NATION

PASSWORD

Was German Reunification a Mistake?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was German reunification, as it happened, a mistake?

Yes, Germany should never have been reunified
17%
Sort of, because it was done wrong and/or too quickly
26%
No
57%

Total votes : 180

Germanyt
Secretary

Founded: Jan 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Germanyt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:20 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Germanyt wrote:Just politely ask the civilians to leave their homes and move to crowded Berlin slums? Just politely request it?

And now you are strawmanning. There isn't just a binary option of either raping and murdering or pussyfooting around people. :roll:

I know youre not advocating murder and rape. Sorry if I made it seem like that. But the reality is that people suffered because the Soviet Union wanted revenge on average Germans and they needed justification to steal land from Poland so they massacred the civilians in the east. Also, the allies occupied Germany and denazified it and rebuilt into a liberal nation for several decades. Dismembering Germany isn't what made Germany liberal. Denazification and Allied occupation is what did it.
Metaphysics: Objective Reality
Epistemology: Reason
Ethics: Rational Egoism
Politics: Capitalism
mostly straight

Mojave Confederation
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave Confederation » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:26 am

North German Realm wrote:
Mojave Confederation wrote:So, like what happened irl?

Is this specifically about the Treaty of Versailles or the Post-war treaties in general? I have responses for both scenarios, but would like not to waste my time for all of it if the topic is specifically Versailles.

Versailles of course. I don't think Trianon and Sevres affect Germany too much.
Welcome to The Platinum Chip of The Wasteland, enjoy your stay!

San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby San Carlos Islands » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:28 am

Germany should of never unified in the first place.
Foreign Affairs Director for the League of Conservative Nations

WA Ambassador: Trinity Ryan
WA Information: wa.mission.gov.sci

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:29 am

Mojave Confederation wrote:
North German Realm wrote:Is this specifically about the Treaty of Versailles or the Post-war treaties in general? I have responses for both scenarios, but would like not to waste my time for all of it if the topic is specifically Versailles.

Versailles of course. I don't think Trianon and Sevres affect Germany too much.

Hm. In that case, the military clauses were completely unjustified (though, explainable given the "need" for demilitarization), the occupation clauses were out of norm (especially considering most forms of occupation were either limited to "as long as it takes for you to pay reparations" and a short period of time. Similarly, Germany being forced to admit responsibility (rather than concede defeat, which was and remains the norm) was also out of ordinary. German citizens losing the right to intellectual and private property is also up there.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Mojave Confederation
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave Confederation » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:44 am

Mojave Confederation wrote:Versailles of course. I don't think Trianon and Sevres affect Germany too much.

Hm. In that case, the military clauses were completely unjustified (though, explainable given the "need" for demilitarization), the occupation clauses were out of norm (especially considering most forms of occupation were either limited to "as long as it takes for you to pay reparations" and a short period of time. Similarly, Germany being forced to admit responsibility (rather than concede defeat, which was and remains the norm) was also out of ordinary. German citizens losing the right to intellectual and private property is also up there.

Wait, why were the military clauses unjustified? I get the rest, but this?

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:54 am

San Carlos Islands wrote:Germany should of never unified in the first place.

Northern Germany should have merged with Netherlands in 1815. Southern Germany to Habsburg *nods*
The Blaatschapen should resign

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:59 am

North German Realm wrote:Hm. In that case, the military clauses were completely unjustified (though, explainable given the "need" for demilitarization), the occupation clauses were out of norm (especially considering most forms of occupation were either limited to "as long as it takes for you to pay reparations" and a short period of time. Similarly, Germany being forced to admit responsibility (rather than concede defeat, which was and remains the norm) was also out of ordinary. German citizens losing the right to intellectual and private property is also up there.

Wait, why were the military clauses unjustified? I get the rest, but this?

For starters, because it essentially put them at the risk of invasion by any rogue nation (including but not limited to the Soviet Union) and incapable of dealing with any form of violent unrest at home. Then again, that was the intention in the first place
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Eglaecia
Diplomat

Founded: May 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eglaecia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:06 am

Nakena wrote:
Eglaecia wrote:Germany should've never been reunified. It is in Europe's interests that Germany is neutered. It should've been divided much more than it was.

I thought we were past such edgynesses. Not that you'd want to add anything to the monument of your sins, don't you?

What are you talking about? The unified Germany was the cause of so much damage to Europe. Keeping it divided was the best option for the long-term stability of Europe and the world.
Catholique, Intégraliste, Distributiste | Catechism of Pope St. Pius X | Rerum Novarum | On Integralism
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church."
Great British Unionist and Celtic Cultural Revivalist
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be."

Eglaecia
Diplomat

Founded: May 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eglaecia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:07 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
San Carlos Islands wrote:Germany should of never unified in the first place.

Northern Germany should have merged with Netherlands in 1815. Southern Germany to Habsburg *nods*

Mmmm I don't think the Habsburgs have a legitimate claim over Bavaria, however Bavaria having become a part of the Habsburg empire and remaining under the control of the House of Wittelsbach would've been good.
Catholique, Intégraliste, Distributiste | Catechism of Pope St. Pius X | Rerum Novarum | On Integralism
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church."
Great British Unionist and Celtic Cultural Revivalist
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be."

Definitely Not Trumptonium
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Definitely Not Trumptonium » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:07 am

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:
There's a bit of irony in mentioning being 'civilized' when your argument rests on turning people's lives upside down because Hans Owned This Land 100 Years Ago.

OR because the Poles owned that land over 70 years ago (a territory that the Polish State still has claims on, though I'm probably wrong about that)

Poland has no claims on Kresy, they were renounced in 1946.

And yes, it is completely uncivilised. You expect tens of millions of people to start learning a new language, live under different laws and be governed by people different to them for no reason whatsoever.
I sexually identify as Michael Jackson and my preferred pronouns are He / Hee!

Thanatttynia
Senator

Founded: Nov 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:11 am

A mistake for France, UK, Russia perhaps. All countries would have benefited from a weaker Germany. Germany itself is the pre-eminent power in Europe now because it's so much larger and more developed than any other European country. This wouldn't have been the case for either divided-Germany, particularly not the East.

Investment in the East has held the West back in the same way that investment in sustainable development holds unsustainable investment back... i.e. in the short term yes, in the long term no. Obviously there are socio-economic problems with melding two countries like that together again, and deeper cultural ones. I don't really know enough about domestic German politics to say whether reunification is untenable over this century or not.
Syng I wolde, butt, alas! decendunt prospera grata.

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:11 am

North German Realm wrote:OR because the Poles owned that land over 70 years ago (a territory that the Polish State still has claims on, though I'm probably wrong about that)

Poland has no claims on Kresy, they were renounced in 1946.

And yes, it is completely uncivilised. You expect tens of millions of people to start learning a new language, live under different laws and be governed by people different to them for no reason whatsoever.

Fair enough. I thought Poland still held a claim over Kresy in 1990s. If they didn't, then nevermind all that.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:16 am

Nakena wrote:I agree on the economic part.

However, East Germans keep being looked down upon by their West German brethen. It was more like an annexation rather than an unificaton, with some similarities to the reconstruction.

I find it very questionable that they are now being blamed for their voting preferences. Much like west europeans like to attack other east europeans over the matter. For many years people have been worked to bring the divided continent together again, it is very arrogant by how their opinions, views and legitimate concerns are being dismissed as evil and backwards.

Indeed. It's rather sad that East Germans have had to endure so much bigotry and disdain.

It's not their fault they were kept under the oppressive yoke of the USSR for over 70 years.

And to the OP: no, reunification was not a mistake.

The only mistake we made was not kicking Russia the fuck out of Eastern Europe before they got nukes.
Last edited by Nova Cyberia on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:25 am

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Nakena wrote:I agree on the economic part.

However, East Germans keep being looked down upon by their West German brethen. It was more like an annexation rather than an unificaton, with some similarities to the reconstruction.

I find it very questionable that they are now being blamed for their voting preferences. Much like west europeans like to attack other east europeans over the matter. For many years people have been worked to bring the divided continent together again, it is very arrogant by how their opinions, views and legitimate concerns are being dismissed as evil and backwards.

Indeed. It's rather sad that West Germans have had to endure so much bigotry and disdain.

It's not their fault they were kept under the oppressive yoke of the USSR for over 70 years.

Um...

Nakena wrote:East Germans
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:35 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Indeed. It's rather sad that West Germans have had to endure so much bigotry and disdain.

Um...

Nakena wrote:East Germans

whoops
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Mojave Confederation
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave Confederation » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Eglaecia wrote:
Nakena wrote:
I thought we were past such edgynesses. Not that you'd want to add anything to the monument of your sins, don't you?

What are you talking about? The unified Germany was the cause of so much damage to Europe. Keeping it divided was the best option for the long-term stability of Europe and the world.

So does unified France! and let's not mention unified Great Britain.

Mojave Confederation
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave Confederation » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:52 pm

North German Realm wrote:Whether or not Poland would forcefully expel tens of millions of people after getting Kresy and thus commit ethnic cleansing is on Poland, no? Poland, as a civilized member-state of a modern order could simply not do that if they wanted to.

There's a bit of irony in mentioning being 'civilized' when your argument rests on turning people's lives upside down because Hans Owned This Land 100 Years Ago.

Oh let's not go that route, lest you want to invite the JIDF

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:56 pm

Eglaecia wrote:What are you talking about? The unified Germany was the cause of so much damage to Europe. Keeping it divided was the best option for the long-term stability of Europe and the world.

So does unified France! and let's not mention unified Great Britain.

Unified Spain, unified Russia.

I sense a theme here.
The Blaatschapen should resign

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Mojave Confederation wrote:So does unified France! and let's not mention unified Great Britain.

Unified Spain, unified Russia.

I sense a theme here.

Unified Netherlands was the bigger thread. Return The Netherlands to the Habsburg!
Last edited by North German Realm on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm down with unifying all of the Germanic countries, because let's be obvious, one Germanic group would come to dominate it.

The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:I'm down with unifying all of the Germanic countries, because let's be obvious, one Germanic group would come to dominate it.

That's a smaller, more centralized EU.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:20 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:I'm down with unifying all of the Germanic countries, because let's be obvious, one Germanic group would come to dominate it.

That's a smaller, more centralized EU.

A unified Germanic nation is Greater Anglo-America.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
The South Falls wrote:That's a smaller, more centralized EU.

No please. I'm not trying to get colonized.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:40 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

No please. I'm not trying to get colonized.

>tfw people don't realize that the largest and most influential Germanic language-speaking city in the world is New York City.

>tfw Anglo-Saxons are more adept at rallying all Germanics on their side than Prussians are
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Kvatchdom
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Kvatchdom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Germany should never have been created, so having it split in two is a good compromise to me.
boo
Left-wing nationalist, socialist, souverainist and anti-American. From the River to the Sea.
Equality, Fatherland, Socialism
I am not available on the weekends

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General