontpage space has already been booked with the Financial Times this Thursday, ahead of Friday’s G20 summit in Osaka, Japan. However, Beijing has said that it will not allow discussion of the Hong Kong issue during the meeting.

Link

We should tell the PRC to fuck off, and talk about what we want to.

Agreed. It's really overstepping its bounds if it thinks it can suppress international dissent.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:15 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Duhon wrote:
The Philippines always accepts hard workers!

I did have the idea of opening a scuba resort on Bohol.

Galloism wrote:You might like Texas.

A couple of years ago I was visiting some friends in Florida and I discovered Miami.. I could consider that, the problem with Texas is I really like living by the sea. I could probably visit Houston and see what it's like.

Ok, no memes, Miami is not a place you want to live. When we used to have state police conventions, Miami officers were popular because they had stories you could hardly believe.

If you must deal with Florida man, at least do west palm beach or Daytona area. Gainesville, Titusville, even Sarasota is better than Miami.

Also people in Miami drive like they’re blind and driving based on advice from someone that doesn’t speak the same language.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:18 pm

Full text of the ad to be placed in media in key G20 countries..

Dear New York Times Readers,

We are a group of concerned citizens who have been among the two million protesters marching on the streets of Hong Kong. This is our sincere plea for your help to defend our sovereignty and freedoms. Here is why you should care.

In 2019, the Hong Kong SAR Government proposed a bill that would allow the extradition of alleged “fugitives” from Hong Kong to China, a country that is notorious for its disrespect for the rule of law. The judicial system in China has a conviction rate of 99.9%, and prisoners are known to have suffered from severe violations of human rights.

Bankers, businessmen, tourists, and even ordinary Hongkongers could be arrested and sent to China for trials of alleged crimes and fabricated accusations. Hong Kong will cease to be a free economic zone, which has long served the world’s most prominent businesses.

This is why two million of us took to the streets. We were unarmed. We had only helmets, umbrellas and plastic wrap. In return, the police suppressed us by unleashing 150 tear gas canisters shot in close range, aiming batons at our heads, and firing rubber bullets and bean bag rounds. Numerous peaceful protesters were unjustifiably arrested, interrogated, and stigmatized as “rioters".

Hong Kong’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam has announced a suspension of the Extradition Bill which is NOT equivalent to withdrawal. We urge our government to agree to our three demands:

1. To completely withdraw the Extradition Bill.
2. To release all the arrested unconditionally and undertake not to prosecute any of the protestors.
3. To appoint an independent commission of inquiry to look into incidents of police brutality.

In view of the upcoming G20 summit and the meeting between Trump and Xi, we implore you to deliver our concerns and demands to your governments. We urge you to stand with us in preserving Hong Kong’s freedom and autonomy under Chinese rule.

Thank you.

Yours truly,
Hongkongers
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:30 am

Othelos wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:I would not be surprised if China honors the letter, if not the spirit of their agreements.

Considering that this is a clear example of the opposite, that's an interesting opinion.

How so? They are following the rule of law in putting the bill forward. They have not just unilaterally implemented it.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:15 pm

Duhon wrote:No more protests given Lam's decision to junk the extradition bill for now? That's good, if not quite prescient of the protesters.

There are still protests (or rather, you can say that it never really ended fully), although not to the scale of the 2 million march before. There are still contentious points from the government as a whole that keeps many protesters from being satisfied. Regarding the bill itself, the terms used by the government (including the Department of Justice, no less) implied that the bill is merely shelved, but can technically be resumed by scheduling the second reading in the legislature (which was the stage it was in before the protests exploded), while many protesters demand that it be pulled entirely, which would require the legislative process to start from the beginning if it were to be proposed again.

Beyond the bill itself and arguably more importantly, many protesters also demand that the government, in particular the police force to answer for the perceived brutality against protesters, as well as potential violation of civil rights and privacy (such as a rather high-profile case of them possibly having access to medical records of hospital emergency room, which is used to arrest protesters before they were discharged), of which the police does not seem to be interested to address for now.
Last edited by Tuthina on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:09 pm

Nike has to withdraw a co-branded pair of sneakers after the brand partner posts an image supporting HK on Instagram.

Link

Essentially you have global brands self-censoring individual views.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:10 pm

Bombadil wrote:Nike has to withdraw a co-branded pair of sneakers after the brand partner posts an image supporting HK on Instagram.

Link

But hey, at least nike supports the black football man in his struggle against racism and the Orange dude
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:15 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Nike has to withdraw a co-branded pair of sneakers after the brand partner posts an image supporting HK on Instagram.

Link

But hey, at least nike supports the black football man in his struggle against racism and the Orange dude

Yes, it is kind of a double standard in that they wanted to be lauded for their progressive values while technically punishing free speech.. burn them all.

十年

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Link

That’s pretty disturbing, not gonna lie. Love how PRC censorship is threatening economic freedom, as well.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Othelos wrote:Considering that this is a clear example of the opposite, that's an interesting opinion.

How so? They are following the rule of law in putting the bill forward. They have not just unilaterally implemented it.

I was talking about the 50 year agreement, not the bill in Hong Kong

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:56 pm

Link

I’m unitinically wearing Nike shoes at a restaurant right now

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:21 pm

Othelos wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

In that case it's more a legal loophole than direct violation, not that it really helps PRC's image.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:57 am

Othelos wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

How are they not following the letter, if not the spirit of the agreement? At the end of the period they can do what they want with Hong kong, and if what was posted in this 5hread is true, the SAR is going to be dissolved. They will not need a extradition bill, they can just go and directly arrest who ever they want.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:38 am

Othelos wrote:

Link

That’s pretty disturbing, not gonna lie. Love how PRC censorship is threatening economic freedom, as well.

Yes, the PRC will use its control of our corporations to crush freedom everywhere. Hong Kong is only the beginning.

We need to beginning rapidly phasing out our trade and business relations with the PRC or freedom will die. Worldwide.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:52 am

Bombadil wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Yes, it is kind of a double standard in that they wanted to be lauded for their progressive values while technically punishing free speech.. burn them all.

This is what I call cucking for fascists abroad while pretending to be against fascism at home simply to line their very deep pockets. Sanctions and tariffs will go a very long way toward toppling the increasingly totalitarian Communist fascist regime and holding Western multinationals to account for their shameless hypocrisy.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:37 am

Othelos wrote:

Link

It's not. Nike can easily take the moral side and oppose the PRC.
New Bremerton wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

This is what I call cucking for fascists abroad while pretending to be against fascism at home simply to line their very deep pockets. Sanctions and tariffs will go a very long way toward toppling the increasingly totalitarian Communist fascist regime and holding Western multinationals to account for their shameless hypocrisy.

China isn't communist
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:12 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
New Bremerton wrote:

China isn't communist

Right. China stopped being communist in 1978 and is now just Communist with a big C. Racist, fascist and imperialist would be more accurate terms to describe China nowadays.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:44 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Othelos wrote:That’s pretty disturbing, not gonna lie. Love how PRC censorship is threatening economic freedom, as well.

It's not. Nike can easily take the moral side and oppose the PRC.

And risk losing the chinese market? Unlikely.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:45 pm

Novus America wrote:
Othelos wrote:That’s pretty disturbing, not gonna lie. Love how PRC censorship is threatening economic freedom, as well.

Yes, the PRC will use its control of our corporations to crush freedom everywhere. Hong Kong is only the beginning.

We need to beginning rapidly phasing out our trade and business relations with the PRC or freedom will die. Worldwide.

I agree 100%, they are already busy using their investments for political gain, including in the EU.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:58 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Othelos wrote:I was talking about the 50 year agreement, not the bill in Hong Kong

How are they not following the letter, if not the spirit of the agreement? At the end of the period they can do what they want with Hong kong, and if what was posted in this 5hread is true, the SAR is going to be dissolved. They will not need a extradition bill, they can just go and directly arrest who ever they want.

They agreed that Hong Kong’s legal framework would remain separate until 2047. How is dismantling that following the “letter/spirit of the agreement”?

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:03 pm

Othelos wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:It's not. Nike can easily take the moral side and oppose the PRC.

And risk losing the chinese market? Unlikely.

Morals > Money
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:07 pm

I can't find a list but full page ads have been taken out today across most G20 media, from NYT to FT to The Australian and etc. All crowdfunded within a couple of hours. For a leadership-less protest the organisation has been pretty stellar.

十年

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:13 pm

double post
Last edited by Othelos on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:14 pm

Bombadil wrote:I can't find a list but full page ads have been taken out today across most G20 media, from NYT to FT to The Australian and etc. All crowdfunded within a couple of hours. For a leadership-less protest the organisation has been pretty stellar.

Excellent! I hope they succeed in bringing up the extradition bill at the G-20 summit.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General