NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XVI: Raising the Barr

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:25 pm

What the knitting community has started..

Reddit has 'quarantined'The_Donald..

Reddit has taken steps to “quarantine” the largest pro-Donald Trump community on its site, The_Donald, due to “repeated rule-breaking behavior” and, in recent days, “encouragement of violence towards police officers and public officials in Oregon”.

Visitors to the The_Donald message board, which describes itself as “a never-ending rally dedicated to the 45th President of the United States, Donald J Trump” and has more than 750,000 subscribers, will be greeted with a message about the reasons for the quarantine before they can click through to the site. The quarantine also restricts the message board, known as a subreddit, from generating revenue and limits its popular posts from reaching an audience in other parts of Reddit.

“We are sensitive to what could be considered political speech, however, recent behaviors including threats against the police and public figures is content that is prohibited by our violence policy,” a company spokeswoman said in a statement. “As a result, we have actioned individual users and quarantined the subreddit.”
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Bombadil wrote:What the knitting community has started..

Reddit has taken steps to “quarantine” the largest pro-Donald Trump community on its site, The_Donald, due to “repeated rule-breaking behavior” and, in recent days, “encouragement of violence towards police officers and public officials in Oregon”.

Visitors to the The_Donald message board, which describes itself as “a never-ending rally dedicated to the 45th President of the United States, Donald J Trump” and has more than 750,000 subscribers, will be greeted with a message about the reasons for the quarantine before they can click through to the site. The quarantine also restricts the message board, known as a subreddit, from generating revenue and limits its popular posts from reaching an audience in other parts of Reddit.

“We are sensitive to what could be considered political speech, however, recent behaviors including threats against the police and public figures is content that is prohibited by our violence policy,” a company spokeswoman said in a statement. “As a result, we have actioned individual users and quarantined the subreddit.”

That subreddit is a cesspool dedicated to the dissemination of false information and rhetoric that promotes violence. Good fucking riddance.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:31 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

That subreddit is a cesspool dedicated to the dissemination of false information and rhetoric that promotes violence. Good fucking riddance.

Oh the outcry of conspiracy there'll be if and when Trump loses in 2020, that tech companies and the deep state combined to illegally oust him from office. See how they shut down free speech to achieve their evil ends of turning America into.. whatever it is they're turning it into.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:29 pm

China..

“China’s economy is going down the tubes – they want to make a deal. You have another $325bn that I haven’t taxed yet – it’s ripe for taxing, for putting tariffs on,”

Vietnam

Trump also hinted he might impose tariffs on Vietnam, describing the country as “the single worst abuser of everybody. A lot of companies are moving to Vietnam, but Vietnam takes advantage of us even worse than China. So there’s a very interesting situation going on there,”

Germany

“So Germany is paying Russia billions and billions of dollars for energy, okay,” he said. “So they are giving Russia billions of dollars yet we are supposed to protect Germany and Germany is delinquent! Okay?”

Japan

“If Japan is attacked, we will fight World War III. We will go in and protect them with our lives and with our treasure,” he said. “But if we’re attacked, Japan doesn’t have to help us. They can watch it on a Sony television.”

Great way to head off to the G20.. but what about Russia..?

“I’ll have a very good conversation with him [Putin],” Trump told reporters. “What I say to him is none of your business.”

十年

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:34 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

Oh the outcry of conspiracy there'll be if and when Trump loses in 2020, that tech companies and the deep state combined to illegally oust him from office. See how they shut down free speech to achieve their evil ends of turning America into.. whatever it is they're turning it into.

Well, to be fair, we have strong reason to believe that Google, at least, is gonna be doing some shady conspiracy shit. Hell, there's good reason to believe they already are.

Though it's likely that some of their information suppression will be (or maybe already is) directed against pro-trust-busting Democrats too.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:34 pm

I doubt theres a direct connection but it seems to be part of a bigger trend.

Bombadil wrote:Reddit has 'quarantined'The_Donald..

I believe Reddit had its own motives in this case and it I can imagine how it could be related to the Oregon issue. Quarantine does not equal banhammering. We'll see how it is developing. I refrain from jumping onto conclusions for now.

Petrolheadia wrote:
White Christian Nationalists wrote:Its clear to see to anyone who follows politics closely that )ews and israel have an immense amount of power over the US *and* IN the US. They work together as the eternal victim to consolidate power for themselves and subvert their host society. Jews who are staunch globohomo multiculti mass immigration in the states and Europe are ring wing nationalists for israel, Anyone with an IQ above room temperature will see this massive double standard on the daily if they keep up with politics and news outlets. Students of history know they have a history of this kind of behavior and have been kicked out of various countries 109 times.

Every time I read about such Jewish conspiracies, I have two question: where do I sign up, and do I really have to follow Sabbath?

No you cant easily join Judaism. Rabbi is going to discourage you from it. You can be a Shabbos Goy though.
Last edited by Nakena on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:37 pm

Ah, got 'em T_D is a hive of cancer.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:39 pm

The South Falls wrote:Ah, got 'em T_D is a hive of cancer.

It has been around for a long time and everyone knows what it is. So its nothing new. But if it would get banned, that could be a very big signal. A quarantine is a more sensible and reasonable response until they have fixed the problems with rogue elements there inside who call to violence and engage in rule breaking behaviour.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:42 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Well, to be fair, we have strong reason to believe that Google, at least, is gonna be doing some shady conspiracy shit. Hell, there's good reason to believe they already are.

Though it's likely that some of their information suppression will be (or maybe already is) directed against pro-trust-busting Democrats too.

I know there's some video floating around by that shitty media that's constantly caught doctoring footage as they try catch people out where some Google executive talks about fixing algorithms that's put forward as evidence they're trying to suppress Trump.. hence above I note how you can see the topic trends as they coalesce into talking points expressed here.

十年

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:56 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:Well, to be fair, we have strong reason to believe that Google, at least, is gonna be doing some shady conspiracy shit. Hell, there's good reason to believe they already are.

I know there's some video floating around by that shitty media that's constantly caught doctoring footage as they try catch people out where some Google executive talks about fixing algorithms that's put forward as evidence they're trying to suppress Trump..

The exec in question responding incredibly quickly, and the video being removed from Youtube, very much lend credibility to it.
It's the Streisand effect, in a sense, but instead of just making the information more well-known after being effectively told to not look for it, it also arouses further suspicion that maybe, just maybe, they were right this time.

I'd review the footage myself, but it's not only been removed from Youtube, but now Vimeo as well. I think it might be still on their site, though, so I'll check it there.

Also, calling it "fixing algorithms" is like calling lootboxes a "surprise mechanic", but with a bonus Freudian slip. Though, speaking of algorithms, you know Google's suggestions when you type something in? Yeah, certain phrases (like, for example, "hillary clinton emails") give no recommendations. It's not just a weird quirk of search engines or anything, every other search engine I checked, besides Ask, gave recommendations, for this example phrase

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
I know there's some video floating around by that shitty media that's constantly caught doctoring footage as they try catch people out where some Google executive talks about fixing algorithms that's put forward as evidence they're trying to suppress Trump..

The exec in question responding incredibly quickly, and the video being removed from Youtube, very much lend credibility to it.
It's the Streisand effect, in a sense, but instead of just making the information more well-known after being effectively told to not look for it, it also arouses further suspicion that maybe, just maybe, they were right this time.

I'd review the footage myself, but it's not only been removed from Youtube, but now Vimeo as well. I think it might be still on their site, though, so I'll check it there.

Also, calling it "fixing algorithms" is like calling lootboxes a "surprise mechanic", but with a bonus Freudian slip. Though, speaking of algorithms, you know Google's suggestions when you type something in? Yeah, certain phrases (like, for example, "hillary clinton emails") give no recommendations. It's not just a weird quirk of search engines or anything, every other search engine I checked, besides Ask, gave recommendations, for this example phrase

I'd imagine what she was actually saying is similar to what Zuckerberg has just noted in Aspen.. that the proliferation of fake media - which was heavily skewed against Clinton and for Trump in 2016 - is an issue regardless of who benefits to a degree, and that they're looking to find ways to fix this.

Project Veritas is known for its doctoring, contextual misinformation and general bullshit.

十年

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:The exec in question responding incredibly quickly, and the video being removed from Youtube, very much lend credibility to it.

I'd imagine what she was actually saying is similar to what Zuckerberg has just noted in Aspen.. that the proliferation of fake media - which was heavily skewed against Clinton and for Trump in 2016 - is an issue regardless of who benefits to a degree, and that they're looking to find ways to fix this.

That's rather optimistic of you.
I'd rather not have big conglomerates be the ones to decide what constitutes "fake media", but instead the general public. Perhaps through some sort of website where articles can be rated based on accuracy, bias, and quality, with these scores then being used to create an aggregate score for journalists, editors, and media outlets.
Btw, Zuckerberg and Facebook aren't good examples to follow.

Project Veritas is known for its doctoring, contextual misinformation and general bullshit.

Broken clocks are right twice a day, and given the rather extreme reaction to the video by Google, Youtube, and now Vimeo, I think it's likely we're seeing one of those times where the broken clock isn't only right, but hits the nail on the head a little too hard.
Last edited by Proctopeo on Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

That's rather optimistic of you.
I'd rather not have big conglomerates be the ones to decide what constitutes "fake media", but instead the general public. Perhaps through some sort of website where articles can be rated based on accuracy, bias, and quality, with these scores then being used to create an aggregate score for journalists and media outlets.

Broken clocks are right twice a day, and given the rather extreme reaction to the video by Google, Youtube, and now Vimeo, I think it's likely we're seeing one of those times where the broken clock isn't only right, but hits the nail on the head a little too hard.

She responded on Medium.. hardly a massive action, and what she said is..

“Project Veritas has edited the video to make it seem that I am a powerful executive who was confirming that Google is working to alter the 2020 election.

"On both counts, this is absolute, unadulterated nonsense, of course.

“In a casual restaurant setting, I was explaining how Google’s Trust and Safety team (a team I used to work on) is working to help prevent the types of online foreign interference that happened in 2016.

“Google has been very public about the work that our teams have done since 2016 on this, so it’s hardly a revelation.”

Seems entirely reasonable to me knowing the history of Project Veritas.

十年

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:37 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:That's rather optimistic of you.
I'd rather not have big conglomerates be the ones to decide what constitutes "fake media", but instead the general public. Perhaps through some sort of website where articles can be rated based on accuracy, bias, and quality, with these scores then being used to create an aggregate score for journalists and media outlets.

She responded on Medium.. hardly a massive action, and what she said is..

She's not the only person to respond. Perhaps one of the few with words, though.

“Project Veritas has edited the video to make it seem that I am a powerful executive who was confirming that Google is working to alter the 2020 election.

"On both counts, this is absolute, unadulterated nonsense, of course.

“In a casual restaurant setting, I was explaining how Google’s Trust and Safety team (a team I used to work on) is working to help prevent the types of online foreign interference that happened in 2016.

“Google has been very public about the work that our teams have done since 2016 on this, so it’s hardly a revelation.”

Seems entirely reasonable to me knowing the history of Project Veritas.

Sorry, still more inclined to believe the ones being censored than the ones doing the censoring. It's the principle of the thing.

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Duhon wrote:
Nakena wrote:
I doubt that the suffering on this world has been much increased or decreased through the actions of Donald Trump. Some of his predecessors have an argueably worse record in this regard.

Except now, he's the lynchpin of a worldwide movement for some form of libertarianism, one that recognizes there is virtue in ganging up and beating oligarchs senseless now so they can wreak havoc later, instead of an isolated figure like Nixon.

FTFY
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:55 pm

Trump whining that India has responded to US tariffs by putting tariffs on US products. India First.
Everything is intertwinkled

First American Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby First American Empire » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:16 am

Northern Davincia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

>assuming he actually did those things
Obstruction of justice, maybe.

He was caught on camera bragging about committing sexual assault and literally everyone saw it.
The American Empire is a socially progressive absolute monarchy run by the heirs of Emperor Norton. It started off at MT but has rapidly advanced to PMT through interdimensional travel. All NSstats are used, except for tax rate and population. Factbooks are currently under reconstruction.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:22 am

First American Empire wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:>assuming he actually did those things
Obstruction of justice, maybe.

He was caught on camera bragging about committing sexual assault and literally everyone saw it.

Something something just locker room talk something something boys will be boys
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:28 am

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:37 am

:rofl: It's a tongue in check quip. Is humor/snark really lost on many people?
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:40 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:

:rofl: It's a tongue in check quip. Is humor/snark really lost on many people?

Translation: "Oh shit they said something bad pretend it's a joke"
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:41 am

Vassenor wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote: :rofl: It's a tongue in check quip. Is humor/snark really lost on many people?

It really clearly is though.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:48 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

They should leave telling jokes to the professionals.
Everything is intertwinkled

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:29 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Sarcasm, a dead language east of the Atlantic and west of the don....
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:43 am

Funny how it's only ever sarcasm when a Republican says something problematic. :roll:
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General