NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In retrospect..

The UK was right to handover HK to China
16%
The UK should have kept HK
20%
The UK should have set up HK as an independent, democratic state
60%
Other
4%

Total votes : 1448

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 am

Duhon wrote:
The South Falls wrote:I would say that bigotry is not necessary, though achieving separation from China among the issues that are presented should come above all else, even considerations of bigotry.

It's not necessary, but it is a side effect, a lamentable one, given that those mainlanders would -- if they aren't apolitical or too fearful of China's response -- be more sympathetic to HK demands.

Cooperation is required and can be achieved even with bigotry from some. Reconciliation just has to come afterwards.
Tuthina wrote:
The South Falls wrote:There has to be some sort of at least partial separation. There's a difference between "really close friends" and "joined at the hip", which is the case.

In the Sinosphere (or even East Asia as a whole), the two are one in the same, so I won't have high hopes of that actually being achievable. There are a lot of dealings between mainland and Hong Kong, many of which is vital to Hong Kong merchants, if not the residents of the city as a whole, which means it is quite unlikely that it won't bleed over like how it happened in RL.

The protestors should petition for a partially autonomous Hong Kong. Deals can still be pursued, just with less legal interference from the PRC.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:28 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:If the protest did not stop... then sooner or later, we will have casualties

When was the last time someone died during mass demonstrations in Hong Kong IM?

No one died because the forces of law and order prevailed before it could spread and escalate

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:28 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:...who is dead IM?

If the protest did not stop... then sooner or later, we will have casualties

and all for what MIGHT happen in 2047 or some unspecified point in the distant future

"Will".

What makes you think Hong Kong is so special, that a crackdown turning it into just another prosperous Chinese city devoid of protest and mummified in social credit before or after 2047 is unfathomable for you?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:28 am

Duhon wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
If the protest did not stop... then sooner or later, we will have casualties

and all for what MIGHT happen in 2047 or some unspecified point in the distant future

"Will".

What makes you think Hong Kong is so special, that a crackdown turning it into just another prosperous Chinese city devoid of protest and mummified in social credit before or after 2047 is unfathomable for you?

because Hong Kong is a cash cow

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:28 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:When was the last time someone died during mass demonstrations in Hong Kong IM?

No one died because the forces of law and order prevailed before it could spread and escalate

So you are talking nonsense. Good to know.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

So you are talking nonsense. Good to know.

You just now realized that?

jk, jk
All shall tremble before me

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Duhon wrote:
"Will".

So is Shanghai. Does Shanghai enjoy the same sort of leeway as Hong Kong?

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 am

Hong Kong will look like the rest of China by 2047 if no action is taken.

Dissent - crushed

Protestors - executed on trumped-up charges

Pollution - yes

Social credit - yep
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:So you are talking nonsense. Good to know.

You just now realized that?

jk, jk

:p
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:32 am

The South Falls wrote:
Duhon wrote:
It's not necessary, but it is a side effect, a lamentable one, given that those mainlanders would -- if they aren't apolitical or too fearful of China's response -- be more sympathetic to HK demands.

Cooperation is required and can be achieved even with bigotry from some. Reconciliation just has to come afterwards.
Tuthina wrote:In the Sinosphere (or even East Asia as a whole), the two are one in the same, so I won't have high hopes of that actually being achievable. There are a lot of dealings between mainland and Hong Kong, many of which is vital to Hong Kong merchants, if not the residents of the city as a whole, which means it is quite unlikely that it won't bleed over like how it happened in RL.

The protestors should petition for a partially autonomous Hong Kong. Deals can still be pursued, just with less legal interference from the PRC.

Not that such a petition would be considered, but the bigger issue is that on the paper, Hong Kong is very autonomous all things considered, with only issues like defence and some foreign policies being something explicitly stated to be under the purview of PRC - although difference between the legal systems of the two places have resulted in some disputes that arguably flamed the whole HK-PRC conflict in the first place.

The issue is that there are no shortage of pure-blood (or as much as it could be, given the city's immigrant past) HKers who are perfectly willing to cater to PRC's demands, or what they consider to be pleasing to them, that they can push through legally while keeping the theoretical autonomy of Hong Kong - it's the HK government's own decision to be closer to PRC, after all. That is, as I mentioned before, not something that has an easy answer to.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:33 am

This is a watershed moment for Hong Kong. If China wins, Hong Kong will forever be under their thumb.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 am

The South Falls wrote:This is a watershed moment for Hong Kong. If China wins, Hong Kong will forever be under their thumb.

This, pretty much.

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:35 am

The South Falls wrote:This is a watershed moment for Hong Kong. If China wins, Hong Kong will forever be under their thumb.

Not really, no. It will probably be more a question of how much damage, literal or reputation-wise, protesters can inflict on the law enforcement and government before the demonstration is ended. From the look of it, though, probably not a lot.
Call me Reno.

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:35 am

"When".

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 am

Tuthina wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Cooperation is required and can be achieved even with bigotry from some. Reconciliation just has to come afterwards.

Not that such a petition would be considered, but the bigger issue is that on the paper, Hong Kong is very autonomous all things considered, with only issues like defence and some foreign policies being something explicitly stated to be under the purview of PRC - although difference between the legal systems of the two places have resulted in some disputes that arguably flamed the whole HK-PRC conflict in the first place.

The issue is that there are no shortage of pure-blood (or as much as it could be, given the city's immigrant past) HKers who are perfectly willing to cater to PRC's demands, or what they consider to be pleasing to them, that they can push through legally while keeping the theoretical autonomy of Hong Kong - it's the HK government's own decision to be closer to PRC, after all. That is, as I mentioned before, not something that has an easy answer to.

Those PRCers have kids, though. There is no shortage of people raised as Hong Kongers, that may long for sovereignty. Conversely, there may be those raised by their parents. It looks bleak, it looks bleak.

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:41 am

The South Falls wrote:
Tuthina wrote:Not that such a petition would be considered, but the bigger issue is that on the paper, Hong Kong is very autonomous all things considered, with only issues like defence and some foreign policies being something explicitly stated to be under the purview of PRC - although difference between the legal systems of the two places have resulted in some disputes that arguably flamed the whole HK-PRC conflict in the first place.

Those PRCers have kids, though. There is no shortage of people raised as Hong Kongers, that may long for sovereignty. Conversely, there may be those raised by their parents. It looks bleak, it looks bleak.

They do - at least 60% of people in Hong Kong are, according to the last census. However, the line between "(mainland) Chinese born in Hong Kong" and "Hong Konger" is a blurry one, if one exists at all, in no small parts due to the lack of distinct identity of the place. Even then, whether it transforms into a desire for independence and sovereignty is questionable, given that there are rampant localism, even in the Han part of PRC which does not really translate to anything remotely against the central government.
Call me Reno.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:47 am

Duhon wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Shanghai's fine

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:48 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:Hong Kong and Macau should have been given to the Republic of China just to piss of the PRC.

The PRC views Taiwan as a rebellious province, so doing that would have meant Hong Kong and Macau would probably have been immediately invaded and annexed.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Duhon wrote:

Shanghai's fine

In which ways is it "fine"? Be specific.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:50 am

Duhon wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Shanghai's fine

They have money and the CCP says it's fine.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 am

Tuthina wrote:

Not really, no. It will probably be more a question of how much damage, literal or reputation-wise, protesters can inflict on the law enforcement and government before the demonstration is ended. From the look of it, though, probably not a lot.

Let's hope it doesn't end like Tiananmen.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:52 am

Duhon wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Shanghai's fine

people are not disappearing off the streets in large numbers

there are no concentration camps

people can go to work and come home, there is a bright economic future for the place, its a center of commerce

there is relative security in the streets

no one living there organically would go... "Oh wow this place is a totalitarian hellhole" unless they intentionally went about trying to cross lines; in other words, nothing like a random Stalinist purge would occur (but if you went looking for one by stirring up trouble, then that's something else)

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:54 am

Duhon wrote:

"When".

It'll be negotiations or artillery.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:56 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Duhon wrote:

people are not disappearing off the streets in large numbers

there are no concentration camps

people can go to work and come home, there is a bright economic future for the place, its a center of commerce

there is relative security in the streets

no one living there organically would go... "Oh wow this place is a totalitarian hellhole" unless they intentionally went about trying to cross lines; in other words, nothing like a random Stalinist purge would occur (but if you went looking for one by stirring up trouble, then that's something else)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-45806904

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:57 am

The South Falls wrote:
Tuthina wrote:Not really, no. It will probably be more a question of how much damage, literal or reputation-wise, protesters can inflict on the law enforcement and government before the demonstration is ended. From the look of it, though, probably not a lot.

Let's hope it doesn't end like Tiananmen.

It most probably won't. I doubt even the HK equivalent of SWAT would need to be deployed to disperse the protesters. Hell, it seems to be almost done and the police didn't even get the water cannons online.
Last edited by Tuthina on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Call me Reno.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General