NATION

PASSWORD

What age should children/teens be given their first phones?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

At what age do you think people should be given their first phones?

2%
4-6
1%
7-9
6%
10-12
31%
13-15
40%
16-18
14%
>18
5%

Total votes : 186

The Democratic Nation of Unovia
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic Nation of Unovia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:01 am

My view is that by Highschool (About age 14), a student should get their first phone. They should be sat down with their parents to lay down the basic ground rules.
Minister of Operations of New World Union! TG me for Regional Information!
As a Map Maker, I help many Regions Current Region assisting: NextGen Roleplay.
If you want my assistance with Real World Maps, please TG me.
Loyal to New World Union

Romanian-Slavia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Romanian-Slavia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:01 am

Aeritai wrote:
Romanian-Slavia wrote:A Nokia or a Smartphone at 12-13

Smartphone

I agree
Augustus I the Great, The Father of the Empire wrote:The worst fact about our world is that the most powerful country in the world is a libertarian-looking oligarchy

Long Live to the Emperor!

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:02 am

Romanian-Slavia wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:Same. Except from 6-8 and I am still fine.

I'm sorry for ya

I always feel sorry for myself. I think that’s all the sorry I need. :p
Last edited by Bluelight-R006 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Romanian-Slavia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Romanian-Slavia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:05 am

The Democratic Nation of Unovia wrote:My view is that by Highschool (About age 14), a student should get their first phone. They should be sat down with their parents to lay down the basic ground rules.

WTF? What do you mean?
Augustus I the Great, The Father of the Empire wrote:The worst fact about our world is that the most powerful country in the world is a libertarian-looking oligarchy

Romanian-Slavia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Romanian-Slavia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:11 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:
Romanian-Slavia wrote:
I'm sorry for ya

I always feel sorry for myself. I think that’s all the sorry I need. :p

If so, I'll withdraw my sorry

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:15 am

Romanian-Slavia wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:I always feel sorry for myself. I think that’s all the sorry I need. :p

If so, I'll withdraw my sorry

Go ahead. :)
Aeritai wrote:I'll say between 12-13 years of age as long as parents teach them about the dangers of the internet and scam calls.

Another thing to consider. 12-13 years olds are still learning and are very much prone to being a victim of internet scams. I know that because I myself am one — I’ve always known that at this age, I’m still a foolish boy to fall into a trap :/

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:
Romanian-Slavia wrote:If so, I'll withdraw my sorry

Aeritai wrote:I'll say between 12-13 years of age as long as parents teach them about the dangers of the internet and scam calls.

Another thing to consider. 12-13 years olds are still learning and are very much prone to being a victim of internet scams. I know that because I myself am one — I’ve always known that at this age, I’m still a foolish boy to fall into a trap :/

But have you?
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Romanian-Slavia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Romanian-Slavia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:20 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:
Romanian-Slavia wrote:If so, I'll withdraw my sorry

Fine :)))
Bluelight-R006 wrote:

I don't think that is very hard to teach your child that if (s)he's seeing an ad he is not a millionaire or that is not ok to talk with strangers etc.

Aaaaaa
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Aaaaaa » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:20 am

I propose all kids can have a phone as early as they want, but it has to be a 1940's field telephone you carry around on your back.
Last edited by Aaaaaa on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let thy freedom be a beacon of independence, a conduit of good deeds, and a giving of praise to the Lord."
Click here for the Aaaaaan Conflict Map (Updated January 2024)
=== AAAAAA ===
Progressively ruining NationStates since December 2012™ (Add 4000+ posts)

Aaaaaa (pronounced AH-AY-UH)
Aaaaaan News Ticker (Updated August 8th 2023)
AURNVONS LAUNCH ATTACKS ON SPICUEIL AGAIN • BOMBSHELL REPORT ALLEGES LIEVUE TROOPS DELIBERATELY KILLING CIVILIANS • BEATINNEN SAYS ACTIVE REBELLION STANDS AT "WELL OVER 3000 ARMED MEN & WOMEN" • LIEVUE MEDIA CLAIM CEASEFIRE AGREEMENT IS IN DEVELOPMENT

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:21 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:Go ahead. :)

But have you?

Nope. There are some scams that are quite common that I know are fake... like, ‘You’ve won a free phone...’ but I’ve never been exposed to other scams.
Last edited by Bluelight-R006 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:22 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:But have you?

Nope. There are some scams that are quite common that I know are fake... like, ‘You’ve won a free phone...’ but I’ve never been exposed to other scams.

I....actually have won a free phone in the past.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:23 am

Romanian-Slavia wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:Another thing to consider. 12-13 years olds are still learning and are very much prone to being a victim of internet scams. I know that because I myself am one — I’ve always known that at this age, I’m still a foolish boy to fall into a trap :/

I don't think that is very hard to teach your child that if (s)he's seeing an ad he is not a millionaire or that is not ok to talk with strangers etc.

Those are simple scams... but what if it’s scams with callers who can scam you the second you answer a call with them? Like charging you for that call... etc. I’ve fallen into that trap before but my parents taught me they were scams.
Last edited by Bluelight-R006 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:23 am

Aaaaaa wrote:I propose all kids can have a phone as early as they want, but it has to be a 1940's field telephone you carry around on your back.

That is a great idea.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Romanian-Slavia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Romanian-Slavia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:25 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:Nope. There are some scams that are quite common that I know are fake... like, ‘You’ve won a free phone...’ but I’ve never been exposed to other scams.

I....actually have won a free phone in the past.

An ad told me thta i'll win a 1 000 000 Euros, but i won a trojan

Romanian-Slavia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Romanian-Slavia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:
Romanian-Slavia wrote:

Those are simple scams... but what if it’s scams with callers who can scam you the second you answer a call with them? Like charging you for that call... etc. I’ve fallen into that trap before but my parents taught me they were scams.

Everyone can fall in that trap
Last edited by Romanian-Slavia on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 am

Romanian-Slavia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I....actually have won a free phone in the past.

Did you try to sell the trojan? Some of them are quite valuable on the market, they are generally large, well-built and good at fighting. Plus, active service in the trojan army has made them good at following orders, and many have been raised with the idea of sacrifice for the greater good instilled in them. A trojan would make a very valuable slave.

Aaaaaa
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Aaaaaa » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 am

Romanian-Slavia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I....actually have won a free phone in the past.

Be happy you won something!
"Let thy freedom be a beacon of independence, a conduit of good deeds, and a giving of praise to the Lord."
Click here for the Aaaaaan Conflict Map (Updated January 2024)
=== AAAAAA ===
Progressively ruining NationStates since December 2012™ (Add 4000+ posts)

Aaaaaa (pronounced AH-AY-UH)
Aaaaaan News Ticker (Updated August 8th 2023)
AURNVONS LAUNCH ATTACKS ON SPICUEIL AGAIN • BOMBSHELL REPORT ALLEGES LIEVUE TROOPS DELIBERATELY KILLING CIVILIANS • BEATINNEN SAYS ACTIVE REBELLION STANDS AT "WELL OVER 3000 ARMED MEN & WOMEN" • LIEVUE MEDIA CLAIM CEASEFIRE AGREEMENT IS IN DEVELOPMENT

Romanian-Slavia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Romanian-Slavia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 am

Aaaaaa wrote:
Romanian-Slavia wrote:An ad told me thta i'll win a 1 000 000 Euros, but i won a trojan

Be happy you won something!

Yeah : ))))

Romanian-Slavia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Romanian-Slavia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:35 am

Romanian-Slavia wrote:An ad told me thta i'll win a 1 000 000 Euros, but i won a trojan

Did you try to sell the trojan? Some of them are quite valuable on the market, they are generally large, well-built and good at fighting. Plus, active service in the trojan army has made them good at following orders, and many have been raised with the idea of sacrifice for the greater good instilled in them. A trojan would make a very valuable slave.

In this case I was the slave

Valehart
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 13, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Valehart » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:38 am

Anything less than or near pre-pubescent age. It kinda urks me whenever I see toddlers watch these lame YouTubers on their iPads with their thick plastic iPad cases, why would you want them an iPhone I don’t know
Last edited by Valehart on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
VALEHART >> VISIT TODAY << FACTBOOK UPVOTES ARE APPRECIATED : - )

A VENUSIAN CLOUD CITY-STATE // "WHILE EARTH CRUMBLED, VENUS ENDURED! VENTURE ON, VALEHART!" — ANONYMOUS
VALEHART: "If Cyberpunk 2077 and The Expanse had a baby" // "Essentially a libertarian Singapore / Hong Kong but on Venus." // "NEWS.V.OS" // "Spotify Playlist" // "Original Art" //

Romanian-Slavia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Romanian-Slavia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:41 am

Valehart wrote:Anything less than or near pre-pubescent age. It kinda urks me whenever I see toddlers watch these lame YouTubers on their iPads with their thick plastic iPad cases

Let them watch lame youtubers, lol, even they're really CRINGE, actually is part of actual generation's childhood, you can't change that

Melondonia
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 13, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Melondonia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:10 am

Being a teenager, maybe I'm not the best person to ask regarding parenting advice, but here's my story with getting a phone at an early age.

I was actually forced to have a smartphone while I was still in Middle School. My parents wanted to be able to check up with me any time, for a plethora of reasons. Whether they were working late, or asking me to do chores while they were out, or telling whether I could set-up or cancel an appointment with a friend. First I got a hand-me-down, but it was so old and slow that it could only run a handful of games (yeah, other kids might've been interested in searching up naughty things - I would rather play my bakery simulator game), and the only people I would ever text using my phone were my parents. Eventually, however, I won a smartphone in Mathematics competition. No, really.

Let me tell you, that was more of a curse than a blessing. I've always had a bit of an addictive personality and having a smartphone only gave me more freedom than was probably responsible. My grades fell somewhat - partially due to the fact I lived in a different country at the time, but more so because I was more prone to procrastinating, and would often stay up late finishing my assignments since I had wasted the day playing games on my phone. I pulled a lot more all-nighters than acceptable for a jr. high student (which, honestly, is zero) to study for exams since my phone would often pull me from my studies. Since, then, I think I've gotten a little better with technology usage - I still use my phone relatively often, but now it's just to listen to music while I study, exercise or do the dishes. My grades have also gone back up to about a 97% average. Good thing I went through my phone-addicted phase in middle school, I suppose - it would be worse if owning one caused me to screw up my high school average.

But now I've gone off on a tangent! Let me go back to answering the original question. I would probably suggest giving your teen a phone when they start high school - not middle school - or if they've proven they're mature - for example, by doing well in their studies while maintaining a part-time job for at least half a year (some jobs might actually require a student to have a phone, anyway).

tl;dr: When they start high school (14-16) or otherwise prove their maturity (having a part-time job in middle school).
Last edited by Melondonia on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
My NS Stats are all canon, for better or worse

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:00 am

As soon as they're born. We can even set up the toddlers with there own special social media site called Babo.

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:04 am

*Shrug* Depends on how mature they are, and it's pretty dumb to measure maturity by age (when we're talking about responsibilities and privileges like phones. I am not advocating giving children access to nukes because they're very mature or something like that). Hell, I've seen plenty of grown-ass adults who aren't mature enough to own a phone. The opposite is also true: I have seen plenty of children who are mature enough to own a phone. It all comes down to the individual imo.
العرب الأحرار
I don't use NS Stats, for they are against the will of Liberty and God.

News
Open to TGs

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:45 am

14 or 15 and only conditionally. The need for kids to have cell phones is drastically overstated. The "in case of emergencies" thing is mostly bullshit since first world kids are rarely going to find themselves in an emergency where an adult isn't already nearby. Also, kids need a sense of independence and responsibility which are diminished by having mommy and daddy only a phone call away.

Above all, though, they shouldn't have access to their cell phones at home, especially during dinner or other family activities.
Last edited by Scomagia on Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insert trite farewell here

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General