NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XVI: Raising the Barr

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Telconi wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
Invading the Middle East is what destabilized it. Leaving it is what the US should have done 19 years ago.

Also this. Our attempts to play kingmaker in the ME made this mess.

It's not so much us as Iran and the Sauds.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:Lol the one time there's bipartisanship in Congress is one the rare occasion when Trump goes against the military industrial complex.

Quite intrigueing isn't it?

Bear Stearns wrote:We need to pull out of the Middle East entirely. Tired of my country being dragged into these dark age desert religious wars for oil.

That happens if when a Leviathan is being created and then a few generations later people no longer know to ride it. It becomes then the willing beast for those who understand best to ride it and its nature.

Unfortunatly that have been the Neocons until recently.
Last edited by Nakena on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:Lol the one time there's bipartisanship in Congress is one the rare occasion when Trump goes against the military industrial complex.

We need to pull out of the Middle East entirely. Tired of my country being dragged into these dark age desert religious wars for oil.

You won't care, but the Republicans see that permanently alienating the Kurds by letting another mustachioed dictator slaughter them after promising to help them is going to tear off America's ass in the future.

This is actually the second time America has done this against the Kurds for the record. The first time lead to gassings.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:03 pm

Valrifell wrote:

We need to pull out of the Middle East entirely. Tired of my country being dragged into these dark age desert religious wars for oil.

The US imports most of it's oil from Canada, Venezuela, Mexico, and Saudi Arabia. Three of which aren't in the Middle East and one of which has been extremely stable and not in need of liberating.

Which makes sense, if you think about it. Transportation is expensive as fuck and pipelines are super convenient, so nearby nations will naturally make up the majority of imports, it's also easier to trade in nations that aren't being bombed to smithereens. This is not even factoring in the fact that, since the turn of the millennia, the US has grown increasingly independent with oil as we increase domestic production.

EDIT TO ADD: also the Kurds are most likely going to be victims of horrendous atrocities because the Turks detest them with a violent passion. Letting war crimes happen is *checks notes* bad.

The war in Iraq wasn't about importing oil to the US, it was about ensuring Iraq didn't mess with commodities prices and that the oil kept flowing to Japan and Europe. It was still an unjustifiable war for oil. Every single US intervention in Middle East has been a long-term failure. It is time to go home.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:03 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Gormwood wrote:You won't care, but the Republicans see that permanently alienating the Kurds by letting another mustachioed dictator slaughter them after promising to help them is going to tear off America's ass in the future.

This is actually the second time America has done this against the Kurds for the record. The first time lead to gassings.

Letting a group of peoples fall to genocide is perfectly acceptable because... uh... they're the wrong nation.

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:03 pm

this is literally to keep isis (not destroyed, world issue) and the turks (not attacking unless us troops leave) out
this is literally not the time that spiel works

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:04 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:

You want the nice shit about being the biggest economic power in the world then you have to accept the bad shit about enforcing that position. At one point during the British Empire about 50% of UK taxation was going towards the navy to defend British interests.

I don't want empire, because imperialism is expensive and immoral.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:04 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Also this. Our attempts to play kingmaker in the ME made this mess.

It's not so much us as Iran and the Sauds.

It's not us playing kingmaker, it's the products of us playing kingmaker that done it!
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:04 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:This is actually the second time America has done this against the Kurds for the record. The first time lead to gassings.

Letting a group of peoples fall to genocide is perfectly acceptable because... uh... they're the wrong nation.

Why is it America's job to do something about it? Let Europe fight this one. Let's see how much they enjoy a decade-long occupation in a Middle Eastern shithole.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
You want the nice shit about being the biggest economic power in the world then you have to accept the bad shit about enforcing that position. At one point during the British Empire about 50% of UK taxation was going towards the navy to defend British interests.

You work in finance (or want to, I don't quite recall which), either way you're currently LARPing as a failed investment bank. Morality hasn't really been applicable to you lot.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Why is it America's job to do something about it? Let Europe fight this one. Let's see how much they enjoy a decade-long occupation in a Middle Eastern shithole.

Because we're the most armed to do it? Like, we were literally already there. It took a concerted effort to open the Kurds up to potential genocide, this isn't the path of least resistance.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Gormwood wrote:

You won't care, but the Republicans see that permanently alienating the Kurds by letting another mustachioed dictator slaughter them after promising to help them is going to tear off America's ass in the future.

Alienating a Middle Eastern tribe is worth keeping America out of that part of the world.

What do you actually want? A US invasion of Turkey? Permanent occupation of Kurdistan? Are you going to fight in these wars?
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Telconi wrote:
Duhon wrote:
well ah if people ahhh unironically ahhhhhh use ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

MANDATE OF MANDATE OF MANDATE OF HEAVENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

i ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh guess AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We Qing Dynasty now.

qin tel qin
no wait shi huangdi was a legalist
wait i need to shout into the void a little more
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

You work in finance (or want to, I don't quite recall which), either way you're currently LARPing as a failed investment bank. Morality hasn't really been applicable to you lot.

Weirdest ad hominen I've seen in awhile. I can't criticize imperialism and wars built on rather faulty premises because of my job/username...?
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Gormwood wrote:You won't care, but the Republicans see that permanently alienating the Kurds by letting another mustachioed dictator slaughter them after promising to help them is going to tear off America's ass in the future.

Alienating a Middle Eastern tribe is worth keeping America out of that part of the world.

What do you actually want? A US invasion of Turkey? Permanent occupation of Kurdistan? Are you going to fight in these wars?

Turkey would back down if pressure was applied to get them to do so, none has been attempted.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Because we're the most armed to do it? Like, we were literally already there. It took a concerted effort to open the Kurds up to potential genocide, this isn't the path of least resistance.

Maybe America shouldn't be so armed.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Weirdest ad hominen I've seen in awhile. I can't criticize imperialism and wars built on rather faulty premises because of my job/username...?

It's a joke, see, that people in finance don't have morals.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:08 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Turkey would back down if pressure was applied to get them to do so, none has been attempted.

Well, a strongly worded tweet.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:08 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Maybe America shouldn't be so armed.

Maybe some people like me don't want to live under Sino-Russian hegemony... though granted maybe you do.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:08 pm

Nakena wrote:

Bear Stearns wrote:We need to pull out of the Middle East entirely. Tired of my country being dragged into these dark age desert religious wars for oil.

That happens if when a Leviathan is being created and then a few generations later people no longer know to ride it. It becomes then the willing beast for those who understand best to ride it and its nature.

Sudden liberals are warhawks now.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:08 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:

Man, you guys really hated sunsets.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

alienating a mideastern tribe was what led to 9/11
as much as pulling back on us overseas military commitments would be right in my book
exposing the kurds to genocide is simply not it

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

"I may want to create and perpetuate rediculous, decades long conflict amongst people in a socially backwards economically depressed part of the world. But at least I don't work at a bank, you monster!"
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Nakena wrote:

Sudden liberals are warhawks now.

Yeah, I'd like to avoid seeing the Kurds indiscriminately killed and displaced by Turkish soldiers, which would happen, so I guess I'm the bad guy :/

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:

That happens when an Empire's policy changes every 4-8 years randomly and unpredictably based on the outcome of popularity contests. :^)

Bear Stearns wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Cheapest and laziest one too.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General